Episode 1.0 - The Festival of Great Trade

Feb 14, 2015 1:23 am
(OOC: If you haven't read this post, ensure you read it before you reply.)

Dawn came to Svivren with a rosy glow from the hills behind the Wrils Spaceport. With it came the morning breeze that stirred the countryside to life. It looked like it would be a beautiful, early summer day—perfect for the Festival of Great Trade.

Preparations for the festival took days, weeks even. They reconfigured holoprojectors to project decorations throughout the city. Giant banners were hauled out of storage and suspended across the speedways. Cargo speeders had been appropriated and refitted as parade floats. And everyone even remotely involved in trade on the entire planet would be on holiday today.

Smugglers tended to avoid Svivren because of their draconian laws against violence and personal weapons. If a being was caught committing a violent crime they would be executed, immediately, in public for the act. If suspected only, they would probably be executed at the end of their court case. For a smuggler to do business on Svivren involved calculated risks, and low competition. But that just meant more business for the few smugglers that understood how to conduct their trade on Svivren. And for those gutsy few, the rewards were usually worth the risks.

All at once the festival began. The populace erupted from their dwellings as the holoprojectors kicked in, and festive music began to play. It was Svivren at its busiest. Just to add to the chaos, ships from nearby sectors arrived to disgorge their wares in hopes that they too might make a windfall during the festival. The marketplace practically spanned all through the capital of Wrils, but especially from the spaceport to the business district almost 3 kilometers away. Stalls lined the streets, and the crowd was so numerous it was impossible for speeders to stay on the ground. Two klicks to the north of Wrils the parade was organized and began winding its way through the streets, and the skies.
Feb 14, 2015 4:25 pm
Rexi smiled at the throngs milling about in the street, dressed in their festival finery, relaxed and enjoying the atmosphere. So many suckers, so little time he thought to himself, smile widening as he caught sight of the mark. The water-fat Twi'lek was dressed in silks and surrounded by three gorgeous young women as he made his way down the boulevard. Rexi made a mental note that none of them appeared to be armed before flipping open his comm and calling his partner. "He's on the move, Calli. I'll keep him busy, you get the stuff from his safe. If you think you can handle a simple second-story job, that is."

Without waiting for a reply, Rexi approached the fat tradesman. "Lors? Lors Tarr? Why I haven't seen you since that time on Lothal! You seem to be doing well for yourself! Here, let me buy you a drink and you can tell your old friend Rexi all about how an old tradesman like you managed to turn things around so quickly!"

((Edited to change post as))
Last edited February 15, 2015 6:43 pm
Feb 15, 2015 6:33 pm
Scowling at the comlink for hanging up on her again, Callista sighs as she clips it to her belt, next to where she normally stores her blaster. She felt more at ease here, weaponless, since it meant she wasn't going to get killed getting in or out.

She smiles to herself as she waits for the guards to complete their rounds, and sneaks in behind them, just out of sight.This better be worth it. If it's another wild gornt chase, so help me Rexi is going to pay dearly.
Feb 16, 2015 4:33 am
A man stands facing a wall of security monitors. He's just over six feet tall with dark hair and a tan complexion. He appears to be in his late thirties. His athletic silhouette is bolstered by several pieces of armor covered by a long, grey cloak draped over most of his body. The blue light from the monitors hits his face, revealing a network of scars that run across his visage. What little exposed skin there is on his body is also heavily scared with everything from burn marks to blade cuts. Motion sensors send an alert to one of the screens; someone has just walked through the main entrance. "Good, she's here." he mutters to himself as he pulls the thick hood over his face. Khan reaches behind his back and feels at the base of his neck where his brass knuckles are secured in a pocket underneath his cloak. Never know when things might get interesting. He then snaps off the armor plate on his left forearm to check that his holdout blaster is secured. After ensuring that it is sufficiently hidden, he replaces the armor. Khan then slings the stun-rifle issued by the Institute over his shoulder. The final action he takes before leaving the room is to pick up his Customs-issued lock case where he is required by Svivran law to keep his DLT-19 heavy blaster rifle for the duration of his stay on-world. It is secured with several external locks that he neither has the codes for nor the skill to disarm, but it was the only way they'd let him keep the gun with him, and there was not a snowballs chance on Mustafar that he was letting that thing out of his site. Stun-rifle over the shoulder and case in hand, he strides out of security, on his way to meet with Dr. Eliasan. He radios down to the lab as he walks, "Hey, Pepra, she's here. Time to get a move on. I want us out of here in the next twenty minutes." As the coms click off, he steps into the lobby where Eliasan is waiting. He whispers to himself, "I got a bad feeling about this."
Last edited February 16, 2015 4:35 am
Feb 20, 2015 11:44 pm
Pepra sighs as his comm comes to life. Busy scanning for "life" he thought he had found something interesting in the circuits running to the security system, but no time now to investigate.

Double checking that his own holdout blaster is hidden in his technician's jumpsuit, he stashes the scanner in his utility belt and makes his way for the rendezvous. Turning slowly back as he kills the lights to head for the lab, he can't shake the feeling that he was almost onto something.

"Oh well," he mumbles to himself, "guess it'll have to wait. The good doctor needs me for this project."

He keys the comm, "on my way - be there in two minutes..."
Feb 21, 2015 6:11 pm
[Previously]
Svivren. Why did it have to be Svivren? And why in blast would we need a spacedock? Have they no deserts, no hidden grottos? I swear by the Goddess that the so called 'Force' is out to get me.

The Turtle lowers into the spacedock of Svivren, rotating slightly on its vertical axis as the pilot pivots into a better position. Wuc'vulog, standing on the already lowered access ramp as the ship is touching down, jumps the final meter and strides confidently to the greasy Bothan waiting inside. Sliding credits to the dockmaster and sharing a joke at the Turtle's ungainly expense, Wuc'vulog secures the rent on the hangar bay with a comradely clap to the Bothans shoulder.

Wuc'vulog stands tall for a Twi'lek. His rich, green skin reflects the Svivren sun kindly. He is effectively shirtless, wearing a thin, gauze-like lace material. He sports form-fitting leggings, a utility belt, and his lekku hang over his shoulders, lightly tattooed with delicate linework.

After Callista and Rexi took off right away, to explore the local area and harass the locals no doubt, Wuc'vulog waits for Glen Rand to finish the landing sequence. He knows from past experience that Rand is thorough and cautious with the Ghtroc 720, at least in port. Wuc'vulog, leaning casually against the wall of the hangar, begins a friendly conversation of intrigue with the Bothan, trying to gather information on the other dockmasters, local bars, and other points of interest. He knows that the Bothan, if true to form, has probably gathered some useful information on many of his competitors.
Feb 23, 2015 4:01 am
While the others left the ship immediately, Rand of course stayed behind. He always stayed behind, everyone else had things to do and places to see - but Glen Rand was content with staying with his ship and dealing with getting the guns past customs. Besides, he sure as hell wasn't leaving anyone else alone with The Turtle, as far as Rand was concerned the ship was his baby and no one in the crew would make a very good babysitter. All that mattered to Rand right now was making sure his baby was safe and the guns found their way to the buyer, Lors Tarr. Rand chuckled to himself, for all he knew Rexi and Callie were already cheating him out of the money he was going to use to buy the blasters. Those two always found away to get themselves in trouble, and Rand didn't want a part of their thefts. Glen Rand may have been a smuggler, but he was an honest smuggler... For the most part.

Rand opened his own comm and sent a quick message to Rexi and Callie, "Hey guys, everything is ready here in the ship. Do what you want with Tarr, but let him know that we're ready for the rendezvous, and tell him to bring a cart with a false bottom." The plan to get the guns to Lors Tarr was actually very simple - Tarr would bring a cart to the ship under the guise of picking up goods to sell at the festival, and fill the cart up with some old broken parts of the ship that were essentially scrap. Meanwhile, they would hide the shipment of blasters in the cart's false bottom. Hopefully, the guards wouldn't be too thorough due to the sheer influx of traders from the festival.
Last edited February 28, 2015 7:58 pm
Feb 25, 2015 3:03 am
Lors Tarr paused in mid-stride to look at the whoever it was that called his name. Once he caught sight of Rexi his lekku twitched in exasperation. The women with him turned as a group toward Rexi; two recognized Rexi and frowned, and the last just looked bored.

"Rexi Chekku, you barvy scoundrel! I hoped that Lothal was the last I'd see of you. It isn't that difficult to make money when there a thief isn't emptying your pockets," an edge of anger ungirded Lors voice as he said that, "Or did you think I wouldn't notice?"

His lekku twitched several times, probably sending messages to the women.

--------------------

Tarr's offices are lush and sprawling. There are smaller offices, conference rooms, even what looks like a typical call center on the first floor. All these things are presumably to uphold his image as a legitimate Svivren business man. There are only the most basic security measures on the first floor, and all the electronics in the offices and call center are locked down by the central system they are linked to. The only interior access to the second floor is a single lift in the middle of the building. It does not appear to have a secure keypad, but there is a conspicuous-looking security camera focused upon the lift.

--------------------

Meanwhile, at the Thaali Research Institute Dr. Johtot enters by the rear entrance and proceeds directly to her lab. On the way across the building she paused briefly in the lobby just long enough that Valoris should have noticed her, if he was present. Dr. Eliasan is a tall and slender near-human. Her eyes are a dark chocolate color and her hair is dirty blonde. Despite her average appearance her smile dazzles and reinforces the confident, elegant way she carries herself. Her confidence tends a little toward arrogance.

She keyed her comlink and connected with Pepra and Valoris.

"Please meet me in the labs, I have a few tasks for you both before we can leave this morning. I know you really want to know what this is about, and I'll explain once we're in the labs." She smiled briefly to herself.

She deactivated the security lock on the lab and entered. The lights turned on automatically, but Eliasan did not activate any of her equipment. After several minutes of organizing some critical equipment while she waited for both Valoris and Pepra to join her, they both arrived.

She turned to Pepra first and handed him a datapad. "I need you to slice into spaceport security and pull a roster on all the ships currently in port. The dockmaster won't necessarily know, or flag, a ship as a possible smuggler. But depending on who the dockmaster is we probably can infer what ships might be smugglers. I want you to narrow the list to those you think are most likely smugglers and pull whatever you can on their crew roster. This datapad is brand new and not registered or traceable to the labs."

"Valoris, I want you to contact this speeder salesman," she pulled a datachip from her pocket, "and ask if the cargo speeder I reserved is ready. This is a distraction for our opponents, and I have no intent to show up to rent it. My personal speeder is parked outside the building and we'll use that instead."

"I'll explain more when its safe. I need to go to a medical conference to demonstrate my discovery. If I don't, I won't have a chance to get a large enough sponsor to bring my discovery to market. Without a powerful sponsor my discovery, and us too, will be buried by the bacta cartels."
Feb 26, 2015 11:59 pm
The Bothan Dockmaster, Lo Trey'Lya, spent a few moments telling of the local bars before he got to anything good. Unless you considered dives like The Drunken Jawa bar, Hoiinia Tep Cantina, or The Hydrospanner interesting that is.

"I heard from Madak, over in bay aurek 19, that a Lambda shuttle came in with some high ranking Imperial officers. They don't have more than a token bodyguard with them, but that's more than enough to cause trouble." His fur rippled to underscore the point, stating that they were heavily armed. "But perhaps what Zhur'seca saw is more disturbing. She saw, from a distance mind you, several Falleen exit an unmarked freighter. Might be nothing. Might be really bad."

"Lots of parties like to negotiate deals during the festival. You gentle beings may wish to keep your heads down."

His datapad chirped a notification and he nodded to Wuc'vulog. Without another word he turned and walked off toward the adjacent bay. In the distance a YT-1300 began its graceful descent to bay cresh 11, beside The Turtle.
Feb 27, 2015 5:49 am
"Thank you very much, we should be there in the next hour to pick it up. Enjoy the festival." Valoris clicks off his comlink with the speeder station and heads back over to where Dr. Eliasan is standing. "Alright, speeder's been reserved. Now then, you have some explaining to do. I can't do much to keep you on this side of the grave if you can't give me anything on what's coming for you. Alright, that's a lie, but I would still like to know because it does make it easier. Unless you'd rather have me go with the plan of 'shoot back at whatever starts shooting'." Valoris drops his joking demeanor for a moment. He eyes his locked case, and looks back at Eliasan with a look of genuine concern. "Am I gunna need it, because I'll take whatever heat it brings if it means keeping you safe."
Feb 28, 2015 1:10 am
RustInPieces says:
Lors Tarr paused in mid-stride to look at the whoever it was that called his name. Once he caught sight of Rexi his lekku twitched in exasperation. The women with him turned as a group toward Rexi; two recognized Rexi and frowned, and the last just looked bored.

"Rexi Chekku, you barvy scoundrel! I hoped that Lothal was the last I'd see of you. It isn't that difficult to make money when there a thief isn't emptying your pockets," an edge of anger ungirded Lors voice as he said that, "Or did you think I wouldn't notice?"

His lekku twitched several times, probably sending messages to the women.
Rexi places his hand to his thin chest, the absolute picture of innocence. "Thief? Me? You wound me, old friend. It pains me to hear that you encountered such a setback on Lothal but I assure you I had nothing to do with it. Perhaps your fortunes will fare better with our next delivery which, you'll be happy to learn, is ready to be off loaded even now!"

((OOC: die roll results of my deception check plus 2 difficulty and a setback are 4 successes, 1 advantage and 2 threats. Total of 4 success and 1 threat.))
Feb 28, 2015 3:41 am
Wuc'vulog triggers his comlink, signalling Glen Rand. "Imperial delegation in bay aurek 19. Let Rexi know if he checks in. Let's keep away from that vicinity." Wuc'vulog wanders to the entrance to the street and looks at the crowded passers by. Lekku twitching involuntarily in time to music playing from a nearby busker, Wuc'vulog smiles and enjoys the raucous festival crowd. Better cover for our dealings, yes, but their maybe some fun to be had as well, he thinks. Comlink again, mouth covered with by a twitching lekku: "Oh, and there are some Falleen nearby working out of an unmarked freighter. Seemed worried about them."

Munching on cheap festival food, roast gornt and fungus ale, Wuc'vulog leans against the tunnel wall, and waits.
Feb 28, 2015 7:57 pm
Qralloq says:
Wuc'vulog triggers his comlink, signalling Glen Rand. "Imperial delegation in bay aurek 19. Let Rexi know if he checks in. Let's keep away from that vicinity." Wuc'vulog wanders to the entrance to the street and looks at the crowded passers by. Lekku twitching involuntarily in time to music playing from a nearby busker, Wuc'vulog smiles and enjoys the raucous festival crowd. Better cover for our dealings, yes, but their maybe some fun to be had as well, he thinks. Comlink again, mouth covered with by a twitching lekku: "Oh, and there are some Falleen nearby working out of an unmarked freighter. Seemed worried about them."

Munching on cheap festival food, roast gornt and fungus ale, Wuc'vulog leans against the tunnel wall, and waits.
Rand answered back, "Alright, I'll be careful then. Hopefully the Imperials will leave our ship alone. I'll call you if there is any trouble. Oh, and can you bring me some of the festival food when you come back? I'm starving." Rand closed his comlink, and returned from surveying the goods to the cockpit. Peering from the cockpit, Rand looked out onto the Space Port, searching for any Imperials and the Falleen. Rand was fairly certain that neither the Imperials nor the Falleen had any business interfering with the smuggling operation, but it never hurt to be careful.
Mar 13, 2015 1:33 am
"Wonderful! I knew the shipment should arrive today, but little did I know that my old friend Rexi was involved." Lors Tarr cheered up immediately, "I didn't think you were involved on Lothal, really, but one can never be too careful. Come! Lets stop by The Hydrospanner and have some drinks. My workers can take care of transporting the goods, and you can fill me in on your adventures."

He set a heavy hand on Rexi's shoulder as he turned in the direction of The Hydrospanner. The disinterested Twi'lek woman moved to the other side of Rexi and looked subtly pleased as she draped herself on his other arm. Her grip was firm and intended to convey something a bit threatening.

"Then we can conclude our business after a game of sabacc. What do you say, old friend?" Lors Tarr smiled in genuine enjoyment. Perhaps today's deal would be highly advantageous.

Tarr commed his facility and informed someone there that the expected shipment had arrived. Moments later, three grav sleds with large, empty crates were guided from the back of his offices by several workers. They looked somewhat tough and headed in the direction of the the Turtle's docking bay.
Mar 14, 2015 4:29 pm
Rexi chuckles good naturedly, "Ah Lors, you know I'm awful at Sabacc, just let me call my ship and let them know you're coming then I'll join you for a drink and let you win some of my money." As the mildly menacing woman leads him away, he comms Rand to let him know that company is incoming.
Mar 20, 2015 1:13 am
"Wonderful! Perhaps you'll help me increase my profit margin on those guns," Tarr said with enthusiasm.

Lors and his entourage led the way to the Hydrospanner. The Hydrospanner was a medium sized cantina that primarily catered to blue collar workers. The building is clearly old, as one can tell from the patina on the structure and the wear on the 'crete. Inside, the drink selection is good and cantina has an air of being well maintained and cared for. A few of the regular patrons are in evidence, and there's a lively game of sabacc going on in one corner. Lors Tarr motions toward an empty sabacc table and everyone seats themselves, while Rexi's escort pulled a chair from an empty table to sit next to the rodian. Tarr touched a button and the table's interface flickered to life.

"I think I will go buy us a round of drinks, if you could instruct the table to deal us out."

Without awaiting an answer, Lors got up and waddled off to the bar.

--------------------

Meanwhile, three thugs with grav sleds and heavy-duty crates wove way through the crowd. It only took the 5 minutes to reach the tunnel that led toward the Turtle's docking bay. As they passed along the tunnel corridor they approached Wuc'vulog's position. The lead thug nodded to the Twi'lek as he continued down the passageway.

--------------------

While Pepra and Khan are busy Dr Eliasan collects several delicate, customized apparatuses and secures them in a carrying case. She then proceeded to open the other side of the case and loaded several vials from a nearby cryogenic storage vault. The case closed with an audible sucking sound and charge indicators lit up. The sound of a portable cooling unit emanated from the case briefly, then stopped.

Then Valoris approached and demanded answers.

"Some... extra-legal agencies are interested in my research. I have the chance to break a cartel that has a stranglehold on the galaxy, and naturally both they and any other organization would want to claim my research for their own." She paused to tuck a strand of hair behind her ear and studied Khan's eyes. "In four weeks there's a medical conference in the Tapani sector. Until I am able to publicize my findings there, my disappearance would be easy to arrange and my research could be easily buried, or exploited. You may not need your gun here, but you probably will need it before we get to the conference."

"I will have more time to explain when we are off-world."

Eliasan glanced over her shoulder to look at Pepra. Her brow furrowed a moment as she wondered why he hadn't spoken up yet. "Pepra, are you about done? Is something wrong?"
Mar 20, 2015 1:20 am
RustInPieces says:
"Wonderful! Perhaps you'll help me increase my profit margin on those guns," Tarr said with enthusiasm.

Lors and his entourage led the way to the Hydrospanner. The Hydrospanner was a medium sized cantina that primarily catered to blue collar workers. The building is clearly old, as one can tell from the patina on the structure and the wear on the 'crete. Inside, the drink selection is good and cantina has an air of being well maintained and cared for. A few of the regular patrons are in evidence, and there's a lively game of sabacc going on in one corner. Lors Tarr motions toward an empty sabacc table and everyone seats themselves, while Rexi's escort pulled a chair from an empty table to sit next to the rodian. Tarr touched a button and the table's interface flickered to life.

"I think I will go buy us a round of drinks, if you could instruct the table to deal us out."

Without awaiting an answer, Lors got up and waddled off to the bar.
Rexi programs the autodealer for a three person game and smiles warmly at his escort. "I'm afraid you have me at a disadvantage, though I'm sure your used to having men at a disadvantage, but I'm afraid I didn't catch your name earlier."
Mar 20, 2015 1:18 pm
Wuc'vulog, enjoying the festival crowd, nods back at the thug. After they pass and get down the tunnel a ways, he triggers his comlink and lets Glen know that they are inbound. "Glen, we've got a few teamsters in the hangar looking to move some freight, but I don't see our guys. Best keep things locked up, and I'll see if I can make some new friends."

"Hey there, fellas, you guys enjoying the festival?" Wuc'vulog catches up with the thugs and walks alongside them. "Or you're probably saving your enthusiasm for after your shift. I know, sometimes these local festivals are more of a hassle for upstanding businessmen like yourselves. I remember this one festival on Ryloth where a bunch of Trandoshan migrants would want to start setting these small rodents on fire. Of course, they would escape and ..." Wuc'vulog will continue with this funny story until the thugs hopefully get to the other ship in the hangar.

If they start to get violent looking, he'll back off and go back to his leaning position, but where he can keep an eye on them, too.
Mar 25, 2015 2:32 pm
Callista looks around, making sure no one is watching, and walks over to the trash can. She pulls out a crushed can of some energy drink and tosses it a few times to test the weight. This ought to do it, she thinks, looking up at the lone camera.

Getting a good angle, she throws the crushed can towards the camera, hoping to knock it away to point somewhere else.
OOC: While she's throwing the can, as a player I'm using the Force to move the camera. I would roll a Force die, but it seems that the "allow dice rolling" check box hasn't been checked. GM, if you wouldn't mind editing the OP so we can post dice rolls?

Rolls

Move the camera

2 White Force Points

Mar 25, 2015 8:42 pm
(OCC: Was waiting for us to leave before I did anything. My bad.)

Valoris heads out behind the lab's back entrance to an alley way. He throws open the door to a garage, revealing a black and red V-35 Courier.

"Better not waste any time. Let's get this thing warmed up."

Khan hops in the driver seat and kicks on the engine. With the speeder hovering off of the ground, Khan radios in to the other two in the lab.

"Hey, the engine's running. Get out here so we can get going. The sooner we get off this rock the sooner we don't have to keep looking over our shoulders."
load next

Thread locked