10. Dark Duchess

load previous
Oct 25, 2022 4:25 pm
OOC:
I know, right? I'm a grizzled fifty year old bloke and even I "awwwed".
Oct 25, 2022 4:59 pm
Edmund_Balworth says:
The wood elf moved next to the bard and leaned close, the breath of his whisper tickling her ear ...There will be more gold... You are the treasure I would take from here this day... Come, let us be gone... Zin pulled back to make eye contact with Bells his hand resting on the side of Bell's face.
Meeting Zinvaris' gaze, clear blue eyes held a future that shone brighter than the pile of gold. Nuzzling his hand that cupped her cheek, Bells left a kiss in his palm before following the elf anywhere he would lead.
Oct 25, 2022 5:10 pm
OOC:
You guys are too kind! I have to admit that Zin and Bells' relationship brings a smile to my face.
Oct 26, 2022 9:09 pm
Okto recoils as if spooked by a ghost at Anders' sudden grin and watches uncomprehendingly as the ranger bursts into the Captain's Quarters. He mindlessly follows Bells and Zin back up the stairs, his eyes remaining fixed on Anders as long as he is in sight. His shellshocked face slowly turns to a satisfied smile as he follows the others, knowing that at least they got the stubborn man to smile one last time before he maybe gets killed by the ghost or the ancient white dragon, either is fair game.
Oct 27, 2022 3:36 am
Anders steps into the room with cool purpose, his wolf striding beside him. He could feel the sheer presence of the nearby dragon, but his focus was on the spectre before him. "You're long dead, captain. Your wrath lives only through me and your journals. I'll make sure they cause no more pain! No other need suffer as I have! Do you understand, you Luskan bastard?! I'll burn this place down for what you did to me! FOR WHAT YOU MADE ME!!!" The bottles of alchemist's fire that appeared in Anders' hands speak truth to his words.

The papers catch with little issue. Other loose materials, too. The flames spread through the room with no hope of engulfing the frozen wood, but that isn't the point. This was the center of his power, it always had been. Pain is recognized as the fire burns at previously burnt skin. Anders unhooks a cub from his belt, one that he had kept through all of this... it was more than just a cudgel, it was a belaying pin. It, too, enters the fire.
OOC:
I have more depending on how this goes down.

Weighing a heavy anchor

Adam

Oct 27, 2022 8:42 am
https://i.imgur.com/GLCZ9vE.pngRancour is an anchor - it stops us from moving, from voyaging into clear waters, from finding the free and open horizon. Grudges a'hold are rotting cargo, whilst harboured ill will keeps us a'harbour.

But guilt weighs heavy too. Shame is a belaying pin, holding us fast to slip and sin, a bind and a hitch as sticky as pitch; shame is the barbs on self-flagellation's cat o'nine.

Rancour and Grudge and Guilt and Shame be a scurvy fleet, lashed together and bound for the deep. With sinned and sinned against but one mutinous crew.

Anders' flames consume the ship's logs. Every transgression, every discipline, every boatswain's lash burns from black ink to white ash. And with the conflagration, and a sigh as gentle as a pure sea breeze, the cap'n's hold and soul are released.

Jergal, the Final Scribe, began inking the end of Anders' scroll.
https://i.imgur.com/hRY9l5f.pngTyrannical captain and mutinous crew,
Both black of heart, and crooked as screw.
Each carrying guilt, dishonour and blame,
Tied to this world by stigma and shame.
But unending regret are all for damned nought,
New world ahoy, me hearties! Raise up thy tot!

On the Dark Duchess, trapped in the Sea of Moving Ice at the edge of dark Icewind Dale, Anders cuts the hawsers of guilt and vengeance. And as the dragon's icy breath bears down like a verdict, it doesn't matter because Anders is already free.
OOC:
Okay @cowleyc - time for you to dock this thing.

Weighing a heavy anchor
Oct 27, 2022 12:56 pm
Anders can't help but smile- actually smile- as he sees the very manifestations of his tortured soul released from this realm. It shows him that he, too, could have managed to cast off the heavy cloak that is fear and self-loathing. And so in his final moments, he feels hope.
Bells, Okto, Rayne, and Zin flee as fast as they can on their sleds, when they swear they can hear a wolf howl. Any who turn back see the quickly fading view of the frozen ship with flames and smoke erupting from within. But these are both replaced with great speed by focused blizzards coming from the massive dragon that calls the ship its home. The ice reforms, closing once more the door on the sinful past of Anders and his fellow crewmates.

And that's when the shadowy aura that had spread from Bells flickers, and then fades into nothingness.
Oct 27, 2022 2:28 pm
OOC:
Dang, Cowleyc! I thought you were going to get out of it somehow...
Zin rode Nippers hard next to the sleds. At the odd screeching sounds, Zin sat up in his saddle and turned to look at the ship quickly being absorbed by winds and snow. The wood elf heard the howl, a mournful sound that still somehow sounded predatory. Zin turned to make eye contact with Bells and saw the dweomer drop. Zin's brow drew down in realization and he turned to the path ahead. Zin's eyes welled with tears for the man who had been the hardwood. Stolid and steadfast, he stood protecting the forest within. His face and body bore the wounds of countless storms and hardships. Badges of honor of performing the duty the man grudgingly accepted. Zin recalled a writing his mother had penned that he found tucked in his father's memory box.
In Hardwood Groves
The same leaves over and over again!
They fall from giving shade above
To make one texture of faded brown
And fit the earth like a leather glove.

Before the leaves can mount again
To fill the trees with another shade,
They must go down past things coming up.
They must go down into the dark decayed.

They must be pierced by flowers and put
Beneath the feet of dancing flowers.
However it is in some other world
I know that this is way in ours.
Zin hoped the man had found peace before his end. A slight warmth radiated from Mielikki's symbol on Zin's chest. Zin wasn't sure if it was real or imagined, but decided to take it as confirmation that his friend had indeed released his tormented past. Zin rode on, trying the lead the group back along the path they had come.
OOC:
Actually a Robert Frost poem
Last edited October 27, 2022 2:28 pm
Oct 30, 2022 5:38 pm
Okto is quiet the rest of the night. Wherever the party finds themselves that night, Okto lies awake staring up. Whether at a wooden ceiling, a cave wall, the stars, or Auril’s hexing midnight light show, it does not matter. That is not where Okto’s mind is.

Okto is glad that his old friend found peace, that Anders confronted his demons and was able to pass on. Or, he should be glad.

Instead, he feels... cloudy. That kind of overcast where it could either storm or become clear skies with but a shift in the wind, with either outcome just as likely as the other. There is distant thunder, yes, but also sunlight.

Yes, Anders is now at peace. Yes, Anders deserves that peace. But also yes, Anders abandoned the party to complete the blood pact to bring about the end to the Frostmaiden without him, skimping out on the agreement they all had that he initiated. He could have run with them out of the ship; they could have easily all escaped and come back the next time the dragon was out running errands. But instead, he decided to leave the group to their own devices; he chose to die without warning.

Okto clenches his blanket tight as he wages a tolling war against a forming tear, trying to fall asleep.
OOC:
Obviously this is all in character. Aqua is not mad at all and thinks it was all pretty rad

You do not have permission to post in this thread.