Warlock! OOC Discussion

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Sep 20, 2022 4:20 am
General OOC thread for discussing whatevs needs discussing.
Sep 20, 2022 5:36 am
Also, when you arrive, please introduce yourself here!

KCC

Sep 20, 2022 9:33 am
Hey, all.

First got interested in Warhammer about 18 years ago. I remember wrecking my mother’s head asking to see if the one little newsagents a few towns away had that month’s copy of White Dwarf.

While this isn’t Warhammer, it’s close enough! Hope we have a good game!
Last edited September 20, 2022 9:33 am
Sep 20, 2022 1:18 pm
Hey gang! Excited to be here! I think I've gamed with most of you in one way or another, and am looking forward to another opportunity!
Sep 20, 2022 2:45 pm
Hello everyone! I'm also delighted to be here. I'm probably less familiar to all of you, since I haven't had a big presence here on Gamers Plane. As luck would have it, this is my week for an 'Ask Me Anything' thread. If you're at all curious, hit me up over there! Otherwise, I'm sure we'll get to know one another as we play.
Sep 20, 2022 5:37 pm
Thanks for having me here! I'm Jabes, RPG addict and pastry chef. I ran a cake shop for quite a few years where we made geeky cakes, including these D&D-themed ones:
[ +- ] some D&D cake photos
I was introduced to AD&D in 1987 and to this day, I still play Ithough rarely now) with the same group of guys, my best friends. I've been a pretty active member of Gamers' Plane since joining the community in early 2015. Here, I discovered numerous new game systems, and made many new friends along the way. I've gamed with Len, KCC, and cowleyc, but this will be my first Harrigan game! Pleased to "meet" you, Ciriaco!

So I don't really know much about the OSR, and know absolutely nothing about Warhammer. Am just here for the hopefully down and dirty adventuring!
Sep 20, 2022 6:00 pm
Hey everyone — I should have started the thread with a bit more of a formal introduction myself. I’m Harrigan, crusty old roleplayer from way back, PBEM / PbP gamer since the mid-90s. Over the decades I’ve played AD&D, GURPS, Underground, Call of Cthulhu, Heavy Gear, Fate and loads of other games. More recently, I’m finding myself a big-time fan of Free league’s YZE games, and really into big chunks of the OSR — namely, non-retroclone "neo-OSR" games like The Black Hack, Into the Odd, Knave and the like.

I never played — or even owned Warhammer FRP, but I certainly wish I had. I did have The Warlock of Firetop Mountain, and while that was my only brush with Fighting Fantasy, those Russ Nicholson illustrations made a deep impression on me that has lasted to this day. I love black and white fantasy / RPG art, I like lower fantasy settings, I like grim and perilous adventures, dangerous magic and all the rest. Thus, let’s play Warlock!

So for those of you I haven’t played with before (Jabes), or those who I’ve only played with once or twice (Len, cowleyc), I’m wide-open when it comes to honest discussion that improves the game. I have my quirks as we all do, so if you note something that’s bugging you or otherwise needs to be addressed, just bring it up here or PM me if you’d prefer.

Looking forward to this!
Sep 20, 2022 6:03 pm
Jabes — you posted while I was drafting. You’re good to go not knowing anything about the OSR or Warhammer, just so you know. As long as you like down and dirty, you’ll be fine. ;)

Len

Sep 20, 2022 8:08 pm
Hey folks, great to see familiar faces and also some new ones! Looking forward to playing with all of you.

I love RPGs!

I talked a bit about my history with Advanced Fighting Fantasy in the recruitment post, but I first got interested in RPGs because my friend's older brother had the TMNT and Other Strangeness RPG. We made so many characters without ever knowing how to use them in a game. Later, his brother picked up Heroes Unlimited, also by Palladium Books, and we had a blast with that for a while using it to invent our own cool superhero universe. Instead of playing, we'd just imagine the stories they'd go on.

It wasn't until a young English teacher, Mr. Elliot, showed me how to actually play RPGs with Traveller that I fully grasped the concept. I started running AFF for my friends, and once I got the Traveller books I refereed a long-running game even into University with a little AD&D 2e sprinkled throughout. We did so much gaming with just the core rules and some random tables. So fun!

As my gaming group started going their separate ways, I lost touch with the hobby. It wasn't until the tail end of D&D 4e when I started to get back in. I was running a high school gaming club (trying to pay it forward from Mr. Elliot) but we were mostly focused on Magic: the Gathering. Even though it was a ton of fun, I was uncomfortable with how addicting and commercial that game was/is. So, I started running D&D. I always saw those shiny D&D books in hobby stores, but couldn't afford them as a kid. Now I was an adult with a full time job, so I got to live out that childhood fantasy.

I started running a bit of 4th edition, but I found out about the 5e play test. So, we switched over to that and it was so much fun! My love of RPGs was rekindled! I had recently become a father, so I couldn't spend much time on gaming, but my imagination was SO FIRED UP! So I began playing on Gamers Plane to squeeze in some more gaming time in my otherwise complicated schedule.

I have run a lot of 5e here, but I'm starting to transition into OSR systems. 5e is great, and I've enjoyed some really fun games with that system. But, I am really intrigued by the lighter rules systems that are custom-made for telling particular kinds of stories. I listen to a lot of podcasts and read a lot of blogs on the OSR, and it seems so AWESOME. These remind me a lot of the old systems like Traveller and Advanced Fighting Fantasy that I loved so much. So, I'm really grateful to folks like Harrigan who are promoting it for us new converts.

Oops, I kinda wrote an essay! TL;DR - RPGs explode my brain with creativity, and I'm excited to be gaming with you all :)
Last edited September 20, 2022 8:10 pm
Sep 21, 2022 4:58 am
Fabulous intros, folks -- thanks for sharing and helping us all get to know one another a little better.

Question: does everyone have the book? If not, I'll drop some wiki-ish bits around the core mechanics and such...

KCC

Sep 21, 2022 9:45 am
I have the book. Will do one more review before we start rolling dice though!
Sep 21, 2022 1:16 pm
I have something called the 'Traitor's Edition' of the core rulebook, from DriveThru RPG. I don't have the Kingdom Book or any of the other expansions.
Sep 21, 2022 1:19 pm
The Traitor's Edition is also what I have.

Len

Sep 21, 2022 3:51 pm
Traitor's edition here as well!
Sep 21, 2022 5:07 pm
I have a copy of the book, though I don't think it's any fancy edition.
Sep 22, 2022 5:05 am
Well, cool then. The Traitor's Edition is the new one. New cover, color, different font, layout, some new art maybe? (I don't have it -- I have the original, and the Black Edition that combines the core book, Kingdoms, and a couple of pieces from the Compendiums. (Like "Pluck." Don't know if that was added to the TE.)

Len

Sep 22, 2022 5:25 am
Yep, Pluck is in TE! Not sure if this is useful, but here's the table of contents if you want to get a feel for what this edition has.
[ +- ] Table of Contents
Sep 22, 2022 6:07 am
Cool -- thanks! I'll compare.

I know the biggest change is making Pluck non-optional, and making the crit rolls 1d6+Stamina damage beyond zero vs. *2d6*+ the same.

KCC

Sep 22, 2022 6:14 am
Ev'rything's free and easy…
Do as you darn well pleasey…
Sep 22, 2022 12:54 pm
Where in the Traitor's Edition is Pluck discussed? I haven't had a chance to read the book carefully, but I didn't see anything about Pluck when I skimmed it.

Len

Sep 22, 2022 5:35 pm
Ciriaco says:
Where in the Traitor's Edition is Pluck discussed? I haven't had a chance to read the book carefully, but I didn't see anything about Pluck when I skimmed it.
Oh, you're right Ciri! My mistake, pluck is not mentioned in the Traitor's Edition. I'm not sure where I read about pluck; maybe it was just from Harrigan's comment.
Sep 22, 2022 8:22 pm
Ah, okay! In that case, Harrigan, what is Pluck? How does it work?
Sep 23, 2022 12:48 am
Huh. I thought I'd read that Pluck made it into the TE. I bought that edition today to get us all on the same page -- will have a look through it shortly, and I'll also post a breakdown of some key mechanics -- like Pluck.

Len

Sep 24, 2022 4:44 am
Love the gazetteer posts, Harrigan. Giving me a strong urge to rewatch Excalibur! Would you encourage us to work in elements of the setting further into our backstories or would you rather us keep backstories terse?
Sep 24, 2022 4:54 am
More than pleased if someone wants to plug in a little tighter with the setting, but there's certainly no requirement to do so. Terse is fine if you just want to take your prompts and play, finding out who you are, but having a little more to go on is always good as well!
Sep 24, 2022 5:38 am
Right. Primer is up, getting into the mechanics a bit. Everyone has a character submitted... hoping to get started tomorrow or Sunday, Colorado time.

KCC

Sep 24, 2022 9:46 am
I’ll probably keep things loosey goosey, and just riff on whatever comes up in game.
Sep 25, 2022 11:05 pm
Hoping to launch the IC thread tonight. We'll see if I get there!
Sep 25, 2022 11:13 pm
Oh, a few little clean-up items for some of your:

Banio and Foghorn -- please choose / randomly determine 2-3 Traits and add them to your sheet.

Lambert, you should be Thief (7) rather than Thief (1) for your career skill.

Rausimod -- in the armor section, 'Shield' should be 'Helmet and Shield.'

Trusova -- please add your background (d6 table) results to your sheet. (Pomperburg Road, Seeing a Dragon)
Sep 26, 2022 12:41 am
Okay! I'm traveling, and reluctant to try editing the character sheet on my phone. But I'll be home tomorrow and will add the missing traits to Banio's sheet tomorrow evening.
Sep 26, 2022 3:07 am
No worries! An initial post is unlikely tonight and I'm traveling tomorrow. I am working on it, though, so expect to see it soon. Patience, my pretties!

Len

Sep 26, 2022 4:01 am
Harrigan says:
'Trusova -- please add your background (d6 table) results to your sheet. (Pomperburg Road, Seeing a Dragon)
Nice catch. Fixed. No hurry on the initial post, and safe travels to everyone on the road!
Sep 27, 2022 5:26 am
Right — have the opening post written, but it needs an edit and it’s late. So expect to see it tomorrow night. Hopefully no one will mind a little hard-framing at the front of this, including an assumption that you’re all working together already…
Sep 27, 2022 2:11 pm
Works for me! I think I've finished my character. Please let me know if there's anything missing, or anything that doesn't work for the premise you have in mind.
Sep 27, 2022 3:29 pm
Works for me too, we can improv the details as we go.
Sep 27, 2022 3:44 pm
"Sounds like dragon trickery, trying to tell us where we are and where we've been. Lies and deceit! Never trust a dragon!"
Sep 28, 2022 10:22 am
Work trip is proving rough for free time. Hoping for the opener tonight, or tomorrow.
Sep 28, 2022 10:27 am
Don't sweat it. Safe travels!
Oct 1, 2022 2:34 am
Alrighty. Out first post is up, we're away. Sorry it wasn't a little tighter and leaner, wanted to do a little stage-setting and provide some hooks and pegs to hang things on.

If you have questions -- let 'em out there and we'll hash it all out.

Thanks for being patient. Stupid work.
Oct 1, 2022 3:59 pm
Quick request -- can everyone please make their PCs 'public'? (Using the Add to Library switch...)

Len

Oct 1, 2022 7:13 pm
Character is public!

Phew, that was a long post. Took a bit of exposition to explain how my mounted warrior type was on a fishing boat!

Looks like a fun crew of characters! And what an evocative setting.
Oct 2, 2022 2:31 am
Thanks for going the extra mile, Len -- and sweet openers, everyone!
Oct 2, 2022 8:38 pm
Jabes, one quick thing. As much as I loved all the Jaws references in your first post, I want to make sure we keep the overall grim and gritty laced with dark humor vibe going. Not convinced a full-on cartoon character won't t-bone that a bit, so I figured I'd mention it now. Possible to make Foghorn more your own and less a cartoon rooster? =]

KCC

Oct 2, 2022 11:37 pm
If anyone else would like to join me in a failed roll, that would also be great! :D

Len

Oct 3, 2022 12:32 am
I'm sure we will all join you soon, KCC!
Oct 3, 2022 1:54 am
Yup, I'll set up and ask for rolls after we hear from our dwarf...
Oct 3, 2022 2:08 am
Pardon my delay! I often backpack over weekends.
Oct 3, 2022 3:18 am
All good! No worries -- new post up now. ;)

KCC

Oct 3, 2022 7:11 am
Lambert had clearly seen much worse in the wizard’s tower!
Oct 3, 2022 7:46 am
Harrigan says:
Jabes, one quick thing. As much as I loved all the Jaws references in your first post, I want to make sure we keep the overall grim and gritty laced with dark humor vibe going. Not convinced a full-on cartoon character won't t-bone that a bit, so I figured I'd mention it now. Possible to make Foghorn more your own and less a cartoon rooster? =]
Sure thing! I appreciate the guidance.
Oct 3, 2022 12:44 pm
Jabes.plays.RPG says:
Sure thing! I appreciate the guidance.
Much appreciated -- sorry to be rigid. I'm a stickler for tone. ;)
Oct 3, 2022 1:17 pm
Tone is very important! I should've been paying closer attention to the setup.
Oct 3, 2022 9:17 pm
All good. And you shall be the first person I invite when I run Toon. =]

Or perhaps For the Dungeon, which would rock with that off-the-wall vibe.
Oct 3, 2022 9:30 pm
I'm just gonna leave this here...

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/exaltedfuneral/monty-pythons-cocurricular-mediaeval-reenactment-programme
Oct 4, 2022 2:31 am
I feel like this will fall somewhere between WORST and BEST RPG ever.
Oct 4, 2022 4:31 am
Quote:
For anyone who hasn’t played in my games before, btw, welcome! This kind of scene is sort of par for the course. =]
I love it! And these deadly combat mechanics rock!🤘
Oct 4, 2022 5:40 am
And you haven't seen the crit tables in action yet! ;)
Oct 4, 2022 6:17 am
Just a quick note to point out the difference between an opposed roll (say, Stealth vs. Spot) and combat. In an opposed roll, both parties roll 1d20 and add their skill. The winner -- wins. Even if they don't hit 20.

In combat, it's weapon skill vs. weapon skill, with the highest roll again winning -- and scoring damage, inflicting a status effect, etc. And it is in this case (combat), and this case *only*, that the aggressor / instigator gets +5 on their roll...

Make sense?

Oh, FYI, a tie in combat will typically be a stalemate, or, more interestingly, both combatants score hits.

KCC

Oct 4, 2022 10:05 am
Sounds good to me! I’m sure my life won’t rely on this at all!

Len

Oct 4, 2022 4:21 pm
This all makes sense, Harrigan. Thanks for helping explain the rules.
Oct 5, 2022 9:42 pm
And... there. Hopefully I have now appropriately set the tone of the game.

BTW, there's no railroad here -- many things we can explore after this scene. Feel no pressure to work for someone like Tyrinious. Unless, you know, you want more of that gold.

KCC

Oct 5, 2022 11:37 pm
You won’t find me mending that wound. Usually a bad choice to cast judgement on a throat slashers most recent work!

"Right call, sir. Insubordinate, I reckon!"

Even complimenting the work is a tricky business!
Last edited October 6, 2022 4:03 am
Oct 6, 2022 3:52 am
Yeah. I have no idea if this is what Warhammer was like back in the day, but this is what my Warahmmer|lock! is like. =]
Oct 6, 2022 4:55 am
Yeah, Trusova won't help the dying man. She might look down on him with a "What did you think would happen?" look in her eye. She's not heartless, but she learned early on that the world is too hard to waste her energy on fools.

KCC

Oct 7, 2022 12:31 am
Lambert and Foghorn are speed running the hard-ass captain/difficult underling duo from a Buddy Cop movie.
Last edited October 7, 2022 12:31 am

KCC

Oct 9, 2022 7:43 am
Quote:
In terms of RP etiquette, I made a post where my character spoke to your character directly. It's absolutely fine to ignore another PC, but I think it's a good idea to state that explicitly in your response, so the other person knows that you saw and responded to the initial overture.
"I’d put any verbal to-and-fro in bold, to ensure it really doesn’t get missed. I’m certain it’s the GP standard so maybe that’s where the confusion arose from."
Last edited October 9, 2022 7:43 am
Oct 9, 2022 9:45 am
Good advice, but I didn't miss Ciriaco's post. I simply forgot about what Banio said. Totally my mistake. 🙂
Oct 9, 2022 2:07 pm
I can certainly bold my character's dialogue in the future. Again, I would've been cool with Banio being ignored. I just wanted to make sure that it was intentional, since it would affect how I played him. For example, he'd feel differently about setting out on another expedition by boat if he thought he hadn't been paid for the last one.
Oct 12, 2022 2:22 pm
Quote:
Passing beneath the worn and faded sign depicting a dirty, disheveled, half-naked woman with a fish trail beckoning those on the street inside...
So a Starbucks then? 😄
Oct 12, 2022 2:24 pm

Yes!

But… mankier.
Oct 13, 2022 3:57 am
As posted in Absences:
Quote:
My partner and I are celebrating 18 years together today. Probably won't be posting over the next 24 hours or so.
Oct 13, 2022 5:36 am
Jabes.plays.RPG says:
As posted in Absences:
Quote:
My partner and I are celebrating 18 years together today. Probably won't be posting over the next 24 hours or so.
Congrats! No wonder Foghorn ran from the sisters! =]
Oct 15, 2022 3:54 am

Where's your character from? Multi Public

Local, baby!
Not from around here, that's for sure.
That's my business, fool!
Last edited October 16, 2022 5:22 am
Oct 16, 2022 12:20 am
Just checking in with everyone to make sure you'll all cool with how I'm running things, the pace, the relative lack of focus (I'm happy to sort of find our way in this game, but that might not be to everyone's taste), etc. Everyone doing okay?

Len

Oct 16, 2022 5:03 am
I'm having a blast so far, Harrigan! Loving the manky, murky world and all the colorful characters.

KCC

Oct 16, 2022 5:23 am
Nothing like Lambert getting knifed in the street for trying to pilfer a mace from a Hissanian to really bring the group together and bond. My next character will surely join a band of fast friends and adventurers.

Having a good time thus far!
Oct 16, 2022 5:28 am
KCC says:
Nothing like Lambert getting knifed in the street for trying to pilfer a mace from a Hissanian to really bring the group together and bond.
Not quite, but close!

KCC

Oct 16, 2022 5:35 am
I do get knifed in the street, but it doesn’t bring the group together.
Oct 16, 2022 5:37 am
No one's getting knifed just yet! ;)

Also, dropped some gods into the gazetteer. Nothing that's not in the main book, but adding to the doc as we go...

Also, good to hear, Len!
Oct 16, 2022 5:39 am
Yeah having a blast here! I can practically smell the mankiness! 😆

Hey I did the poll settings wrong so it didn't show me who voted what. 😅 The intention being to help me RP Foghorn's assessment of your PC.
Oct 16, 2022 5:45 am
Good, good. And I answered in jest, none of your business, fool! ;)
Oct 16, 2022 5:45 am
Also, I don't think our dwarf left just yet, did he? Though he was grumpy but still inside.

KCC

Oct 16, 2022 5:46 am
I’m a local boy! Born and bred in the muck!

KCC

Oct 16, 2022 9:38 am
When you lose a luck, do you gain a pluck?
Oct 16, 2022 2:51 pm
I'm having a fine time! I enjoy this style of play.

Banio Phelbt is a local. Which is not necessarily to the credit of Grim Biskerstaf.

And I think Rausimod is still at the table, right? Bemoaning his losses. It's been a tough day for the dwarf.
Oct 16, 2022 4:08 pm
Yes, Rausimod is planning out his vengeance.
Oct 17, 2022 4:12 am
Ciriaco says:
OOC:
I'll wait to see whether Foghorn joins Banio and Trusova before having Banio approach the well-dressed stranger. Banio and Trusova have just gotten up, so it seems like Foggie would have time to take stock of the Docker / Fish Warden situation and then make his decision.
Given that Rausimod's still at the table, I think Foggie will stay as well. Edited my post; I'm talking to the dwarf now while watching the Dockers and Fish Wardens.
Last edited October 17, 2022 4:20 am
Oct 17, 2022 6:36 am
KCC says:
When you lose a luck, do you gain a pluck?
Nope. And probably worth noting that Luck restores to your original value at the start of a new adventure.
Ciriaco says:
I'm having a fine time! I enjoy this style of play.
Good to hear, and what style is that? Everything feels so smashed together in my head these days in terms of GM means and methods...
Oct 18, 2022 12:15 am
Couple of posts kind of on top of one another there... scroll up, make sure nothing was missed!

KCC

Oct 18, 2022 12:29 am
Playing with fire here!
Oct 18, 2022 12:53 am
I think at this point, Rausimod is going to just plot against the children for the rest of the evening unless one of his companions needs help with something. Looks like pedicide is back on the menu, boys!

KCC

Oct 18, 2022 2:43 pm
Feel free to have these three simply roll their eyes at my witty hijinks and proceed to ignore me! Please…

KCC

Oct 21, 2022 12:24 am
Wait… the dwarf had our gold.

Did those kids steal our gold?!!!
Oct 21, 2022 12:29 am
See why Rausimod is so grumpy?!
Oct 21, 2022 1:17 am
I believe the kids made off with one of our two gold pieces, yes. :)

Len

Oct 21, 2022 10:15 pm
Did you guys see this? Ciriaco is trying to con that noble fellow, and Harrigan rolls...

https://i.imgur.com/yUZuk4x.png

But then Ciriaco rolls...

https://i.imgur.com/RS6PLsA.png

:D :D :D

KCC

Oct 26, 2022 3:10 am
Our wonderfully DM should feel free to fail a couple of rolls against me, too!
Oct 26, 2022 6:34 am
Back from the gaming convention I attended last week and over the weekend!

Just in time to totally see Ciri cheating! Wow, what rolls! =]
Oct 26, 2022 7:21 am
Back in the posting saddle tomorrow.
Oct 26, 2022 12:02 pm
Yeah, I slipped a fiver to the Gamers Plane staff. Don't even bother coming at me with those 20s, man.
Oct 26, 2022 5:48 pm
When lying is on the line, Banio comes through!

Len

Oct 26, 2022 8:54 pm
Harrigan says:
Back from the gaming convention I attended last week and over the weekend!

Just in time to totally see Ciri cheating! Wow, what rolls! =]
Welcome back!

KCC

Oct 28, 2022 12:39 am
I keep making characters with the idea in my head that I’ll succeed on a roll at some point. A fatal flaw.
Oct 28, 2022 1:37 am
KCC says:
I keep making characters with the idea in my head that I’ll succeed on a roll at some point. A fatal flaw.
You're just getting all of the low rolls done early. It'll be 20s from here on.

KCC

Oct 28, 2022 12:18 pm
That’s it! It only took two years on the site to shake out all that bad luck!
Oct 28, 2022 6:56 pm
Banio is my favorite character!

Lambert is a close second!
Last edited October 28, 2022 6:57 pm

KCC

Oct 29, 2022 10:22 am
Glad to hear that! Hope we all survive the bar fight!

KCC

Oct 31, 2022 1:25 am
Roll low DM. I did think about stabbing this poor bastard just to give myself a few extra points to beat your roll! :D

KCC

Oct 31, 2022 4:52 am
Chaos Crew tries not to roll 1 damage challenge! (Impossible edition)
Nov 11, 2022 7:17 am
I apologize for my latest unexpected and extended absence! We had a sudden death in the family. My cousin worked a farm way out in the countryside so we've been off-grid the past week or so to be with his wife and kids.

I'll do my best to get caught up with my games as soon as I can. Thanks!
Nov 12, 2022 4:11 am
All good, man. Catch up where and when you can, and just let me know if you want a bit of a summary on where we are.
Nov 17, 2022 2:27 pm
I'm having the hardest time getting invested in this game, and finding the motivation to throw together a post. It's especially noticable in light of how the others seem to be drawn in! I'm going to drop out while Rausimod is in the background, and wish you all the best in this game!
Nov 17, 2022 3:46 pm
No worries, cowleyc! Sorry to see you go, but if you're not digging it, you're not digging it. Good gaming elsewhere!
Nov 17, 2022 3:54 pm
Feel free to use Rausimod as you see fit! There is nothing too irreverent for that dwarf, and he owes the other characters some money.
Nov 17, 2022 4:11 pm
Sorry to see you go, @cowleyc! See you around!
Nov 17, 2022 7:51 pm
cowleyc says:
Feel free to use Rausimod as you see fit! There is nothing too irreverent for that dwarf, and he owes the other characters some money.
The money! Yes, he's just become a very important NPC...

KCC

Nov 18, 2022 12:41 am
With a very large target on his back…

Len

Nov 27, 2022 8:20 pm
I love that it's a Road Warden is the one on the run, and the shadier characters are helping her stay one step ahead. Totally goes with the grain of the setting/tone.
Nov 27, 2022 8:59 pm
Glad to hear that! I've been meaning to generally check in with everyone. Seems like we're nearly ready to wrap on some things, though both Lambert and Banio might have a couple of other irons in the fire...

KCC

Nov 30, 2022 3:01 am
Does that mean wrap the game? Or the scene? How are we looking in terms of longevity?
Nov 30, 2022 6:23 am
I meant wrap the scene, but if folks think this is a good stopping point period, can can definitely call it here or pause it. I had more planned, but I’m willing to roll with the group. Thoughts?
Dec 1, 2022 6:52 pm
Keep going, definitely! How are you enjoying the game, Harrigan?
Dec 2, 2022 2:19 am
I’m enjoying it a ton! It’s not the most focused affair in the world, but that doesn’t bother me a bit. It might bug some of you, though — just riffing on things to see what happens and what erupts is fun, but I do have a couple of more directed things coming up if y’all want to sink your teeth into something meatier.

KCC

Dec 2, 2022 3:39 am
Happy to stay going, yeah, if there’s a group for it!! If there isn’t, well, I had a a great time and will be revisiting the system in the future, for sure!

Len

Dec 2, 2022 4:05 am
Harrigan says:
I’m enjoying it a ton! It’s not the most focused affair in the world, but that doesn’t bother me a bit. It might bug some of you, though — just riffing on things to see what happens and what erupts is fun, but I do have a couple of more directed things coming up if y’all want to sink your teeth into something meatier.
If you're looking for player-directed action, if the bandits keep giving Trusova bruises I imagine she'd go on the offensive. Find out where they're laying low and hit them while their guard is down. But, Trusova is equally in need of coin, so she's be eager to pursue the opportunities the Confessor outlined, at least until something more profitable emerges.
Dec 2, 2022 4:57 am
There should be a few options on the table come morning…

KCC

Dec 3, 2022 11:35 am
@Jabes.plays.RPG, ready to hit the high seas again? We’ll be needing our captain, surely!
Dec 15, 2022 3:08 am
Keep on rolling with the discussion, folks. I think Jabes has stepped away. Let's presume Foghorn is busy / unavailable, perhaps after this meeting. We'll bring him back in when Jabes returns.

If you need a ship, for whatever purposes, we can probably have Foggie provide his for a cut of the action...
Dec 17, 2022 4:17 pm
Righty -- thoughts on pressing on? Are you looking at scum-skimming today, investigating where the scum is coming from, delving into the sewers where the dwarf went, looking for the bandits after Trusova, or laying low for the day and striking out at night on Wolke's job?
Dec 18, 2022 3:00 am
Trusova would like to hit the streets and start asking around for who these bandits are and where to find them. Then, Lambert's job in the evening.
Dec 18, 2022 7:16 am
Cool. If the others are on board with that idea, just give me the high sign here when I should move us forward.

KCC

Dec 18, 2022 9:44 am
That plan sounds good to me!
Dec 18, 2022 5:07 pm
The other thing to remember is that this is (British) OSR... so hirelings are a thing. (If you're feeling undermanned for the night operation...)

Len

Dec 21, 2022 6:32 am
I think Trusova would not rush to take on hirelings at this time. Coin is tight, and she wouldn't trust them. As long as there's a people who have it out for her, who's to say these people won't flip to their side? The group doesn't have the resources to guarantee their loyalty. However, if KCC or Ciriaco feel strongly about retaining some muscle, Trusova could accept it easier if they were people that Lambert or Banio could vouch for.

Len

Dec 21, 2022 7:06 pm
It's winter holidays, so please feel free to ignore this if folks are busy, but I thought I'd ask how people are enjoying the Warlock! system? The setting and Harrigan's presentation of it are stellar, so I'm thinking specifically about the mechanics on their own. For example, I enjoyed the character creation with its flavourful & randomly generated occupations. It made for some unique characters, and I'm enjoying playing in this group of sketchy folks. What are some rules people like and don't like so far?
Dec 22, 2022 7:58 pm
Also interested in this!

KCC

Dec 25, 2022 10:31 am
Having tried to play Warhammer 4th Edition (which I like well enough), it was very very finicky! I like how stripped down this is. No fiddly bits. My dice rolls don’t exact work well, trying to beat 20, but the theory of it is good!

I also like leaning into the Warhammer-ness. That specific, grimy ‘ay-up guvna’ness.
Dec 25, 2022 8:48 pm
Sweet. I like the Luck mechanic, too... and there are some things (like combat, or magic, or crits) that we haven't tested heavily yet.

Len

Dec 26, 2022 1:45 am
Yeah, I'm really curious to see more about those mechanics. Combat seems the easiest to reach for our characters, as we are cruisin' for a bruising as we speak. I like the +5 on offense only. Partly why Trusova wants to hit these guys back - this is a world where if you're only defending then you're just pretending! Let's slice open some throats.

Magic seems further away. Don't see Trusova going down that path but it'll be interesting to see how it works at the table. Hopefully we won't be exploring crits on the receiving end, but it should be interesting to see either way.
Dec 26, 2022 2:26 am
Agreed on magic. Maybe if we added a fourth and they managed to roll an apprentice or something. But at this stage, I figure we're better off with three -- evaluate the longevity of the game after a few more scenes, maybe tracking the brigands and Wolke's latenight caper.

KCC

Jan 22, 2023 12:53 am
We need a win, Whiskeyjack!

https://i.imgur.com/GvZdLPQ.gif
Jan 23, 2023 6:35 am
Con complete! Reinvigorating in 3... 2... 1...

(Give me a day or two!)

Len

Jan 23, 2023 7:14 am
Welcome back! No worries, take your time!
Feb 11, 2023 6:47 pm
BTW... strikes me that I could easily set up a Discord channel to support this game if folks want.

Len

Feb 12, 2023 12:30 am
Sure, I'm into it. At the very least, it allows me to express myself in reaction gifs, and I find sometimes spontaneous conversations start easier there.
Feb 12, 2023 3:24 pm
I'm all for a Discord channel!
Apr 16, 2023 4:01 am
I like how we haven't chatted here once since setting up the Discord. =]

You do not have permission to post in this thread.