Finding Family (character creation)

load previous
Jun 4, 2022 3:09 am
Mostly done with the BoD. They're sort of a healer (herbal remedies), with a bit of ranger thrown in - projectile spines like a porcucactus and an insectlike pet that lives inside them. Still working on monster moves. I'm thinking:

1) The Agapanthan Root Meld - a kind of communion with a thing to understand it by absorbing some of its essence. Completely painless, I assure you.
2) Solar Regeneration - heals more rapidly when exposed to direct sunlight.
3) Intoxicating Spores - a defensive adaptation that allows Agapanthans to emit a cloud of spores that induce a kind of amorous euphoria in many other species.
Last edited June 4, 2022 3:17 am
Jun 4, 2022 6:40 am
Those moves sound cool!
Jun 4, 2022 6:47 am
Thanks! I don't quite know how they work yet, but... :)
Jun 4, 2022 6:54 am
As far as I know from Dungeon World, they don't really have a mechanic. It's a narrative tool to throw into the game when it fits.
But it may be different here.
Jun 4, 2022 7:05 am
Awesome. Then I'm really almost done. Now all I need is to find an image of "The Broccoli of Destiny" ^tm and a bit of flavor text on the char sheet.
Jun 5, 2022 5:01 am
Super appreciate y'all getting these characters wrapped up! Sorry for going radio silent -- work went a little bit wild on me for a minute and I'm trying to wrangle it best I can.

Regarding folks' heritage/monster moves, I dig what y'all have going on, but I do want to push hard on something: Heritage/monster moves are less descriptions of the nature of a thing, and more discrete and concrete actions. So, to use Flux as an example
FluxCapacitor says:

1) The Agapanthan Root Meld - a kind of communion with a thing to understand it by absorbing some of its essence. Completely painless, I assure you.
Less "this is a communion thing" and more "Absorb someone's essence, and in doing so gain understanding".
Quote:
2) Solar Regeneration - heals more rapidly when exposed to direct sunlight.
"When in direct sunlight, heal rapidly"
Quote:
3) Intoxicating Spores - a defensive adaptation that allows Agapanthans to emit a cloud of spores that induce a kind of amorous euphoria in many other species.
Would this be like "Cloud an area with euphoric spores"? Or more like "Exhale a puff of euphoric spores on someone close at hand"?

Does the distinction I'm making make sense? Given that Heritage moves are "powerful" -- as they can very much so bypass the other mechanics of the game entirely -- it's helpful to be crystal clear about what fiction is now being narrated when they trigger.
Jun 5, 2022 12:02 pm
AlfredR says:
Heritage/monster moves are less descriptions of the nature of a thing, and more discrete and concrete actions.
So for me that would look like:
- Crushing bite: Bite down on something with huge force.
- Swift movement: Gain a burst of speed by using my wings.
- Parasitic camouflage: Attach to a larger creature without being noticed.

Are those concrete enough?
Jun 5, 2022 11:05 pm
Works for me! The only thing I would change is "absorb something's essence" rather than "someone's" given the Agapanthan's rather different sensibilities. To them, everything natural has an essence which can be intuitively apprehended. However, the farther removed something is from its natural state, the more difficult it is for them to sense this.
Last edited June 6, 2022 12:19 am
Jun 7, 2022 5:49 am
TheGenerator says:

- Crushing bite: Bite down on something with huge force.
- Swift movement: Gain a burst of speed by using my wings.
- Parasitic camouflage: Attach to a larger creature without being noticed.

Are those concrete enough?
Perfect! Excellent stuff!
FluxCapacitor says:
Works for me! The only thing I would change is "absorb something's essence" rather than "someone's" given the Agapanthan's rather different sensibilities. To them, everything natural has an essence which can be intuitively apprehended. However, the farther removed something is from its natural state, the more difficult it is for them to sense this.
"Absorb the essence of something natural and in doing so, gain understanding" it is. Sounds rad to me
Jun 7, 2022 6:35 pm
AlfredR says:
Perfect! Excellent stuff!
Great! :)
I finished my character sheet. I think you still need to accept it into the game, though.
Jun 9, 2022 3:36 am
I also finished my sheet!
Jun 12, 2022 8:13 pm
Except for equipment, I think mine's done as well.
Jun 18, 2022 9:22 pm
Okay folks, 12 days without a GM post is 2 past my normal limit, so I'm going to bow out of this one. AlfredR, if you do come back, I hope you're ok! Good gaming to everybody here and hope to catch you all in another one. Peace!
Jun 18, 2022 10:02 pm
Sadly, I have to agree with Flux and will be doing the same.
For what it's worth, I really enjoyed the base creation with you all :)
See you around.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.