Release Notes May 25th 2022

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

May 25, 2022 8:47 am
tweak/join_a_game

The Join a Game page was a constant source of confusion for new members. It led people to believe it was the screen to use when looking for a game (rather than the Games Tavern).
We've shuffled it one place to the right on the My Games page, giving priority to the Games Tavern.
[ +- ] Screenshot
The Join a Game is now for browsing all active games (games that aren't retired and have active GMs).
The games can be filtered by system (including custom systems) and show the game status, the number of players, and whether they're open for application.
[ +- ] Screenshot
My Games has also been slightly reworked to make the forum access clearer and allow bookmarking.
[ +- ] Screenshot

feature/format_tag

Firstly, DON'T PANIC! The look of the edit toolbar has changed. This wasn't for aesthetic reasons. It's because using icon fonts allows us to use dynamic sizing for mobile devices.

For too long, we've required people to know CSS for fonts, floated images, and fancy effects.

There's a new F button for formatting. Highlight your text or image and choose the effects you'd like to apply.
[ +- ] Screenshot
Toolbar buttons have been added for tables and polls. These let you set the formatting attributes without having to read the BBCode guide.
[ +- ] Screenshot

tweak/notes

You can now directly reply to a note by clicking a little icon in the note's top left.
https://i.imgur.com/YQCmpXP.png

Notes without a user specified (note="") now act as notes to self (and the GM in a game).
tweak/dice_targets

A new dice rule changes the result to show the count of dice matching a given condition.
I've been told this is used in games with dice pools. For example, Tales from the Loop counts how many dice are 6s; Some versions of Shadowrun counts the dice showing 5-6.
{"rolled":"d6","countTotal":">=5"}
bug/unauth_public_forums

If the user is not logged in and the game's group doesn't have read access to a subforum, then the subforum isn't visible.
The upshot is that private subforums in public games can no longer be accessed by players who simply open an incognito window.
Other tweaks and fixes

* On mobile devices, the date/time of posting has moved inside the post border. This is more consistent with the desktop site and allows room for very long usernames.

* The forum permissions page is a little less messed up on mobile devices.

* The special forum pages (Latest Posts, Unread Posts...) now have more meaningful page titles.

* gmExcludePcs in the Advanced Rules Definitions caused players' PCs to not show for them either.

* Printing character sheets now removes the header and footer and generally pretties things up a bit.
Last edited June 18, 2022 7:09 am
May 25, 2022 9:09 am
On the Dark Theme the color selection boxes for the blues show up as greys.
May 25, 2022 10:28 am
vagueGM says:
On the Dark Theme the color selection boxes for the blues show up as greys.
If we're talking about the same thing, those are showing you how the colour will render in your chosen colour mode (e.g. white in dark theme is black for light theme). So, yeah, some blues will be less saturated to maintain the contrast difference.
[ +- ] Warning - flashing images
May 25, 2022 10:39 am
I am so excited for dice pools and target numbers.

So many games for this ...

Modiphius 2d20 Startrek, Dune, Achtung, Home World

Storyteller games vampire, exalted, Trinity

Shadowrun
May 25, 2022 10:41 am
OOC:
test out of character
May 25, 2022 11:02 am
Adam says:
... those are showing you how the colour will render in your chosen colour mode ... some blues will be less saturated to maintain the contrast difference.
Setting aside the debate about grey being just lower contrast blue, selecting from the second set of greys gives me this: https://i.imgur.com/PLbe0be.png which does not look at all like the colors picked.
May 25, 2022 11:18 am
Are we able to test the dice pools here in this thread. I do not see that option but I am on mobile.
May 25, 2022 11:24 am
graylion says:
Are we able to test the dice pools here in this thread. I do not see that option but I am on mobile.
No. This functionality is only on the beta site at the moment and the dice pools need to be added to the game's options.
May 25, 2022 11:52 am
Would it be possible for that new formatting preview to show both light and dark color schemes at the same time? That way people can select colors that work on both and we don't need to change what they picked out from under them.

I get that that does not address colors added prior to the dark theme, but they probably matter less than the new posts going forward.
May 25, 2022 12:04 pm
I'm a bit worried about all the options in F. I hope that doesn't lead to people fancying up their posts too much....
May 25, 2022 12:07 pm
bowlofspinach says:
I'm a bit worried about all the options in F. I hope that doesn't lead to people fancying up their posts too much....
Not gonna lie. I am too. But I trust GP's wonderful members to be sensible 😬.
May 25, 2022 12:08 pm
bowlofspinach says:
There was a time those of us in the know were discouraged from talking about color hacks to prevent the masses from fancying up the place.
May 25, 2022 12:12 pm
vagueGM says:
bowlofspinach says:
There was a time those of us in the know were discouraged from talking about color hacks to prevent the masses from fancying up the place.
At least these are just CSS classes that are applied rather than direct CSS injection.

(and if people have ideas for more formatting classes, I'll be happy to show people how to add more)
May 25, 2022 12:18 pm
vagueGM says:
https://i.imgur.com/PLbe0be.png which does not look at all like the colors picked.
Heh. I don't know if you're prompting me with a question that you already know the answer to (because I've seen you use the transparent background hack).

But, yes, VagueGM, you're right. If you select both a background and foreground colour then we honour those and don't adjust the colour for dark themes.
vagueGM says:
Would it be possible for that new formatting preview to show both light and dark color schemes at the same time? That way people can select colors that work on both and we don't need to change what they picked out from under them.

I get that that does not address colors added prior to the dark theme, but they probably matter less than the new posts going forward.
I think you make good points (that are easy to code). I'll log them.
May 25, 2022 1:49 pm
Love the changes and tweaks and the bling, Adam!
May 25, 2022 1:52 pm
This looks great! Can you click to center a table and give it a heading?
May 25, 2022 1:55 pm
These are huge! Love it!
May 25, 2022 10:28 pm
Adam says:
graylion says:
No. This functionality is only on the beta site at the moment and the dice pools need to be added to the game's options.
Excellent, I went to the staging site but I do not see how to add a test game or use the test dice there. I am so excited to poke these dice.

Thank you
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.