10. Dark Duchess

load previous
Oct 24, 2022 2:34 pm
CherokeeWind says:
OOC:
Can Bells lean over the stairwell and reach the tops of Okto and Rayne's head? Another thought...can she drop the fire on the troll from above?
OOC:
It's an improvised weapon with a throwing range of 20' (so +2 to hit for Bells). I think the troll is not quite under the stairs, but Bells could drop it on Anders to teach him a lesson about PvP.
Oct 24, 2022 11:20 pm
Okto is unsure of a lot of things in this moment, but he is sure that Anders' story does not end here. Even if he comes back up just to attack the again, it was better than him being dead, at least for now.

His words laced with magic energy, Okto yells "You aren't getting out of this that easy, Anders. Apologize!" Then clanks his shield with his hammer for Toll the Dead on the ice troll.
OOC:
Bonus action healing word on Anders, action Toll the Dead...

Rolls

Healing Word - (1d4+4)

(3) + 4 = 7

Troll Wis Save for Toll the Dead DC15 - (1d20)

(8) = 8

Toll the Dead damage necrotic - (2d12)

(59) = 14

Oct 25, 2022 2:42 am
OOC:
haha I love that "Apologize!" You have some great lines!
Bells dodges around the edge of the staircase trying to get her eyes on this ice troll that had only been part of legend until now. With Okto and Rayne blocking much of her view, Bells could not get the full fearsomeness of this artic monster but what was visible was crimson matted in the fur around its mouth. The beast needed to be stopped before it bit anyone else so Bells started crooning a lullaby sending the monster back to a dream land of unending victims with a hottie sporting a bone nose piercing he wanted to impress.
[ +- ] 1. Sleep
OOC:
cast at 3rd level

Rolls

Sleep - (9d8)

(162743634) = 36

Oct 25, 2022 4:13 am
Anders eyes snap open to see the troll still looming above his friends... yes, he could see through the hatred again, they were his friends. And they weren't the ones trying to steal the loot, it was the troll! The ranger rises to his feet and continues to attack, not recognizing the strong compulsion. And he fights with such ferocity!
Last edited October 25, 2022 4:14 am

Rolls

Anders the Frostburnt: Primal Savagery - Attack vs AC16 - (1d20+7)

(20) + 7 = 27

Primal Companion: Maul - Attack vs AC16 - (1d20+7)

(11) + 7 = 18

Anders the Frostburnt: Primal Savagery - Damage - (4d10)

(10462) = 22

Anders the Frostburnt: Favored Foe - (2d6)

(66) = 12

Primal Companion: Maul - Damage - (1d8+5)

(5) + 5 = 10

Ice Troll

Adam

Oct 25, 2022 5:51 am
Okto sounds the gong; Bells' spell enfolds the troll, and the beast's eyelids get heavy. The violent brute sags, relaxing; drowsiness rises. In the sparkling frosty white hold, the scene with the snoozing troll almost looks like a Simril card entitled "Silent Might".

Then Anders rips its throat out.
OOC:
Out of initiative. This was the sort of baddy that would eat a man when he's down too, so that crit was timely.
Looking around the ship's hold, you see it contains heaps of snow and four tied-down jolly boats covered with rime. In the forward starboard corner rests a large pile of treasure embedded in thick ice. Standing next to the hoard, frozen with its maw open in a roar, is a white feline creature sheathed in ice. Trolls don't have hoards, nor do they leave claw marks that are measured in yards.

And there's still the spirit of the vengeful cap'n on deck - but it seems only to be interested in Anders.

Ice Troll
Oct 25, 2022 9:55 am
OOC:
So there IS a cute kitty cat!
Zin looked at Anders, unsure how the man was feeling. Anders… I’m not here for your treasure. I’m here for you. Please… don’t hurt any of us. Zin looked obviously conflicted between dropping his guard and raising it.
OOC:
Hoard to me means dragon, and dragon means we should get out of here… what would Zin roll to come to that conclusion? History

Rolls

Roll - (d20)

(3) = 3

Oct 25, 2022 10:02 am
OOC:
It would be Arcana, History, or Nature. I'd also allow Survival with the claw marks.

But with that roll?! Nah. Zin's got nothing.

Now that Anders isn't "under the influence" he would be able to tell you with his +10 survival.

Adam sent a note to cowleyc
Oct 25, 2022 12:58 pm
The fog of multiple compulsions fades from Anders' mind like a cloud he had been unaware existed. Clarity sparks into his eyes, and he looks at his companions. "There was a song... that damned captain singing. It had me enthralled, and all I could see was mutineers. I am so sorry for what has been done, but we must hurry here. That pile of treasure does belong to a dragon of some sort, and it shant be gone long. We must make it into the captain's quarters. Okto, if you can destroy the ice with that treasure, we may be able to walk away with some of it. But this all must be done fast." With this, he rushes back up the stairs towards the captain's quarters.
Oct 25, 2022 1:59 pm
Zin moved to follow Anders and then paused, ...Wasn't the Troll attacking something when we first came to the ship? Zin moved up to the door where the beast was. Was it trying to get in this door?
OOC:
Adding Thieve's Tools in case. Psychic Knack in case.
Last edited October 25, 2022 1:59 pm

Rolls

Zinvaris Willowmire: Thieve's Tools - (1d20+10)

(3) + 10 = 13

Psychic Knack - (d8)

(4) = 4

Kobolds

Adam

Oct 25, 2022 2:23 pm
https://i.imgur.com/4YYe7qW.png
There's a lock, but that's no challenge to Zin, even wearing clumsy gloves. The door's hinges open with a squeak, and then a tribe of kobolds behind the door squeak too.

They look at Zin with indignation.

"Where twoll? We trick twoll here. Food for big boss."

They quickly chat amongst themselves and come to an agreement.

"It okay. You okay. Orc look tasty. It okay."

The air above the hold echoes with an ear-piercing screech. As Anders climbs the steps, Bells looks to the skies.

Spiralling down from the clouds is the silhouette of a gargantuan white dragon.

"♫ Goodbye-ee! Goodbye-ee!
Wipe the tear, baby dear, from your eye-ee ♫"
OOC:
Anders to act.

Kobolds
Oct 25, 2022 2:35 pm
OOC:
...sigh... I do love the Kobolds, though. What are the chances that Zin can Kool-Aid man through the side of the ship to run away?
Zin's eye's popped with realization what the sound meant. He hastily, but quietly saids to the Kobolds I am friend to Trex, kobold leader of the little dwagons in Termalaine! Both my boots for you to hide us until big boss leaves!

Kobolds

Adam

Oct 25, 2022 2:46 pm
There's a painfully slow kobold conference as the barometric pressure changes with the descending death monster above.

"Nah. It okay, fam. We get boots later - after boss eat you."

They start singing.

"♫ Those boots are made for eatin'
And that's just what we'll do
One of these days those boots are gonna be in dwagon poo ♫"

Kobolds
Oct 25, 2022 2:53 pm
OOC:
Ah, got me! Are we on initiative? I want to start ushering everyone up and off the boat in whatever the closest and possibly stealthiest way possible.
Oct 25, 2022 3:00 pm
OOC:
But Zin... there is gold....Bells has a plan that takes lots of money that she hasn't had a chance to tell you about.
But if the dragon is bringing tea and biscuits maybe it would be the perfect time for a chit chat
Oct 25, 2022 3:15 pm
'So it is real, the dragon from his journal,' thinks Anders with a visible sneer. 'Right on time.'

Rushing to the stairs, Anders cries out to the group, "No time now! The dragon is returning! You need to go now!" Some hand motions and the glowing of Anders' skull necklace indicate that he has cast a spell, and an aura of shadow emanates from Bells.

"I have one last task here before I can join you. Don't worry," he adds with an atypical grin, "I'll be just fine." Without waiting for a reply, he moves back to the captain's door in order to make his way through. The wolf had been smashing its massive paws against the frozen wood, intending to break it down.
OOC:
I know it has a target of self, but for the sake of the story can it be fudged a bit?
[ +- ] Pass Without Trace

Rolls

Primal Companion: Str - Check - (1d20+5)

(11) + 5 = 16

Cap'n Rudolph Bluemoon

Adam

Oct 25, 2022 3:37 pm
OOC:
Sure.
The snows rise over Anders' shadow-magic cloaking the Charms from the dragon's sight. Rather than hunt about, the monstrous beast continues to dive on the lone remaining meal, buying time for the Charms to escape.

The captain's door bursts open to reveal the blue outline of the evil Cap'n Bluemoon, standing before his desk of disorganised paperwork. The mad captain had a famously awful memory, relying on scrappy notes for all recollection.

"So, ye mutinous scurvy dog. Be ye ready to be facing the wrath o' ye one an' true cap'n?"

An ethereal cat o'nine tails appears in his hand, casting strange blue shadows across the deck.

"There be no prospect o' redemption for blackhearted coves such as ye."

The cat unfurls.
OOC:
Another cat! That's two. Man! I'm getting everything wrong.

Could I ask the Charms to kindly leave the boat via the emergency exits, so the ranger can land this thing?
Cap'n Rudolph Bluemoon
Oct 25, 2022 4:08 pm
Gold....gold was right there! Just a few steps away! Of course, the bard enjoyed her comforts and if Bells draped herself with glittery embellishments that cost an extra coin or two then the expense was worth the effect but the bard had learned how to survive on less.

But now...being a speaker changed everything! Being a ruler, one needed vision and funding. Had not that precious boy, Huarar prove that an institute of higher learning was needed in the Ten Towns? How many brilliant minds had been lost to the every lasting dark of a Northern day? Bells intended knowledge to be one of the shining lights that freed this region and right there was the foundation so close she could almost touch it.Go! I'm just going to get a bit of gold. Now off with the rest of you!
Oct 25, 2022 4:09 pm
Zinvaris came to the top of the steps as the bulk of the giant lizard was entering the hold. The sheer size of the thing! Zin paused in shock, his stomach lurching. He glanced at the railing and the now inviting looking sea of moving ice. Zin looked back at Bells, her eyes longing for the glittering gold encased in ice in the hold. The wood elf moved next to the bard and leaned close, the breath of his whisper tickling her ear ...There will be more gold... You are the treasure I would take from here this day... Come, let us be gone... Zin pulled back to make eye contact with Bells his hand resting on the side of Bell's face.
Oct 25, 2022 4:15 pm
CherokeeWind says:
Go! I'm just going to get a bit of gold. Now off with the rest of you!
OOC:
Oh, I'm not allowed to kill you, am I? Freeze you forever in ice? Is that allowed? That's allowed.

Also, the gold is frozen in ice - 'cos white dragon.
Oct 25, 2022 4:22 pm
OOC:
Haha cryogenics isn't death states Dr. Icicle

BUT...I knew someone here has a heart of a poet and would not disappoint and (deep sigh for all the romantics)....he didn't!
Last edited October 25, 2022 4:24 pm
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.