Chapter 0: Hole in the Sky

load previous
Aug 21, 2023 11:35 pm
Boxer safely climbs down to the cage, but he cannot see any obvious way to open the cage. Drezzta meets the man's gaze. "The only way to open it is with blood. You must insert your hand into the lock and accept the pain it brings."
OOC:
A character who places their hand in the door must make a DC 12 Fortitude save. Failure means they pass out from the pain, and fall to their death. If they make the save the pain is excruciating, but they remain conscious, then the cage door opens.
Aug 21, 2023 11:37 pm
Boxer's life had never meant anything to anyone before this day, he sticks his hand in the lock without hesitation and speaks into the lady's eyes,

"Remember me m'lady"

Rolls

Fortitude - (1d20)

(16) = 16

Aug 22, 2023 12:21 am
Honey is once again gripped with doubt and clings to the branch. She says, "Do be safe. I’ll help you back up"
Aug 22, 2023 6:49 am
Cur Maxima grimaces and staggers back as Henry and Rat land powerful blows. Unfortunately, the creature follows through with its threat, releasing and Alister and Asha off the edge of the platform! Both dwarf and halfling plummet to the bottom of the prison, the sudden impact at the bottom cutting their lives short.

At the same time, though, Boxer endures the pain, and the cage door springs open. Drezzta shrieks in ecstasy and flies out of the cage – what appeared to be her green cloak unfolds and becomes a pair of bat wings! "At last, I will have vengeance!" Drezzta shrieks as she flies at Cur Maxima.

The pumpkin creature turns to the winged woman and closes its eyes. "Yddgrrl... I have failed..." the beast sighs. Then Drezzta is on it in a flash, shrieking and tearing with jagged claws and fangs! Juicy bits of gourd splatter all across the room as Drezzta annihilates Cur Maxima within seconds! She laughs victoriously, dancing in dizzying circles.

Down below, the mighty titan finally fully rouses itself from its slumber! It lets out an earth-shaking bellow as it wearily gets to its feet. But even as Drezzta swoops down to engage it in battle, the entire prison realm begins to crumble and disappear! Holes appear in the walls, and the platform and branch you are standing on both slide out of the structure, coming to rest safely on the ground. But even the ground and sky itself are beginning to vanish, reality being replaced by blank white patches of nothingness!

In the distance, you can see the place where you entered this realm. The hole in the sky is open once more! It might be your only way out!

Rolls

Asha Escape DC 18 - (d20-2)

(6) - 2 = 4

Aug 22, 2023 3:09 pm
Hyde and Rat, strong as they are, make a human chain and reach for those who climbed down to the branch to help them quickly ascend.

"I think we screwed up sir" Rat calls to Boxer as the dwarf uses the boy as a ladder,

"The pumpkin monster called upon Ygdrrl! I think we just released a demon!"

Tears stream down the boys face as the others climb over him and once all have reached the top they begin to race back down the ladder towards the entrance.

"I don't understand Mr. Hyde!"

Hyde scowls and spares not a moment's glance at his squire,

"Quiet boy! It won't be the last time you're tricked by the gods! If this be my final lesson to you let it be that the only one you can depend on is yourself! Now shut up and run!"
Aug 22, 2023 3:47 pm
Honey hears and sees the whirlwind of commotion transpire and fears the same as Rat. They have been used as pawns in a game of gods and goddesses. She wants to scream, but feels the urgency light a fire inside. She clambers up the branch and helps others find their footing. Then she runs!
"To the Hole in the Sky!"
Aug 22, 2023 4:12 pm
Joe runs towards Henry, I thought you were a goner boy! Let’s go.

They both head for the hole in the sky
Aug 22, 2023 9:28 pm
Pyne, the only one left of his group that started this journey looks back at the scene, sheds a few tears and leaves.

Confidence Artist - Pyne, Luck 12
Halfling Chicken Butcher - Asha Luck 8
Cutpurse - Ulric Luck 12
Scribe - Bren Luck 6
Aug 22, 2023 9:30 pm
Roy, the last remaining adventure of his pack has tears in his eyes. Through sobs he chokes "We deserved better. All of us! The armorer runs towards the hole in the sky.
Aug 22, 2023 9:38 pm
As the survivors reach the bottom of the ladder, Sage shouts to the dwarf and the madmen in their wasting room,

"Flee! Flee now! The hole in the sky is open and this place will soon be gone!"
Aug 23, 2023 2:17 am
Wrong Jonny ducks from the battle with Cur Maxima and Drezzta, but when someone says run, he agrees.

Havlar and Yvon, about to take their turns climbing down, find themselves balancing as the world dissolves around them. "What madness is this? What have we freed?" They run with the others.
Aug 23, 2023 9:01 am
"Let Chaos reign!" Drezzta cackles as she battles the titan, the prison realm crumbling around the pair. The ragged survivors, including the dwarf who surrendered to you, join you in your flight as you race for the hole in the sky, leaping through the breach in reality. The last one through escapes just in time before the prison realm bursts into a shower of white light and is gone.

You find yourselves once again standing on the cliff where you first met the Lady in Blue. Your ears pop, and the air feels foreign and exotic – you once again have the sensation of having passed into an entirely different world. The dwarf and the other survivors are nowhere to be seen, but the Lady in Blue is there, waiting for you as if no time passed at all. She is exceedingly pleased at your success – she holds up her five heads to show the tears of joy that they all shed. You note that these are all different heads than she held during your last encounter.

"Congratulations on completing the quest I bequeathed to you. I could not be happier! From this moment on, we are allies. Rest assured that I will be watching over you, sending you what luck and opportunities I can from my hiding place in the dark corner of existence.

"The time is not right for me to confront our enemies directly. If I were to project my real form into this world they would instantly be aware of my presence and could marshal all their forces for an attack I am not yet prepared to answer. But have no fear – I am already working on gathering my allies, the first of which is Drezzta. How good it is to say her name aloud without fear of discovery! Soon our gathered power will be too great to resist, and then we shall strike and chase our enemies from reality itself. And on that day, my brave warrior allies, yours shall be the dominion of the World."

At this point, the Lady in Blue once again creates the breach in reality that exposes the Wheel of Destiny. The storm in that other reality has abated somewhat, but the wind is still strong enough to blow your hair back. "Now, your promised reward. One spin of the Wheel for each of you, to regain the destinies that should have been yours for your entire lives..."
[ +- ] The Wheel of Destiny
Aug 23, 2023 1:00 pm
No joy, no smiles are had by the ragged quartet who stand before the Blue Lady. They know they have been duped and it is now only fear of her power that keeps them quiet. Hyde wishes no part in the extra-dimensional wheel but Boxer and Rat step forward readily. Hyde tries to stop his young squire but the boy pulls free of his grip.

"Maybe it's better to be a king in hell than a slave in heaven sir, I want what I was promised!"

Rat spins the wheel... And disappears! Never had he come, never the squire to Hyde the mercenary, his memory vanishes from the group never to be had again.

Boxer spins and grows younger!
Last edited August 23, 2023 1:11 pm

Rolls

Rat - (1d20+2)

(2) + 2 = 4

Boxer - (1d20+2)

(16) + 2 = 18

Boxer birth auger and Strength - (1d30, 1d30, 3d6)

1d30 : (15) = 15

1d30 : (18) = 18

3d6 : (523) = 10

Aug 23, 2023 1:28 pm
Joe and Henry both look at each other.

Honestly, I don’t see the point, for better or worse this journey has changed us enough. I will let my choices change my destiny. Joe says and just sits down.

Henry still coughing for his sickness that he never recovered from, For good or bad I think we worked to hard not to risk it all now. Henry approaches and spins the wheel

Joe ponders for a second and decides that their time was wasted if not for the wheel so changes his mind and also spins it.
OOC:
Forgot to add luck modifier to Henry so that 8
Last edited August 23, 2023 2:10 pm

Rolls

Henry - (1d20)

(7) = 7

Joe - (1d20)

(17) = 17

Henry Birth augur and Luck - (1d30, 1d30)

1d30 : (10) = 10

1d30 : (30) = 30

Joe birth augur, luck, intelligence - (1d30, 1d30, 1d30, 1d30, 3d6)

1d30 : (16) = 16

1d30 : (12) = 12

1d30 : (1) = 1

1d30 : (16) = 16

3d6 : (316) = 10

Aug 23, 2023 2:34 pm
Wrong Jonny
Wromg Jonny is used to being taken advantage of, and while he said nothing expected at least a bearing for his efforts to help. He steps to the wheel and spins it.

Havlar Pestle
Havlar thinks of those lost, so many before they broke that prison, trapped and killed there. What conflict was he now committed to, what crimes or quests was he a party to? He spins. And disappears.

Yvon Kant
Yvon Kant bows to the Lady in Blue, and spins as well. He's largely gotten through life on his one, and leaving such to fate is a departure. Still, he feels the moment. With a thought to his fallen friend Aemon, he awaits the results.

Aemon Stetch
Suddenly alive, Aemon wonders if it was all Dla dream as to l he takes his them at the wheel. He, too, disappears.
Last edited August 23, 2023 3:39 pm

Rolls

WJ roll (ate indiscriminately at the feast) - (1d20-1+1)

(15) = 15

HP roll - (1d20-2)

(6) - 2 = 4

YK roll - (1d20+2)

(15) + 2 = 17

AS roll, -1 for resurrection - (1d20-3)

(7) - 3 = 4

Aug 23, 2023 3:26 pm
Sage sees Boxer grow younger by spinning and decides she will risk it after all...
OOC:
Loom: skill checks :/
Last edited August 23, 2023 3:28 pm

Rolls

Sage - (1d20-2)

(11) - 2 = 9

Birth auger - (1d30)

(10) = 10

Aug 23, 2023 3:54 pm
Honey had dipped to the edge of desperation and was willing to give it all up anyway. She takes a couple of deep breaths and steps into the void.
OOC:
New birth augur: Raised by wolves, +1 to unarmed attacks. Honey ages by 6 years and her hair becomes brindled like a wolve’s. She also grows wisps of hair from the tips of her ears that she swears helps her hear.
Gone are the naive, self-concerned ways of her youth, Honey is now a name steeped in irony. She steps back from the void a changed woman, steely and fierce. Her fingernails are sharp as here eyes. She draws a deep breath through her nose as of cataloging the smells in the area.
Last edited August 23, 2023 4:10 pm

Rolls

Wheel of Fate - (1d20)

(14) = 14

Lucky sign - (1d30)

(4) = 4

Aging - (1d12)

(6) = 6

Aug 23, 2023 5:10 pm
Roy stands up straight and statesI have come too far to back down now. Let us see what the Wheel spins for me.
OOC:
If I understand the rules correctly....
Kip the Dwarven herder is resurrected. "How did I get Roy's helmet and hammer? Where is my sow Minnie??"Given the choice, she spins the Wheel.
OOC:
I got the seventh son: Spell checks
OOC:
Kip ages 2 years
Last edited August 23, 2023 5:37 pm

Rolls

Wheel Spin 1d20 + 1 - (1d20+1)

(3) + 1 = 4

Luck roll + 0 (-1 for stat and + 1 for eating spoiled food) - (1d20)

(14) = 14

Birth Auger - (1d30)

(13) = 13

aging 1d12 - (1d12)

(2) = 2

Aug 23, 2023 10:38 pm
"Let's see what new destiny I am granted."

Rolls

Fate Roll - (1d20)

(15) = 15

Auger - (1d30)

(18) = 18

Luck - (1d30)

(18) = 18

Aug 24, 2023 8:49 am
Once everybody who desires to spin the Wheel of Destiny has done so, the Lady in Blue gestures, and the rift and reality seals shut once more. "The errors have been corrected. Your proper fates have been restored to you. Now, go forth and make of your lives what you will. I will be watching..." And with that, the Lady vanishes.

It has been a harrowing journey, to say the least, but those of you who have survived it can now look forward to a new life of adventure that lies ahead!
OOC:
End of chapter!
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.