Chapter 1: The One Who Watches From Below

load previous
Aug 30, 2023 6:05 am
What delusion would bring a man to be sleeping in this cave?
Aug 30, 2023 6:39 am
Darkstar8 says:
Sister Honey is compulsively drawn to the altar, the obelisk, and the flower bulbs. She examines them to see if she recognizes whether these flowers made incense or poison.
Sniffing the flower bulbs gives Honey an intoxicating head rush. It would seem that they are some sort of hallucinogenic.
Braxwen says:
"We are explorers of dread reputation and uncanny skill," Baxwen says to the old man. "Who are you?"
"I’m the caretaker around these parts," the old man replies, smoothing out his bushy gray beard. "Are you truth seekers?"
Aug 30, 2023 2:31 pm
Quote:
"I’m the caretaker around these parts," the old man replies, smoothing out his bushy gray beard. "Are you truth seekers?"
Braxwen nods as if he agrees and understands.

"Aren't all, in various ways, seekers of truth?" he says. "What is it that you take care of around these parts?"
Aug 30, 2023 2:45 pm
"Well," the old man says with a sigh," "you see... this is the Cave of Secrets. You ask a question, and then you place the tithe on the plate there, you see? Then you burn one of these here bulbs and lay in those rocks over there. Your answer will come in dreams." He pauses and squints at you again. "Are you supposed to be here?"
Aug 30, 2023 3:41 pm
Where the dead elf is? Wonder what her secret was? Henry chuckles
Aug 30, 2023 8:44 pm
Pyne, still getting used to this whole new role in life kept himself quiet most of the time, the others had seemed to be taking on their new lives well.

He stands near the back of the group at this point.
Aug 31, 2023 5:04 am
Hyde searches the Northern alcove thoroughly for any creepers or hidden loot before returning to the group...
Aug 31, 2023 9:24 am
Hyde enters the smaller northern chamber, cut with the same niches. A mouse darts across the floor and disappears into a crack in the wall. It seemed to have a glistening hump on its back, but it moved too quickly for him to be sure. A stout figure is curled in a niche at the far end of the room.

Investigating the figure reveals it to be a sleeping dwarf, clothed in simple padding of the sort worn under plate armor. The dwarf is undoubtedly a pious man as he wears the symbol of Klazath, god of war, around his neck. However, a closer look reveals the dwarf's eyes are missing! Smooth flesh covers the place where eye sockets should be. The body is warm to the touch and very much alive, but in an unresponsive coma state...
Aug 31, 2023 1:59 pm
I enter the room with with Hyde and investigate to see what else I can find. I take care not to touch anything. Sniffing for gold and gems every few seconds.
Last edited August 31, 2023 2:00 pm
Aug 31, 2023 2:20 pm
Aghast at the eyeless dwarf, Hyde follows the trail of the mutated mouse to the crack in the wall it disappeared into to check for anything the vermin may have taken to it's burrow. Mice and rats were notorious thieves and with all the comatose bodies in this place he might just find a payload...
Aug 31, 2023 2:33 pm
Hyde doesn’t see anything wedged into the small crack in the wall. There’s no sign of the mouse, either. Kip smells coins on the dwarf, recovering 5 copper pieces and a small hand mirror from his pockets. Her nose also leads her to the dead elf, who has 7 silver pieces in her possession.
Aug 31, 2023 3:53 pm
Hyde meanders back over towards the group and heads for the stairs. He climbs up to the metal gate and looks it over, pushing on it with the tip of his sword...
Aug 31, 2023 3:54 pm
Kip returns to the group and scans the room for danger.
Aug 31, 2023 5:14 pm
Kip doesn’t see anything immediately dangerous. As Hyde starts walking to the gate, though, the old man gets to his feet, leaning heavily on a staff, and moves to block the mercenary’s progress. "Wait! That area is off limits. You... you don’t belong here! Leave this place at once!"
Aug 31, 2023 5:56 pm
Hyde puts up his hands in surrender to the old man and speaks with an exhausted tone.

"Alright caretaker, I meant no harm. I put my alms in the bowl as I'm sure is intended, how about you just settle down and let us worship in peace eh?"

Hyde turns away from the old man and the stair and heads back to the ledge instead. He removes the coil of rope from his pack and calls to the dwarf.

"Hey Kip, hold a rope for me will ya? I want to see why these templars are tossing bodies over the edge."

With a wink and a whisper to the dwarf he adds,

"And to see if the missed any gold when they rolled them!"
Aug 31, 2023 6:07 pm
"I said leave!" the man shouts as Hyde turns away from him. He raps him on the back of the head with his staff!
OOC:
1 damage to Hyde!
Aug 31, 2023 6:17 pm
OOC:
No attack roll? Is this old man so fast he can get the drop on a warrior without trying?
Aug 31, 2023 6:32 pm
OOC:
Lol, the book just says he deals 1 damage. I'll make an attack though.
RETCON:

The old man swings his staff, narrowly missing Hyde's head!

Rolls

Staff - (d20+1)

(13) + 1 = 14

Sep 1, 2023 12:07 am
OOC:
Much appreciated ;)
"Hey now old fella! No need to do anything foolish, I take no pleasure in bleeding an old man!"

Hyde levels his sword at the crazy old coot and readies his shield, backing away from the uppity geriatric but ready to strike should he persist...
Sep 1, 2023 2:42 am
Let's see how this plays out before spelunking Kip jokes.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.