[Interest Check]Seasons of Tempest and Mirth

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

ClosedPowered by the ApocalypsePublic2 / weekRabbits
https://i.imgur.com/IGOuYJz.jpg
Seasons of Tempest and Mirth
Concept
Use the above collection of images and creative prompts to generate a setting and characters.

Aim
Play to explore, create a world and discover the characters within.

Tone
Sci-Fi/fantasy. Airy. Light. Drama and comedy-- but never gonzo or silly.
Adventuresome and friendly, scary things but not a focus on horror.

Subject Matter
PG-13.

Rule Set

The Iridescent Hack

The Oracle
[ +- ] The d66 table
Names
[ +- ] The d66 tables

Dec 25, 2022 5:26 pm
I would like to GM a game inspired by this set of images and the included oracle.

For 1-3 players using a solo-threading format. Solo-threading means individualized posts for each character yet all characters are in the same world. Rare crossover scenes that include multiple player characters are possible - but not a focus of play.

If you answer Yes to any of the statements below, this might be a fun game for you:

You usually GM, but want a chance to take a character out for a spin.
You enjoy improvisational and collaborative play.
Playing PbtA or FitD games has been on your to-do list for too long.
You enjoy pushing your characters into trouble and out again.
You enjoy tweaking and adjusting rules on-the-fly.

Inspirations
In a Wicked Age, The Wizard’s Grimoire, Blades in the Dark, World of Dungeons, Apocalypse World, Burning Wheel, Microscope.

A Note on the Rules
The Iridescent Hack are rules morphed from World of Dungeons as part of several months of playing in other PbP games.

Posting Rate
This will be the third active game I’m GMing. My current games have priority. I won’t post on this game until I’m caught up on my other games. As such, my posting rate will vary, but I don’t anticipate more than 3-4 days lag time. I’ll likely reply within 36 hours.
You can post at any rate that works for you. I prefer at least once a week, but I’m good with anything.

What To Do Next if You’re Interested
Skim the Iridescent Hack paying close attention to Character Moves. If that seems fun and exciting, then, in this thread, roll a few times on the Oracle. From the results imagine a situation and a character it implies. Give a brief Situation and then write an associated Character Move, maybe a Belief.

This might not be the character you actually end up running, but it will give you a sense of what this game will ask of you.
[ +- ] Example of Oracle, Situation, Character Move and Belief
Please feel free to ask me questions.
Even if you are not interested, you're still welcome to roll on the Oracle and create a situation/character move/belief combo here (which I might possibly steal for an NPC).
Dec 25, 2022 9:23 pm
Looks super-cool! Need to focus on my own stuff, but good luck with this!
Dec 25, 2022 10:47 pm
I think I'm interested in this. I should have a bit of time in the next day or so to consult the Oracle and to try and come up with a situation, character etc.
Dec 26, 2022 1:57 am
Good to see you, Dunder!
Dec 27, 2022 6:21 pm
Harrigan says:
Looks super-cool! Need to focus on my own stuff, but good luck with this!
Thanks, Harrigan!
Dec 27, 2022 6:22 pm
Jomsviking says:
You had me at rabbits.
Ha! Cool.
Let me know if you have any questions about the Oracle or Character Moves.
Dec 27, 2022 6:23 pm
dunderklumpen says:
I think I'm interested in this. I should have a bit of time in the next day or so to consult the Oracle and to try and come up with a situation, character etc.
Great! No rush. Let me know if you have questions.
Dec 27, 2022 7:42 pm
This looks amazing, I'm very interested! The images and oracles are creatively evocative to me and the aim and tone are what I'm looking for in a game like this.
Quote:
If you answer Yes to any of the statements below, this might be a fun game for you:

You usually GM, but want a chance to take a character out for a spin.
You enjoy improvisational and collaborative play.
Playing PbtA or FitD games has been on your to-do list for too long.
You enjoy pushing your characters into trouble and out again.
You enjoy tweaking and adjusting rules on-the-fly.
I wouldn't say that I usually GM, but I definitely enjoy GMing and that influences how I play as a player.

I have played a lot of PbtA (Apocalypse World, Dungeon World, Uncharted Worlds and Lady Blackbird) and really enjoy that style of play. I've wanted to try FitD for awhile, but I've always had a full plate when other opportunities have popped up on GP, so I'm really excited that this game has some influence from that system/style and that I'm only committed to one other game at the moment.

I enjoy imagining exciting successes, complicating partial successes, and dramatic consequences that lead to trouble or tough choices for characters and then playing to find out.

For PtbA/narrative-style games, I enjoy tweaking the rules to fit the situation, particularly in advance of the roll, so everyone knows what the stakes are in that situation, it makes the roll more exciting. I'm not a huge fan of tweaking the rules post-roll because I think that often feels railroady, although creative interpretation is definitely welcome and enjoyable.
Quote:
Inspirations
In a Wicked Age, The Wizard’s Grimoire, Blades in the Dark, World of Dungeons, Apocalypse World, Burning Wheel, Microscope.
I haven't heard of Wicked Age or Wizard's Grimoire before, but Burning Wheel is another game I've been interested to try. I've played a lot of microscope (including 2 games here on GP) and I really enjoy the shared interactive world building that can happen there.
Quote:
Posting Rate
This will be the third active game I’m GMing. My current games have priority. I won’t post on this game until I’m caught up on my other games. As such, my posting rate will vary, but I don’t anticipate more than 3-4 days lag time. I’ll likely reply within 36 hours.
You can post at any rate that works for you. I prefer at least once a week, but I’m good with anything.
I like the flexible posting rate because I'll be quite busy in January, so I might be a little slow to start (1-2 posts per week), but if the game goes well, I expect to settle in around 24 - 72 h response time.

I'll roll on the Oracles, think about their meaning and get back to you ...

Rolls

Region - (1d6)

(6) = 6

Name - (1d6, 1d6)

1d6 : (4) = 4

1d6 : (6) = 6

Oracle 1 - (1d6, 1d6)

1d6 : (2) = 2

Oracle 2 - (1d6, 1d6)

Oracle 3 - (1d6, 1d6)

1d6 : (3) = 3

1d6 : (1) = 1

Dec 27, 2022 7:53 pm
Oops, Region was supposed to be 1d3, so 6 = 3.

Region: Khist-Nolmriah
Name: Oril

Oracle 1:
The wreckage of a colossal airship.

Oracle 2:
Discord and dissent on the verge of merchant civil war.

Oracle 3:
A stringless mandolin with emerald inlay.

Awesome, I'll let these stew for a bit and come back later ...
Dec 28, 2022 12:13 am
Khist-Nolmriah - Somewhere

https://i.imgur.com/GaspgEC.jpg
The platinum blade, heavier and harder than any steel, strengthened by dendritic growths of sperylite. Wraith like it swallowed light. Torc smiled, the omen was good, a dark blade, for a dark Deed.

https://i.imgur.com/p9WkvVY.jpg
The scriptorium where silence and speed are cherished above all else. Such a place given to the weird rites that bound man to Outsider. Flood plains full of grime and ruin. The vision became clear, there would be found the sacrifice.

https://i.imgur.com/56FXswO.jpg
As the vision faded, Torc rose from his meditation, seeking his guildsmates. The hunt would commence as soon as they assembled. Nigh is the time, near was the hour.

Player Move:
Bearer of the Curse:
A ravenous hunger for souls fuels you. No amount of food or drink will satisfy. Only the death of great souls near the Cursed One will satisfy. Duty is all, forsake it and suffer a fate far worse than the death you will never know. Seek great souls to restore your humanity. Increase an attribute of your choice by 2, decrease Charisma by 2.

Ashen Undead:
Your hunger has been fulfilled, and you are free to pursue your duty. Wary death, for even though it's sting will not keep you down, you are still accursed and will revert to a ravenous hungering undead upon it. Precious humanity ill afforded to be lost. Increase Charisma by 2.

Belief:

Though I cannot die, I know of fates worse than death. I believe it is right to take life if the end justifies the means.
Last edited January 6, 2023 10:55 am

Rolls

Origin - (1d3)

(3) = 3

Name - (1d6, 1d6)

Oracle 1 - (1d6, 1d6)

Oracle 2 - (1d6, 1d6)

Oracle 3 - (1d6, 1d6)

Dec 28, 2022 3:32 am
This reminds me of making an Everway character. I will back to play with the Oracle and if there is room, I would to play.
Dec 28, 2022 7:31 am
Harrigan says:
Good to see you, Dunder!
Hey Harrigan. Good to see you too. Maybe we'll be in a game together at some stage
Dec 28, 2022 7:40 am
I'm going to roll some dice (maybe reroll if the result have already come up and see if I can get something cooking.

Region: The Seven Kingdoms of Llorinth
Name: Colsea
Origins:
The financial district filled with fog.
A tin of fine tobacco
The wreckage of a colossal airship.
The crimes of a local magistrate, swept under the rug.

Some interesting stuff to ruminate on
Last edited December 28, 2022 7:55 am

Rolls

Region - (1d3)

(2) = 2

Name - (2d6)

(36) = 9

Oracle - (2d6)

(24) = 6

Oracle - (2d6)

(21) = 3

Oracle - (2d6)

(26) = 8

Oracle - (2d6)

(65) = 11

Dec 28, 2022 2:17 pm
Let's see what we get.

Origin: Seven Kingdoms of Llorinth
Name: Hidgest

Discord and dissent on the verge of merchant civil war
A school for the mathematically gifted
The friendship between an aristocrat and a constable

When the biggest draw your city has is an academy for math, well it makes life pretty quiet for the city watch. Even the drunkest of scholars don't make much trouble. So you can imagine our surprise when mercenary companies start lining up around the city while city-state envoys demand or imply how much better things would be if they just turn over the city to them before things get messy. I had no idea what was going on until Count Rodolfo found me, city patron and, I like to think, friend. Turns out one of the scholars, Miko, did a mathematical analysis of trade patterns in the region. It was supposed to be a boring project so she could graduate. Instead, she found years upon years of graft, kickbacks, and shady dealings and before she realized she should bury this and pretend not to have noticed, word got out. Now all the merchant lords are up in arms, claiming that they are the wronged party and once they have the scholar in safe custody, the full report will prove it! Count Rodolfo is supposed to turn her over to the Duke of Milano as is his feudal duty. He would consider it a great favor if when he went to collect Miko tomorrow, the Count would not find her. I nodded. The poor scholar did not deserve this and the count has always been good to me.

Member of the City Watch

Members of the City Watch are expected to stay in shape and are given basic instruction in the use of spears and daggers and wearing of leather armor. They are also expected to obey orders. + 1 Str, +1 Dex, -1 Cha You have several contacts in the Watch and among the citizens of the city where you patrol. You earn enough to survive if you are careful.

Sergeant of the City Watch (Member of the Watch prereq)

Through competence and connections, you have earned a rank in the City Watch. +1 Int, +1 Cha. Advance any social actions for those of lower rank in the Watch and for the common folk of the city. As Sergeant you have been to track down criminals and recognize criminal activity. Advance associated actions but diminish social actions with those that have something to hide from the law. You earn an income for a modest lifestyle.

Patronage of Count Rodolfo

The Count watches your career with interest and others watch the Count's interest in the same way. Advance associated social actions with those allied with the Count and diminish associated social actions with those opposed to the Count. The Count arranges for gifts to find their way to you. Your overall lifestyle remains modest but you have several possessions of finer quality than your lifestyle can afford.

Belief: The innocent should flourish and the guilty punished. I will rescue the scholar Miko and take her to a place of safety.
Last edited December 28, 2022 3:20 pm

Rolls

Origin - (1d3)

(2) = 2

Name - (1d6, 1d6)

Oracle - (1d6, 1d6)

Oracle - (1d6, 1d6)

Oracle - (1d6, 1d6)

Oracle (reroll duplicate) - (1d6, 1d6)

Dec 28, 2022 7:40 pm
Quote:
Instead, she found years upon years of graft, kickbacks, and shady dealings and before she realized she should bury this and pretend not to have noticed, word got out.
Oh, this is wonderful.
Dec 28, 2022 7:42 pm
Quote:
Such a place given to the weird rites that bound man to Outsider. Flood plains full of grime and ruin. The vision became clear, there would be found the sacrifice.
This is intense! Gives a distinct impression of Khist-Nolmriah.
Dec 28, 2022 7:47 pm
I can't wait to see the other starters.
Just a reminder, nothing here is set in stone. Feel free to just let your imagination run.

Once we move over to the main thread, we'll do some shared World building, tweak things and lock items into place.
I like to do the Microscope Palette if you're familiar with that.

Thanks, everyone! I'm super jazzed.
Jan 4, 2023 3:17 pm
dunderklumpen and Chalrytharendir, any thoughts on your oracles? I'm looking forward to seeing what you or others can come up with.
Jan 5, 2023 6:12 am
Sorry for the delay, busy with holidays and beginning of the year. I should be able to post tomorrow. I enjoyed your post Verrain and am looking forward to adding some potential ideas.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.