Character Generation

load previous

Len

Apr 13, 2022 3:26 pm
Here are the book's relationships for my character's occupation (Sorcerer)

... looks at you sideways and seems afraid of you.
... doesn't realize her own inner strength. Can you bring it forth?
... doubts your magical powers. The fool!
Apr 13, 2022 3:59 pm
KCC says:
When are you hoping to start play?
The only thing I care about is not losing momentum. I'll be ready to start when the groups are and I'm totally okay with starting one and then the other when the players are ready.
Apr 13, 2022 4:10 pm
Len says:
Here are the book's relationships for my character's occupation (Sorcerer)

... looks at you sideways and seems afraid of you.
... doesn't realize her own inner strength. Can you bring it forth?
... doubts your magical powers. The fool!
If I may be so bold, I bet Viognu doubts your magical powers! I mean, sure, she's seen you do some minor tricks, but to call yourself a sorcerer? Is she (in her perspective) only keeping you around because you … owe her silver but doesn’t seem to want to repay it.
Squadfather44 says:
@cowleyc- Given Bailin"s skill with the Longbow, perhaps the 2nd choice of yours would fit.
That makes a lot of sense, and I dig it! She's not a combatant (lover vs fighter and all that), and so she probably got in a touch spot where she had to flee. In swoops the brave Bailin on his veritable white steed! And now Viognu reads into their relationship too much, waiting for you to make your claim on the life debt.
Aironfabio says:
cowleyc says:
I like the idea of using the book-provided connections as prompts.
… owes you silver but doesn’t seem to want to repay it.
… saved your life once. What does she want in return?
… is your ticket to fame and riches. Stay close.
Baltzhar can be either 2nd or 3rd for you...
Balthazar shares a very similar worldview to Viognu, and a complementary skillset. They may even have decided to leave Dwarven society together to make their way into the world. How did that happen?
To say that Baltzhar is a bodyguard isn't quite right. He's earned his place as Viognu's partner. She handles the money and the talking. He handles the money lost or stolen, and what happens after the talking. One might say they were friends, if they didn't know Viognu's policy; there are no friends, only investments. Without him, Viognu would have nobody she trusts, and without him many would try to walk all over her. (Just brainstorming here, seeing what sticks or misses)
Apr 13, 2022 4:12 pm
Team 1! As we build our characters, it seems that journeying is an aspect in which everyone should try to participate. Does anyone have certain tasks covered? As of now, Viognu has no job other than talking really pretty, and can move a skill point and/or talent around to handle something.
Apr 13, 2022 4:38 pm
cowleyc says:

To say that Baltzhar is a bodyguard isn't quite right. He's earned his place as Viognu's partner. She handles the money and the talking. He handles the money lost or stolen, and what happens after the talking. One might say they were friends, if they didn't know Viognu's policy; there are no friends, only investments. Without him, Viognu would have nobody she trusts, and without him many would try to walk all over her. (Just brainstorming here, seeing what sticks or misses)
"I understand my relationship with Baltzhar is just an investment, but it's one that keeps churning profits" ?

And mine towards you could be:

"On the battlefield I don't need it, but I know Viognu will cover my blind spots in a market"

What do you say?
Apr 13, 2022 4:38 pm
Harrigan says:
What was your PC's story, C1NDER? Mine could easily have been raised by the same sisters, until which time as she was plucked from their number (along with her sister) for a certain purpose. Recently, she's found her way back, without her sister.
Here's my background that's I've mocked up -

My character is Truth Seeker Doraval. At a young age he was accused of a terrible crime and shunned from his village. Left to wander alone and expected to die, he was taken in by a wise druid, Truth Seeker Finar. Finar taught him everything he knew and raised the boy, setting him with grueling tasks of physical and mental prowess. Beyond all, Finar taught him the ways of their order - Truth Seekers were meant to find harmony with nature, in which all living forms are connected, and to find truth in all matters of the natural world. When the Blood Mist fell, Finar became enamored with the idea of searching for answers - what was it? Why was it? One morning, after leaving to gather roots and meat for the day's meals, Finar never returned. Upon closer scrutiny, Doraval found that much more of Finar's traveling gear was taken than expected. Where had his master gone? It would not have been like him to leave Doraval without telling him, but when hours turned to days, then days turned to weeks, Doraval knew his master was not returning any time recently. And so Doraval gathered his things and set forth, with no expectation of returning to his home, to find answers.
Apr 13, 2022 4:40 pm
Aironfabio says:

"I understand my relationship with Baltzhar is just an investment, but it's one that keeps churning profits" ?

And mine towards you could be:

"On the battlefield I don't need it, but I know Viognu will cover my blind spots in a market"

What do you say?
Oh, that's good! I like it! Also, I want to apologize in advance for my autocorrect insisting I spell your characters name Balthazar. It's gonna slip through on occasion.
Apr 13, 2022 4:51 pm
Last edited July 5, 2022 5:40 am
Apr 13, 2022 4:52 pm
My formative life events were:

Hunted & Studied with a Master

My background has my character venturing out alone to find answers about his master's fate, but as a druid of the order of Truth Seekers, he would endeavor to find answers to many things he comes across, especially those pertaining to the natural order of the world, and to include helping others find answers and truth.

The resources I've seen show that members of the Raven Sisters travel in small groups. RageRed pointed out that the group would fall in well with a druid due to their proclivity towards nature/animals. My character could have run into your group, if you were traveling at the time maybe.

Does one of your characters have a particularly driving mystery or question they are trying to find answers for? Doraval might attach himself to the group to help that person find their answers in exchange for protection in traveling.

EDIT:
RageRed says:
OOC:
She and C1NDER's character have probably known each other most of their lives. She was probably introduced to KCC's character through Harrigan's character (Elves generally have a respect for those Ailanders who are of the Church of the Raven and that respect would be mutual). I don't know enough about Nezz's goblin yet to make suggestions.
This works for me! My druid and his master could have lived in or near Askiena's village and could have interacted with her for a long time. I'm sure there would have been some trade and quite a bit of interaction between the local Raven Sisters and them.
Last edited April 13, 2022 4:58 pm
Apr 13, 2022 5:12 pm
Relationship thoughts so far...

Harrigan's PC is like family to me.

Doraval and I are the best of friends.

Len

Apr 13, 2022 7:28 pm
Quote:
If I may be so bold, I bet Viognu doubts your magical powers! I mean, sure, she's seen you do some minor tricks, but to call yourself a sorcerer? Is she (in her perspective) only keeping you around because you … owe her silver but doesn’t seem to want to repay it.
I'm down with your character doubting Hargrimm's powers, but owing silver seems like a pretty easy conflict to resolve. I can't think of a good reason my character wouldn't repay you other than they are broke or they are a jerk. Any suggestions?
Apr 13, 2022 8:13 pm
maybe it's not silver per se, maybe you have a binding contractual agreement
Apr 13, 2022 8:13 pm
Len says:

I'm down with your character doubting Hargrimm's powers, but owing silver seems like a pretty easy conflict to resolve. I can't think of a good reason my character wouldn't repay you other than they are broke or they are a jerk. Any suggestions?
I was looking through some of the suggestions WarDomo posted, but none of them jumped out to me. How does Hargrimm feel about the sassy dwarf with whom he keeps company? How does he feel about a dwarf that doesn't exemplify what it is to be a dwarf? One who is more at home with the open sky than under the reliable stone?

Len

Apr 13, 2022 11:09 pm
WarDomo says:
maybe it's not silver per se, maybe you have a binding contractual agreement
That could work.

It sounds like Baltzhar and Viognu are profit-minded team. Maybe the two decided you wanted to take on a Sorcerer into the team to counteract supernatural threats on the latest expedition, but taking on another full partner into the enterprise is a costly deal and you have yet to be convinced that my services are worth the investment.
cowleyc says:
I was looking through some of the suggestions WarDomo posted, but none of them jumped out to me. How does Hargrimm feel about the sassy dwarf with whom he keeps company? How does he feel about a dwarf that doesn't exemplify what it is to be a dwarf? One who is more at home with the open sky than under the reliable stone?
I'm sure the two will butt heads. As a Stone Singer, Hargrimm probably has some strong ties to traditional Dwarven culture and might be judgemental of Viognu's choices. But Hargrimm needs a strong team by his side in order to explore the Forbidden Lands and maybe Viognu needs a supernatural ace up his sleeve to ensure his venture's profitablity?

I'm suggesting a relationship with a fair bit of friction, and I'd only want to go forward with that if you are comfortable with it cowleyc. These kind of relationships can be a lot of fun, but only when both players are into it. If we decide to do it, don't hesitate to reach out OoC any time to make sure the friction doesn't extend into the player relationship :)
Apr 13, 2022 11:50 pm
I'm absolutely down with that. That's sort of what I was imagining. Viognu hires a sorcerer not because of his power (is moving a few rocks really considered power?), but because of the power of the name itself. That you dress in robes is a bonus. Did she have to pay off your previous employer/family?
Apr 14, 2022 12:14 am
RageRed says:
Relationship thoughts so far...

Harrigan's PC is like family to me.

Doraval and I are the best of friends.
This works for me!

KCC

Apr 14, 2022 1:38 am
Does Group B have any strong feelings about the Rust Brothers? I know many of you hold affinity with this Raven business. And a few of the books dark secrets revolve around being on the run from the Rusties. Could be a good group backstory?

No pressure. I might just use it for myself if no one else does.

Edit: I see it is in the random background generator booklet. Reason for being together number 43-44!
Last edited April 14, 2022 1:40 am
Apr 14, 2022 1:50 am
Askiena hates the Rust Brothers. They killed her mother.
Apr 14, 2022 1:57 am
One of the main reason my character is leaving home is to find his mentor/teacher. Could be a piece of evidence was left behind that links his disappearance to the Rust Brothers - or maybe they took him captive explicitly.

Len

Apr 14, 2022 3:22 am
cowleyc says:
I'm absolutely down with that. Viognu hires a sorcerer not because of his power (is moving a few rocks really considered power?), but because of the power of the name itself. That you dress in robes is a bonus. Did she have to pay off your previous employer/family?
I don't see it as an employer/employee relationship. I can picture the negotiation scene now, with Viognu trying to buy his services:

Hargrimm
Hargrimm laughs at the mentions of coins. "You want to pay me? A sorcerer deals in bargains and contracts, not for coins but for power. I will consent to working with you in exchange for an equal cut in the venture. Full partner, sharing in the risks and the rewards and having equal say with the other members on all matters."

He folds his arms and adds, "Robes don't come cheap."

I'd like to work together with you to tell a story where our characters gain mutual, even if begrudging, admiration (if they live long enough).
Last edited April 14, 2022 3:33 am
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.