8. Easthaven

load previous

Map

Adam

Aug 16, 2022 8:09 am
From the maps upstairs, Rayne pieces together landmarks. Kelvin's Cairn and Easthaven are easy to identify. That "?", according to Anders, that's The Thorns - the area that the wizard was investigating before he was burnt at the stake. The savage mountains of The Spine of the World aren't well mapped by the people of Icewind Dale.

https://i.imgur.com/bwAVMdX.png

Map
Aug 16, 2022 10:19 am
Zin rolled the assassin's blade around in his hand, wondering who the intended target for the weapon was. He wrapped the item and put it in his pack. Zin stood and joined Rayne at the map. I was a... guest... of Nildar and Morgugh here... Zin put his finger on Kelvin's Cairn. ...Nildar spoke of his father's might and of some plan to destroy all of the Ten Towns. If I know anything of the dark dwarves, their stronghold would be in the mountains. Perhaps we should investigate the Thorns to stop any further Duergar advance into the Dale before going to pay Nildar and Durth's father a visit. A smile formed on the scarred elf's face. ...We should make a stop by Kelvin's Cairn. A friend has taken over the Duergar outpost there, Adret. I have a feeling that you and Okto would thoroughly enjoy the dwarf and his wares. Zin cast his glance at Rayne. ...If we do travel that way, we might want to make a stop at Caer Dineval... Both Oarus and Shane were concerned with how quiet the town has been...
Aug 16, 2022 6:04 pm
Being pulled into the cell was disconcerting but Captain Arlaggath certainly seemed to need attention. I'm not a healer but I do know some of their ways. Let me see what I can do. Bending onto one knee, the bard didn't want to chance moving the woman before letting a song of healing wrap around her first.
[ +- ] 1. Healing Word

Rolls

Healing - (1d4+4)

(3) + 4 = 7

Aug 16, 2022 6:08 pm
Anders stands in the background, looking over shoulders and peering into dark corners. "If there are dark dealings at the Cairn, we should be wary. This is not a place to idly travel. We'd be walking into their turf, and we already know how dangerous they can be in the open. This place is filled with rock and hiding holes."

Speaker Danneth Waylen

Adam

Aug 16, 2022 7:27 pm
Captain Arlaggath groans her way back into consciousness, and Speaker Dan sighs his way back from anxiety.

"Cheers Speaker Bells!

I heard the noise. What the bloody hell was happening up there? What did those dwarves want? You 'took care of them', but are they going to come back, or do you mean..."

He slides a finger across his throat and makes a clkkkk noise.

"...i mean, the booming didn't sound like your 'taking care of' meant giving them tea and crumpets."

Speaker Danneth Waylen
Aug 16, 2022 7:52 pm
When met with axe or hammer and deadly intent then my Charms answer in kind. The lot of the Duergar ambushed us causing significant harm to at least one of my advisors before we ended the fight.

Holding up her hands with her palms facing Dan, Don't be too concerned regarding the explosion....your city hall still stands with only a bit of carpentry needed on the front doors. What you heard was the destruction of that ship's head. The stone it was carved from has a taint so I would be careful in the clean up not to touch it directly.

Pointing toward the door, Perhaps we should head upstairs and someone can send for a healer while our next steps are decided. I'm glad we were here to offer assistance. That was a bold and cheeky move to come against the seat of government like that and one that can not be tolerated for those of us who believe in law and order.
Aug 17, 2022 5:34 am
Rayne nods at Anders, "Aye, I would not like to take this fight on their own turf. Zin has a good point, perhaps a stop at Caer Dineval would be well advised. We could investigate the speaker's concerns while gathering whatever information we can on the cairn before heading in blindly."

Speaker Danneth Waylen

Adam

Aug 17, 2022 5:41 am
"Oh no! The figurehead? It was such a generous gift from the Eastie Five, and it's been destroyed? That's such a shame. Such a shame."

The Speaker's expression of regret would be much more sincere if it wasn't delivered through a massive grin.

"Yes. Yes. We should carefully lay the shards to rest in a way that's respectful and doesn't leave anything in our hall.

Burial at sea! I'll arrange for the pieces to be transported to the centre of the Lac, we'll have a ceremony, then put the shards back where the Eastie Five found them. It's what they would have wanted."

Speaker Dan snaps his fingers.

"No! Not transport, we'll ferry the shards to the centre of the Lac. Surely the Easthaven Ferry will be a fitting bier that honours our brave Easthaven adventurers.

Of course, we'll have to get the ferry free with some urgency. We'll rename the ferry in the Five's honour... and I suppose then it'd be a shame to let it get iced in again."

He manages to get his grin under control long enough to seriously address Bells.

"What do you think Speaker Bells? You're an adventurer - does that sound like a fitting tribute to our fallen heroes?"

Speaker Danneth Waylen
Aug 17, 2022 3:51 pm
Caer Dineval. It was the opposite direction of the stuck ship. In his dreams, all he saw was the ship... and their faces. It was enough to drive a man mad, and it may have done so already. But there was work to be done, and others were being hurt and in danger. Reluctantly, Anders nods at Rayne, and begins plotting out the safest course in his mind. This was a path he rarely took, as he rarely needed to take it.

The wolf paces.
Aug 18, 2022 4:04 pm
Bells stretched out her full height with her presence making up for any lack of inches with a chin tilted toward the ceiling. What adventures could desire more than to not be forgotten whether in lore or even the name of the ferry chartering through these waters! I think you have the right of it Speaker Dan!

Bells helped those injuries up to the second floor. Gentlemen, are we giving chase or has another path opened up? Speaker Dan is going to have a cermony to honor the Easthaven adventures by naming the ferry after them. Our problem of opening the ferry will be solved as the ship must be freed to bury this rubble at sea. Now it's time to continue on to Bremen or whatever you might have discovered.
Aug 19, 2022 1:37 pm
Zin showed Bells the map and letter. I was proposing that we travel north to Caer Dineval. Speakers Oarus and Shane were both worried about the silence from the place. We could then make our way around to the Thorns by way of Kelvin's Cairn to hopefully end the Duergar threat in the Dale itself. My... host at Kelvin's Cairn, Nildar. I had thought he was crazy ranting about his father's plan to destroy the Ten Towns... but this letter, map and a potential stronghold in the mountains makes me think he might have been talking about a real plot. Kelvin's Cairn may hold more secrets than I could find while there, and I would like for you to meet a friend. He is quite... unique. Zin cracked a wry grin.
Aug 19, 2022 1:57 pm
Anders paces the room, looking far less amused than does Zin. His wolf sits in a corner, vicious paws crossed in boredom and patience. Neither one seems to want to be here.

"I would not waste my time with Bremen. There is actual work to be done to the east, and little time if they have begun operations like this. Let us be off and make haste."
Aug 19, 2022 2:58 pm
Okto wonders if he should be happy about his explosion of the figurehead or apologize for it. It hadn't really crossed his mind in the moment since he was so focused on the duergar, but seeing the Speaker's veiled relief that it was gone was reassurance enough.

Okto followed Bells down into the cellar to help with healing and medical aid, adding to Bell's magic and providing basic medical care to whoever needed it. He didn't have many medical supplies to help, but he wasn't formally trained anyway and was used to working with whatever was within arm's reach.

While the group is discussing what to do next, Okto is good with any option. He's got very little personal skin in any of the possible games except the people standing around him, so he is agreeable with any course of action. He does clock Ander's disappointment with the selected choice, and nearly goes to reassure him, but is at a loss for words and doesn't know how to approach him. The man before him feels both just like Anders while also a completely other person, and Okto isn't sure how to help. So he simply offers Anders some healing and a look over his wounds from being knocked out so ruthlessly.
OOC:
Good with going to Caer Dineval
Aug 19, 2022 3:03 pm
You're wrong about Bremen being a waste of time, Anders. Life is more than simply filling your lungs and existing until the next breath. What Bremen has to offer represents is a promise of a better future to the children of Good Mead and a worthy endeavor. But you maybe correct about timing....a future may only be obtained if we are in fact breathing.
Aug 19, 2022 4:13 pm
Bells felt like anymore she used any excuse to stand closer to Zin but the bard was confident her interest was unobserved. Surely no one noticed if she tossed her hair or giggled more while he was around....the man was just amusing! But studying the map and then the letter gave a legitimate reason to lean in letting her perfume waft up while viewing the documents.

Speakers seem to be in particular peril lately. I'm fortunate to have the lot of you. I agree we should check in at Caer Dineval. If you think it best to travel there first before finishing what was begun here then I trust your judgment.

Looking up toward the elf through thick lashes, Somehow in the way you appear, it is as if you are always there and have always been there but that certainly isn't true, so are you from that Northern area? I am greatly looking forward to meeting a friend of yours that might share past stories of you.
Aug 19, 2022 5:12 pm
An odd feeling washed over Zin as he stood next to the bard. Zin felt the strongest urge to just embrace the woman. Who am I to want such things? As Bells looked at the maps and letters, Zin caught himself looking at her with his brow furrowed. He shook his head and focused on the map.

At Bell's question, a mix of emotions flitted across Zinvaris face. Zin smiled a tight smile at the woman, although pain seemed to be layered just underneath his face. I... come from Tanbrook. A small village on the northern end of the Lurkwood, tucked into the foothills of the Spine. I once said I would never go back... Zin looked at the floor pausing for a brief heartbeat before he glanced at Bells again and continued Adret is a friend I made more recently... Although we did go through an ordeal and he might have stories of that. My main thought was that additional information on the Duergar plans might be hidden in the stronghold. I also worry... that if the Duergar had a path staked out for the Thorns... And he was on that path... Well... Zin shook his head slightly silently admonishing his doubt. He can take care of himself Zin suddenly looked up at Bells with a small grin ...you were supposed to tell me of your past! Somehow Speaker, you have a way of getting others to tell you information and keeping yours to yourself. Zin poked Bells in the side lightly with his statement.
Aug 20, 2022 2:29 am
Tiliting her head, Bells heard a catch in Zin's voice,The Spine...you didn't travel too far from home. So with the particular way you worded your answer, are you now reconsidering going back to your roots? Is your family still in the area?

Bells laughed when the questions turned toward her, I can tell you a thousand stories more interesting than my own. I'm afraid you find me exotic because I was nutured under a full sun and you feel some of the radiant heat. But trade sand for snow and you will find I am just a very ordinary woman.

Bells suddenly bit her lip as she remembered the past conversation Zinvaris recently had where the bard thought herself the subject but had not thought the timing prudent to ask. Zin, what does toffee apple mean?
Last edited August 20, 2022 2:56 am
Aug 20, 2022 11:20 pm
Although where I come from is only on the other side of the Spine, my road to the Dale was long… As for family… yes… Zin seemed to have some discomfort saying that.
Zin scoffed at Bells’ minimizing. Bells the bard. If there is one thing you are NOT, it’s ordinary. What’s more is if you ARE ordinary where you come from, I imagine the Golden forest couldn’t compare. I find you exotic, not because of this… Zin gently stroked the side of Bells face and then settled his hand above her breast …but because of what’s in here.Zinvaris met Bells gaze for a moment before he pulled his hand back, suddenly worried he was touching something he shouldn’t.
Zin grinned at the reference to Toffee Apple. It’s not that straightforward with Thieve’s speech. Words are not so important, it’s all the other influences that determine their meaning. For instance if I say with my head tilted like this, and my foot tilted like this… Bells saw the movements, but if Zin hadn’t pointed them out they would have been easily missed. Then everything I say would be interpreted as the opposite of what I said, where as if I glance like this to the upper right slightly Again the move was so subtle that it was almost impossible to notice Then it means I’m using words for others to hear and misinterpret our conversation. Zin smiled at the bard. in the context of Skriip, he was asking if you are my woman..
Last edited August 20, 2022 11:21 pm
Aug 21, 2022 7:49 am
Family. The bard knew all too well the toll that family could charge on one's soul. If you decide to take that road, I would walk it beside you if that would help.
As an entertainer, one didn't tell the crowd that there would be no more songs for the evening when they clamored for just one more for the third time. Instead of an unpopular flat "no", Bells would dangle a whole evening of entertainment if only they came to visit her the next night. Deflection was the name of the game. But Zin had not been distracted from his hunt to know her more completely.

The one who had made a living with words, wondered why when Zinvaris spoke did it sound like a book of poetry? Bells couldn't help but nuzzle his hand when the elf caressed her face. But then the shock of where his hand landed caused Bells' eyes to widen. Nothing inappropriate was actually happening although it crossed Bells ' mind that with a deep breath his hand might to slip to...NEFATARI!

Was she a bard in the dark shadows of a bar? No! She was a speaker, for the gods' sake! Maybe it was the low lightning that had her forgetting herself. That was it! That had to be it! Bells was definitely rattled trying to fill any awkward moments with words.

Words. A tradition practiced in my family and other noble households includes dancing with snakes. When one reaches a marriagable age then the transition is announced to the community by the performing of this ritual. Now most dance with a constrictor who's bite can be painful so it is nothing to trifle with but then there is another level, The Bitten.

Now the women who are called so, choose to dance with a hooded snake who can spit blinding venom as well as inject the deadly poison by their fangs into the dancer. It is hard to explain why one might take the extra risk but the cobra is more than just respected...it is revered. It is believed the snake passes on a blessing.

So the process begins with something as benign as a basket weaved from reeds from the river being placed on the ground with the cobra inside A slender horn called a pungi is then played calling the snake forth. As it's head breeches the opening, it is important the dancer is swaying in an hypnotic manner encouraging the snake to move in a similar way. Look at how I can hold my hand much like a serpent's head enticing him forward but the dancer does not want the snake's attention to stay on her hand as she is going to have to grab him by the tail to return him to the basket. The trick is to sway the different areas of your body to switch the serpent's focus.

Bending at the knees, Bells left leg slowly undulates back and forth before springing forward touching the ground before regaining her feet,At that moment, it's all about being quick and striking before it can. Bells motioned Zin closer as she pulled her hair toward the top of her head. Do you see those two dots at the base of my neck? They might look like freckles. Bells then shrugs her shoulders, I'm one of The Bitten and that's my mark.
Bells blinked when Zin went into the detail of the Thieve's Speech. Who knew that depending on how one positioned their body then it could effect the whole conversation. One could literally have two conversations that meant the same thing but have completely different vocabulary. Fascinating! The bard watched with much curiosity over the different examples the rogue demonstrated.

Bells was watching Zin's face as he demonstrated the opposite sign before he casually announced Skriip had been asking if she was Zin's woman. Bells could feel heat burn up the side of her cheeks as if she had walked in the noonday sun without proper covering. Oh! The bard licked her lips then looked at Zin's smile. I see. Bells didn't really see...did they give off a couple vibe? Did Zin want her to be his woman?Just so we will have our stories straight...what did you say?
Aug 21, 2022 11:14 am
Zin stood enthralled at the description of the snake dancing. Hearing Bells describe the process, he marveled at the level of courage and skill such a task would take. Her description of the snatching of the snake made him think of that attack Bells had landed on the Duergar. A striking snake was a fitting allusion.
Zin cracks another small smile at Bells’ question about Skriip. I told him if he ever called you a wench again, he would feel the pain of my dagger. Zin furrowed his brow suddenly and his cheeks flushed. His posture and demeanor adopted a manner almost childlike in its display. Should… should I have said something different?
Last edited August 21, 2022 11:36 am
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.