Chapter 3: The Road to Highport

load previous
Aug 3, 2023 2:18 pm
"It would be an honor," Bamber replies to the pretty full elf.

In response to the servant, Bamber shakes her head. Her eyes are already searching for ways in and out of the mansion. It is unlikely that this will turn into an acrobatic adventure, but a girl can only hope that at least one skylight will make impromptu service as an entrance.
Aug 3, 2023 2:51 pm
"What do you think?" Esme asks of Bamber once they've settled into the room.
Aug 3, 2023 4:41 pm
"The rooms are very nondescrip, but still manor-like, don't you think?" She smiles innocently before drawing one of her scimitars and checking the ceiling height for overhand slashes.

"I have two thoughts. The first is that she said most guests are coming tomorrow, which may mean that there are others who have also arrived early. We should find them and learn what we can about them, the Dame, and the upcoming festivities." Putting her scimitar away, she adds, "The second is that we have an entire day to explore this mansion and abuse the boundaries of polite, um, guestitude."
Aug 3, 2023 4:50 pm
Esmenlara stops feeling the blankets of the soft bed and glances upward at the ceiling height. "Y-yes, that is exactly what I was thinking, too. About the guests. Not about the room."

Placing her hands in front of her and away from the comforts of the rich, Esme continues, "Where would an early guest take their leisure? I suppose we could ask one of the servants."
Aug 3, 2023 6:31 pm
She claps her hands. "Brilliant, yes, we should avail ourselves of hospitality and do our very best to make the other guests feel welcome. The more we know each other, the more the event will feel warm and natural, like a party of peers rather than an audience of enemies." She chews on her own word play, inordinately pleased with how those sounds taste.

"Audience of Enemies, would make a good stage play, don't you think?"
Aug 3, 2023 7:18 pm
"It... sounds good?" says Esme, clearly having never attended a stage play before. "Have you spoken with many people in high regard?"
Aug 3, 2023 7:32 pm
"I hold everyone in high regard!" she jokes, and then shakes her head. "But no, I've not rubbed shoulders with the rich and affluential before, well, today."
Aug 3, 2023 8:33 pm
Esmenlara nods. "I suppose we just have to be polite and friendly," she says. "And hope that they're the same."
Aug 4, 2023 3:10 am
After settling into their room, Gil goes to the adjacent room and knocks on the door. "Oh friends! If you wouldn't mind doing away with this inane barrier - I'm bored! We should surely be able to find a drink around here, yes?"
Aug 5, 2023 12:54 am
Bamber looks at Esmenlara and shakes her head. "Men!" and gives Gil the jutted out hip and the look, in female solidarity.

Until she decides she actually wants a drink. "Esmenlara and I were just discussing the strategem of interacting with the other early guests. A little libation and who knows what tidbits of secrets and subterfuges might slip out of wine-loosened tongues."
Aug 7, 2023 8:56 pm
You leave the room and inquire about a place to get a drink. You are directed to a cozy room with a number of cushioned seats, couches, and tables scattered about. A man waits near a bar in the corner ready to server drinks.

You see a few others in the room:
- A well-built man with white hair and neatly trimmed beard. He's getting older, but still appears to be in fighting shape
- An old, feeble-looking man with little hair and a long beard wearing scholars robes. He sits at a table with an open book in front of him and a piece of parchment that he occasionally writes on
- A dwarf with slicked back hair and meticulously oiled and braided beard
- An attractive younger woman (early 20s) wearing a beautiful gown
Aug 8, 2023 7:23 am
Gil wears his best evening attire (which is only slightly more formal than what he'd wear normally) and a smile. "Oh, a bar! I will return my friends, only a moment, and with libations!"

He heads over to speak with the bartender. "Well, hello good sir! I have a feeling you and I will become fast friends."
Last edited August 8, 2023 7:25 am
Aug 9, 2023 12:30 am
The bartender chuckles and smiles, "Funny, I was never this popular when I was in the city guard. I guess it must be this fancy outfit that makes everyone like me!"
Aug 9, 2023 1:59 am
Bamber sizes up the four guests, and shudders at the prospect of talking the the librarian. The dwarf looks like a player, and the attractive young woman looks like she'd make Bamber look frumpy, so, tough guy it is!

She waves at everyone, and then says to the room, "I'm Bamber, that's Gilthalion, and these are Esmenlara and Ixion. We're invited, well, those two were and I kind of hung onto the back of the carriage singing until they let me come with them on the promise that I would stop. Singing that is."

She approaches the well-built man, offering her hand. "Bamber Silvertip!"
Aug 9, 2023 2:20 am
Esmenlara curtsies at the introduction, though she feels a bit out of place in this prestigious gathering. She decides to follow Bamber simply because the other seems to know how to handle herself.
Aug 9, 2023 9:41 am
"Oh, yes, most assuredly the outfit, good sir. It looks absolutely splendid on you, of course." Gil's eyes look beyond the man and expresses a look of overexaggerated surprise. "My, my, do you happen to pour drinks here? I just noticed your fine assortment of liquors, and here I was coming across the room only to compliment you on that tunic."

At Bamber's introduction he smiles and half-turns to wave half-interested at those in the room before returning to the bartender. "Well, that should do for introductions, I suppose. Do you have any specials you recommend?"
Last edited August 9, 2023 9:44 am
Aug 9, 2023 8:01 pm
The well-built man smiles in a friendly manner, taking Bamber's hand and bowing low to kiss it chivalrously, "I am Bernaldo Bravos, Paladin to Pelor the Shining One."

He does likewise to Esme and shakes the hand of the men that are close enough, "'Tis good to meet you all. I imagine you are here for the Feast of Edoira? It should be quite an enjoyable week, as the Dame hosts an excellent party."

The bartender winks, "Yes, I do in fact serve the alcohol here," he says, then points out several bottles, "I have some fine wines, but my preference is the whiskey, aged 30 years in oak casks."
Aug 10, 2023 12:50 am
"Pelor!" blurts Esmenlara, shattering her own hesitation at the name. "I am so happy to see another of the cloth. Have you seen many in your travels? May His light shine upon us all!"
Aug 10, 2023 6:06 am
"Ooh! One of those please. Uh, make that two, and a glass of wine - for my friend, of course. It wouldn't do for me to return without gifts." While the bartender pours, he asks, "Tell me what you know of this Feast we have come for. I am not familiar with the custom, but find myself quite looking forward to it."
Aug 10, 2023 3:28 pm
Bamber fake-curtseys in response to the paladin's chivalry. "The feast, yes. We're glad we're not the first ones here. Now we have new friends to teach us the secret places to make mischief, that is, to politely avail ourselves of our august hosts most blessed hospitality."

She says smoothly as if it isn't the first, or even tenth time she has placed those words in that order.

Her eyes twinkle mischievously. "Ser Bravos, what pray tell is your relationship to Dame Gold? Friends? Family?" (long pause, pregnant with implications) "Penpals?"
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.