OOC and character creation

Apr 14, 2022 1:53 pm
Feel free to bring your existing level 2s - or swap them about a bit.
Apr 14, 2022 2:03 pm
I like my character. The only thing I'll adjust is that he's joined up with the newspaper because it will be a good way to learn about the city and all the players. Maybe even give him access to areas and people he might not otherwise be able to encounter.
Apr 14, 2022 2:07 pm
Arr. I think a sleazy warlock would make a perfect reporter.
Apr 14, 2022 2:38 pm
I might swap mine out - but I have a character in mind who got abandoned after a different game faded away
Last edited April 14, 2022 3:49 pm
Apr 14, 2022 2:45 pm
Cool - let me know if you need another class adding to the templates.
Apr 15, 2022 8:26 am
Discord (optional)
If you want discord notifications then join this server.

Character sheets
I'd recommend using the new custom character sheets for your character, rather than a deprecated D&D 5e sheet.

Here are some templates. To use one, expand it, then click "Create Character" in the top right.
Apr 15, 2022 10:25 am
I shall make my character this evening.

Point buy / std array?
Any special restrictions? Only PHB and Tasha Cauldron right?

I have plans to go Rogue.
Apr 15, 2022 10:29 am
Point buy or standard array. PHB, XGtE, Tasha's (including any optional features and custom lineages). Feel free to choose any skills for your background e.g. Charlatan doesn't have to be Deception/Sleight of Hand - choose whatever makes sense for your backstory.
Apr 15, 2022 1:05 pm
I have submitted my character now - it's a firbolg monk for others' reference
Apr 15, 2022 3:47 pm
Hi @KoldikSteelskin and @rujasu.
Apr 15, 2022 4:10 pm
Just to remind people that this is a public game.
[ +- ] If you really need to say something privately - this is how to use notes
Apr 15, 2022 4:53 pm
Hello everyone!
Apr 15, 2022 5:30 pm
At The moment I'm thinking Halflling Barbarian, Though I'm still pondering what makes him angry. I'm throwing around the Idea of two personalities one when angry another one when calm.
Apr 15, 2022 5:57 pm
Also, think what sort of newspaper reporter they'd be.

Are they a click-baity reporter (Ten ways to kill a goblin - you'll never believe number 3)? Fake news? Do they use newspaper headlines (ALEHOUSE MAYHEM KILLS 3)? Are they the cartoonist or photographer (however THAT works)? Maybe they write for the cookery and lifestyle section (which makes the number of corpses adventurers normally create difficult to fit into stories). Perhaps they write political editorials. Have fun with it.
Apr 15, 2022 11:21 pm
I'm way too much of a smart-ass to be anything other than the humor/offbeat section of the newspaper. Maybe I'll run Bard.
Apr 15, 2022 11:23 pm
Submitted my character (Half Elf Rogue)

Maybe they are complete tabloid style:

Is [insert Lord of Waterdeep] involved in illegal schemes? Read it all here.

I would love it if it isn't too much of a serious journalism thing.
Last edited April 15, 2022 11:24 pm
Apr 16, 2022 5:38 am
I think my guy probably posts the letters and comments section, and also maybe spends far too long making those fancy big letters at the start of medieval manuscripts that take up a quarter of a page
Apr 16, 2022 7:14 am
Cettish says:
I would love it if it isn't too much of a serious journalism thing.
It's up to the players to define the tone. If two of you are Woodward and Bernstein style serious investigative journalists, two of you think you're working for Buzzfeed, and one of you thinks it's The Onion - then that's the weird sort of newspaper it'll be.

I plan this to be quite lighthearted. This Waterdeep is a cartoon fantasy city - like Terry Pratchett's Ankh-Morpork but on the Sword Coast.
Apr 16, 2022 7:16 am
We have a firbolg monk, a half-elf rogue, a halfling barbarian, and a fey-touched warlock.

I think we're just waiting for @rujasu.
Apr 16, 2022 12:14 pm
I'll be a very pesemistic Individual, I love to write about certain doom which often leads to people wanting apologies from me
eg. [Waterdeep Lord] plans to overthrow and create an Oppressive Regim.
Also I always make my titles way to long.

If they would ever gave me a front page spot though it would be really good.
(The long and short of it, he knows a few big words and uses them in his short articles to fill the space.)

The reason he works there is because he sometimes stumbles on things that other people are sent to better investigate.
Apr 16, 2022 1:59 pm
Hmmm maybe we'd all make up a short opening article :)
Apr 16, 2022 2:16 pm
Cettish says:
I won't enforce it - but inspiration for anyone who does.
Apr 16, 2022 5:56 pm
Expect one of mine this weekend :)
Apr 17, 2022 1:42 am
Adam says:
Cettish says:
I won't enforce it - but inspiration for anyone who does.
Ohh, I can do that not that I care for inspiration ;)
[ +- ] THE LARGEST SCAM EVER WILL DESTROY WATERDEEP
Apr 17, 2022 2:38 am
Adam says:
We have a firbolg monk, a half-elf rogue, a halfling barbarian, and a fey-touched warlock.

I think we're just waiting for @rujasu.
Just submitted a mostly-complete character sheet, so add a half-elf bard to the mix.
Apr 17, 2022 6:59 am
[ +- ] Penultimate page
Apr 17, 2022 7:34 am
Nice! Inspiration added.
Apr 17, 2022 12:47 pm
I just posted my article here. But removed it. Instead, I posted it in the IC channel.
Apr 17, 2022 3:07 pm
Inspiration added. Like many DMs, I allow inspiration to be used for a reroll, rather than needing to be declared in advance for advantage.

It's like a luck point from the lucky feat.
Apr 18, 2022 3:53 pm
I'm thinking my guys is like a markets and finance reporter.

Bandits took out a trade caravan with iron, expect blacksmith prices to go up! He's not the sharpest tool in the shed though so you may not want to take his financial advice :)
Apr 21, 2022 1:10 pm
WarDomo says:
OOC:
Are we all kinda doing our own thing or should we have some semblance of a group?
We're all headed in a bit of the same direction, at least towards the docks, and I've made Vincent join with the rest of you after he gets a picture which, at least he hopes won't take long, but then again Vincent doesn't have a ton of super strong leads at the moment and probably tends to find then in the seemingly most random places but if the others actually wish to do there job then we might end up with a bit of splitting the party.
Apr 22, 2022 12:44 pm
After all it's not like it needs to be this long...

it probably is though.

https://i.pinimg.com/564x/46/4e/4f/464e4fc3b4f7d342cc06a3edbbc11498.jpg
I imagine he caries it around in case of some conspiracy he thinks will prove true eventually along with a couple javelins and an axe, he is a barbarian after all.
Apr 22, 2022 2:19 pm
For anyone who didn't see my absences post; I'm away this weekend.
Apr 22, 2022 2:44 pm
looks like they'll be no weekend posting in this game at all then unless Flynn Patience and Jodelle want to chat because I'll at least have slower posting this weekend if at all.
Apr 22, 2022 4:18 pm
I have nothing special going on this weekend. Quiet moments in games happen :)
Apr 22, 2022 4:45 pm
Usually I'm the one moaning about quiet GP weekends. You put me to shame with your stoicism.
Apr 22, 2022 6:06 pm
Cettish says:

"Wait, what?" she asks in confusion. "Waterdeep has a squad of lycantrophes in their guard?"
Heh. I like that. No doubt Jodelle also thinks the drug squad are wandering around stoned.
Apr 22, 2022 6:07 pm
Beware the homicide squad
Apr 28, 2022 1:19 pm
I just started reading along today, and it's been so much fun! Fantastic RP, everyone! Outstanding!
Apr 28, 2022 1:25 pm
I'd forgotten how much I enjoy Waterdeep.

But you're right - the PCs have character.
Apr 28, 2022 1:31 pm
Adam says:
But you're right - the PCs have character.
yeah I decided to go a bit over the top with Vincent and then it became a lot over the top... I'm just glad I don't have to connect all the dots Vincent is connecting.
Apr 28, 2022 1:35 pm
Jabes.plays.RPG says:
I just started reading along today
Heh. Perhaps we should be channelling our inner YouTube influencer.

"Don't forget to hit bookshark and subscribe!"
Apr 28, 2022 1:40 pm
Volo would approve
May 2, 2022 12:36 pm
Hey everybody, just wanted to let you all know that I'm going to be stepping away from this game. I may have taken on one too many games lately and I've struggled to get on board with this game after the format change.

You all and Adam are crushing it. I'm just having a hard time keeping up and getting in to it.

Thanks for running the game Adam and I wish you all good Dice rolls and a ton of fun. See you in the next one.
Last edited May 2, 2022 12:36 pm
May 2, 2022 12:51 pm
Cheers buddy,

Yeah, we've all been there, and it's always wise to cull some games occasionally - especially when it's just not clicking.

I'll see you around in the forums and on the discord.
May 4, 2022 9:50 am
Just FYI - I am a bit slow to keep up at the moment. Doing major crunch time at work to hit a deadline :(
Should be better from next week
May 4, 2022 9:51 am
Boop says:
Just FYI - I am a bit slow to keep up at the moment. Doing major crunch time at work to hit a deadline :(
Thanks for the update. No problem.
May 6, 2022 4:05 pm
Oh the Kenku have been watching good movies :)
May 7, 2022 7:48 am
Boop says:
Done, woohoo
May 7, 2022 10:26 am
Heh. The last time I ran this for level 2s it was almost a TPK, and you're slicing through them like a hot knife through warm butter.
May 9, 2022 6:32 pm
Are we posting still in initiative order? I was waiting for my turn really, but I am getting a bit confused now :)
May 9, 2022 6:46 pm
Yes. It's Patience and Jodelle left to act.
May 9, 2022 11:19 pm
Wasn't trying to jump anyone's turn - Adam said "your actions" which I took to mean "everyone post what you're going to do and they'll happen in the intended order," but sorry if I caused any confusion.
May 10, 2022 6:05 am
Sorry, yes. In PBP I use what Bowlofspinach calls "chaos initiative", where players with initiative can act in any order. It works well with people in different timezones.

When I say:
https://i.imgur.com/g04M6Oo.png
I mean anybody can act (I should really start saying "your turns" for precision).

After this I'll let you know who still has turns like this:
https://i.imgur.com/Qs0mdUM.png
May 10, 2022 6:13 am
Oh. Good to know. I don't know that system at all.

It still assumes that whoever posted first acted first?
As with sneak attacks, they are dependant on my own and someone else's positioning. So it is good to know where everyone is.
May 10, 2022 6:18 am
Cettish says:
Oh. Good to know. I don't know that system at all.

It still assumes that whoever posted first acted first?
As with sneak attacks, they are dependant on my own and someone else's positioning. So it is good to know where everyone is.
Yeah. If someone has posted before you then they've acted before you. It's not according-to-WotC initiative order, but it really speeds up PBP when people are scattered around the world.

I think most DMs play it that way on GP - but I've had one DM who insisted we maintain a strict initiative order. I should have clarified.
May 10, 2022 6:41 am
Adam says:
Sorry, yes. In PBP I use what Bowlofspinach calls "chaos initiative", where players with initiative can act in any order. It works well with people in different timezones.

When I say:
https://i.imgur.com/g04M6Oo.png
I mean anybody can act (I should really start saying "your turns" for precision).

After this I'll let you know who still has turns like this:
https://i.imgur.com/Qs0mdUM.png
This would be very helpful <3
May 10, 2022 8:08 am
Adam says:
[quote="Cettish"]

I think most DMs play it that way on GP - but I've had one DM who insisted we maintain a strict initiative order. I should have clarified.
It is my first D&D on GP. Good to know :)
May 10, 2022 8:15 am
Cettish says:
It is my first D&D on GP. Good to know :)
Sorry - my fault. I knew that but seemed to have forgotten it.

When we're out of initiative (like now) then people can post whenever they like - we just rely on good manners and restraint to prevent people spamming the game without giving others a chance.
May 18, 2022 4:46 pm
My day got away from me today, I'll get something up tomorrow.
May 23, 2022 6:33 pm
I admire that you used Jodelle's action to draw her other weapon. If you'd told me that you'd imagined her walking down the sewer with one blade drawn then I wouldn't have challenged it. But it's nice when the mechanics and narrative match what's in the player's head.
May 23, 2022 7:48 pm
It worked both ways here yes.

- 1 : I had not much to do with the action yet. Didn't feel like dashing forward and be only one in short range for two rounds.
- 2 : It looked cool :)
May 24, 2022 4:42 pm
Hey Adam you missed my forwards movement, or was that an Intentional decision because of my critical failure?
May 24, 2022 4:44 pm
Huh, no. I just didn't see it. I'll update that map.
May 25, 2022 7:11 am
Sorry for my delay, I've been ill
May 25, 2022 7:32 am
No problem Boop. I'm just happy to see you.
May 25, 2022 7:42 am
@KoldikSteelskin I still chuckle when I think of little Vinnie carrying a lance. Just a reminder that it has reach but disadv when within 5' of the target.
May 31, 2022 2:46 pm
Lol if Renaer ends up getting all of the good dice in this game and carries the team
May 31, 2022 2:54 pm
I know, right? I have him down as a useless noble, but I guess you don't get to be noble without a lot of luck (even if it's just the luck to have the right parents).
Jun 14, 2022 5:47 am
Adam says:

...and that completes chapter one of WDH. It's a good place to decide if we want to stop or continue.
I can't speak for everyone else. But for me this game is one of the most fun lighthearted swashbuckling adventures I play on GP. Thanks so much for running this first chapter, Adam. I truely hope everyone is up for it to continue. I sure am.
Jun 14, 2022 7:16 am
Yup! I'm having lots of fun!
Jun 14, 2022 12:02 pm
This game has been so fun as of yet and unless it gets a whole lot worse I say continue!
Jun 14, 2022 12:31 pm
Okay. That's three and enough for a game. If need be, we can always recruit a couple more gutter press.

Those who are continuing, can you level up, please?
Jun 14, 2022 12:33 pm
Adam says:

Those who are continuing, can you level up, please?
Always!

now lets see what do I get...
Jun 14, 2022 1:00 pm
I'd like to continue as well.
Jun 14, 2022 4:00 pm
I'm leveled up, Vincent's got to get studying the Intricacies of animal speech.
[ +- ] Spirit Seeker
Jun 14, 2022 7:12 pm
I levelled up.

I said it was a fun swashbuckling adventure, and I took it quite literally as it was subclass time :)
[ +- ] Swashbuckler
Jun 15, 2022 2:37 am
Fynnhorn, or whatever their name is this week, has also levelled up.
Jun 15, 2022 5:33 am
rujasu says:
Fynnhorn, or whatever their name is this week, has also levelled up.
Has he? The character sheet looks the same.
Jun 15, 2022 7:01 am
Leveled!
Jun 16, 2022 2:21 am
Adam says:
Has he? The character sheet looks the same.
I updated it but I must have screwed up the part where I actually changed the level number. I think it's right now.

I'll post my paragraph tomorrow - didn't sleep well, been kinda winded all day.
Jun 16, 2022 6:17 am
rujasu says:
I updated it but I must have screwed up the part where I actually changed the level number. I think it's right now.
Lore bard, eh? Good choice for this game. Loads of skills to choose from.
rujasu says:
I'll post my paragraph tomorrow - didn't sleep well, been kinda winded all day.
No hurry. Rest well and play refreshed. It's no fun if you're knackered.
Jun 20, 2022 11:35 am
As you might have seen in absences, I have a bit of a home emergency at the moment. I'll try to keep things ticking over, but I will be a little slower for a week or so.
Jun 20, 2022 4:49 pm
Thanks for letting us know. Best of luck, hope things go as well as they can.
Jun 20, 2022 5:09 pm
Take your time.
Hopefully you can fix your house without much problems.
Jul 7, 2022 7:14 am
I think it's fair to say that this game fizzled out. I'll retire it.

I enjoyed it whilst it lasted, and I hope to play with you again in the future.
Jul 7, 2022 7:20 am
Unfortunate, but it was great fun.
Thank you so much for running this, Adam. I hope we get to play again some time.
Jul 7, 2022 8:20 pm
Thanks everyone.
Jul 9, 2022 6:19 am
Thank you, I agree, it was fun. <3

You do not have permission to post in this thread.