Out Of Character (OOC Chat)

Jul 24, 2022 5:20 am
Out Of Character (OOC Chat)
Sep 22, 2022 7:14 pm
Character Generation: I see level 3 for creation. What is the excepted means of generation of Stats? Assume background, class and trinket for starting inventory? How are you doing the hit points?

Gotta build up my scavenger... :)

Thinking a Half-Orc, Ranger/Rogue combo. Rogue part is not with the guild
Last edited September 22, 2022 7:24 pm
Sep 22, 2022 10:41 pm
GeneCortess says:
Character Generation: I see level 3 for creation. What is the excepted means of generation of Stats? Assume background, class and trinket for starting inventory? How are you doing the hit points?

Gotta build up my scavenger... :)

Thinking a Half-Orc, Ranger/Rogue combo. Rogue part is not with the guild
Welcome to the game.

Stat generation is stated in the Character Creation thread "-Attributes: Standard Point Buy per D&D5e PHB" it's on pg. 13.

HP
Level 1: max + your Constitution modifier
Higher levels: the average listed + your Constitution modifier per PHB.
Sep 23, 2022 12:05 am
So much to read, I forgot that I had seen that Character Creation area. Gesh.

I'm thinking this Half-Orc is not from the normal Orc and such nations. The character among the many that have spread among the five nations. Probably form either Breeland or Thrane. I guess Zilargo or Darguun is possible. Do you have any preference there?
Last edited September 23, 2022 12:09 am
Sep 23, 2022 1:37 am
Ovak the Scavenger

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/d2/c8/7b/d2c87bd45725e07350e24c218c5f34ed.jpg
Sep 23, 2022 1:59 am
GeneCortess says:
So much to read, I forgot that I had seen that Character Creation area. Gesh.

I'm thinking this Half-Orc is not from the normal Orc and such nations. The character among the many that have spread among the five nations. Probably form either Breeland or Thrane. I guess Zilargo or Darguun is possible. Do you have any preference there?
I have no preference. You should have plenty of time to create your character and flesh out the background.
Sep 23, 2022 6:25 am
How would the background Guild Artisan (Leatherworkers, skinners, and tanners) work for my character Ovak in Eberron?
_________________________________________________________________________________________________

Guild Artisan: You are a member of an artisan's guild, skilled in a particular field and closely associated with other artisans. You are a well-established part of the mercantile world, freed by talent and wealth from the constraints of a feudal social order. You learned your skills as an apprentice to a master artisan, under the sponsorship of your guild, until you became a master in your own right.

Skill Proficiencies: Insight, Persuasion
Tool Proficiencies: One type of artisan's tools
Languages: One of your choice
Equipment: A set of artisan's tools (one of your choice), a letter of introduction from your guild, a set of traveler's clothes, and a pouch containing 15gp

Guild Merchant: Instead of an artisans' guild, you might belong to a guild of traders, caravan masters, or shopkeepers. You don't craft items yourself but earn a living by buying and selling the works of others (or the raw materials artisans need to practice their craft). Your guild might be a large merchant consortium (or family) with interests across the region. Perhaps you transported goods from one place to another, by ship, wagon, or caravan, or bought them from traveling traders and sold them in your own little shop. In some ways, the traveling merchant's life lends itself to adventure far more than the life of an artisan.

Rather than proficiency with artisan's tools, you might be proficient with navigator's tools or an additional language. And instead of artisan's tools, you can start with a mule and a cart.

Guild Business: Guilds are generally found in cities large enough to support several artisans practicing the same trade. However, your guild might instead be a loose network of artisans who each work in a different village within a larger realm. Work with your DM to determine the nature of your guild. You can select your guild business from the Guild Business table or roll randomly.

d20 Guild Business
1 Alchemists and apothecaries
2 Armorers, locksmiths, and finesmiths
3 Brewers, distillers, and vintners
4 Calligraphers, scribes, and scriveners
5 Carpenters, roofers, and plasterers
6 Cartographers, surveyors, and chart-makers
7 Cobblers and shoemakers
8 Cooks and bakers
9 Glassblowers and glaziers
10 Jewelers and gemcutters
11 Leatherworkers, skinners, and tanners
12 Masons and stonecutters
13 Painters, limners, and sign-makers
14 Potters and tile-makers
15 Shipwrights and sailmakers
16 Smiths and metal-forgers
17 Tinkers, pewterers, and casters
18 Wagon-makers and wheelwrights
19 Weavers and dyers
20 Woodcarvers, coopers, and bowyers

As a member of your guild, you know the skills needed to create finished items from raw materials (reflected in your proficiency with a certain kind of artisan's tools), as well as the principles of trade and good business practices. The question now is whether you abandon your trade for adventure, or take on the extra effort to weave adventuring and trade together.

Guild Membership: As an established and respected member of a guild, you can rely on certain benefits that membership provides. Your fellow guild members will provide you with lodging and food if necessary, and pay for your funeral if needed. In some cities and towns, a guildhall offers a central place to meet other members of your profession, which can be a good place to meet potential patrons, allies, or hirelings.

Guilds often wield tremendous political power. If you are accused of a crime, your guild will support you if a good case can be made for your innocence or the crime is justifiable. You can also gain access to powerful political figures through the guild, if you are a member in good standing. Such connections might require the donation of money or magic items to the guild's coffers.

You must pay dues of 5 gp per month to the guild. If you miss payments, you must make up back dues to remain in the guild's good graces.
Sep 23, 2022 5:37 pm
I think I'm going to be an Abberant Mind Sorceror. Race unknown atm, but maybe Half-elf.
Sep 23, 2022 5:37 pm
I think I'm going to be an Abberant Mind Sorceror. Race unknown atm, but maybe Half-elf.
Are all races allowed? Or just those in the source books listed? I was confused by the "conflicting" info on the page.
Last edited September 23, 2022 5:40 pm
Sep 23, 2022 7:59 pm
I'm sure Half-Elf is good.. :).. Doing the rare Half-Orc myself. Funny that you choose Abberant. Smiles. My ranger's favored enemy is aberrations. Your safe. You don't qualify. Woot.
Sep 23, 2022 9:59 pm
I kinda want to be a little crazy this time. :)
Sep 24, 2022 2:47 am
GeneCortess says:
How would the background Guild Artisan (Leatherworkers, skinners, and tanners) work for my character Ovak in Eberron?
_________________________________________________________________________________________________

Guild Artisan: You are a member of an artisan's guild, skilled in a particular field and closely associated with other artisans. You are a well-established part of the mercantile world, freed by talent and wealth from the constraints of a feudal social order. You learned your skills as an apprentice to a master artisan, under the sponsorship of your guild, until you became a master in your own right.

Skill Proficiencies: Insight, Persuasion
Tool Proficiencies: One type of artisan's tools
Languages: One of your choice
Equipment: A set of artisan's tools (one of your choice), a letter of introduction from your guild, a set of traveler's clothes, and a pouch containing 15gp

Guild Merchant: Instead of an artisans' guild, you might belong to a guild of traders, caravan masters, or shopkeepers. You don't craft items yourself but earn a living by buying and selling the works of others (or the raw materials artisans need to practice their craft). Your guild might be a large merchant consortium (or family) with interests across the region. Perhaps you transported goods from one place to another, by ship, wagon, or caravan, or bought them from traveling traders and sold them in your own little shop. In some ways, the traveling merchant's life lends itself to adventure far more than the life of an artisan.

Rather than proficiency with artisan's tools, you might be proficient with navigator's tools or an additional language. And instead of artisan's tools, you can start with a mule and a cart.

Guild Business: Guilds are generally found in cities large enough to support several artisans practicing the same trade. However, your guild might instead be a loose network of artisans who each work in a different village within a larger realm. Work with your DM to determine the nature of your guild. You can select your guild business from the Guild Business table or roll randomly.

d20 Guild Business
1 Alchemists and apothecaries
2 Armorers, locksmiths, and finesmiths
3 Brewers, distillers, and vintners
4 Calligraphers, scribes, and scriveners
5 Carpenters, roofers, and plasterers
6 Cartographers, surveyors, and chart-makers
7 Cobblers and shoemakers
8 Cooks and bakers
9 Glassblowers and glaziers
10 Jewelers and gemcutters
11 Leatherworkers, skinners, and tanners
12 Masons and stonecutters
13 Painters, limners, and sign-makers
14 Potters and tile-makers
15 Shipwrights and sailmakers
16 Smiths and metal-forgers
17 Tinkers, pewterers, and casters
18 Wagon-makers and wheelwrights
19 Weavers and dyers
20 Woodcarvers, coopers, and bowyers

As a member of your guild, you know the skills needed to create finished items from raw materials (reflected in your proficiency with a certain kind of artisan's tools), as well as the principles of trade and good business practices. The question now is whether you abandon your trade for adventure, or take on the extra effort to weave adventuring and trade together.

Guild Membership: As an established and respected member of a guild, you can rely on certain benefits that membership provides. Your fellow guild members will provide you with lodging and food if necessary, and pay for your funeral if needed. In some cities and towns, a guildhall offers a central place to meet other members of your profession, which can be a good place to meet potential patrons, allies, or hirelings.

Guilds often wield tremendous political power. If you are accused of a crime, your guild will support you if a good case can be made for your innocence or the crime is justifiable. You can also gain access to powerful political figures through the guild, if you are a member in good standing. Such connections might require the donation of money or magic items to the guild's coffers.

You must pay dues of 5 gp per month to the guild. If you miss payments, you must make up back dues to remain in the guild's good graces.
I think it would work out well. Eberron is very diverse. There are so many ways you can weave your background into nearly everything.
Sep 24, 2022 2:52 am
Just really need to know where any said Guild spot is reference to where we start. That is. Is there one in this place or is it x number days travel away in another place. I'm assuming that Ovak is paid up presently and has 30 days before the next payment of 5gp happens.

Not sure how much the Adventurer's guild next payment is. Ovak is a member of both those two guilds.
Sep 24, 2022 8:53 pm
I’ve submitted Moisie. Goblin Monk. Angry at life street rat. She’s at Level 1 right now, still deciding on monastic tradition…
Sep 24, 2022 11:26 pm
Nice Picture. Gives Moisie some vitamins to help her go to level 3.
Sep 24, 2022 11:29 pm
Hey yall. Going to be your resident Artificer here...and that's most of what I know. I'll be molding them over the next day or so.
Sep 25, 2022 12:48 am
GeneCortess says:
Just really need to know where any said Guild spot is reference to where we start. That is. Is there one in this place or is it x number days travel away in another place. I'm assuming that Ovak is paid up presently and has 30 days before the next payment of 5gp happens.

Not sure how much the Adventurer's guild next payment is. Ovak is a member of both those two guilds.
Is the reason for wanting to know how far away the guild(s) are is to determine if there is an issue with paying the 5gp fee? Or is there another reason(s)?
Sep 25, 2022 12:53 am
This is something I usually go over at the start of any games I run wether the game is in person, VTT or PBP.

When there is an in game outcome you are wanting to achieve start with the Direct Question that will provide the answer to the outcome. This saves a lot of time going back and forth with numerous Indirect Questions that eventually lead to the Direct Question with the anwser to the specific outcome you are seeking.

To help clarity here are some examples of Indirect Questions leading the Direct Question.

Example 1:
Indirect Questions:
-What time is it?
-Is it dark in here?
-What kinds of things are in the room?
-Does anything look new?
-What is the NPC doing?
-Does the NPC have their back turned to me?

The Direct Question: Is there anything valuable to steal from this NPC? <-- Start with this question.

Example Two:
Indirect Questions
-Are there large buildings around here?
-What color are the large buildings?
-Are they one story or two stories?
-Do the buildings have signs?
-How many have signs?
-What do these signs say?

Direct Question: Is there a place I can buy arrows? <-- Start with the this question.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.