Ask Me Anything: Dr_B

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

load previous
Dec 4, 2022 8:32 pm
No, never had the occasion - or the time! As you know, animation of any kind is a painstakingly slow affair, a frame-by-frame quest for the illusion of life!

One of the things I really love about RPGs is that I can 'zone out' and dive fully into shared fantasy situations, so I guess unconsciously I might even be avoiding letting my job into it! 😅
Dec 4, 2022 9:55 pm
Knifesedgegames says:
I can make anything work :)
Let me know when you next run a one-off CoC adventure!
Dec 4, 2022 10:15 pm
Do you prefer to be GM or player in a game?

What is your favorite Point-and-click adventure game? And what is a good one you're played recently (if any)?
Dec 4, 2022 10:42 pm
Quote:
Do you prefer to be GM or player in a game?
Ha! great question. I think I love both aspects, for different reasons.

GMing a game appeals to the storyteller in me, and challenges me to adapt and mold the story to the players' actions and needs. You start with a more or less well delineated plan (a published scenario, or a chain of events imagined by you), and the characters will deviate from it, add to it, do the unexpected. Reacting creatively to all this is a great writing exercise, and I am convinced that, in the Play-by-post format, with its natural pauses and slower pace, we can get some great stories using the extra thinking time between posts.

As a player, the joy is in the discovery of a story, in the unveiling of a mystery. Focusing on (usually) one character only, you can delve deeper into their personality, calibrating their dialogues to things they would actually say, in form and substance. You can work out some fun details of their likes and dislikes, give them little quirks... And there is also of course the interaction with other players, the group dynamics that are generated in the game.

We share an awesome hobby, what's not to like? 😂
Last edited December 4, 2022 11:03 pm
Dec 4, 2022 11:08 pm
Quote:
What is your favorite Point-and-click adventure game? And what is a good one you're played recently (if any)?
"Sam and Max hit the Road" always had a special place in my heart. Perhaps because it fused great art and animation with fun jazzy music and a cryptid-rich plot with plenty of zany humour.
[ +- ] Sam & Max
One I played recently... I am discovering "Thimbleweed Park", and it is great fun so far! You can see it comes from the same heritage, and is intentionally retro in look. I am enjoying the idea of switching characters to accomplish different goals.
[ +- ] Thimbleweed
Dec 6, 2022 4:14 am
Ultima was never made into a tabletop RPG. To me, that feels like a lost opportunity. If you could reboot one of those old PC games as a tabletop equivalent, which one would you choose, and why?
Dec 6, 2022 9:38 am
Interesting... I think that classic-Ultima as an RPG would result in yet another quite generic fantasy RPG... (you might have noticed I am not a big fan of Fantasy: no mention of D&D/AD&D, Pathfinder, etc. in my gaming interests)

However (and this links to my interest in generic rulesets to run different genres) the Ultima game engine was used to power at least two interesting games in the 1990s, under the label 'Worlds of Ultima':
[ +- ] Savage Empire
[ +- ] Martian Dreams
I never completed these, but I can see how they would make more interesting reboots as tabletop RPG games than 'vanilla Ultima', at least for me...

It looks like the folks at Origin were thinking about a core ruleset (or engine), with multiple settings, like GURPS etc were doing in RPGs...
Last edited December 6, 2022 9:39 am
Dec 6, 2022 9:44 am
Another computer-based RPG that would make a great tabletop game is Arcanum, an isometric RPG with a steampunk fantasy theme.
[ +- ] Arcanum: of Steamworks and Magick Obscura
Dec 9, 2022 6:31 am
Chalrytharendir says:
Do you ever incorporate animation into your games, such as drawing character art or animating memorable moments/scenes?
I would like to run or play the classic TOON RPG some day, though, if that counts!
[ +- ] TOON
Dec 9, 2022 1:47 pm
I played a lot of Toon back in the day :)
Dec 9, 2022 4:58 pm
Woo-hoo, love the shout out for Arcanum, an underrated gem!

If you haven't played Broken Sword 1 and 2, recommend those as well (point and click).
Dec 9, 2022 11:10 pm
Knifesedgegames says:
I played a lot of Toon back in the day :)
Well, let me know if you get the itch to run it again!
Dec 9, 2022 11:18 pm
ctme2000 says:
If you haven't played Broken Sword 1 and 2, recommend those as well (point and click).
I played the first game. I was scarred for life by a VERY ANNOYING goat, I must have been stuck at that point for weeks :D
[ +- ] this one!
Dec 19, 2022 9:31 am
Dr_B says:
I'm North, near Barnet. Don't tell me you're local?! 🤞🤞🤞
I used to play pathfinder with a lovely bunch of ppl in North Finchley (while i lived for about 4 years in High Wycombe).
Last edited December 19, 2022 9:31 am
Dec 19, 2022 9:43 am
ha! Next door, I might ask you their details one day...
Jan 16, 2023 4:46 pm
Did you invent this? LOL
https://i.imgur.com/aAGjR2H.jpg
Jan 16, 2023 5:23 pm
🤣 I wish! (now I want to know what it tastes like)
Jan 16, 2023 5:38 pm
It's a Dr Pepper clone, it's close but it's not as cherry flavored. I drink the diet version all the time.

I actually prefer the HEB brand Cola more than Coke, it's just better
Last edited January 16, 2023 5:41 pm
Jan 16, 2023 7:52 pm
I have to try these!
Jan 16, 2023 8:52 pm
Come to Texas next holiday. Austin is a quirky city most people like. If I was able I'd give you a room but I'm in a horrible apartment for the moment and don't have enough space to even invite people over for a meal.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.