Open Recruiting: Planescape Mega Campaign

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

OpenDungeons & Dragons 5thPublic1 / dayAlordis
In the Planes, everything and I mean everything happens in threes. There's even a rule about it- the Rule of Threes. So is it any wonder that when there's trouble in the multiverse- true multiversal trouble it comes in threes as well?

First there's some mysterious Doors opening in Sigil- Four of them to be precise and an even more mysterious threat behind them.

Then there's a strange infection spreading throughout the multiverse- connected somehow to a little known method of planar travel known as the Infinite Staircase.

Finally, on Mechanism something strange has happened - the Great Modron March has started! That on its own isn't anything too unusual, but it's started five hundred years early, which for the ultra lawful Modrons can only spell some kind of trouble.

What exactly is this campaign: this will be a massive planescape campaign adapting as many as possible of the published modules to 5th Edition, built around the three large modules.
[ +- ] Modules
How Will this work? the initial kick off will be a scenario where all players are present in the vicinity of the Shattered Temple at the same time. From there, groups will filter off into investigating different leads that will take them down different paths dealing with the three core modules and other mysteries and adventures throughout the planes.

Who Can Join? Anyone- and I mean anyone. I might end up capping the group at some high number, but 18 players fits very easily into the framework and I could accommodate more if there were interest.

But wait, does that mean if I join I won't be doing (said module)? yes, that does mean that whole some players are investigating the Great Modron March, others will be walking the Infinite Staircase, etc. Not everyone will do every adventure, I promise all the paths will be epic and rewarding.

May 25, 2023 2:55 am
In the Planes, everything and I mean everything happens in threes. There's even a rule about it- the Rule of Threes. So is it any wonder that when there's trouble in the multiverse- true multiversal trouble it comes in threes as well?

First there's some mysterious Doors opening in Sigil- Four of them to be precise and an even more mysterious threat behind them.

Then there's a strange infection spreading throughout the multiverse- connected somehow to a little known method of planar travel known as the Infinite Staircase.

Finally, on Mechanism something strange has happened - the Great Modron March has started! That on its own isn't anything too unusual, but it's started five hundred years early, which for the ultra lawful Modrons can only spell some kind of trouble.

What exactly is this campaign: this will be a massive planescape campaign adapting as many as possible of the published modules to 5th Edition, built around the three large modules.
[ +- ] Modules
How Will this work? the initial kick off will be a scenario where all players are present in the vicinity of the Shattered Temple at the same time. From there, groups will filter off into investigating different leads that will take them down different paths dealing with the three core modules and other mysteries and adventures throughout the planes.

Who Can Join? Anyone- and I mean anyone. I might end up capping the group at some high number, but 18 players fits very easily into the framework and I could accommodate more if there were interest.

But wait, does that mean if I join I won't be doing (said module)? yes, that does mean that whole some players are investigating the Great Modron March, others will be walking the Infinite Staircase, etc. Not everyone will do every adventure, I promise all the paths will be epic and rewarding.

So when will this start? I still have some infrastructure to build, but we can start character creation now- I will aim to start next weekend depending on if a quarum of players are joined and complete with their characters.
[ +- ] Original Post
So when you are ready to join, come here and start making your characters.
Last edited May 28, 2023 7:03 pm
May 25, 2023 3:05 am
I don't really know anything about planescape except a quick Google search, but if you end up running it in 5e I would be interested.
May 25, 2023 3:08 am
I love Planescape and would be interested in 5e or 2e. Not Pathfinder, that system and I don't get along.
May 25, 2023 3:40 am
I love the planescape setting. Especially traveling around the planes, adventuring in Sigle and the philosophy debate among the factions (sometimes the debates take place with an axe)

I'm for 5e or PF2e. I'm not a fan of PF1e but for a good planescape game I would make an exception
May 25, 2023 4:19 am
I was literally talking to some people here a day or two ago about running one, so I'm glad you've pitched a game!
May 25, 2023 7:17 am
I would love planescape. I played it in 2e and still have a few boxed sets.

I'd play Either 5e or 2e (my 2e will be rusty, it has been many years ago)
I never played PF though
Last edited May 25, 2023 7:18 am
May 25, 2023 8:32 pm
Would def be onboard for that! 5e or 2e!
Last edited May 25, 2023 8:32 pm
May 25, 2023 9:07 pm
I'd be interested since Torment has given me some intrigue to the setting
May 26, 2023 5:08 pm
Well @Alordis what are your thoughts? There seems to be plenty of interest, and who doesn't like the bladepunk stile of Tony DiTerlizzi
May 26, 2023 7:55 pm
So I am definitely running a game- looks like 5th edition is the winner, but it will take me a bit to get the details together for creation and such.

I will be running a combination path of the published adventures- a project I've started a few times and gotten to various spots in but will try to get further on this time.

And yes I'll mercilessly pull he diterlizi stuff into posts haha
May 26, 2023 7:55 pm
So I am definitely running a game- looks like 5th edition is the winner, but it will take me a bit to get the details together for creation and such.

I will be running a combination path of the published adventures- a project I've started a few times and gotten to various spots in but will try to get further on this time.

May 26, 2023 8:00 pm
Alordis says:

Well you have your first applicant for the game. I want to do some artificer/bladesinger characters, but other than that I will await the story pitch so I can make a character that would fit in and strengthen the adventure.

EDIT: I will definitely play an active faction member and those are one of the unique features from the setting that I like the most.
Last edited May 26, 2023 8:13 pm
May 26, 2023 8:03 pm
Second! It'll be nice to play a game where it makes thematic sense to have such an eclectic group.
May 26, 2023 8:13 pm
Yup! Def would love an invite when your ready!
May 26, 2023 8:16 pm
Count me in please.
Last edited May 26, 2023 8:16 pm
May 26, 2023 8:49 pm
Would love to join! Back in ye olde days I played Planescape; Torment and absolutely loved it. Planescape is such a deviation from the generally lighthearted D&D fantasy settings. Such memorable characters too! Morte the floating skull, Annah of the Shadows, Ignus the ever-burning pyromaniac and of course the protagonist who is such a mystery. It really broke the mold. Teenage me really had to come to grips with playing a character like that. So picture me interested!

Oh, and 5E is my favorite D&D system so far, so happy to play in that.
Last edited May 26, 2023 8:50 pm
May 26, 2023 10:44 pm
I would certainly like to join as well for 5e.

I did DM so much Planescape / Forgotton Realms combo in the old days. I'd really like to play now.
I don't really have a character idea yet, but I am happy to fill up whatever the group needs.
May 27, 2023 4:35 am
I'd love to play in a Planescape game. I don't care what edition, but I'll check 2nd purely because the magic rules already work as written for 2nd, including spell keys and reduced castings and the like.

But I'd be just as happy with 5e or pathfinder (think PF2 could even work?)

I own all the boxed sets. I have almost all of the softback books (still missing like three of them). I've even written some Planescape campaign conversions for 5e.
Last edited May 27, 2023 5:42 am
May 27, 2023 5:30 am
I would be up for 5e planescape if you have room for me. My other 5e game fell through
May 27, 2023 11:51 am
Well my intention will be to take as many as possible- still working details on how to do that.

And yes, I am having to update the magic rules- not sure how to square that circle for sure.

And it would definitely never be pf2 for me- I bought literally hundreds of pf1 books so while I know there's people who enjoy it, it felt like a slap in my face that I was just not going along with.
May 27, 2023 12:09 pm
The endless splat is actually what turned me off from PF1. It fell in the same pit as D&D 3.5 of never ending power creep. The makers incentivised min/maxing to such an absurd degree that the game was no longer about the story or characters for many players, who instead felt compelled to copy some build from a munchkin handbook. Sadly, they could not put a personality on that 5-page spreadsheet and instead they believed the goal of the game was having their cardboard character 'win.' Especially in the online games. Ruined so many games.

Which is why I am pleased with 5E so far. Sure, there is a little power disparity, but nothing like what you would see in Pathfinder.
May 27, 2023 12:37 pm
[ +- ] Digression on Editions
TLDR- it's all personal feeling on which edition is preferred, but I want to run where the players are at.

The ruleset I end up at is going to pull broadly on the entire breadth of the OGL, incorporating good alternate sets and "modular" bits from a wide array of games -- for instance while we will be starting in a 5e base rules, I am definitely going to be using the PF library rules from Ultimate Intrigue when appropriate and I am considering some modification of the relationship rules from 13th age.
May 27, 2023 3:49 pm
Alordis says:
Well my intention will be to take as many as possible- still working details on how to do that.
I commented you, but i would suggest that you have 2 parallel games with 5 players each instead of one game with 10.
I did it once with a Spelljammer game and it was only 120% effort of running 2 games instead of 1. Scene setting posts could be copy/pasted and it's was only 4 players that were waiting for the one to post. It kept an okey flow
May 27, 2023 4:10 pm
@runekybdig- right now my intention is to run it as an open table style where there will be a mix of scenarios - some events in Sigil that everyone is involved in, rumors and chant that lead to missions that players will combine to tackle, and then missions or quests (that spun from those rumors) that the group of 3-6 head out and play.

Since I'm using a mix of published material and written content I will get to copy paste a lot of scene setting stuff from the modules anyways.

This way is going to take me a bit to set up, but then everyone will be able to join even if not everyone plays every mission or module or adventure.
May 27, 2023 5:19 pm
How much as I would love to play Planescape, I retract my interest in the game if it is west marches style.
May 27, 2023 5:58 pm
@ledosero- I wasn't familiar with that term, and I understand why that play style would not appeal to some so if you don't end up joining us I will understand.

I am going to be using elements of that, but some of the modules that players will end up hooked into are very long so it's more of a hybrid rather than a true "West marches" sand box.

I will say that the initial scenario will involve everyone, so just pay attention to this thread when I get everything prepared to fire off actual recruiting and see if what I offer catches back your interest.
May 27, 2023 7:30 pm
Will do. A West Marches-esque game sounds fun.
Last edited May 27, 2023 7:33 pm
May 27, 2023 8:02 pm
Where are 5e players at these days on point buy versus rolled generally?
May 27, 2023 8:19 pm
Alordis says:
Point buy is the norm. There is a load of different rolling mechanics, just be clear on what.
A few times i have seen rolled stats but if the result was to low, it could be scrapped for pointbuy
May 27, 2023 8:24 pm
I see it about 50/50 between rolling and point-boy. The only thing everyone avoids is the standard array.
May 27, 2023 8:41 pm
I don't care about point buy or rolling. Anything works.
May 27, 2023 8:47 pm
Alordis says:
Majority of my 5e games are point-buy.

Love the West Marches idea and bravo for bringing this classic setting back to life!
May 27, 2023 9:53 pm
If I get in, I would like to play a bladesinger wizard (with some multi dip) if custom lineages are available.
May 28, 2023 4:10 pm
Well since I see there's another Planescape potentially starting I owe you guys the official pitch which I will update here by the end of the night
May 28, 2023 7:07 pm
Okay- edited this thread into a recruitment thread. I'll start sending invites out to those who've already expressed interest.

Will be a week before I'm ready to start the campaign so join us in character creation .
May 29, 2023 2:28 am
Alordis says:
Well since I see there's another Planescape potentially starting I owe you guys the official pitch which I will update here by the end of the night
Like you said, Rule of Three! The clock was certainly ticking for me with regards to Planescape. Hope this one is a blast!
Jun 1, 2023 7:21 pm
Hello! Are you still looking for people to join?
Jun 1, 2023 8:14 pm
I'd also be interested if there is room.
Jun 1, 2023 8:27 pm
Looks like you two will be 12 and 13 (potentially 14 with one more pending invite), still well below the limit where things get weird.
Jun 2, 2023 2:21 am
I play 5e in person and online. This would be my first PBP game if you kindly have room for one more.
Jun 4, 2023 5:13 am
If I hadn't already pledged my allegiance to lord Bedzone, I would be up, but I'd bite more than I can chew. Maybe this was the pitch that interested me more even, but I was curious to try something new there. Have fun!
Last edited June 4, 2023 5:24 am
Jun 13, 2023 2:39 am
Bumping this-- lost one at the game start here putting us at 11 and being at 12 would definitely be preferable if there's anyone still semi-interested or on the fence we have a great opening on one of our teams for you to jump in now!
Jun 13, 2023 6:09 am
I'm still not sure if this game is for me. I would love to join If you - DM are OK with player who could decide to leave once he understand exactly what DM is proposing there and that does not fit his definition of fun game to play.

Pehaps you could fix some of my misunderstanding of what have been written so far, but this is what I read:
Variable rules set: DM will be using an undefined yet subset of 5e rules altering those rules on the fly.
Undefined quest/story: we only know how/where we gather, what we will be doing is not yet defined and PC backgrounds mus be finished without knowing what will they commit to risk their lives on
Jun 13, 2023 8:55 am
After reading some of the game threads I have extra questions:

If I join - would my PC be joining an existing 4 player group (as 4th PC) and jumping into a module and setting knowledge outside that module will not be extra important until we finish module

@Alordis would it be possible for you to "establish why my PC is in the area of the Shattered Temple" and suggest me how to spend my 3 relationship based on my character idea. I just don't have the time to get learn setting in details to be able to make a reasonable choice
Jun 13, 2023 10:00 am
We have started the prolonged adventure, but the groups have not been established yet so it is very near the beginning of the action.

Yes- you won't know which of the three main quests your group is heading towards, but you do know that what we'll be doing is running planes cape published modules l, and I'll point out that most characters don't start out knowing exactly what adventures they will get into.

And yes, I absolutely will make suggestions to help you finish the character from your idea.

As far as rules- the major deviation us the relationship thing, stuff like libraries will only show up as appropriate to the story and those are more like specific monsters or skill challenges where its a way to make something more engaging than "roll a single int or arcana check".
Jun 13, 2023 5:54 pm
Hello!

This looks interesting, i would like to apply if there's any space left.
Last edited June 13, 2023 5:55 pm
Jun 14, 2023 9:15 pm
Same here... It could be fun and interesting to join if there is still room. If not... just keep me in mind if there are some drop-offs along the way

Cheers and thanks for putting this up!
Jun 15, 2023 1:31 am
I would also be interested if there’s still space.
Jun 15, 2023 2:37 am
We are inching closer to the 18 number that I think will cap it, but not there yet; invites will be sent and you can join in media res when you have characters ready.
Dec 18, 2023 6:29 pm
Hey, I'm new to this site, but just out of curiosity because game status says open, is it? :)
Dec 20, 2023 1:24 am
Sorry-- no I had to close all my games down due to life pressures. If I start them up again will let you know.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.