New...so new...

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Apr 21, 2022 4:12 pm
Update: Thank you everyone for your so warm welcome! I will definitely check everything you suggested.

Good Afternoon. My name is Christina. I'm completely new to all of this. Only last year, I discovered about tabletop games. I had no idea such a world existed. Being socially anxious, I gave up the idea of actually playing in real life, or even by video/voice and was sad that I would never have the opportunity to play them myself. I began to watch online campaigns, until I learned about "playing by post" and started to hope. Unfortunately, it hasn't been that easy and I've yet to play a single game. In the apps I tried, people always start things so fast, that I get so very lost with everything that I end up leaving (Before character creation or any planning about the story etc. I never left mid-game). I just heard about Gamers Plane, from a YouTube video and I thought it wouldn't hurt to try. My question is, if there are test games here, or something of that sort that will help to understand how it all works by playing. Maybe, practice games for beginners...Any advice you could give me would be appreciated. Thank you for reading all that. 😊 I'm also from Greece, so I apologise for any mistakes.
Last edited April 22, 2022 2:58 am
Apr 21, 2022 4:16 pm
Welcome, Echoez!

Bowlofspinach will no doubt be along shortly to invite you to a test game.
Apr 21, 2022 4:23 pm
Welcome, Echoez!

Are there any particular game systems or genres you're interested in exploring?
Apr 21, 2022 4:25 pm
https://c.tenor.com/Zxu5S6-0qHAAAAAM/whalecome.gif

Also, one of us, one of us .

I'd suggest after reading the standarized post from our native AI beloved Bowl to join the discord for the occasion chatter.

Have fun and see you around.
Apr 21, 2022 4:29 pm
Welcome Echoez.

As Adam said: Do bowlofspinach's tutorial game, it is a good way to get started with a simple system and a patient GM (gm = 'game master', or person who runs the game).

If you have questions or want more practice, give us a shout. Myself --or someone else-- will be more than happy to set up a game or scene where you can practice what you need.

Many of the games that are 'actual played' for watching are DnD (Dungeons and Dragons). That is a relatively popular system here, but not the only system around. If you tell us what sort of stories you are interested in playing we can suggest appropriate systems for you. Or you can stick with DnD (to start) if that what you want.
Apr 21, 2022 4:34 pm
Welcome, Christina!

If you want to see how GP functions, here are links to the New GP Member Guide, the forum rules, this video introduction made by user Qralloq and a little helpful formatting guide made by user Adam. You might also be interested in looking through some public games as well to get a feel for the site.
If you have any questions about how to use the site, you can put them into our Questions and Help subforum.

To join a game, keep your eyes on the Games Tavern, where GMs advertise their games and look for players.

You're also invited to join us on the Discord server for some friendly conversation, about the site, RPGs in general or anything else!

I also run a beginner's game as a quick introduction to GamersPlane and play-by-post, if you're interested.

If you have any concerns or questions, feel free to contact any of the following moderators:

bowlofspinach
CancerMan
Dramasailor
Len
Naatkinson
Qralloq
Keleth (site owner)

Happy gaming!
Apr 21, 2022 4:36 pm
Welcome to the Gamers' Plane, @Echoez! I suffer from social anxiety too, among other things. But this is such a supportive community that I've found a real home here, and I hope you will too!
Apr 21, 2022 4:39 pm
Hi Echoez, and welcome. To echo VagueGM, many of us love introducing new players to the forum. @Bowlofspinach's tutorial game is great, and that should really show you what play by post is like, plus guide you into the minor formatting styles we've adopted.

I you decide to continue pursuing the hobby, feel free to PM me and like a concierge, we'll find you a game.
Apr 21, 2022 5:05 pm
Welcome! Very glad you found us.
Apr 21, 2022 5:08 pm
Hello and welcome!
Apr 21, 2022 6:00 pm
Welcome!
Apr 21, 2022 6:04 pm
Welcome Aboard!

I do highly recommend joining our Discord channel. That's where a lot of fun discussions occur among our members. It's very informal and welcoming. I do hope you've found what you're looking for here on GamersPlane.
Apr 21, 2022 6:20 pm
Welcome to GP!
Apr 21, 2022 10:19 pm
Welcome! This is a great community. I'm sure you'll have lots of fun here.
Apr 22, 2022 1:55 am
Welcome to the site!
Apr 22, 2022 4:09 am
Welcome

Len

Apr 22, 2022 4:48 am
Welcome to the community, Echoez!
Apr 23, 2022 12:18 am
Wlecome, Christina. PbP is a fabulous way to enjoy RPGs -- keep at it and it'll click!

You do not have permission to post in this thread.