📰 A Friend in Need

load previous

Renaer Neverember

Adam

May 19, 2022 7:11 am
Renaer refuses the axe.

"Pshaw! The axe is a peasant's weapon, the arms of the common labourer. No, the sword is more fitting for one of noble blood".

He gives an elaborate and lengthy salute with the sword that looks more like a dance than the initiation of combat. If he tries that flashy nonsense with a Xanathar thug, you'll soon see that noble blood. Then, after tucking the sword in his belt, he raises a finger to the ceiling.

"To Fishgut Alley, my fine yeomen! To glory!"
According to Volo's Guide to Waterdeep, the Dock Ward is Waterdeep's most colourful ward - that colour must be brown. Reportedly, Fishgut Alley has cobblestones, but it's difficult to tell what lies under all the crap and rubbish.

You search for the entrance to the sewers; it's like looking for hay in a haystack, but eventually, you find a large grating with a daub of dirty yellow paint.

It stinks down there, but it stinks up here too. At least the sewer's stink is a little less fishy. Unfortunately, the sewer opening is a bit of a squeeze, and you'll be moving in single down there. Renaer offers to lead the way, but it's pretty clear that he's happy to be talked out of the offer.

Renaer Neverember
May 19, 2022 3:28 pm
Jodelle puts her hand on Renaer's shoulder, in a gesture to stop him from climbing down.

"I appreciate the gesture," she says. "But let me go first. I know how to be quite quiet. If the Zhentarim or Xanathar's men are down there, maybe I can take a little peek first."

She gives the others a little nod and gets ready to climb down the ladder, into the sewers as quietly as she can.

The smell! She brought a bottle of Prume's Blight and wished for it's stench now. But she didn't want the smell of rotting fruit to give her away over the smell of rotting... anything really.
OOC:
Uh oh!
Last edited May 19, 2022 3:29 pm

Rolls

Jodelle: Stealth - (1d20+5)

(1) + 5 = 6

Renaer Neverember

Adam

May 19, 2022 3:38 pm
The slick grating slips from Jodelle's fingers and clatters into the sewers below like a riot in a timpani section.

Renaer blinks innocently.

"I don't mean to brag, but I believe can match your covert prowess."
OOC:
Can I get a marching order, please?
Renaer Neverember
May 19, 2022 3:39 pm
"If your stealthy and I'm not I'd better go last."
OOC:
VINNIE IS LAST!
May 19, 2022 8:38 pm
Fynn, still suspicious of this whole sewer plan, takes up a place behind Jodelle but ahead of Renaer.
OOC:
Sort of assuming Patience is going to be in front of me here, but if not that's fine too
May 20, 2022 10:06 am
OOC:
that's fine by me
"C'mon Renaer, let's show them the way." He says, jolly and takes a deep breath before following him down. He felt blessed that he could hold his breath longer than many others he knew.

Sewers

Adam

May 20, 2022 12:51 pm
A putrid stream flows along this sewer tunnel, which leads northish and southish. To the southish, you see a tiny symbol drawn on the wall in yellow chalk: a palm-sized circle with ten equidistant spokes radiating out from its circumference.

Although you still have some light from the alley, it looks like it'll get dark as you move down these tunnels.

Sewers
May 20, 2022 12:59 pm
"my vision is entirely ineffective in complete blackness." Vincent says hoping someone else will say that it's Ok to light a torch after all Vincent doesn't know how it works in the sewers do all the criminals carry lights or can the just see in the dark?
May 21, 2022 9:17 am
"We might lose any element of surprise,", Jodelle says, instantly looking guilty after clattering down the sewer grate. Then she just gives a nod as if to say "go ahead".
May 22, 2022 4:49 am
"I can't quite see much either" Patience admits and takes a short moment to pull out a torch from his bag and light it.
"That enough light for you back there?" He asked, happy to send the torch back into the middle of the group if not.

Gaslight

Adam

May 22, 2022 5:40 pm
OOC:
I did toy with the idea of a naked flame causing an explosion but decided that I was just being mean.
The torch flickers with a blue methanic flame as you descend into the filth.
OOC:
Direction?
Gaslight
May 22, 2022 5:41 pm
"In so much as we aren't separated by some obstruction the luminescence from the torch should prove sufficient."
May 22, 2022 5:46 pm
"At least the torch sheds some color in the darkness!" Jodelle says excitedly. Not much color of course. Sewer-sludge color. Her black and white darkvision was actually better... but... is that a yellow sign over there?

She points.

"Look! Didn't the Birdman say anything about yellow markers?"

She points to the south.
May 22, 2022 9:43 pm
"Sure, may as well head south," Fynn sighs.

Floating orb with eyestalks

Adam

May 23, 2022 12:38 pm
Our heroes follow the marked sewer trail.

Imagine silent subterranean tunnels, where the only sound is an occasional echoing drip. Now imagine the opposite, because it was nothing like that. The banging and bustle of the busy Dock Ward above rattle these sewers, and there isn't the 'occasional' drip, but the loud gurgling, splatting and sloshing created by a dynamic city without enough roughage in their diet.

Waterdeep's sewers are overstressed and underdesigned. You make your way past whirlpools of excrement that carry away rolling waves of filth. Where does it all go? Put it this way, never accept a quest to venture into the underdark beneath the Dock Ward.

As you turn the corner, your torchlight casts a large circular shadow ahead. A small floating orb with multiple eyestalks drifts into view. The torchlight glints on the teeth. That's a lot of teeth.
OOC:
Rolling initiative

Rolls

Patience: Initiative: - (1d20+3)

(13) + 3 = 16

Jodelle: Initiative: - (1d20+3)

(8) + 3 = 11

Vincent Paperwood: Initiative: - (1d20+1)

(15) + 1 = 16

Fynnhorn: Initiative: - (1d20+3)

(17) + 3 = 20

Orb: Initiative - (1d20+3)

(20) + 3 = 23

Adam

May 23, 2022 12:40 pm
The small menacing orb floats towards you with eyestalks glowing.

SMACK - Patience is lifted and thrown back down the sewers. Along his flight he bowls Renaer over. The noble lands on his back in a shallow ochre puddle.

The orb chuckles maliciously as it snaps its teeth.
OOC:
Your turns

Rolls

Secret Roll

Patience: Str - Save DC12 - (1d20+1)

(7) + 1 = 8

Fynnhorn: Str - Save DC12 - (1d20-1)

(15) - 1 = 14

May 23, 2022 2:12 pm
Fynn readies their crossbow, but the quick wit of a talented poet can sting harder than any arrow.

"You stink... MORESO THAN OUR GENERAL SURROUNDINGS!"
OOC:
Vicious Mockery on the orb thing
Range:60
Attack/Save: WIS 13

You unleash a string of insults laced with subtle enchantments at a creature you can see within range. If the target can hear you (though it need not understand you), it must succeed on a Wisdom saving throw or take 1d4 psychic damage and have disadvantage on the next attack roll it makes before the end of its next turn.

Rolls

Vicious Mockery - (1d4)

(3) = 3

Adam

May 23, 2022 3:56 pm
OOC:
Feel free to roll the baddies' saving throws. Sure, you don't know the bonus - but most of the time the roll won't be ambiguous.
Meh. It's a floating ball made entirely from eyeballs and teeth. Honestly? How it smells is the least of its problems.
OOC:
@Boop,@Cettish, and @KoldikSteelskin to act.

Rolls

WIS save DC13 - (1d20+0)

(17) = 17

May 23, 2022 5:21 pm
OOC:
[ +- ] LOL :) :) :)
Jodelle looks quite in shock as Patience is launched through the group.
She walks forward, quite determined to give this ugly eye thing a beating. She stepped through the... muddy... yeah... muddy floor, looking the thing straight in the many eyes, drawing both her shortswords and flourishing them as she walks forward at fast pace.
She feels so badass for a moment.
OOC:

Move to K39 30+10ft
Free action draw sword MH
Action draw sword OH
Bonus action mini cunning dash

Last edited May 23, 2022 7:49 pm
May 23, 2022 11:38 pm
Vincent Strides Forwards and throws one of his slightly shorter handled daggers, "Please, Begone foul Creature."
OOC:
Action: Attack
Bonus: None
Movement: 25 feet forward K36
Last edited May 24, 2022 4:41 pm

Rolls

Vincent Paperwood: Javelin - Attack - (1d20+4)

(1) + 4 = 5

Vincent Paperwood: Javelin - Damage - (1d6+4)

(5) + 4 = 9

load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.