Descent into the Underdark

load previous
Apr 19, 2024 5:42 pm
"Persistent bastards! By my ancestors i will not fall to such foul creatures"
Brewner takes a big breath and aims his wrath to the nearest centipede.

Rolls

Focus+ Attack - (3d6)

(314) = 8

Apr 19, 2024 9:09 pm
OOC:
The focus worked! Another one down. Only four left now.
Apr 20, 2024 11:14 am
Oliver decides to squish the centipede who just stung him in the armor, directly swinging the bat. "Blasted thing! That left a dent!"
OOC:
Action 1: swing bat with berserker
Action 2: swing bat with berserker
Potential action: if my first attack is a hit and kills the centipede, my second action is instead a fiery rock hurled at another centipede.
OOC:
Post-roll: that's... an unusual result
Last edited April 20, 2024 11:15 am

Rolls

Bat Swing 1 - berserker - (1d6)

(5) = 5

Bat Swing 2 - berserker - (1d6)

(5) = 5

Potential action: fiery rock - (2d6)

(55) = 10

Apr 20, 2024 4:14 pm
OOC:
Only two and a half left now. Unfortunately, they are still angry and attacking!
The damaged one moves and attacks Oliver.

The other two attack Ander and Brewner, respectively.

Well, that's two successful hits against Brewner, and none against anyone else.

The silver lining is that it is just one save needed from Brewner, not two.

Rolls

Attack Against Oliver DC:5 - Basic - (2d6)

(44) = 8

Attack Against Brewner DC:5 - Basic - (2d6)

(46) = 10

Attack Against Brewner DC:5 - Basic - (2d6)

(65) = 11

Attack Against Ander DC:5 - Basic - (2d6)

(34) = 7

Attack Against Ander DC:5 - Basic - (2d6)

(44) = 8

Apr 22, 2024 6:04 am
Brewner endures the pain with gritted teeth, his fighting spirit only rising with the adversity
OOC:
After the successful poison test
Brewner swings his Warhammer with all his might
Last edited April 22, 2024 6:07 am

Rolls

Poison test with Resolute trait - (3d6)

(534) = 12

Focus+ Attack - (3d6)

(165) = 12

Apr 22, 2024 11:17 am
Grin is still down the tunnel a bit, waving a torch in the air and calling his friends: "to me, friends, to me! They don’t like fire, so bring torches to bear and avoid their poisonous bites! You are standing in their nest, so they will fight you to the death!"

As one accustomed to cave-life, Grinfletch has come to care for most creatures, even the hungry and the hostile. After all, this is their home and they are not attacking us out of malice. They’re just following their instinct.
Last edited April 22, 2024 11:19 am
Apr 22, 2024 11:51 am
daryen says:
[ooc]Brewner's weapon is a heavy weapon, so he only gets one attack. I can't see his character sheet, so I am not sure what state he is in the Rookie/Novice/Veteran progression. But he should have three Traits (not including his human bonus Trait, so four total), plus Weapon Mastery.
Can you see my character sheet now?
Apr 22, 2024 1:20 pm
OOC:
@Ricardoi91, answers in your character thread.

Only one damaged and one undamaged centipede left.
Apr 22, 2024 8:57 pm
Oliver swings his bat directly at the centipede next to him, forming very imprecise arcs. "Excellent work!"
OOC:
In case the first hit lands and the centipede dies, Oliver swings a fiery rock at the other centipede instead of the second direct bat swing.

Rolls

Bat swing 1 - berserk - (1d6)

(5) = 5

Bat swing 2 - berserk - (1d6)

(2) = 2

(Optional) Fiery rock - (2d6)

(64) = 10

Apr 23, 2024 2:43 am
A bit confused by the dissonance in the group, but seeing that they still need to cross through the nest, and there is only one left that is still going to attack him in particular, takes two mighty swings!

Rolls

Mighty Swing 1 DC:5 - Basic - (2d6)

(25) = 7

Mighty Swing 2 DC:5 - Basic - (2d6)

(32) = 5

Apr 23, 2024 2:44 am
OOC:
ok, that finishes them off. Oliver finished off his, then damaged Ander's (which was the only one left). Ander finished it off. They are all defeated now.
As they sift through the nest, they find some goblin remains. In the remains the find several coppers, a few silver, and a partial map.

The total is 186 copper coins and 12 silver coins. The map, when compared to Brewner's map, seems to show some caverns in the system you are in, past the cavern that leads to the pink slime and "your" cavern system. It appears to show the entrance to another area, but just of what isn't immediately clear.
Apr 23, 2024 2:52 am
Grin makes one final attempt to convince his friends to get out of the giant centipede nest: Leave that last one! Get out of the nest and careful not to trample any eggs! He throws his torch into the space between him and the nest to give his party members something to get behind that the centipede won’t like. He then tries to throw a piece of food further, either at the centipede or near it.
OOC:
cool, so, Grin is deeper in the tunnel (30ft from the nest), and has thrown a torch to sit in the area between him and the nest, about 15ft from each. He threw a chunk of meat jerky into the nest.
Last edited April 23, 2024 2:55 am

Rolls

Throw torch to ground - (2d6)

(56) = 11

Throw food to centipede - (2d6)

(36) = 9

Apr 23, 2024 3:02 am
OOC:
Sorry, man, I just realized thatOliver's alternative attack meant the last one go finished off.

If it is any consolation, there are no eggs.
Apr 23, 2024 3:07 am
OOC:
you’re good. I’m not bothered by it. Grin is a bit upset. Unless… how many giant centipedes can one health pot bring back?

Also, if there are eggs, then there’s a chance more will survive since they don’t need warmth or parents to help them. They just need a corpse to eat when they hatch.
Last edited April 23, 2024 3:11 am
Apr 23, 2024 6:19 pm
OOC:
Well, Grin can see that the goblin remains are still relatively fresh, so this nest was probably fairly recently set up. They hadn't started breeding yet, so no eggs. However, that means there is still a robust nest or nests not too far distant, as they had to have come from somewhere. Considering that the goblins likely try to keep this section of the caverns relatively clear, this probably isn't the last time this location will be used as a nest by more centipedes (or something). Sucks for this iteration of the nest, but the ecosystem is healthy and consistently dangerous ...
After gathering the paltry loot, the party moves on and arrives at the cavern that leads to the pink slime. They hear some non-descript noises a distance away, but can't tell exactly where it is coming from. Rather than wait to see what it is and risk the crystal, they hurry into the long passage and eventually find themselves at the edge of the pink slime.

Not willing to waste too much time finding and moving the mimic body around to serve as a walkway, they just hug the perimeter of the cavern to get through the slime. Once through, they take the time to scrape things down to preserve their equipment and shoes. Once on the side of the cavern Oliver gets the group to indulge some experiments with the crystal and slime to see if there is any reaction. It takes some patience and very careful observation, but the slime does move very slowly and nearly imperceptibly move towards the crystal. He thinks they could hang it from the ceiling and it would eventually reach up to it. However, he shudders to think what could result if left with the slime for too long, though it would probably take a very long time to have any relevant effect.

They finally then make it back to the underground camp. When they arrive, they see there is more of a force present, with at least a half-dozen guards on duty, and another dozen workers setting up what will eventually be some perimeter defenses.
OOC:
And I am going to leave it here for a moment. If you want to do anything else on the way back to camp, let me know. Just remember that if you dilly-dally before getting to the pink slime, you could get another encounter of some kind. Also, please feel to have some discussion on what you want to do next. As a reminder, you have a few things:
1) What are you going to do with the crystal this time?
2) Do you go try to find that goblin tribe bothering Ishzu's friend?
3) Do you want to tackle that gelatinous creature you were told about?
4) Go deeper into the next level down?
5) Something else?
Apr 23, 2024 6:28 pm
OOC:
gotcha, Grin feels better about the dangerous cave creature ecosystem. Thanks for indulging me.

I’m good to go with the group wherever. I think Grin just wants to find shiny trinkets, Oliver wants cool alchemical options and Ishzu wants to find the other goblins? What about Brewner? I kind of feel a bit tired with this particular base camp and wouldn’t mind moving on to something further out - wasn’t there an unexplored underground sea among other things?
Apr 23, 2024 6:41 pm
OOC:
That's option #4.

Option #2 takes you back into that other cavern system you just passed through, and lets you use the little map fragment you found. This pulls on pre-existing story threads that have been laying around for a while now.

Option #4 takes you down to the "next level deeper" of the underdark. That's where someone reported seeing a huge underground lake with friendly undead sailors. Or something. You'll have to see how accurate that report really was ... This basically heads in a totally new direction with little known or established.
Apr 24, 2024 7:14 am
OOC:
I also like the idea of shaking things up a bit in a new area (#4), and possibly use a base camp that we need to improvise along the way instead of a comfortable and well-established base camp.

I'm also up for a little ingame downtime between excursions. Buy some gear, craft some thingies (Oliver would probably concoct something), and luckily level up. Oh, and roleplay what to do with the crystal!
Apr 24, 2024 9:09 am
OOC:
Brewner is currently at 3 Hp, some downtime will be appreciated. We probably should decide what to do with the crystal before exploring further
Apr 24, 2024 11:05 am
OOC:
I thought the plan was to head back to camp with the crystal. Then try and find a craftsmen to break it apart into useful tools/weapons.

I can heal peoples up. Do you want rolls for that?
load next

Thread locked