Chapter 3: The Road to Highport

load previous
Aug 11, 2023 12:46 am
Bernaldo smiles, "I thought I could sense a kindred spirit in you, milady," he says kindly, "I find others of our order all around. You just have to be on the lookout for them."

"Mischief, as you may expect, is not my forte," he says regretfully, "Though I look forward to seeing what you come up with, so long as it's good-natured of course."

"I saved her when she was but a young lass," he replies, "Her wagon was under attack by an ogre and I happened upon it and chased the ogre away. I stop by whenever I'm in the area to check up on her. She's almost like a daughter to me."
"The Feast of Edoira is a week long celebration during the spring equinox," the bartender replies, hesitating, "I don't really know much more about it. Something about different religions cooperating I think?"
Aug 11, 2023 4:32 am
"Ah, well, a celebration of the equinox is most certainly something I can get behind. It is a most wonderful opportunity for celebrating the things that make us alive. I shall be drinking to excess my good man - please keep my tab open!" He takes the drinks and winks before rounding and returning to his friends.

"Hellllo friends!" he says as he carefully slides himself into the conversation. "New and old," he adds, with a smile at the stranger. "I guessed at the drinks, hope I didn't miss the mark." He hands the extra whisky to Bamber and the flute of wine to Esmenlara.

"Gilthalion Eruantien, my good sir. And you are...?"
OOC:
I am, personally, quite socially inept, so I apologize for how stilted and awkward my social interactions can be in-game lol
Last edited August 11, 2023 4:32 am
Aug 11, 2023 3:41 pm
"Thank you, Gilthalion," says Esmenlara, taking the wine. To save the other guest the trouble of reintroduction, she does it instead. "This is Sir Bernaldo Bravos, Paladin to Pelor the Shining One. We were discussing our esteemed host."

Returning her attention to Bernaldo, Esme says, "We were invited here, apparently by word of our work in Hommlet. Have you been there?"
Aug 11, 2023 11:26 pm
"Good ... natured ... " she sounds out the words as if they are unfamiliar and strange. She then winks at Esme as she enjoys teasing paladin's more than anyone else. Not that that makes her unique, or even the odd girl out in any room.

She smiles warmly when Gil brings her the whiskey. He knows she's partial to a perfectly peaty portion of a pint. Raising the glass to the room, she says, "To good friends newly met!" before tasting the whiskey and letting the aroma settle in her nose before properly taking a drink.
Aug 14, 2023 8:07 pm
Bernaldo's jovial demeanor slips somewhat, "Yes, I've been there," he says softly, "I was there the first time the Temple was brought down. I had heard that the new saviors of Hommlet would be here for the feast and I thought you might be them, but I didn't want to bring it up, as I'm sure the memories are not pleasant."
Aug 15, 2023 8:51 am
"I for one remember it quite fondly! Marooned on a beach, I was, at the time, with nothing but crabs, coconuts, and clams to keep me company for nearly a week. I jest, of course - Esmenlara and some of our other acquaintances gain all the credit for those heroics. She is just kind enough to allow Bamber and I to ride the proverbial coat-tails of their success. Somehow we convinced them to sign us on with their merry band of do-gooders."

He smiles and bows slightly to Esmenlara, "For which I am eternally greatful, of course."
OOC:
That is correct, right - we're not retconning that Q and I were present during the last big adventure, but came on after? I assume we've had some minor adventures thereafter, like fending off bandits and the like, to cement our presence as valued members of the team. Or are we untested recruits?
Aug 16, 2023 11:10 pm
OOC:
Correct, you're just along for the ride at this point as far as being welcomed as heroes goes. You've probably done good work around the town, so it's not like you're just randoms that Esme and Ixion picked up
The paladin chuckles, "That is mighty generous of her!" he says, "She seems a wonderful woman."
Aug 16, 2023 11:58 pm
Esmenlara gives a nervous chuckle, unused to the compliment. "Have you attended this Feast of Eidora before, Sir Bravos? This is the first we've heard of such a festival and we don't know what to expect."
Aug 17, 2023 10:46 pm
"Oh yes, several times," he says, "You may not know this, but in addition to it being a celebration of the equinox, it was originally a celebration of peace and cooperation between Rao, Pelor, Heironeous, and Mayaheine. It's named after a priest of Rao who led the negotiations that led to the Compact of Edoira many years ago."

"As for what to expect," he says, clearing his throat in embarrassment for his sudden lecture, "A lot of toasts and mingling with people who think they're better than you due to the station of their birth."
Aug 18, 2023 12:08 am
"Do the participants continue the cooperation between the religions?" Esmenlara asks, wondering if she needs to study up on the other deities.
Aug 18, 2023 1:24 am
Gil laughs, "Oh goody, it sounds like any other party of this sort, then. But you haven't answered the most pressing of hitherto unasked questions, Sir Bravos: is the food any good?"
Aug 18, 2023 2:06 am
"Being better than me by station of birth? One needn't throw a bottle far into an orphanage to find that!" She laughs, a huge fan of her own jokes.

The battle royale of the religions sounds much more her speed. The half-elf woman patently ignores the idea that this might be a polite debate.
Aug 21, 2023 6:42 pm
"I think that most of the goodly religions cooperate in times of need," he says to Esme, "Times of crisis bring us all together, but during times of peace, things can be much more tense as they all vie for disciples. It's all very petty. It's why I became a paladin instead of a priest. Dealing with the bureaucracy was so tiring when I could be out actually doing the real work."

He smiles widely at Gil, "The best you've probably ever had. Chefs are brought in by the dozens from all over the continent to bring their unique tastes to our palettes."
Aug 22, 2023 6:58 am
"See, now I'm getting hungry, with talk like that." Gil laughs, "Until then, I suppose, we get to mingle. Tell me, Sir Bravos, is there anyone in attendance you would advise we steer clear of?"
Aug 22, 2023 6:10 pm
Esmenlara finds herself eager to continue speaking to Sir Bravos, sharing in the similar calling of service to Pelor. "I admit, I was far removed from any dealings with the public or the worshipers. The priests just had me study and clean the temple, though I would be in attendance for ceremonies. Perhaps if I didn't have to leave the temple so quickly, they might have involved me in more of those politics."

She chuckles, covering her mouth politely. "Perhaps then, I might have become as tired as you, Sir Bravos. Though I don't think I have the strength to lift a sword like you can."
Aug 28, 2023 3:31 pm
Sir Bravos takes a moment to think about anyone you may want to avoid, but then shakes his head, "Dame Gold generally doesn't invite anyone I'd consider dangerous, but as a rule I'd avoid merchants and rumor-mongers. Anyone who starts to pry too much or else begins divulging the personal affairs of others aren't likely to be good friends to you."

In response to Esme, "I think you've done quite well for yourself with no need of a sword and heavy armor. Not everyone's talents lie in the path of the blade, but can be equally valuable - if not more so!"
Aug 28, 2023 4:04 pm
OOC:
I don't think I have anything else to try and discover here, so Esme is good to continue on. If others want shenanigans, I'm also up for it!
Aug 28, 2023 9:31 pm
"Oh good! If gossipmongers are the worst we'll need to contend with here, I think we'll be just fine." Gil offers a wink and a laugh. "Well, pardon me as I meander and find out what other incredibly interesting people have found their way here."
OOC:
I'm also good with closing the scene, but DM please advise if it would be worthwhile for us to get to know the NPCs here before doing so. Please feel free to direct Gilthalion towards someone of note, if needed.
Aug 29, 2023 6:47 pm
OOC:
Same with me. Bamber can move on or gossip.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.