Welcome and Character Creation

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

load previous
Apr 26, 2022 12:45 pm
Quote:
I'll just present my character to give something to go on in regards to relationships.
That's a good idea. And stuff like the Problem can also be brainstormed together.
Apr 26, 2022 1:21 pm
Stefron says:
I'll just present my character to give something to go on in regards to relationships.

Birger is a computer geek. He loves programming and solving math puzzles, goes without saying he is good at math and abstract problems, however his social skills can be somewhat lacking. Maybe he sees a kindred spirit in Michael the bookworm and Robert the Weirdo though their interest differs?
His pride is winning the school chess turnament, beating some of the older students.

I'm not sure what his problems should be. I put in being socially awkward to have him work/grow on that during the mystery but I'm not sure this makes for interesting play, so I could do with some input.
OOC:
This ^ is a good idea
Erik is a tall, physically well-toned, and lightly tanned 14-year old Jock with locks of flowing blonde hair. He is known to be a top sports-kid and athlete and is the envy of many in school thanks to his Kuwahara Pantera BMX bike! A fierce and committed competitor, Erik is nonetheless known to have a good heart. He hates bullies, and doesn’t feel as uncomfortable as some of his age, being seen with younger kids. He doesn’t need to be a jerk to be cool! However, Erik is noticeably awkward around girls - fidgety even :-)
Apr 26, 2022 4:16 pm
Perhaps we could be a loveable band of misfits that have come together to escape the torments of school? Social issues seem to be a common theme so far, and I used bullying for Robbie as well.

If Birger could show Robert odd stuff about computers and/or Math, Robbie would undoubtedly be intrigued.
Last edited April 26, 2022 4:17 pm
Apr 26, 2022 9:26 pm
I like that idea Phil_Ozzy_Fer. Maybe Birger could show Robbie how to do fractal images and weird computer sounds.
Therecusant, maybe Erik could be someone's friendly big brother?
Apr 26, 2022 10:13 pm
Stefron says:
I like that idea Phil_Ozzy_Fer. Maybe Birger could show Robbie how to do fractal images and weird computer sounds.
Yes, that would make perfect sense
Apr 26, 2022 10:36 pm
Stefron says:
I'm sure Mandelbrot was using Cray Computers in the 1980's rather than ZX Spectrums! LOL
Apr 27, 2022 9:45 am
Ok, have some internet at the moment and I've been thinking over a few things for Andreas so going to drop it here for thoughts of how he fits with the group:

Andreas is 12 years old and has an older brother who he idolises but hasn't seen for a while (he left home some time ago, reason???). Since he has been gone Andreas has been borrowing some of his things (music tapes and records, his old leather jacket), he knows if his brother finds out he'll kick his ass but he misses him and part of him is hoping the more stuff he borrows the sooner his brother will come home.
Since his brother left home his mother has been very overprotective of Andreas whereas his father has been increasingly distant whereas before him and Andreas had been very close. Andreas has been getting into more and more trouble of late as this seems like the only way he gets a reaction out of his father and recently started shoplifting. He hasn't been caught doing this yet but he has been getting increasingly careless. Andreas is generally well liked but most of the adults in town, a lot of whom have been much more friendly towards him since his brother left for some reason, and has found this has meant he has been above suspicion when things have been found to be missing in stores he's been at. This has only encouraged him to take more and more risks and he now has quite the stash of 'borrowed' items.

Iconic Item - older brothers old leather jacket.
Problem - has recently started shoplifting for fun/attention. Hasn't been caught yet but has a stash of items that will cause problems if found. Also may have been caught on tape in at least one place.
Pride - thinks he's perfected the 'art' of 'borrowing' things. Will be likely to try his hand at taking something right from under the nose of someone as he thinks they'll never notice and even if they did he can talk his way out of any consequences.
Relationships - ?
Anchor - his brothers girlfriend. She's been very sad since Andrea's brother left but has always seems a bit happier when she sees Andreas, views him as the little brother she never had.
Apr 27, 2022 12:51 pm
Sounds good. Does Andreas know why his brother (name?) left and you just haven't figured out a reason or does he not know either? Did the brother just disappear without a word?
Apr 27, 2022 3:15 pm
I had imagined Robbie as wearing uninteresting clothing with solid colours or simple patterns. The kind of stuff you'd find in bundled packages in cheaper stores. His overall appearance tends to be that of a kid that just sort of rolls out of bed and starts his day, dressing with the clothes that are within arms reach. In a word, disheveled. His trusty pup sleeps in his room, and so he's often got dog hair on his clothes. He carries a journal with him all the time, for taking notes or sketching ideas that pop into his mind.

Iconic item - jouranl (no lines!)
Problem - target of bullying
Pride - People say I'm a late bloomer
Relationships:
-Birgir: has cool fractals
-Erik: Robbie this Erik has cool hair
-Michael: Robbie feels oddly appreciated by Michael, and so reciprocates the affection.
-Andres gave Robbie a pair of Macho Man Randy Savage Sunglasses he "found".
-Group at large: lovable misfits?
Anchor - My dog
Last edited May 1, 2022 2:43 am
Apr 28, 2022 12:25 pm
Mike is a shy Filipino kid. He's 12 but looks a couple years younger because he's small even for an Asian.

Mike was sent to the Sweden to live with his uncle and aunt. The papers are in for them to legally adopt him. This way he'll have a better life, his mom had said before he was sent away. It hasn't been so bad. He'd been bullied back home, too.

He's always got his nose stuck in a book and likes to doodle and daydream. His wild imagination is what makes his dreary life bearable but also often puts him in tight spots because he sees the world differently and doesn't always think about real-world consequences.

Iconic item: was thinking sketchpad but too similar to Robbie.
Problem: gets bullied.
Drive: inspired by the heroes in his books.
Pride: believes he's the smartest kid in school (but doesn't say this to anyone)
Anchor: his aunt & uncle don't pay much attention. I was thinking the librarian at the public library or better yet the storeowner at a second-hand bookstore.
Relationships:
• Robbie is weird. Which makes him awesome!
• Birger's computers and gadgets are so cool! I wish we could afford stuff like that.
• I've never heard anything like Andreas' music before. I like it!
• Erik is nice. I'm glad he's not one of the bullies.
Last edited April 28, 2022 12:27 pm
Apr 29, 2022 5:48 am
Quote:
Iconic item: was thinking sketchpad but too similar to Robbie.
I guess there's no harm. Unless disallowed. Something they can bond over. I know my buddies and I loved sharing drawings.
Apr 29, 2022 6:20 am
I think it would be better to have more distinct iconic items. They're supposed to be iconic, after all
Apr 29, 2022 10:02 am
Okay. Well the rules suggest an encyclopedia. This was before internet/smartphones so we're talking a physical, multi-volume encyclopedia housed in the public library (Michael's family can't afford to buy him his own set). Michael has it prety much memorized. Or if you think that's too much then he has to go to the library to use it.
Apr 29, 2022 12:05 pm
It would probably be a smaller encyclopedia, one for children, not one of those huge multi-volume ones. Something that's just public property at the library isn't really an iconic item 🤔
Apr 29, 2022 2:15 pm
Single volume encyclopedia? Never heard of such a thing. Maybe a book of trivia/facts? An old, dog-eared pocket edition the kind bookstore owner gave him rather than throw it out for not having a front cover. Michael has repaired the cover and bindings as best he can, and highlighted favorite entries, and scribbled notes and drawings in the margins.
Last edited April 29, 2022 2:16 pm
Apr 29, 2022 3:45 pm
The sketch pad is an example in the core book. I guess I could add some details to it. Would that help?

Maybe an almanac @Jabes?

https://i.imgur.com/MxJe5Wi.jpg
bowlofspinach says:
It would probably be a smaller encyclopedia, one for children, not one of those huge multi-volume ones. Something that's just public property at the library isn't really an iconic item 🤔
Last edited April 29, 2022 3:48 pm
Apr 29, 2022 8:27 pm
Sketch pad is fine for one kid, I just would prefer not to have two characters have very similar items
Apr 30, 2022 8:23 pm
Phil_Ozzy_Fer says:
Maybe an almanac Jabes?
Neat idea, but I think I'll stick with the book of trivia/facts because now I remember having one as a kid. Michael probably won't quote from it like a smart-ass but he'll use it to discreetly look stuff up if it's not something he hasn't already memorized.
Apr 30, 2022 9:04 pm
Birger's iconic item is his Commodore 64 (of course)

Relationship:
Robbie is interested in fractals and other thing Birger is doing on the computer.
Michael knows a lot of stuff and can answer any questions Birger have on all topic.
Birger is always happy to see Erik because you don't get bullied by the older pupils
Birger have known Andreas since kindergarten and they have been in the same class ever since. Though their interests differs, Andreas is a well known person in Birger life.
May 1, 2022 2:44 am
I've updated my relationships. How does all of this work?

Relationships:
-Birgir: has cool fractals
-Erik: Robbie this Erik has cool hair
-Michael: Robbie feels oddly appreciated by Michael, and so reciprocates the affection.
-Andres gave Robbie a pair of Macho Man Randy Savage Sunglasses he "found".
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.