daryen / Skeeve

Apr 1, 2023 3:49 pm
Welcome @daryen / Skeeve

This thread is for your character creation. Take a look at welcome and character creation.

If you have any questions you can post them here or if you think they are general on the Q&A
Apr 1, 2023 4:05 pm
Looks like you are good to go.

Lets say the fey gave you a stick. Though obviously not carved with tools it is hard and smooth from repeated handling and 2.5 feet long. Through experimentation you have found you are able to influence the stick a bit making to as soft and pliable as a vine as long or stretch out becoming thinner and longer or shorter and fatter. The changes to its form and flexibility only last as long as you maintain direct contact with it and funnel a trickle of magic into it. Mostly you wear it as a belt under your shirt or use it as a walking stick. Occasionally you use it as a tool as the pliability when you inject magic into it allows you to shape it and then let it harden into a variety of useful shapes. Though a useful your magic senses indicate this is not its true power which resides dep within and has ignores all your attempts to access it.

I have a couple of options. Let me know your preference
1. Start on your own outside the expedition heading out to find adventure and bring peace
2. I could have for you to bump into another newcomer who is in the midst of an adventure and you can work together until you meet up with the rest of the characters.
3. Start in the expedition base as an apprentice to the wizard who want to step out from his slightly old and cautiously overprotective shadow
Apr 1, 2023 4:27 pm
I like #2. The third one implies a history that doesn't fit in my mind. And I like the idea of starting with someone else rather than alone. That way he gets to know one person first, then the rest. That fits how I see him better.

And thanks for the stick. It sounds cool as is and can grow later. I like it!

Edit: never mind on the other question. I'm good with "stick" as mastered weapon.
Last edited April 1, 2023 4:29 pm
Apr 1, 2023 4:35 pm
Also, I updated the character sheet to integrate the stick.
Apr 1, 2023 4:38 pm
No mastered weapons to start, just a weapon. Mastery will be added later.
I simplified characters to start so character creation is simpler since this is for newcomers and has a pretty high turn over as they move on though some stick around
Apr 1, 2023 4:43 pm
Alright you can join in with the story here.
Apr 2, 2023 4:39 pm
FYI: I made two changes to my character sheet:
1) His Belief has changed to "What is my place?" I thought that actually makes more sense with the background I gave him. I hope that is OK.
2) I deleted the leather armor. It doesn't matter in Tiny Dungeons (without the correct Trait), and it doesn't really fit with his description I am giving. He just has his simple, rough clothes. I'll pretend they provide some protection. (Since they will include leathers and hides, anyway.)
Apr 2, 2023 4:47 pm
No problem about the belief
I am still a bit new to TinyD6 but I though somewhere it says something about a lack of armor can make it easier to hit you. But thick leather and hide clothing are good enough for me
Apr 23, 2023 5:26 pm
I've seen mention of fey being opponents to the Expedition. I would think that Skeeve's having lived and served the fey for so many years should give him some advantage when trying to figure out what they are doing or predict their actions/reactions. However, I assume it will NOT give any advantage to actually deal with them, as fey are so individualistic and independent. Plus, there are probably prejudices between otherworldly fey and those who choose to live in the mortal realms. Plus, him having been a fey servant likely does him no favors either. (But then, he has a trait for that part.)

I just wanted to mention this before it comes relevant to make sure I stated my thoughts and find out how valid they are.
Apr 23, 2023 5:36 pm
Well you are charismatic so have advantage with that to convince them to behoove or agree with you.
May 29, 2023 7:37 pm
I added Spell Reader to Skeeve's character sheet. Please change the wording if I got anything wrong. (I did it from memory, but it is pretty simple.)

I didn't add the potions or scroll, as those are consumables. Should I add them anyway?
May 29, 2023 7:45 pm
Added some form fields for potions and scrolls to your sheet in "Equipment" you can edit easily and copy/paste to replicate.
May 29, 2023 8:00 pm
You know how there is the black bar for the experience? Can you build something similar for money?

It looks like Skeeve currently has 50cp, 35sp, 7gp, a diamond(50gp), a jasper(30gp), and a torc(25gp). (I assume the dungeoneering supplies were taken from the common pool and belong to the common pool.)

And thank you for the potion and scroll entries!
Last edited May 29, 2023 8:01 pm
May 29, 2023 8:10 pm
done - things can be rearanged if you want easier access to scrolls/potions and to put the coin/loot in equipment
Just let me know
May 29, 2023 8:21 pm
That looks great! Thank you!
Sep 6, 2023 12:49 pm
@Psybermagi,

I was looking back at a couple retired characters and I noticed with the Rikia character you had redefined the Spell Reader trait. I got the Spell Reader trait myself. Can I use the version of the trait that you gave her? If so, then it will make that trait much more useful since it would mean I could create my own scrolls instead of only being able to use those I find. In fact, I would be more than willing to simply adopt the "words" that her character had and just assume that Rikia was who taught Skeeve the Spell Reader trait.

So, can I do that?
Sep 6, 2023 1:45 pm
Spell Reader says:
You have spent years learning the true language of the arcane world, allowing you to read power-laced words from magic scrolls. You have mastered a few arcane words, inscribed into your talisman, that you can combine to craft spell scrolls with a successful test. Failure requires you to restart the time spent. Spells crafted only using mastered words test with advantage. The more words combined the greater the effect and the more costly the scroll and longer it takes to craft.
# Word 1 2 3 4
Minutes 1 10 90 900
Gold 1 10 100 1,000

Perform a standard 2d6 Test to successfully read the scroll. When successfully read, the magic of the scroll takes effect, and the scroll turns to dust. If the Test is failed, the magic is not invoked and the scroll is unaffected.
Any spell crafted without using only these words will be at disadvantage and cost more. Attempts to craft scrolls or talismans for effects you have not mastered may fail wasting time and money. This is why most spell-readers will specialize in using the words they know and trade with others. Most cities or counties will have a spell-reader you can trade with.

Example words and talismans: Fire(combust), life(heal), conceal(advantage to hide), speed(increased movement), wind(dust devil), break(Rot wood), mend(repair a cracked vase), etc.
I will need to read over this, I am still fidling with balancing things, but dont see a problem. I will let you now later today on any changes
Sep 6, 2023 2:06 pm
Pick your the words for now and we can go from there.
I figure a 1 word scroll is about x2 the power of spell touched effects, 2 is x4, 3 is x8 but these factors are distributed into duration and area of affect
Sep 6, 2023 4:23 pm
How many words, since I'm getting this in-stream, rather than starting with this as a longer assumed past? The "full" four, or just a couple and I have to work/find the others? Also, how many am I allowed to learn? Should I just take, say, two now to leave "room" for two more? Or is there no limit, so I should start with all four as it doesn't limit my ability or opportunity for more? Also, I wasn't clear, are the talismans (with the words) only good for making a scroll? Or can they be used directly? If they can be used directly, does this destroy the talisman?

I am going to just assume that he learned his words from Rikia, so I'll start with hers: Fire, Shield, Wind, Speed. If I am limited in what I can learn, I will learn them in the order I just gave (Fire first; Speed last). I will, of course, always be looking for the chance to learn more words. Life seems like a good candidate to look for. Mend would be cool too (to fix his armor during a session).

So, the background would simply be that when he learned how Rikia's magic works, he asked her to show him how she did it. He then focused on one word (Fire) and learned to make his own talisman for it. Once he succeeded with that talisman, he worked on the others she could teach him, one by one. (You get to tell me how many that is, if any.) I am completely cool with needing to learn the words over time.
Sep 7, 2023 1:42 am
How about this . .
you studies with Rikia and studdied her words but part of the process is to truely grok the word which is affected by your experience.
You start with
= Radiance : Light / Heat / Sun
+ Pick 2 from the table
Word Mind Force Sunder
Afinity ESP/Charm Reppel/Attract Break/Harm

+ You can learn a fourth by experimenting with spell touched

You can learm more but this translates to a gorwth in powe so I will try to balance your Word progression with others traits.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.