Chapter 1: The One Who Watches From Below

load previous
Sep 6, 2023 3:57 pm
Aldar will take a dagger in addition to a bow and some arrows. He looks around to see if there is a quiver to hold them in. Then he picks up one of the silver arrows and looks to Hyde and the others. "One each, perhaps?" he says. "Never know when you will face something susceptible to silver."
Last edited September 6, 2023 4:09 pm
Sep 6, 2023 3:59 pm
Kip LOVES shiny armor and happy grabs the reflective shield. "I agree that this may not be to most practical shield, but I'm going to charge into battle with style! She declares with a wink.
Sep 6, 2023 5:01 pm
Hyde waves away the offer of the silvered arrows,

"All yours, I only want the bow to sell. Then again..."

Hyde picks up a quiver of arrows,

"Better safe than sorry."
Sep 6, 2023 5:39 pm
"To the north door then? It’s safe to assume we will not be surprising anyone in here."
Sister Honey glances directly at one set of eyes as she says this then begins moving toward the north door.
Sep 6, 2023 5:40 pm
Once you have looted all that you desire, you head through the door. A short flight of stairs lead down before they open into a great hall, the high ceiling held in place by two massive opalescent columns. Triangles of green light reflect off three gems set in a large stone skull that watches silently from a dais at the east end of the room. Another flight of stairs leads up to a small door to the north, while a grand set of doors looms over the west end of the hall. Tapestries on the north and south wall depict enormous eyeballs on a background of crawling worms.

https://i.imgur.com/0XAMH8y.jpg
Sep 6, 2023 6:19 pm
Kip sniffs out the room for gold and gems.
Sep 6, 2023 6:22 pm
"Be weary, I'm sure those eyes were a wizard's spell, likely to see who is stealing from him."

Hyde walks the perimeter of the room, poking the tapestries with his sword as he goes to check for cloaked passages or worse... cloaked guards.
Sep 6, 2023 6:35 pm
Dmbrainiac sent a note to DaBardsItch
Hyde doesn’t discover anything behind the tapestries. There are neither hidden doors nor hidden guards.
Sep 6, 2023 8:10 pm
The chaos cleric looks behind her to make sure the whole party has caught up. Not so much from care as from a sense of her own safety in numbers. She sees the size of the emeralds studding the huge skull and plans on leaving with them. They alone would be enough to finance the building of a fine temple. On the way out she says to herself.
Last edited September 6, 2023 8:10 pm
Sep 7, 2023 12:04 am
Aldar takes in all the eye-related art. "I'm sensing a motif here. Anyone know of any eye-based cults?"
Sep 7, 2023 12:32 am
"Feels like I've seen eyes on the banners of half a dozen cultists since we moved to Punjar. Can't walk through that disgusting Bazaar of the Gods without a score of eyes following you around."

Hyde ends his patrol at the huge demon skull with the three, obviously trapped, jewels.

"You know as soon as we pry those beauties out that thing will come to life and kill us, right?"
Sep 7, 2023 10:51 pm
Hyde turns away from the demon skull and walks towards the double doors on the west wall. He opens them, and shines the light of his torch through the opening to see the room beyond...
Sep 8, 2023 12:47 am
"Eye-based cults? How many gods are not known for peeping on mortals?"

Baxwen move over to the large skull.

"Ugly," he comments. Hearing doors open, he sees Hyde shining his torch into a new chamber. The halfling moves a bit, just in case it becomes necessary to take cover behind the large skull.
Sep 8, 2023 5:00 am
Honey also moves quickly behind Baxwen, then realizing that his short stature gives very little cover, she drops to one knee and readies her crossbow.
Sep 8, 2023 6:47 am
As soon as Hyde starts to open the double doors, the two "columns" in the center of the room spring to life! It turns out they are actually giant eyestalks! They begin to sway as they prepare to smash and roll over you all!
OOC:
@dominion451,@Darkstar8 may act first! One eyestalk is 20 feet behind Hyde. The other eyestalk is 20 feet away from the skull where the rest of the party is located. There is 30 feet of space in between them. The eyestalks are large enough to have 25-foot reach!

If Hyde wants to continue opening the heavy doors, it will take an action due to their size and weight.

Rolls

Initiative (PCs, Enemies) - (d20-1, d20+1, d20, d20+2, d20, d20+2, d20-2)

d20-1 : (4) - 1 = 3

d20+1 : (5) + 1 = 6

d20 : (16) = 16

d20+2 : (10) + 2 = 12

d20 : (1) = 1

d20+2 : (1) + 2 = 3

d20-2 : (10) - 2 = 8

Sep 8, 2023 7:02 am
Having nocked a bolt in her crossbow, Sister Honey aims at the eye on the column nearest her and fires.

Then she hides behind the skull.

Rolls

Crossbow - Roll - (1d20)

(11) = 11

Dmg if hits - (1d6)

(3) = 3

Sep 8, 2023 2:36 pm
"I knew SOMETHING would try to kill us in here! Flee you fools!"

Hyde continues pushing the doors open...
Sep 8, 2023 2:39 pm
The heavy double doors squeal open on halting hinges to reveal an arched hallway. Five-foot-square red and black flagstones create a checkerboard pattern on the floor. Another set of stout doors stands closed at the far end of the passage, 25 feet away.
OOC:
@dominion451 you still have your move available for this round!
Sep 8, 2023 3:58 pm
"Gods, it just gets better! I've seen this game, it's either jump chips or kings and queens!"

Hyde steps onto what would be the kings position on his side of the chess board...
Sep 8, 2023 4:15 pm
OOC:
Note that the hall is only 10 feet wide, so not big enough to be a full ches board.
Hyde steps cautiously onto the first square. Nothing happens, but it does put him out of reach of the flailing eyestalks.

Honey's crossbow bolt skips harmlessly off the tough hide of the eyestalk nearest the huge skull. As the cleric takes cover, the eyestalk swings itself at Kip, badly battering the dwarf! The other one flails about, unable to reach anybody this time.
OOC:
7 damage to Kip. Everybody may act! It will take a total of 75 feet of movement to fully cross the room to the hall where Hyde is standing. Alternatively, you could retreat back up to the armory with 40 feet of movement.

Rolls

Bash - (d20+3)

(15) + 3 = 18

Damage - (d8)

(7) = 7

load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.