Chapter 1: The One Who Watches From Below

load previous
Sep 1, 2023 2:49 am
OOC:
Is this the old man talking to Henry and the others or is this the sleeping dwarf with no eyes?
Sep 1, 2023 4:14 am
Seeing the eyeless dwarf’s holy symbol and recognizing it as belonging to the lawful god of war, Sister Honey is stirred to attempt a furious act. She pulls out her garrote and swiftly wraps it around the thick neck of the sleeping rival cleric.
OOC:
What shall I roll to behead this poor sap?
Sep 1, 2023 7:33 am
OOC:
It's the same old man that was talking to Henry. No roll needed to behead the dwarf!
Honey brutally beheads the eyeless dwarf. Blood spurts from the raw stump of his neck as his head rolls onto the floor of the cave!

Meanwhile, the old man grips his staff with shaking hands. "Turn back! This will be your final warning!" he intones, then he suddenly transforms into a black smoking shadow! The shadow flows into the obelisk in the center of the room before disappearing!
Sep 1, 2023 11:41 am
That was unexpected. Henry says watching the shadow figure
Last edited September 1, 2023 11:41 am
Sep 1, 2023 2:15 pm
"Off to a weird start guys, let's hope that doesn't come back to haunt us anytime soon."

Hyde pokes the obelisk with his sword cautiously before going back to his rope plan.

"Took too long to get here to turn back, Kip you ready to do this?"
Sep 1, 2023 2:23 pm
"The Lady in Blue watches over us and we will bring the realm of chaos to bear on any who stand in falseness!"
Honey lifts the dwarf’s head and hold it out in front of her as if it was giving that proclamation. Then she tosses it onto the altar.
"Let’s go deeper in, lads!"
OOC:
She knows Kip is a lady, but doesn’t care.
Sep 1, 2023 2:47 pm
Hyde let's out a low whistle and shakes his head as he ties himself off to the rope,

"That demon really did a number on you, glad you're on our side girl."
Sep 1, 2023 2:47 pm
Hyde is able to use the rope to easily descend to the bottom of the pit. Most of the remains here have been reduced to pristine skeletons. Oddly, the skulls have only smooth bone where the eye sockets should be. A fresh corpse writhes with earthworms stripping away the meat from the bones.

There only seems to be one thing of value among the bones: a battleaxe with the word "Ultimak" inscribed on the handle in dwarven.

On the far wall of the pit are two sconces, each one holding an extinguished torch.
Sep 1, 2023 3:37 pm
Does the inscription look magical or just engraved? I can read it is it is magic.
Sep 1, 2023 4:49 pm
The chaos cleric sneers at Hyde.
"on your side!? There are no sides, you poor lost soul."
Sep 1, 2023 4:58 pm
The inscription is engraved but doesn't appear to be magical.
Sep 1, 2023 6:07 pm
"And yet here we are together, sheesh, clerics. Learn to take a compliment!"

Hyde rolls his eyes and laughs. He examines the axe with the strange word and calls up to the curious mage.

"Not a word I know, a name perhaps? Feel free to give it the once over when I get back up."

Hyde wades through the bones and lights the two torches on the wall with his own torch and then thoroughly examines the area.
OOC:
That's crazy! It really says Ultimak?? Darkstar8 and I are at a gaming convention this weekend with the Rev. Dak Ultimak!

Edit: lmfao! After a quick Google it turns out Dak edited this module! I'll have to tell him I'm playing it lol.
Last edited September 1, 2023 6:09 pm
Sep 1, 2023 6:12 pm
Kip reads the inscription and jogs her memory to identify the weapon.
Sep 1, 2023 6:37 pm
Kip recognizes Ultimak is a name, but who the axe might have belonged to is a mystery.
OOC:
In character, at least! Lol.
When Hyde lights the torches, the boulder between them slides to the side with a grinding sound to reveal a small opening! Human-sized creatures need to crawl to get through the passage, but the rocky tunnel behind it is roomy. A lever opens and closes the secret door from the other side.

About 15 feet down the tunnel, stairs lead up to the north. The tunnel continues past the stairs to the southeast.
Sep 1, 2023 8:16 pm
Pyne stands at the back of the group and readies his bow and arrow in case something comes at them from the end they are walking down.

"That's a good looking axe, too heavy for this guy." He said, just throwing it out there that he had no need or want for the weapon.
Sep 2, 2023 6:18 am
Hyde leads the way down the tunnel and up the stairs, through the tunnel to the southeast...

"Not really an axe man myself, maybe if it turns out to be ensorcelled though."
Sep 2, 2023 2:44 pm
"Ensorcelled you say?"
Sister Honey queried as she climbed down to join the rest.
"Hand it to me. I’ll ask the Lady of Destiny."
OOC:
spell results: The cleric is aware of magical enchantment on any object or creature within range. The range is a cone, 30’ long and 30’ wide at its end, emanating from the cleric’s holy symbol. This includes weapons or armor worn by a creature, as well as spells. The cleric cannot distinguish which portions of the targets
are magical. For example, a creature enchanted by a spell or carrying a magical weapon or item registers simply as "magical," so the true extent and nature of the magic is not always evident. The cleric does not receive any information on the nature of the magical enchantment, only its existence. Objects behind 3’ of wood, 1" of solid metal, or 1’ of stone are not detected
Last edited September 2, 2023 2:48 pm

Rolls

Detect Magic - (1d20+2)

(12) + 2 = 14

Sep 2, 2023 3:17 pm
Honey's spell does not detect anything magical in the area.
Sep 3, 2023 2:04 pm
OOC:
Sorry for spacing. Rough few days.
Baxwen has kept his distance, watching and listening without comment. He follows along with the group as best as he is able.
Sep 4, 2023 1:36 pm
Kip wracks her mediocre brain to find any information on who or what Ultimak is.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.