Group 2 Backstory

load previous
Apr 18, 2022 6:34 am
I like the survival aspect. The idea of running out of water is both terrifying and exciting for a change of pace.
Apr 18, 2022 7:06 am
Taking rope and a grappling hook for Daela's two trade items... buying flint and steel, a blanket, torches, and a fishing hook and line. Leaving her with 2 coppers!
Apr 18, 2022 8:16 am
Doraval gets 1 trade item - I took a magnifying glass, which is a rather expensive, required component for one of his spells.

Otherwise, I blew the rest of his 2 silver on a piece of chalk, 2 pieces of wood, and 1 unit of leather.

I plan to use the raw materials to make a load of arrows, a short bow, and maybe a sling as soon as I'm able.

If anyone has any thoughts or advice on this, I'm open to suggestions :)
Apr 18, 2022 1:12 pm
Thoughts: we need money, raw materials, armor, and better weapons, pretty much straight away. And pack animals! Forbidden Lands is unforgiving when it comes to encumbrance...

KCC

Apr 18, 2022 1:39 pm
Are you talking about spending our starting money on this stuff, or our motivation for plundering our first location?
Apr 18, 2022 4:00 pm
I’m talking about our ongoing motivation. :)
Apr 18, 2022 4:09 pm
Seems to make a lot of sense to me. I really like that pretty much everything is craftable and the requirements are all very clearly spelled out.

Question - we're assumed to have basic clothes, right? I noticed they had 'rags' and other clothing on the gear list, but I assumed that was for spare clothes beyond what we already own. Didn't want to spend my starting coin on rags lol

EDIT: It occurs to me also that it might be helpful to make some lists to get a an idea what we all have going for strengths in the group.

How about skills? Rolling 4 dice gives you just slightly better than 50% chance of rolling at least one success. 5 dice is right under 60% and rolling 6 dice ups that to about 66%. I'm going to list everything that I can currently roll at least 5 dice on below - these are the skills I have a better chance of succeeding at than failing.

Move (5D6)
Marksmanship (5D6)
Scouting (6D6)
Lore (7D6)
Survival (6D6)
Insight (6D6)
Last edited April 18, 2022 4:48 pm

KCC

Apr 18, 2022 10:47 pm
While I did take a spyglass because I rarely like deliberating over gear lists, should we try to set our selves up properly for wilderness travel?

Tents, field kitchens and such? Or is it every man or himself (initially)?
Apr 19, 2022 12:16 am
I only have 2 silver so I'll hold onto that and just keep whatever gear I have. Being over-prepared is boring! Lol
Apr 19, 2022 1:13 am
I also only started with 2 silver. Tents and sleeping furs and such only give us extra dice for surviving outdoors, right?
Apr 19, 2022 3:52 am
nezzeraj says:
I only have 2 silver so I'll hold onto that and just keep whatever gear I have. Being over-prepared is boring! Lol
Over-prepared, heh. We are *not* over-prepared!

(We need saddle bags for your wolf, btw.)

Daela also started with only 2 silver, so what she brings to the table is pretty meager: torches, rope and a grappling hook, a blanket to keep her warm, flint and steel, and fishing gear. Skill-wise she has Survival and Scouting at 4+1 and Stealth at 5+2. She'd be decent at Leading the Way, Keeping Watch, and Foraging / Hunting / Fishing...
Apr 19, 2022 4:29 am
What kind of weapons does everyone start with?

I'll have a knife, and i mentioned before, some crafting materials for a shortbow and arrows.

The crafting materials are 18 copper out of starting 2 silver - does that seem wasteful, and should the priority be more survival-oriented items?
Last edited April 19, 2022 4:32 am
Apr 19, 2022 4:59 am
Daela has a dagger. No armor! Zoinks.

I like the crafting materials, personally, C1NDER...

KCC

Apr 19, 2022 5:16 am
I’ll take a small tent with my two silver!

It appears that my character is the only one not approved yet.

Perhaps I should have put some points into Survival, as I don’t seem to excel at any per-Quarter action. :D
Last edited April 19, 2022 5:20 am
Apr 19, 2022 5:45 am
I can't see a single character off the bottom menu yet...
Apr 19, 2022 6:41 am
Harrigan says:
I can't see a single character off the bottom menu yet...
I can't either, you're not alone. And thanks for the input on the gear, I'll leave it alone.
Last edited April 19, 2022 6:43 am
Apr 19, 2022 6:49 am
I have a Spear and short bow. Picking up saddle bags is a good idea, I'll look into getting those. We need to think about survival options. It seems Harrigan will be fishing since he has the gear. I could do the cooking.
Apr 19, 2022 6:57 am
nezzeraj says:
Picking up saddle bags is a good idea.
Let me know when you find those. Oh, and saddles too.
Last edited July 5, 2022 5:21 am
Apr 19, 2022 6:15 pm
Sorry, was a little late to the party. Characters have been approved and it looks like you all are about ready to embark. Need more time? If not, I'll try to get us started in the next day or two.
Apr 19, 2022 7:00 pm
Sounds great to me! Looking forward to getting into it
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.