Group 2 - Story Thread

Apr 27, 2022 8:49 pm
It had been a lean winter. A roving band of Rust Brothers has been terrorizing your lands in Maldena all through the month of Winterise. It had seemed that the attacks had come to an end recently. You tried to return to business as usual. Looking for opportunities and adventure. An old woman came to town riding on a peddler's cart. The poor woman suffered from dementia and babbled incessantly to herself. Doraval came to sit with her and actually listened. It was at this point that the crone opened her eyes wide and revealed her bright yellow eyes. With newfound clairty, she told him a story:
Quote:
During the Alder Wars (352 years ago) there was a warrior who sought a weapon to save her betrothed. She traveled to a cave located close by in a dark forest in the direction of north west. As the legend goes, it is said that she died in battle. Her dying breath empowered a powerful artifact in that place but her enemy remained.
The group set out into the dark forest in search of this artifact. They came to some ruins. It was here that an overwhelming force of Rust Brothers lie in wait. They chased you deeper into the ruins, but they were at your heels. You turned into a small antechamber with a stone archway in the back. You were surprised to see a slender, androgynous Elvenspring wantonly plucking at their lute near the archway. He scrambled up at the sound of the clattering weapons echoing from the halls behind you. Come, come! This way! I can get you out of here! their lyrical voice enticing you forward comfortingly.

Without time to really think about it, you follow their directions and head through the archway. The room beyond was filled with a silvery mist. You turn back around only to see a set of bright yellow eyes peering through the mist, Forgive me, darlings. It's not your time yet, but it will be soon. We'll meet again. They laughed with glee as the mists blurred the world around you.

A moment later, the mists clear and the echoes faded into the distance. The ruins about you had disappeared and in its place a thick forest as far as the eye can see in every direction.
OOC:
Today is Sunday morning the 5th of Winterwane. In the winter, the sun shines on Ravenland only during the second quarter day. Today it will rise on a horizon in a corner of the world you don't recognize. Describe your character and RP a bit as you get your bearing. You need to decide what you all will be doing next and who will be rolling what.

Days are divided in to four quarter days: Morning, Daytime, Evening, and Nighttime. This set of rolls will be for the Morning quarter day.

Since this is the first time doing this, lets recap the options:

✥ HIKE. Must be done by all adventurers if you want to proceed on the game map.
✥ LEAD THE WAY. Can be combined with HIKE, but can only be done by one adventurer in the group. Helping is not allowed.
✥ KEEP WATCH. Can be combined with HIKE, but can only be done by one adventurer in the group. Helping is not allowed.
✥ FORAGE. Can be done by several adventurers at the same time. Helping is allowed.
✥ HUNT. Can be done by several adventurers at the same time. Helping is allowed.
✥ FISH. Requires a river or a lake. Can be done by several adventurers. Helping is allowed.
✥ MAKE CAMP. Only one adventurer may roll, but helping is allowed.
✥ REST. Can be done by several adventurers at the same time. Occurs automatically when you SLEEP.
✥ SLEEP. Can be done by several adventurers at the same time. When you SLEEP, you automatically REST at the same time.
✥ EXPLORE. Can be done by several adventurers at the same time.

Explore is only when you are at an adventure site, so it doesnt apply right now.
Apr 28, 2022 8:29 am
"I do not care one bit for this foolish trickery," Doraval says, squinting his eyes as he surveys the forest around them. He sighs and looks to his companions, "Are you all well? It seems we may be lost."

The half-elf meanders around their immediate area, looking for signs of where the yellow-eyed being may have gone. He wears animal furs over his tall, slim frame. He approaches Askiena, "I don't recognize this place at all." His steel-grey eyes show minimal signs of worry, though his friend will sense the hesitation in his voice, carefully masked by a practiced calm.

KCC

Apr 28, 2022 8:52 am
Aurae stands, as the mist fades, with her hand on the hilt of her elven blade. Her eyes flit from side to side as she waits for the Rust Brothers’ assault. After a moment, she loosens her grip, and unstiffens herself.

"Sorcery." she half-spits. She knew a few skilled in the arts, but she wasn’t among them. "But to our benefit, or our downfall?" she asks to no one in particular.

How much had been part of the conjuration?… she wonders. All of it?…

"We all look to be in one piece. At least for now!" she says, as she makes sure that her few meager belongings made the journey with her.
Last edited April 28, 2022 8:52 am
Apr 28, 2022 3:16 pm
"Indeed, Aurae," Doraval says. "We did travel North-West to get here, so it stands to reason we might be able to get back to where we started if we head South-East from here."
Apr 28, 2022 4:12 pm
When the mists clear and Aurae and Doraval begin conversing and looking around, there is no sign of Daela. A slip of a thing, the young woman makes sure there's no sign of the accursed Rust Brothers, then steps out from behind the fir tree concealing her. The tanned adventurer is dressed for the road in sturdy boots, plain trousers, a light leather jerkin and an old cloak. A pack is slung from her shoulder, and several tight braids accompany her otherwise wild, red-brown hair.

"Where are we?" the girl whispers, looking around with her keen eyes as a dagger finds its way to her hand. She nods when the elf speaks of magic, then tries to make eye contact with Askiena, seeking just a bit of reassurance in an uncertain moment.
Apr 28, 2022 10:47 pm
"I do not believe we are in Maldena, though uncertain." The tall slender female hunter replies to Doraval, as she leads her prized dapple grey stallion. Askiena appears to an Ailander by her features and affectations. She wears her long raven black hair in a high top knot and adorned with beads of bone and polished fancy stone and several raven feathers bound with sinew.

Ceremonial tattoos on her skin peek from the bits of naked flesh between the various pieces of her studded leathers. Three finger marks of drying blood, two on the left and one on the right, are drawn across her cheek bones as indications of the Blood Brothers who have fallen to her arrows this day. All of this gives the young woman a very feral air, even if not for the longbow across her back or the blades riding low on her hips.

Dark eyes flicker across the scene and stop on those of her near-sister, Daela. Kohl enhances the depth of those eyes and spread down cheeks and onto her forehead. "Unknown for now. But we shall learn soon enough, sister." She assures the elusive younger female.
Last edited April 28, 2022 10:49 pm
Apr 28, 2022 11:59 pm
Doraval bends down and runs a couple of fingers through the soil before standing. "None of us, I think, were prepared to be quite as lost out here as we appear to be," he says. "We'll need to determine what we're doing today. Perhaps while we still have a fair stock of supplies and daylight we should pick a direction and see if we can find a town, or ready-made shelter?"

KCC

Apr 29, 2022 12:38 am
Just as her nerves settle and she relaxes when it seems that they are quite safe, Aurae suddenly starts up again.

"Where is our fifth?" she begins to look around, hoping to see anything that might pass for wolf tracks. Perhaps the goblin had hidden in the brush for safety when they arrived…

Not daring to shout, into the unknown wilderness, she asks the others:

"Did he come through the mists? Did you see him? We can’t set out without him, though I agree that we should get our bearings!"
Apr 29, 2022 12:39 am
OOC:
As it is winter, during the morning quarter-day it is still dark. This means that for those of you without dark vision there will be a -2 penalty for the lead the way roll and everyone hiking will have to make a scouting roll if you're trying to move to another hex. Failure means your character falls or something and takes a point of Strength damage.

Just wanted to make sure you were aware of this before deciding on your next move.
Apr 29, 2022 3:46 am
OOC:
Thank you WarDomo - especially as we begin, I appreciate this kind of heads-up since the system is new to me.
"No, I haven't seen him, or the wolf. He was just behind us in the mist, as we were fleeing the Rust Brothers." Doraval looks around. "Maybe then we should await proper daylight before we move out of there, see if they went scouting nearby or something."
OOC:
Would it be appropriate to take a Rest action then? to pass the time, wait for day? Is there value in foraging right now, with nobody really hungry and our supplies at full?
Last edited April 29, 2022 3:46 am

KCC

Apr 29, 2022 5:19 am
OOC:
I’d be happy to keep watch, if others want to hunt or the like!
Apr 29, 2022 6:35 am
OOC:
We should gather up our goblin, pick a direction, and move. Nothing to be gained by staying put, I don't think.
Apr 29, 2022 9:04 am
"Well that was unpleasant," said the olive-colored skinned goblin. His coloring made him camouflage perfectly into the dark green of the sunless forest. "I don't like being the target of magic, especially magic that turns one into a newt." When the others looked at him silently he shrugged. "What? Was no one else turned into a newt? Kenkaizer here was turned into a gopher. I don't think that so bad, but he definitely didn't like it. Not enough sharp teeth, gophers," he explained. But pushing on before any questions were asked, he offers some ideas. "Without knowing where we are, it might be difficult to pick the correct direction. Waiting for the sun, we can at least determine directions. Otherwise, we can head off randomly and hope it's in the correct way. If there is a correct way. Can't be a wrong direction if there's no destination, yeah?"
Last edited April 29, 2022 9:10 am
Apr 29, 2022 12:59 pm
OOC:
in theory you could stay and either forage, or hunt. You can't fish because there are no bodies of water on this hex. I agree that it's probably not necessary now. Foraging would be at a -2 because it's winter but you can help each other.

Foraging could get you water and raise your resource die to a d12, or some units of vegetables which will spoil in a day if not cooked (and raise resource dice).

Hunting can get you meat and pelts. Meat can be consumed raw within a day or cooked to raise resource dice. Pelts can be tanned to make leather.

KCC

Apr 29, 2022 1:21 pm
Aurae waited for the goblin to exhaust his yarn. She had found that Mawkauser had a way of getting to a proper point eventually. And this time was no different.

"Well, yes. You make a certain amount of sense, Maukauser. We are bound to meet markers of civilization somewhere, no matter which way we go. A hut, or a trodden path, or some such!"

Aurae examines the directions that they might take. Although, she can’t see much in the morning dark.

"You may have to lead us a while, Mawk. The easiest path, if you would!"
Last edited April 29, 2022 1:22 pm
Apr 29, 2022 7:00 pm
"I'll keep watch, unless someone else wishes to do so," Doraval says.

Before they head out, he goes to check on Askiena and Daela, "You two doing alright? We stick together and get our bearings, we'll be ok. We got each other, we'll get through anything."
OOC:
I have a total of 6d6 for Scout, plus the feat for +1 die to avoid ambushes and the like. Anyone better suited for Keeping Watch is okay to take over though.
Apr 30, 2022 1:18 am
Mawk examines a few trees for moss. "South is this way." He guides his wolf mount to the largest game trail he can find that heads in his desired direction.
OOC:
No 1s so I guess I will push.
Last edited April 30, 2022 1:20 am

Rolls

Wits - (3D6)

(345) = 12

Survival - (1D6)

(3) = 3

Pushed Roll - (4d6)

(6525) = 18

Apr 30, 2022 2:05 am
RageRed says:
OOC:
If we have Mawk guiding us with his excellent darkvision, do we still get -2 to our rolls to Hike?
OOC:
no only the lead the way roll has a -2. I was mistaken earlier. you do still have to make the scouting roll for the hike in the dark. It's more about being able to see your footing. His role is about not getting lost.
Apr 30, 2022 2:56 am
OOC:
So, we all roll to hike? and I only roll for Keeping Watch if you ask for it, right, WarDomo?
Doraval trudges along with the others, keeping a close eye on the surrounding trees.

Rolls

Wits - (5d6)

(62354) = 20

Scouting - (1d6)

(1) = 1

Apr 30, 2022 5:17 am
Hiking

Rolls

Wits 4 - (4d6)

(2164) = 13

Scouting 1 - (1d6)

(2) = 2

load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.