[D&D 5e] Spelljammer Academy [CLOSED]

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

load previous
Jul 23, 2022 2:04 am
I would like to throw my hat into the ring if you're still taking people (or as a backup). I would like to play some manner of goblinoid or orcish cleric who is eager to spread his religion to other planets. He doesn't think much of the other gods, but doesn't hold it against followers of lesser gods. They haven't tasted the food we have, yet. Haven't chosen a god or specifics, yet, but I think playing the proselytizing missionary cleric could be fun in a space game.
Dec 3, 2022 7:17 am
And thus the adventure was completed. We played 3 of the 4 chapters from the adventure on D&D beyond.
We started chapter 1 and 2 with two separate games or classes, with about 5 players in each. By the time we started chapter 3 The real commitments had taken a few players and as the cadets was graduated, it was natural to merge the two games into one for their first real mission.
By the end of chapter 3, and the start of the holidays both some players but also the GM had trouble with the posting frequency, so I ended the game and wrote an epilogue to round off the overall plot.
Dec 3, 2022 5:03 pm
Congrats! How was the Spelljammer material in play?
Dec 3, 2022 6:21 pm
Qralloq says:
It had its ups and downs. I like the 3rd chapter the best, where the adventures were put in a foreign ship and given their first real mission. It had one very tough combat encounter and one easy one. I wished that I had seen this youtube short about the Healing issue before the hard one. (I had players going down and up like a yoyo). In the end, there was a lovely murder mystery. Unfortunately, we were all dealing with some game fatigue, real-life issues, upcoming holiday, or just plain forgetfulness, so the players did not investigate.
Dec 3, 2022 7:06 pm
Any good posts from the game to share? Maybe in some sort of advent calendar door? 😁
Dec 5, 2022 1:42 pm
runekyndig says:
Qralloq says:
It had its ups and downs. I like the 3rd chapter the best, where the adventures were put in a foreign ship and given their first real mission. It had one very tough combat encounter and one easy one. I wished that I had seen this youtube short about the Healing issue before the hard one. (I had players going down and up like a yoyo). In the end, there was a lovely murder mystery. Unfortunately, we were all dealing with some game fatigue, real-life issues, upcoming holiday, or just plain forgetfulness, so the players did not investigate.
Sorry to hear that you face the trifecta of causes for delay. How did you resolve the healing mechanics for ships? I ask because I found Spelljammer supplement's healing to mean one would never pursue dry docks when you can slap a mending cantrip on any character.

The Healing Issue you cited is 5e's effort to avert the need for constant passive or active healing, which adding a negative mechanic without increasing the positive mechanic (i.e., raising output of healing spells, SR healing, etc. to match the damage output) only increases player frustration and aversion to healer roles. Characters will yoyo in 5e, but you don't have a player imprinting their knuckles into their own face as they burn spell slot after spell slot from their limited spells per day trying to make a dagger or war pick's worth of healing sustain a fighter taking four-to-five hits' worth of damage in a single turn. It's a good way to make a party of Brave Sir Robins rather than an MMO priest appear in D&D.
Dec 6, 2022 12:23 am
Healing in general is a dodgy mechanic. I think damage reduction options would be more interesting, or having fewer but more impactful healing spells. Spending 3-4 rounds/spells in a fight is boring and doesn't feel rewarding.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.