Hello, Looking for Simple Systems

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Aug 26, 2023 1:31 pm
Hello all,

This is my first foray into the world of pbp, but I've been playing DND/Pathfinder in a casual group for over a decade. I want to familiarize myself with the format, and one day maybe even lead my own game (always wanted to).

I'm hoping to get started by learning some simpler systems that rely less on rolling, (I listen to a few actual play podcasts using PbtA systems and that sort of thing seems ideal), but overall I want to have some fun and be involved in some cool stories.
Aug 26, 2023 2:17 pm
Welcome, CurtFactor!

If you want to see how GP functions, here are links to the New GP Member Guide, the forum rules, this video introduction made by user Qralloq and a little helpful formatting guide made by user Adam. You might also be interested in looking through some public games as well to get a feel for the site.
If you have any questions about how to use the site, you can put them into our Questions and Help subforum.

To join a game, keep your eyes on the Games Tavern, where GMs advertise their games and look for players.

You're also invited to join us on the Discord server for some friendly conversation, about the site, RPGs in general or anything else!

If you have any concerns or questions, feel free to contact any of the following moderators:

bowlofspinach
CancerMan
Dramasailor
Naatkinson
Qralloq
Keleth (site owner)

Happy gaming!
Aug 26, 2023 2:21 pm
Welcome to GP, CurtFactor!
Aug 26, 2023 2:37 pm
Welcome, Curt Factor.
I'd recommend World of Dungeons as good starting point.
Aug 26, 2023 4:57 pm
Welcome to gamersplane.com!
[ +- ] Tiny Invitation
Aug 26, 2023 6:41 pm
Welcome, CurtFactor. There are loads of simple systems. I recently have been exploring Risus, which is extremely lightweight. Too lightweight? Maybe.

Hope you find some great games to try!
Aug 26, 2023 11:00 pm
@curtfactor

You can read this lightweight, robust, and beautiful fantasy system in under an hour. Thank me later.
Aug 27, 2023 12:23 am
Welcome.

While I agree that World of Dungeons is a good system, I am not convinced it is a good place to start. As with all 'rules lite' or '1 page' games it is missing a lot of explanation as to why things work, let alone how they work. It might serve you better to start by reading a more fleshed out PbtA game that actually includes a bit of guidance. The Dungeon World SRD might not be a bad place to start for free if you want 'fantasy similar to DND/Pathfinder'. Many say the Dungeon World Guide (available from the DW download page helps with the transitions from traditional DnD to PbtA).

You are welcome to pop into my World of Dungeons game specifically for new players if you want to see how it works. (details)
Aug 27, 2023 12:48 am
Welcome Aboard!
Last edited August 27, 2023 12:48 am
Aug 27, 2023 4:39 am
Welcome to the community, CurtFactor! Say the word if you want some recommendations -- there are loads of simple systems, many with less rolling than you might be used to, out there...
Aug 27, 2023 2:39 pm
Thanks for the warm welcome! I've checked out some of the recommended systems (they all seem very promising), and am pretty excited to try some stuff out and see where it goes from there.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.