Finding Family (character creation)

load previous
May 21, 2022 8:39 pm
This is all extremely cool, @Harrigan.

Also sorry for disappearing @Samaritan, @argo: work went into crisis mode, and then I caught covid. Big ol womp womp over here.
May 21, 2022 8:57 pm
Oh man, sorry to hear Al! Hope you recover quickly.
May 21, 2022 9:09 pm
Hope you're doing okay, Al! I know so many people who have gotten it recently...
May 22, 2022 12:20 am
I'm doing all right, no worries. Taking it really easy, letting myself be lazy around the apartment. Appreciate y'all's well-wishes though!

In other news, there's folks who have expressed interest in our game! You should ideally see them joining us here sometime in the near future!
May 22, 2022 2:09 pm
Ugh, noooooooooo. That sucks big time, Al! Glad you're getting the rest you need to get better soon.

Okay, I think I have figured out my monster moves. I had a lot of back and forth and trying to choose between two many choices, but in the end, I think I'm taking two from the werewolf:

- Transform to pass unnoticed as beast or man
- Hunt like man and beast

I thought the wording on the first was very interesting - "Transform to pass unnoticed". I think they meant that wolves are stealthy predators, but I'd like to interpret it differently. The transformation as not being into a regal wolf, but rather a scruffy mutt that would hide in plain sight and be able to go places or listen in to private conversations.
May 22, 2022 8:12 pm
argo says:
I thought the wording on the first was very interesting - "Transform to pass unnoticed". I think they meant that wolves are stealthy predators, but I'd like to interpret it differently. The transformation as not being into a regal wolf, but rather a scruffy mutt that would hide in plain sight and be able to go places or listen in to private conversations.
I'm a huge fan of just turning into an absolute mutt
May 23, 2022 7:42 pm
Hi Everybody. Bogged down with work today and won't be able to post detailed character gen stuff til tonight. Thumbnail sketch - I'm picturing my character coming from a plane where sentient motile vegetation is the dominant life form. Their world has been suffering from a creeping blight for several centuries that has slowly but inexorably rendered the land and seas barren and infertile. Scholars, theologians and arcanologists tried to find ways to reverse the phenomenon to no avail, while the rulers selectively hybridized new sprouts in an effort to produce a 'chosen one' that might deliver the people and world from the cataclysm. My character would be one of these 'chosen few,' the last survivor, who carries with them the burden of, and sense of responsibility for, the failed hopes and expectations of an entire world.

Addendum: They arrived in the city courtesy of a planar travelling Collector, who maintains a private menagerie of flora and fauna from dead worlds. In exchange for providing their own sprouts to populate the collectors menagerie and assistance collecting other specimen, the character was given passage to the City. The knowledge that somewhere, out there, a fragment of their lost world and people still exist is what keeps them going; and the search for the identity of the mysterious collector and the whereabouts of the menagerie is everpresent in their mind.

Note: For simplicity's sake, I've used they/their for this character in the blurb above as a placeholder for the term a civilization which is essentially hermaphroditic and self-generating would actually use (tentatively zhe /zhir). I'll use the 'correct' pronoun TBD later.
Last edited May 23, 2022 9:05 pm
May 24, 2022 5:15 am
I'll wait to further develop the concept to see if that fits or not. Until then, let's roll some bones!

Wow, that is a crap sandwich of rolls. On the bright side, it gives my character total freedom to suck at whatever they want. ;)
Last edited May 24, 2022 5:17 am

Rolls

Str - (2d6)

(51) = 6

Dex - (2d6)

(25) = 7

Con - (2d6)

(53) = 8

Int - (2d6)

(14) = 5

Wis - (2d6)

(23) = 5

Cha - (2d6)

(12) = 3

May 24, 2022 7:24 pm
Oof! That's rough, @FluxCapacitor ! Looks to me like your chosen one plant buddy might be an unfortunate victim of this creeping blight themself. In my mind's eye I can see a fun visual of something like, say, Auron from Final Fantasy X (the gentleman with his arm held inside his robes, close to chest, like its held in a sling) -- in this PCs case, an affectation that perhaps conceals the yellow-black foliage of an arm withering away.

That said! You've got yourself two +1s to work with, and that's not awful in this system.
May 25, 2022 1:32 am
The glass is half full, even if there is no spoon. Does the concept work?
May 25, 2022 1:50 am
Love everyone else's concepts so far!
May 25, 2022 2:48 am
Hey Flux! Welcome! I love the idea of a plant-person. It seems like they truly carry a heavy burden.
May 25, 2022 3:15 am
FluxCapacitor says:
The glass is half full, even if there is no spoon. Does the concept work?
It does!
May 25, 2022 3:36 am
Suuuuure don't have very many HP when your CON stinks...

Rolls

Hit Points - (1d6)

(2) = 2

May 25, 2022 3:42 am
Also, how do we determine starting equipment, weapons, armor, coins, etc.?

The way HP work in this game is pretty wild, btw.

Edit: submitted Agamemnon, btw. Will finish his sheet shortly.
Last edited May 25, 2022 3:46 am
May 25, 2022 4:29 am
HP Roll!

Edit: Nobody breathe too hard on me or Agamemnon
Last edited May 25, 2022 4:30 am

Rolls

HP - (1d6)

(2) = 2

May 26, 2022 2:20 am
Harrigan says:
Also, how do we determine starting equipment, weapons, armor, coins, etc.?

The way HP work in this game is pretty wild, btw.

Edit: submitted Agamemnon, btw. Will finish his sheet shortly.
Per World of Dungeons, you start with 60 silver pieces (no doubt stamped with the iconography of the Sultana who shepherds The City and its refugee populace). World of Dungeons has notes about how much different things cost.

And yeah, HP in this game is a hoot.
May 26, 2022 3:39 am
Oh lord, HP. Maybe this is where the Broccoli of Destiny shines... Or not.
Last edited May 26, 2022 3:39 am

Rolls

HP roll - (1d6)

(3) = 3

May 26, 2022 3:42 am
Everybody hide behind Argo!
May 26, 2022 4:42 am
I might actually swap an ability to address the HP thing, because 1d6 will never be good...
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.