OOC

Feb 8, 2023 9:08 pm
Please use this thread for OOC conversations or questions. Some comments still belong in the Gameplay thread, so please use your best judgement.

As you join, let's get a little introduction from each of you (whatever you want to share), and what you're looking for in this game? Also, I'm curious if we want to make this game public, or if we're interested in using a Discord to supplement the game?
Feb 10, 2023 8:32 pm
To start, I'm Charles and I've been RPing since the end of AD&D 2e, but only fairly recently have I explored systems outside of D&D. I've explored plenty of systems in the last few years, and keep coming back to some form of fantasy. Swords and Wizardry is hitting a sweet spot for me where it is pretty minimalist, but still packed full of flavor. Outside of the game I'm a pretty active person, usually spending my weekends backpacking or skiing, and I try to fit in some climbing throughout the week. I recognize many of the applicants from other games, and now I'm excited to be your DM!
Feb 10, 2023 9:00 pm
Hiya Chuck! As long as we're sharing real names, I'm Paul, and I've also been playing longer than is reasonable. Big fan of old school gaming, DCC, BECMI, 1e/2e etc... I also have a deep love of the cyberpunk genre.

I'll be honest, Vikings would have been my last pic as a setting but as a professional gamer I will find the love within the game itself. Perhaps I could play a character who is a trusted slave to the Jarl, an outlander captured on a raid some time ago. At any rate I am a fan of cowleyc's play style and I have high hopes for the campaign.
Feb 10, 2023 9:41 pm
Well, if you all decide that you want a little more skin color, there will always be the option to dive deeper into other storylines that may take you from the cold north.
Feb 10, 2023 9:56 pm
The world is our oyster! I'm thinking of playing an elven thief and according to the description of northern elves it seems like I (strangely for the climate) have darker skin anyway ;)
Feb 10, 2023 10:11 pm
The darker skin tone isn't that strange! Reindeer herders living on the snow, the melanin helps with UV reflected from the snow! As an example, look at the Inuit people!
Feb 10, 2023 10:38 pm
Oh man you totally got me there! Yeah I didn't even consider the snow bounce. Touche good sir.
Feb 11, 2023 6:11 am
Ok so how Norse mythology are we going with these dark elves that don't blink?
[ +- ] More DND style
[ +- ] More mythological
Last edited February 11, 2023 6:14 am
Feb 11, 2023 6:15 am
So, the elves are pretty much just Inuit elves. BUT! You tell me what their traditional face paint is, or what kind of masks they wear.
Feb 11, 2023 3:51 pm
Hi everyone! I'm Stuart and I also started with AD&D 2e. Since then I've played many different systems but haven't got to play an OSR-style game for a long time, so I'm excited and grateful for the chance. I also find the viking-inspired setting quite evocative and flavourful, so I'm sure it'll be great fun. My other hobby is playing bagpipes in a pipes and drums band.
Feb 11, 2023 4:47 pm
Oh man that's awesome! I love the pipes (in reasonable doses lol). What are you thinking of playing as?
Feb 11, 2023 4:49 pm
Oh man everyone is rolling almost identical stats! Glitch in the matrix??
Last edited February 11, 2023 4:57 pm
Feb 11, 2023 4:57 pm
Praise Wodan for our competence!
Feb 11, 2023 4:57 pm
So question for @cowleyc: the SRD says under the fighter description that any race may be a fighter but then some races (like half elf) say you can't be single classes other than thief. What's the ruling?

Also can I be an elf or half-elf as the bard class you found or is it for humans only like the other specialty classes? I think 2e let humans and half-elves only...
Feb 11, 2023 5:03 pm
Technically any race can be a fighter of some sort, but single class is reserved for a few. Humans, dwarves, and probably halflings. The races describe the specific class combinations.

As for the bard, it does seem more human-based, but I think the north has more poets than the Southlands. So go ahead with an elf if you want.
Feb 11, 2023 5:45 pm
I want to play a seer, someone steeped in the runic language who looks deep into oracles and portents.
Someone that is usually covered in mud. A character that tells you to "Ignore the bones"!

Something like...

https://i.imgur.com/pU8AbxJ.png
Feb 11, 2023 6:20 pm
Nice! Love the look, I assume he brought enough mushrooms for the whole class...
Feb 11, 2023 7:21 pm
I'm out skiing today (with good reception) so I might be a bit slow in responding. @Valdus, I did look for a rune seer before and found a modification of a cleric. I'll try to find that again, but probably tomorrow.
Feb 11, 2023 8:03 pm
We definitely need a cleric...
Feb 11, 2023 9:14 pm
I’m another Charles but I’ve gone by Chip since back when my brothers and I played AD&D in the 80s. I stopped playing by the time I was into high school girlfriends, but I picked back up about 5 years ago and have been playing as much as I can in many forms; 5e (although I could give that up already), DCC (which I can’t get enough of), and a few others. Anything medieval with high or low fantasy is always my favorite.

I’m going with a human ranger who married into the Henrikson clan. Yance Leafshadow was quite a nomad, feeling more at home in the trees than in a village but he saw the advantage of joining a powerful clan. His idea of marriage is far from romantic. He thinks of his wife as a loyalty contract who will give him children. His strengths in battle are the shortbow and the bastard sword. He has had visions from childhood of giants so he has traveled the north looking to find and learn how giants live. He speaks their language and longs to be among them.
https://i.imgur.com/LYjXJXb.jpg
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.