Against the Cult: the next direction (1.4)

Nov 21, 2023 1:16 am
Here's a summary of what has happened already.

Cecily Raptor, famed elven hero, has retired from adventuring after saving villages and defeating villains for hundreds of years. Now she runs the adventurers' guild, "Dungeon Busters!" Cecily has sent a number of novice adventurer employees - Aanbo the monk, Klak the paladin, Morgran the cleric, Ogbar the barbarian, Quest the mystic, Sara the ranger, Thacogygax the sorcerer, Xana the warlock - to the town of Hochoch (which she was instrumental in rescuing more than a century ago) to explore the possibility of opening a franchise office of Dungeon Busters there. The adventurers are to a) determine if there's a need for adventurers in the area, b) demonstrate the heroism of the Dungeon Busters organization, and, if successful, c) set up a branch of Dungeon Busters in Hochoch.

The party arrived in Hochoch and found that adventurers are very much part of the local culture here; nearly every family had an adventurer as an ancestor, and many local landmarks were named by/for adventurers. Everything seemed peaceful in Hochoch, though the party kept hearing reports of strange things happening in the nearby town of Orlane. Then a mortally-wounded miller rode into town, telling how his assistant brought some strangers to the mill and then attacked him. Joined by Durren, a human warrior who'd been raised by elves and wanted to sign up for Dungeon Busters, the party went to the mill and defeated a bunch of bandits who had kidnapped the assistant's wife and occupied the mill, holding it for the infamous bandit known only as "Black." They wondered why a bandit would want a mill as a base of operations and couldn't think of any good reasons without knowing more.

Hearing that Black's bandits often waylaid travelers on Cecily's Road between Hochoch and Orlane, the party decided to set a trap for Black, masquerading as wealthy merchants in an ox-drawn wagon traveling through the Dim Forest to Orlane. But on the way, they ran into Abel Jarl, a forest crofter whose son, Devek, had fallen into a death-like sleep. Aanbo, Quest, and Morgren went with Abel to examine the comatose boy, and discovered from one of Devek's sisters that he'd ventured into an old ruined temple and poked himself with something which sent him into a magical sleep. While they were at the farmhouse, the others waited in the road. There they met a traveling minstrel, Jonbon, on the road from Orlane. As they talked, they heard a large animal in the woods. Xana made the sound of a dragon's roar, hoping to scare away the predator, but instead it goaded the monster into defending its territory. The predator, an owlbear, leaped out of the trees, smashed Jonbon's wagon, and killed his mules with one pounce, then knocked Klak down with a swipe of its paw. The oxen panicked, broke their traces, and ran. The monster completely ignored the party's attacks, clearly looking to challenge the dragon. It left only when Xana tricked it with the sound of the dragon flying away. They healed Klak, and the party went with Jonbon to the farmhouse. Jonbon played soothing music, and Abel agreed to leave with the Dungeon Busters to take Devek back to the temple in Hochoch. They loaded the unconscious boy in a handcart and all the adventurers left with Abel back to Hochoch.

After they had traveled for a couple of hours, Abel suddenly realized that he'd been charmed by Jonbon to leave his wife and kids alone with a stranger! After a few moments of indecision, Abel decided to trust the party with his son and headed back to confront the man who'd magically compelled him. The party split, Ogbar, Aanbo, Xana, Durren, and Quest running back to the farmhouse with Abel, while Sara, Klak, Morgran, and Thacogygax continued with Devek to Hochoch. On arriving at the farmhouse, that part of the party discovered that Jonbon had drugged all of Abel's family, retrieved one of the oxen once the innocents had fallen asleep, and loaded the unconscious woman and children into his wagon, which he then drove back toward Orlane. Running hard, Ogbar and Aanbo caught up to the wagon, fought and subdued Jonbon the kidnapper, and discovered the deeply-drugged-but-still-alive members of Abel's family in the back. They turned the wagon around again and headed back to the farmhouse for the night, with Jonbon bound and gagged.

Sara, Klak, Morgran, and Thacogygax arrived in Hochoch with the unconscious Devek early the next morning, exhausted and hungry from hours spent trudging with the hand cart (and a tense encounter with a hungry bear). The temple's priestess, Diana, examined Devek and conferred with Morgran while the others got a meal prepared by the temple's acolytes. Diana announced that the boy Devek was accidentally poisoned by coming in contact with - possibly injected or pierced by something - some powerful kind of magic sleeping potion. To craft an antidote, she would need to know more about the potion, by at the very least examining a sample of the potion. That would require finding the place where he was stuck.

The party is regrouping to consider what to do next. Morgran and some of the others have decided that they will remain in Hochoch and begin scouting for the location to set up the Dungeon Busters guild hall while remaining on hand to keep tabs on Devek.
Nov 24, 2023 5:46 pm
This is where we resume the game.

Cecily had sent the party ahead to scout out the area and to assess the need for a branch office of the Guild. Cecily was so confident that there was need, however, that she sent her lieutenant, Olpert Razorson, after them later that same day, with a caravan wagon of supplies for setting up the guild office in the area. As more Dungeon Buster aspirants arrive and are vetted, Cecily sends them on to different regions. Knowing that Olpert will have things well in hand, Cecily sent Albertus, Kragga, Joseph, and Theran to Hochoch within days of his departure.

Wagon travel is slower than walking. Olpert only arrived last night, just as the Hochoch group was leaving the Temple of Rao. They spotted Olpert and after he reserved a room for himself at the Inn of Eternal Rest, he heard the reports of all the Dungeon Busters representatives in town: Sara, Morgran, Thacogygax, and Klak. On the strength of their stories - and the fact that the party has already earned goodwill for the organization by rescuing Shalla and the mill from bandits - Olpert has decided that he doesn't need to assess other locations in the region. He's mobilized the team to begin the next stage of opening a new franchise: setting up offices, getting the word out, and finding a site to begin constructing a guild hall. They discussed the plan long into the night, determining specific tasks for each one of them.

As the day dawned, they got to work. Paying Devane for the privilege, Olpert has pulled his caravan wagon into a corner of the Inn's courtyard. He spent the morning with Thacogygax, unloading just enough from the wagon to set up a temporary workstation: a desk, a couple of chairs, writing and drafting supplies. Sara was given a number of Dungeon Busters broadsheets, which she took to a scribe to add the details of "Hochoch" and "Olpert" and "Inn of Eternal Rest." Now Sara is wandering the region, putting up the broadsheets, giving her time to do some soul searching (as she thinks best while walking). Klak has spent the morning scouting the city for likely places to construct a guild hall "worthy of Fus Bardagaskegg," talking to farmers to see who might be willing to sell a piece of their land. Morgran has been meeting with various tradespeople in town, spreading the word about Dungeon Busters, pressing the flesh and plying them with drinks at the Cube, and letting it be known that Dungeon Busters is looking to hire builders.

Last night at the Jarl farm, Abel needed a lot of reassurance that his family was only drugged. He was so scared and furious at their kidnapping that it took both Durren and Quest to talk him out of murdering their captive, Jonbon. Convinced that there may be more to glean from him, the party decided that they'd take Jonbon back to town with the others in the morning. At Abel's insistence, they locked the bound-and-gagged villain in the woodshed, but to be certain, Durren stood guard over the bard. Abel eventually calmed down and thanked each of the Dungeon Busters with his typically effusive, hyperbolic praise. After thoroughly scrubbing out all the cookware (suspicious that it might still hold traces of whatever drug Jonbon used), Abel prepared a decent late-night meal for the party. Quest took some out to Durren and joined him in his vigil, intending to probe Jonbon's mind for further information. Abel prepared comfortable beds for Aanbo, Ogbar, and Xana, and as it was already quite late, the party soon fell asleep.

As the day dawned, Quest was the first to rise, and he announced "I'm going to go back to town now, to tell them what has happened." He left while the Jarl family was waking up, groggily, recovering from their being drugged. Abel greeted their waking with delight. Xana, Ogbar, Durren, and Aanbo got to see another tearful reunion, notching up another heroic success to the Dungeon Busters. Elista prepared a ton of much better food for the group (each of those characters can add up to 5 rations to their inventory) and wished them good fortune, but it's clear that she's eager to get Jonbon off of her farm and out of her life. She sent a care package with Aanbo for Devek, "who surely is awake now and missing his family." Abel looks at each of the heroes in the eyes. "Thank you, Magnificent Potentates! You are ever welcome here! For all that your Majesties have done for us, I can never repay you. It is not fair of me to ask, but if my son is alive again, would you bring him back to me? I wish that I could go with you, but I can't bear to leave my family again so soon. May the gods have blessed my son Devek, and may they bless you, too!"

As the family waved goodbye to the party, Durren took the rope and led Jonbon out of the woodshed and down the track back to Cecily's Road. Not burdened with a wagon and pulling impatiently at the ropes anytime Jonbon seemed to be slowing their progress, the party made much better time on the return trip, arriving back at the bridge across the Realstream River in mid-afternoon.

Aanbo, Ogbar, Xana, and Durren arrive at the Inn of Eternal Rest with their captive just as Theran, Joseph, Kragga, and Albertus arrive to check in with Olpert.
Nov 26, 2023 9:06 pm
As they enter the courtyard, Devane greets the returning heroes with a cheery "Goot evenink! Lait me know if dere's anyting dat I can get for you." Then he backs away to tend to Victor Wilson (dining alone) and Lienne Vereel (surrounded by a group of admirers as always).

Olpert smiles at each of you and gestures you over, marking off your names on a list written on one of the many papers he has spread out on the table in front of his wagon. "Hail and well met, Dungeon Busters! I've already heard tales from the innkeeper and several others in town about how we've saved a mill and defeated some bandits. You're doing excellent work!" He then notices Durren for the first time, frowns slightly, and looks at his list again. "Who's this?"

Durren folds in an elaborate, showy bow and introduces himself, "An it please you, I hight Durren Elderblade, swordmaster and captain of the Sentry Corps. I am at your service, as I dearly wish to join your august company."

"A new applicant, eh? And a swordmaster?" Olpert squints at the man. "Well, we're happy to have qualified candidates join our ranks. But you'll need to go through the qualification trials. It's a bit late for today, but report back to me first thing in the morning and I'll get you started. But in the meantime, I've got to speak to the adventurers already part of Dungeon Busters..." Olpert looks expectantly at Durren, who takes several seconds to understand that this was a dismissal. "Oh! Ah, yea, I shall return to confer with thee on the morrow!" With that, Durren excuses himself and leaves after announcing to Xana, Ogbar, and Aanbo that he will be inquiring at the temple of Rao about Devek's health.

Once he's out of earshot, and looking ruefully in Lienne's direction (he's had enough time to recognize the town gossip), Olpert lowers his voice and addresses the seven remaining heroes: "I arrived last night. I'm setting up the Dungeon Busters office here, for now. But some of your companions have already started working on securing a location for a guild hall. I think we've got that covered for the time being. So I'd like you all to continue troubleshooting problems for the locals in the region, just like you three," he indicates Xana, Ogbar, and Aanbo, "did with that problem at the mill. You can fill in these four" he indicates Theran, Joseph, Kragga, and Albertus, "on what's been going on in the neighborhood and if you have any leads on other problems that need adventurer help. I've started getting the word out, so I'll let you know if anyone comes to me with a job for Dungeon Busters. But in the meantime, keep your ears open for opportunities."

He smiles at you all, then clears his throat. "If there's any updates you want to provide me on what work you've been doing in the area, now's the time. Otherwise, I'd like to finish these reports before I have to start lighting candles to see. Writing by candlelight really hurts my eyes..."
OOC:
(edited to show Olpert's portrait)
Nov 28, 2023 1:09 am
Enter, the knightly fellow. Albertus, Al to friends, nods in kind greeting to his fellow adventurers!

"Greetings, friends. Please, allow myself to introduce my…self…I am Albertus, a local lad here in Keoland, returning by way of the Knights of Holy Shielding in Furyondy. I’ve journeyed back, in betwixt knightly campaigns, looking for work. Seems I’ve found it!

Friends call me Al. You good people can call me Al."
Last edited November 28, 2023 1:11 am
Nov 28, 2023 1:16 am
"Good delvings to you, Al," replies Aanbo with a polite bow.

He kneads the earth of the courtyard with his bare toes, and says, "The boy at the temple, Devek, fell ill when he visited some ruins. Considering the small mark on Devek's hand, I might think he might have been injured by something within." He holds up one of his darts as an example. "I don't know if such is the case, but something there should prove to be the culprit for the boy's condition. Perhaps we should check those ruins and see.

"We also have a criminal," continues the monk, gesturing to the bound and gagged Jonbon. "He should be turned over to the authorities and questioned about his attempted kidnapping of Abel's family."
Last edited November 28, 2023 1:17 am
Nov 28, 2023 1:47 am
Ogbar sleeps fitfully on the comfortable beds, but is thrilled by the fine meal in the morning and is in good spirits when he meets the others, "Name's Ogbar," he says in his way of a joyous greeting, then nods along with Aanbo's explanation, "What he said."
Nov 28, 2023 5:10 am
Kragga stands tall in the courtyard, imposing like a mountain. His long hair streams down his vestments from his head like black rivers.

His deep voice has a power to it, and he speaks with alacrity to illuminate the hidden portents of this meeting.

"Seven. An auspicious number. Seven are the colours of the rainbow. Seven are the days of the week. Seven are notes in the scale. Seven were the Company of Seven - Zagig, Keoghtom, Murlynd, Nolzur, Quaal, Heward, and Tasha. And seven " - and this point, he slows his speech for emphasis "... are we."

Kragga nods to each of the men and the one woman as they announce themselves, and then again to Aanbo's report of the situation.

"I concur with Aanbo. There are many things buried within the ruins of the old world that might cause affliction. An inspection is warranted. Is there a jail or constabulary on the way to these ruins to deposit this pathetic creature?"
Last edited November 28, 2023 5:25 am
Nov 28, 2023 7:01 am
Xana happily takes whatever delicious food she is offered, and is full of thanks as her belly is stuffed bite by bite. Now this is the life! She is in even better spirits than usual when she heads downstairs to meet the others, as well as the.. er.. new recruits?

"Why hello, good fellows! The name is Xana Beren." She dips into a bow towards the newest members of their group. "If you're in need of any training before joining our group, just know that I'm your woman and my fees are quite reasonable if I do say so myself!"

She looks over at Kragga as he begins speaking of numbers and lists... names? To be honest, she stopped paying attention halfway through his diatribe. "Yes! Indeed, in fact seven is the number of times that I- well that's not important now that I think about it. Nevermind! The important thing to know is that there is still much to be done in this fair town, our heroics are not over just yet! Are we off, then?" She looks over at Aanbo and Ogbar, then to their prisoner.
Nov 28, 2023 10:09 am
"Greetings and Salutations to you all. Joseph's my name, Joseph Nimblefingers." The young looking halfling looks to the setting sun. "Begging your pardon friends, but perhaps we should wait until daybreak to depart.
Nov 28, 2023 10:28 am
"Ah, yes! Perhaps morning would be best, friends. Those of us with trammeled nighttime vision might do well to wait a few hours on our quest!

"Anyone need rest in the meantime? Perhaps a nightcap before we turn in?"
Nov 28, 2023 4:45 pm
A young wood elf stands quietly, leaning on his staff as others talk. Eventually he interjects. "A pleasure to meet all of you. I am Theran Naïlo. I am ready to leave whenever the rest of you are ready."

With that brief introduction out of the way, he falls silent, continuing to watch the others interact.
Nov 28, 2023 5:02 pm
"Whatever our course, let us first take this lawbreaker to the local garrison and set him on the path to rectitude. I do not want to cart him about, whether we choose stalk haunted ruins or homely taverns."

"Master Olpert, or anyone who knows - how far away are these ruins by foot?"
OOC:
@spaceseeker19, based on Olpert's answer and our experience in the world (probably knowing when the sun sets at this time of year, etc.), do we have a reasonable chance to get to the ruins before sunset? I know we don't have clocks and such at our disposal, just looking for Kragga's general sense of time.
Nov 28, 2023 7:13 pm
"If none here know where the ruins lie, we can ask the farmer, Abel," says Aanbo. "He and his family are aware of the location, and it should be near their home.

"I'm sure they would like to hear word of their son, regardless, so it would benefit us to pay them another visit."
Nov 28, 2023 11:59 pm
Kragga nods in his agreement with Aanbo for the second time. This dwarven monk speaks sense.
Nov 29, 2023 12:11 am
"I stand ready to assist, friends. If we can get ourselves to yon ruins this eve, all the better! Perhaps the Garrison is open for us to drop the prisoner firstly? Then we can get on with our quest! Onward and upward, I say."
Last edited November 29, 2023 10:48 am
Nov 29, 2023 1:48 am
Len says:
OOC:
@spaceseeker19, based on Olpert's answer and our experience in the world (probably knowing when the sun sets at this time of year, etc.), do we have a reasonable chance to get to the ruins before sunset?
It's mid-afternoon now; if the party decides to leave today and hurries, they might make it back to the Jarl farm before full night, and the ruins are not far from the farm...close enough, at any rate, for Devek to sneak over there and back when finished with his chores without being missed at a meal. Sunset'll start in about three hours.
Nov 29, 2023 2:02 am
Olpert listens to Aanbo's report about the Jarl boy with some interest. "That's wonderful!" He catches himself and lowers his voice again, glowering at Lienne, who is already approaching to hear something 'wonderful.' He adds quickly: "Not wonderful for the boy, of course, but saving people and exploring ruins...that's our bread and butter!"
But he frowns at the bound figure of Jonbon. "You'll have to do something about him right away...the Brenin's reeves don't like others stepping on their authority. I'd say you should turn him over to the reeve, but I found out today that he's not supposed to be back here in Hochoch for another three weeks, when the Town Court will next be in session. I assume they have a holding area for those awaiting court..." As Lienne arrives, his creased face breaks into a smile to match hers, and he resumes at stage volume. "You could ask this charming young woman, who has been so helpful to me all day long. Miss, does the Hochoch Council maintain a holding area for people awaiting the court?" Lienne blushes and curtseys in a way that humans find appealing. Unseen in the background behind her, Soraya shakes her head and grins.

Lienne gushes: "I would be happy to show you brave heroes where we keep our accused in town. What can you tell me about him? What did he do?"
Nov 29, 2023 1:19 pm
Our knightly fellow clears his throat, "(Ahem), pardon me," like he’s ready to make some sort of heroic speech!

"M’Lady…I’m new here, but as I understand, this man Jonbon has been labeled a kidnapper of women and children. Well, maybe just one woman, I think…but multiple children! I don’t know if you speak the Keolish tongue, but in that language we’d call him a…well, it’s too provocative a word in mixed company, but basically a very bad person!

"Jonbon the Kidnapper must stand for his accused crimes. I will gladly escort him, along with my associates, to the proper authorities. Or, well, to the place you keep people, until such time as they can eventually be brought before the proper authorities. What you just said. Basically."
Last edited November 29, 2023 1:29 pm
Nov 29, 2023 1:28 pm
"In short, he seems to make very bad decisions."

The comment, quiet yet resolute, comes from the elf in the corner.

Why would anyone kidnap children? The incessant whining alone would be unbearable. Bad decisions indeed...
Nov 29, 2023 1:59 pm
Xana nods sagely in agreement. "Who would think to make such bad choices and do such terrible things? It’s only right that we bring him to justice as quickly as possible." She stands, ready to leave.
Nov 29, 2023 3:43 pm
As the others gossip with the gossip, Aanbo turns to Olpert. "I don't know how the reeves would keep a person from enchanting them, as Jonbon is accused of doing to the farmer and his family," he says. "It would be cruel to leave him gagged like this while in custody, so perhaps a few of our own members can support the local authorities in watching over him?"
Nov 29, 2023 8:37 pm
Ogbar shakes his head, "I say we leave him bound and gagged. Anyone so weak that they must resort to attacking women and children deserves it."
Nov 29, 2023 8:48 pm
Albertus exudes stern stalwart gaze.

"We’ll leave him for authorities, yes, but to be fair I cannot allow a prisoner to suffer without due cause.

"Lienne, take us to this holding area please, so we can see for ourselves."
Last edited November 30, 2023 12:20 am
Nov 30, 2023 12:27 am
"I'm sorry, just so I understand, this fellow kidnapped several children?" Joseph frowns in thought. "Where I'm from we don't stand for that sort of thing. Do we really wait for the authorities? Seems to me the town might be better off if we took care of the matter for them."
Nov 30, 2023 12:50 am
"Oh, your position is understandable, Master Nimblefingers. And, not altogether disagreeable.

"But in my place of obeying just-authority, I simply cannot press on without assurance the prisoner will…well, will still be around when the authorities do come for him. Whenever that might be.

"Ideally, I’d like to see this prisoner not suffer unnecessarily. Everyone has rights under the law. But…if we must press on, then we must. As long as the law is followed. Such is simply my place, friends. I hope you all can understand."
Last edited November 30, 2023 12:50 am
Nov 30, 2023 2:38 am
Kragga stands with Xana near the exit, also ready to depart. He asks her: "How long will they argue about this, do you think?"
Nov 30, 2023 3:00 am
"I have no idea, but I'm bored. Time to go!" She claps loudly to get everyone's attention. "The time is nigh, we must away!" She then heads over to Jonbon and attempts to drag him towards the door, nodding at Lienne. "To the holding place! Lead the way, good woman! I'll make sure this one doesn't suffer unnecessarily! Whoops, sorry!" Xana "accidentally" bumps into him a few times on the way. Smallfolk can be clumsy like that.
Last edited November 30, 2023 3:00 am
Nov 30, 2023 3:13 am
Aanbo clasps his hands together at his waist as Xana leads Jonbon away. "We should remember that we are guests of Hochoch," he says to Joseph and Albertus. "We have done much to earn trust here, but we don't have any authority to decide on the fate of alleged criminals. I think the best we can do is turn him in, warn them of his charming personality and possible magic, and perhaps have some of the other Dungeon Buster members keep watch."

He turns and steps towards the waiting Kragga. "We don't have much sunlight left. I'd like to check in on Devek before we head back to the farm. At least we can bring news of his condition to his family, for better or for worse."
Nov 30, 2023 6:07 am
Kragga, in appreciation of her initiative, makes no move to impede Xana. Her small jabs at the criminal are not cruel, and most certainly well deserved. He cannot help but smile just a little, which is a rare occurrence for Kragga.

It has faded once Aanbo comes to speak to him. "I will trust your judgement on this, Master Aanbo. It has proven sound thus far."
Nov 30, 2023 7:07 am
https://i.imgur.com/MAS3qTd.png

Lienne giggles to be called a "lady," and takes Albertus' arm in mock-courtly manners. "Ooh, I'm not so highborn as that, m'lord...! But I will show you where we put people awaiting the court's judgment."
As she inevitably draws attention to herself, Olpert gestures for Aanbo, Ogbar, and Joseph to lean in so he can whisper to them with less chance of being overheard. Lienne proceeds slowly across the courtyard with Albertus and Xana, the bound Jonbon in tow, her voice ringing brightly across the open space. Her monologue and Olpert's mutterings overlap.

Lienne gestures to Theran in the corner, "Come and join us! Don't be a stranger!" Then again, to Albertus, as she eyes the trussed-up figure of Jonbon towed along behind Xana. "As we make our promenade, tell me: whose children were kidnapped? Were they going to feed to the many-headed beast, or join Bandit Black, or taken away for a carnival?" She looks around at the group. "Aren't you all so terribly brave, rescuing wives and children from doom?" She looks admiringly at everyone, noting Kragga's luxuriously long hair for the first time. Then she peers at Jonbon, stumbling along behind them. "A very bad person!" She turns back to Albertus. "Let me see if any of my Keolish words are the match for what you mean...is he a...'monster?' Is he a...'bastard?' Or would you say he's a..." and here she begins to utter a stream of profane invective foul enough to make even Morgran blush. She pauses for breath and then laughs musically. "I was born and raised here in Hochoch, and growing up with four brothers helped me to learn a lot of the more descriptive words in our native Keolish tongue. But I've made sure to learn my Imperial, too. Many bards say I have hardly any accent at all!" Olpert mutters to Aanbo, Joseph, and Ogbar in a low voice: "Listen, I'm all for sword justice ordinarily, but killing in the heat of battle is different from killing a captive. Like I said, there isn't a reeve alive who takes kindly to people blatantly executing accused prisoners without a trial. But I'll add that the people don't like it, either, when somebody who is helpless, whom they haven't seen do anything wrong, gets killed by a gang of armed strangers. It tends to make them nervous around those armed strangers, and we're trying to make them feel safe - safe enough that they'll trust us with their problems...the ones that only Dungeon Busters can solve! You captured him, make sure that he gets accused by this guy Abel and then the Town Court - the whole town - will either determine that he needs to have a trial, or convict him and pass sentence. You that saw him take the kids can also speak at the court, if you're in town then. As for the safety of the holding cell, from what I gather, they have the same sort of anti-magic measures in place to keep accused people contained as anyplace else."

They're walking and talking at a measured pace, so Joseph, Ogbar, and Aanbo are easily able to catch up to the group. By that time, it's become quite the procession, with more and more residents coming out of their doors to see what the fuss is about.

So it is that a large crowd arrives at the holding cell to cheer on the heroes of Hochoch as they arrive. The cell is a secure stone structure near the Market Square at the center of town. There are narrow windows - perhaps one hand-width tall - with bars about 10' off the ground, just under the shallow eaves. There are two iron-reinforced doors with hinges on the outside, barred with heavy wooden beams that are locked in place with complicated-but-sturdy gnomish locks. A second lock prevents the thick metal sliding door set into the bottom of each door from being opened from the inside. Cormac Smith is here, and when Lienne explains an only slightly-embellished tale of the miscreant's capture (emphasizing how valiant Ogbar and Aanbo were), Cormac leaves for his smithy. As he's gone, Diana explains that her acolytes are responsible for feeding the occupants (and emptying their night pots) whenever someone is kept in the cell to await the next Town Court: the Temple of Rao is currently entrusted with the small keys for the sliding doors. The occupants can never see the people who feed them, which prevents a lot of magic from being used. But even if they could be charmed, only the person entrusted with the bar keys - currently Cormac - can open them, and he makes sure never to be alone when he opens the cell. They make sure to never have both types of keys in the vicinity of the cell at the same time.

The crowd explains that Kris Reeve is due to arrive in about three weeks' time. When the reeve arrives, Hochoch convenes a Town Court, right near here in the Market Square. The whole town appears to make accusations, testify, and judge. If there isn't agreement, Kris puts a trial to the accused. As a reeve, he is an officer of the Brenin's court, and endowed with certain powers that enable him to get to the truth of the matter when necessary.

Cormac arrives a short time later, returning with the keys for the doors. He unlocks one bar and lifts it in one massive hand. With the other, he swings the heavy door ponderously open. As you all watch Jonbon very closely, Diana removes the ropes that bind Jonbon's hands and arms. Jonbon, still gagged, looks around at the crowd with wide eyes, rubbing his wrists. Cormac growls: "Keep your hands still and don't try to say anything until I've closed the door." Diana pulls the gag from Jonbon's mouth. Lienne gives a little gasp of recognition. Then Jonbon enters the cell when Cormac prods him with the beam. Cormac slams the door shut again, replaces the beam, and locks it into place.

When it's clear that the drama is over for now, the crowd slowly disperses, and the party moves far enough away from the cell to be out of earshot. They are left alone with Lienne on the other side of the Market Square. Lienne breathes: "That's Jonbon the Busker! He came through town about a month ago, played at the Inn for a few days, and then traveled on." She shudders. "He was one of them that complimented me on my accent!" She takes a deep breath and looks at each of you. "I...it's getting toward suppertime. I should be heading home." She begins to hurry away, then turns back and waves. "Thank you! Thank you, all!"

It is late afternoon and Jonbon is locked up. What do you do now?
OOC:
A note on edits: I edited this four times, and I still can't figure out why Cormac's speech isn't getting bolded. Hopefully that isn't too annoying to you.
Nov 30, 2023 3:41 pm
Confident that the town has matters well in hand, Aanbo makes a quick detour to check on Devek. "For those that are heading straight to the Jarl Farm, I will catch up when I can," he says.
Nov 30, 2023 8:42 pm
Al bids farewell to Lienne.

"Good day to you," Albertus says. "Your smile, reminds me of…never mind," he adds, as his voice kind of trails off. "Until we meet again M’Lady. Albertus, by the way, that’s my name. But friends call me Al. You can call me Al," he says, as Lienne walks away.

The knightly fellow then simply "(Sighs)."

"Well friends…I guess, that’s that. If everyone is ready, shall we make our way to ye ol Jarl Farm, then? I am ready to proceed."
Last edited November 30, 2023 11:40 pm
Dec 1, 2023 5:26 am
https://i.imgur.com/jMNhsTM.png
On the way to the Temple of Rao, Aanbo sees a familiar massive shape trying to look inconspicuous in the shadow of a building: his friend, Thacogygax the thraakon. Thacogygax is looking even more awkward than usual...almost bashful. He shuffles forward to face the monk and performs what Aanbo has come to believe is a thraakon gesture of warm greeting. "I...walk with you...tell you me..." In this sort of very broken, croaking Imperial, Thacogygax converses with Aanbo as they walk toward the Temple. As best as Aanbo can decipher, Thacogygax explains that he has found work that is less warlike here in Hochoch, helping Olpert. He is contented with this. But today he found out from Nyomba (it takes Aanbo a bit to realize that 'Nyomba' must be a person) that he is not the only thraakon here in Hochoch. There is another extradimensional war refugee - a thraakon with dull grey scales - who arrived months ago, living here in town. Thacogygax went to meet it immediately; its name is Sperodstamentzner. As they arrive at the Temple, Thacogygax sorrowfully tells the monk that, while he values Aanbo dearly, he will be staying here in town to catch up with his new friend and do work that isn't as likely to remind him of the war. He seems very anxious that this might harm their friendship.

An acolyte shows Aanbo in to the Temple of Rao convalescence chamber, where he meets fellow dwarf Morgran, who apparently has been here often enough that he's a routine sight in the room. The acolyte discreetly steps aside for their reunion, but monitors the nearby patients so that she's close enough to come if there's need. Morgran the pirate reeks of alcohol, but is apparently no more drunk than usual. "It's good to see ye, agin! I've bin playing drinkin' games wi' ever' sort of builder an' worker all the hours o' the day, tellin' 'em 'bout are need fer a hall. Can't handle thar liquor, f'the most part, but they seem int'rested. I stopt a bit early so I could visit the poor child, here, afore dark. I've been taken by his plight, I have, I don't mind tellin' ye." He puts his huge, calloused hand on the pale boy's slim shoulder for a moment. "Thar's been no change wi' Devek since we brought 'im in yesterday, still an' pale as death." He lowers his voice as he turns back to Aanbo so that the acolyte can't easily overhear, "That priestess Diana has quite the digs here, but I'm not entirely sure that the Jarl family should put all thar hope in Rao. Mind ye, thar ain't nothin' wrong with a sun god, exac'ly, but thar's no one like Kord fer healing wounds. The problem be that this boy hain't taken no wounds exac'ly, an' certain 'tis that he warn't in no battle. Aye, I've been takin' breaks to pray fer him, but no sign of more life, not yet...I'll keep at it, of carse..." Then the old pirate's eyes light on Elista's parcel in Aanbo's hands. Morgran takes the cloth-wrapped bundle from Aanbo and pats it approvingly. "Ah, this must be from the boy's own dear mother...a pack o' goodies sealed wi' love. This'll be sure to do 'im good. I'll see to it that the boy will get this gesture of 'er affection as soon as he wakes..." He sniffs at the bundle. "...unless he doesn't come to by midday tomorrow. T'would be a sin fer lettin' such fine victuals go to waste...and ye know I'm no sinner!" He shifts the parcel to one hand so he can scratch an itch with his prayer wheel.

Satisfied that Devek is in good hands and that the best hope for his recovery is to find out how he was put to sleep in the first place, Aanbo says his goodbyes and hurries to catch up with the others.
Dec 1, 2023 6:02 am
https://i.imgur.com/8bvYjGZ.png
Eager to prove themselves and discover some secrets that might save the young crofter boy, the rest of the party heads south and passes through the East Gate, then turns east toward the Realstream. As they go, Xana and Ogbar recognize the doughty figure walking toward them, north along the river bank toward the bridge: their fellow Dungeon Buster, Klak Jarnskjoldur. A last few farmers trudge past, heading home from fields tended on the far side of the river. Klak stops at the bridge and waits for the group's approach off to one side, waving to the group, apparently concerned that the party will overlook him, despite the huge shield and axe slung by straps over his back. A few of the farmers nod and smile at the adventurers, and one man, leading a horse, calls "Good job driving out that bastard Black and his army at the Battle of the Mill!" as he goes past. You overhear him say to his child, riding on the horse, "Take a good look, boy. Those are the Heroes of Hochoch!"

As you draw near, Klak smiles and addresses you in his normal, lugubrious way. "Hey, Xana! Hey, Ogbar! Any new jobs?" He listens for a bit, if you have anything to tell him, and he greets each of the new party members seriously, with deep, respectful bows, his weapons clanking awkwardly as he dips. "Kragga, Joseph, Albert...I mean, Al...Theran. Well met and good luck. You all seem very capable. But if you ever need to brush up on any skills, talk to Xana; she's an expert in many subjects and is willing to teach them for a reasonable fee. She taught me how to grow my beard fuller!" He models it proudly. "So I'm sure you'll all do Dungeon Busters proud. As for me, I've been doing what I was ordered to do: going from farm to farm all day talking to the owners about buying space for our guild hall. Farmer Tost just away...uh...south...there?" Klak points. "He's a good dwarf, but he's chatty. He sat me down and we had some good ale and talked about stuff. Well, he talked, mostly. He says he's tired of...uh..." here he pauses and does a decent impression of a crotchety old dwarf, "'trying to compete with those damn farms in Orlane.'" He shrugs. "It sounds like he's willing to sell. Selling stuff is easy! All you have to do is listen, and I'm GOOD at listening. The Captain always said it was my strongest talent!" His teeth shine brightly in his dark beard, but then his brow furrows. "Or...wait...is it selling, if I'm the one who's buying? Does that mean he was selling to me?" He looks really worried for a bit. Then he shrugs again. "I don't know. But hey, I don't have to! I'm off to tell Olpert and he'll figure it out. Then I can get some of Cook's elk roast at the Inn. He may be an elf, but he sure does know how to prepare a good meal." He heads out with another wave. "Good luck with helping the boy!"

As you watch the dwarf clank stolidly back toward town, another familiar figure approaches, this time from across the bridge. This is Sara Stone, the shy human ranger. She stops and greets you all, eyes mostly downcast, flicking her gaze up only briefly as she meets Theran, Joseph, Kragga, and Albert. She smiles bashfully at Albert's invitation to call him Al and keeps pushing her long hair back over her ear each time she looks down and it falls forward again. "I'm glad you're going back to help Abel and his family," she says, quietly enough that she's hard to hear. She addresses this next to the whole group, but you get the feeling that it's particularly to Ogbar and Xana. "I'm...not going to go with you on missions like that for awhile. I trust you with my life, but...I don't like how I am when there's trouble. The other day I killed somebody...no, not just somebody. I killed at least five men, in that fight in the mill. I can still see their faces when I close my eyes, and I'm worried that I might start to see them in my nightmares. I want to help people, but I don't want to be haunted by how quickly, how easily I can kill. Until I get OK with this, I would be a liability to you. So...I wish you the best, I really do, but I can't go with you. Not now."

As the party considers how to respond to this, Aanbo jogs up. Nearly all of the party has been accounted for, there's two and half hours to sunset, and the road heads east toward the Dim Forest on the other side of the bridge.
Dec 1, 2023 6:37 am
Kragga is silent during these encounters along the road. The glory belongs to Xana and Ogbar, and he respects their deeds by casting no shadow in their sun as they are praised. With such reputations, Kragga feels more confident about letting Al talk him into joining the Dungeon Busters.
Dec 1, 2023 3:23 pm
It truly seems as if this organization might be a good fit for me. They seem to make a difference.

Theran stays towards the back of the group, simply observing. He greets colleagues as is proper, but knows the battle was not his. The ranger strikes a chord with him as she speaks, his mind flitting back through his own past... which he promptly dismisses as steels himself against his own memories.
Dec 1, 2023 5:59 pm
With Thacogygax...
Aanbo smiled at his friend. "It is good to reconnect with one's kin," he said, and paused enough for his smile to falter. He shook the thought away, and continued, "It pleases me that Hochoch will have not one, but two capable thraakon nearby. The Dungeon Busters and this place will be my home for a while, at least, so I look forward to hearing your tales soon enough. I will see you again, my friend."

With Morgran...
Aanbo nodded patiently as Morgran described his dealings with the craftsmen. When the topic turned to Devek, he looked to see if the small puncture on Devek's hand had any change in appearance. "You understand Kord's teachings more than I could," he said as they spoke of prayer, "same as Diana might have a connection with Rao. I am happy that you both are praying for Devek's recovery, for we all agree that he has the potential to do great things."

After turning over the care package from Elista, Aanbo gave a nod and a wink to the pirate. "Good delvings, kinsman. We will return, hopefully with some answers."

At present...
The palpable difference between the jovial parting of Klak and the rueful demeanor of Sara is obvious to Aanbo. He reaches with a hand, not to stop the ranger, but to give her a momentary pause. "We can speak of things later, if you like," he says solemnly. "Know that you are a good person, and good people are worth listening to. We will return." He watches the ranger depart with his hands clasped at his waist, then joins the others at the bridge.

"My friends, old and new," says Aanbo, "I apologize for being late. A lot of things going on back in town. Shall we head out?"
Dec 1, 2023 10:43 pm
"It seems like you all have accomplished a lot," Joseph says after witnessing the stories told and praises sung. "Hopefully there's enough adventure left for the rest of us," he remarks with a wide grin.
Dec 1, 2023 10:45 pm
Our knightly fellow greets Sara Stone kindly.

"Well met, ranger. I am glad to be working together. Rangers and paladins, we both share similar aims. If I can…help you with your endeavors…well, I will be around."

Al kneels and kisses the ranger’s hand, in a manner most knightly. After all, it’s good to make new friends!
Last edited December 1, 2023 10:46 pm
Dec 2, 2023 4:20 am
https://i.imgur.com/NJiCGMV.jpg
"I'm sure that exploring the ruin where Devek met his end...well, his misfortune...will be plenty of adventure." Sara smiles at Joseph, walking with the group across the bridge despite her protestations that she wasn't going to join them. Her eyes widen at the paladin's demonstrative kiss...She thinks "This one is almost as stilted as..." "Where is that strange man who wanted to join us? Durren...uh... Oldsword-something? Is he not going with you?" She scans the group again. "And what of our old friend, Quest Damoran, Xana? Has he been given some other mission, too? Last I saw him, he was with you at the farm with Devek's father..."

Aanbo runs up and has his conversation with Sara, walking her partway back across the bridge. She waves and calls back "Goodbye! Fare well! May your paths be clear and all your trials victorious! I'll look to see you again in a few days' time!"

You are on the east bank of the Realstream River. The lowering sun is at your back. The East Road - known hereabouts as Cecily's Road because your employer carved it out of the wilderness more than a hundred years ago - stretches before you toward the Dim Forest, Abel Jarl's home, Orlane, and, somewhere within reach of the Jarl farm, the ruin that Abella Jarl told you Devek visited right before he collapsed into his death-like sleep.
Dec 2, 2023 6:22 am
Xana shares a drink with Klak, admiring the beard before realization dawns on her face. She turns to him. "I forgot to mention when we last spoke, but I have the perfect oil for dwarven beards, if you're interested! It's an improvement on a recipe my cousin learned when he worked at a luxury dwarven spa one summer. I could probably sell you some at a much discounted price for my very best friends if you're interested?" She looks at him with hopeful eyes.

At Sara, Xana nods seriously. "You did great! But this kind of work isn't for everyone... if you ever change your mind and need help readjusting to the adventuring life, you just let me know. The rest of us will continue to do good work, bringing an even greater reputation to the Dungeon Busters!" She raises her arms over her head in a victory pose. She pauses just long enough to give Joseph a nudge. "You stick with us, and they'll be singing tavern songs of our tales for centuries to come!"
Dec 2, 2023 5:21 pm
Al buds farewell to departing heroes. I’m glad to be working with all of you. I’m sure we’ll bust many dungeons together!

Checking his gear, for to allow ergonomic hiking weight, our knightly fellow moves up at or near the point. Allowing more survival-minded heroes to lead, but offering knightly assistance in any ol’ case!

Onward and upward, friends! Or well, forward. Even if we’re not moving UP. You know what I mean!
Dec 3, 2023 2:06 am
Having said their preparations and goodbyes, the seven Dungeon Busters adventurers - Xana the gnome Warlock, Theran the elven Druid, Ogbar the human Barbarian, Kragga the half-elven Wizard, Joseph the halfling Rogue, Albertus the human Paladin, and Aanbo the dwarven Monk - head out down the East Road.

The way is familiar to Aanbo, Ogbar, and Xana, and the party makes good time. They arrive at the place where they leave the road to go to Abel Jarl's farm - obvious because the covered wagon that Rufus loaned the party still sits, empty, at the side of the road to mark the spot. Heading into the gloomy woods as twilight falls, the narrow path is brightened by many, many fireflies, igniting their glow like a huge glowing blanket rising around the party and spread out to welcome them. You hail the house as you approach, somewhat relieved to see the warm glow of light in the windows. Abel opens the door cautiously, then throws it open wide and welcomes you all in.

It is a small kitchen/dining/living room, but the family - Abel, Elista, Abella, Emiless, Torren, and even little Wenderly - make room as best they can for the heroes and all of their equipment. The fire is roaring, there is more stew bubbling in the pot, and the family eagerly greets each of the heroes they have not met before now. Then, the introductions complete, the family looks at you expectantly, wondering what news you have of Devek.
Dec 3, 2023 4:11 am
Kragga finds it especially difficult to squeeze into the small space, ducking to avoid bumping his head on ceilings and door frames. He takes his seat carefully, yet the chair legs still groan as his weight settles.

Kragga decides to leave the original heroes the opportunity to tell the tale of Devek first-hand. Instead, he offers up a small display of colourful sparks and such to entertain the children, especially little Wenderly.
OOC:
Casting prestidigitation several times to produce a simple magic show.
Dec 3, 2023 8:13 am
Aanbo speaks truthfully about Devek's condition, stable yet no signs of improvement. "He is under skilled care," he says, "but Lady Diane feels that if we can find one struck him within those ruins, she can better treat him. That is why we have returned. We will make for those ruins and find for ourselves what trouble lies within."

His hands fiddle with his prayer beads, rolling each stone between his dusty fingers in thought. "I remember you said the ruins were nearby. Could you teach us the way, and we will head out in the morning? I only ask for directions, so that you and your kin might be safe at home."
Dec 3, 2023 1:32 pm
Al gathers together with kind companions and humble hosts.

Yes, please direct us to the ruins, if you know the way. My friend speaks truth. We must be gathering there in the morn. There is surely much to do.

Our knightly fellow thanks Abel for kind hospitality. And during the vivst, Al’s mind wanders. Wanders between the mission at-hand, and other reasons for knightly return to Keoland.
Dec 4, 2023 10:17 pm
https://i.imgur.com/2iNl6DH.jpg

spaceseeker19 sent a note to Len
At first the children are alarmed at so many people filling their home...especially because so many of them are so LARGE. But as Xana and Aanbo take turns relating what has happened to Devek in town (with Ogbar occasionally humming, nodding, or harrumphing for emphasis), Kragga creates small sparks which he makes jump from hand to hand. The kids are delighted (even Abella, who tries so hard to seem mature, smiles in delight) when the sparks start his sleeve to smoulder, and he demonstrates the power of slapstick inadvertently as he smacks at the embers with hands that are still sparking, causing more areas to scorch. Thinking it was all intentional, the children applaud Kragga when he finally extinguishes all the little smouldering bits, and Aanbo looks around quizzically, wondering what in his account of Devek's plight had them so entertained.

Abel nods as Elista, who had immediately started cutting more vegetables and adding water to the pot as soon as the party had arrived, begins to ladle out stew into bowls that Abella and Emiless bring to each person in the room. Wenderly clings to his mother's skirts, watching everyone with wide eyes. There is a simple table in the middle of the room with eight chairs of differing heights; Abel sits in one, and each of the party members sits in another. Xana and Joseph find that two of the chairs are the right size for them to sit and use the table comfortably, as they are about the same size as Torren and Wenderly. Excited to help, Torren rushes around, bring each person a wooden spoon, back and forth across the room in a haphazard pattern. When everyone has been provided with food and a utensil, the children and their mother settle down on various pieces of furniture, Wenderly in Abel's lap. Abella smiles shyly at Albertus. Elista says a quick prayer of thanks to Merikka for the bounty, pausing for a moment to allow anyone else to add devotions to another deity, then Abel announces in his Keolish lilt: "Let's eat!"

After a few minutes of companionable munching, Abel puts down his spoon and turns to his daughter Abella. "So, Abella, I know you followed Devek to that ruin at least once." Abella gives a start, but Abel shakes his head. "I told you, you're not in trouble, dear, but Devek needs the help of these heroes. Would you tell them how to get to the ruin?" Abella is a little tongue-tied at first, then she finds herself more at ease directing her narrative to Joseph. Abel translates her Keolish to Imperial for the sake of any heroes who don't speak the local language.

"I didn't go all the way there; I was a little s-uh...hesitant to go there, because you told me not go too far from home, daddy. But, one time, I did ask Devek where he'd gone. I thought he went off to visit Jonquil - he's got a crush on Jonquil - and I saw them holding hands once." Abel and Elista exchange questioning glances here; it's clear they had little idea that their boy had any romantic aspirations. "But he said, no. He said he'd gone northeast until he hit a stream, then followed the stream north. He said that he found an old ruined building made of stone. I didn't believe him, and I teased him about Jonquil. He told me that the next time he went, he'd show me that he wasn't lying. That's when he brought the stone back."

As Abella is relating this account, Abel reaches up onto a shelf and pulls down what appears to be a pottery shard. But as he hands it to Aanbo to pass it around the table, you all realize that it's a fragment of an ancient, crumbling bit of masoned stone, marked with a faint, circular symbol.
OOC:
If you wish, you can make a Religion skill check.
As the stone is passed around, Abel continues the narrative where Abella stopped. "He brought that back with him the last time he went, and fell down dead right after he gave it to Abella...or so we thought. That's when I went to look for help. Abella...well, she was scared to reveal her part in this, and didn't say anything about the stone until after it was clear that Devek wasn't dead. It was only after you rescued my family from that madman and took Devek to the temple that she got up the nerve to tell me."
Dec 4, 2023 10:38 pm
Joseph gives Abella all his attention, seeking to make her as relaxed as possible in the telling of her tale. Afterwords he turns the stone shard around in his hand, plumbing his memory for any meaning the symbol might have.

Rolls

Religion - (1d20+1)

(3) + 1 = 4

Dec 4, 2023 11:23 pm
Aanbo takes his time inspecting the stone piece, turning it in his hand and feeling the coarse grain with his thumb. He brings the stone to his eyes for a closer look, then passes it along.

He tries to remember the directions provided by Abella, ignoring the seemingly-unrelated details of teenage romance and expected parental disapproval.
OOC:
In addition to my Religion check, is it possible to apply Dwarven Stonecunning to the cut or masonry? I'll add the History check, ignore if it doesn't apply.
[ +- ] Stonecunning

Rolls

Religion - (1d20+3)

(14) + 3 = 17

History (Stonecunning) - (1d20+5)

(10) + 5 = 15

Dec 4, 2023 11:32 pm
Al settles his knightly self into a chair near the hearth. He exchanges playful glares with Abella.

"Well that’s quite a FIND you made," Al says to Abella in the Keolish tongue. Emerald-green eyes gaze upon the stone. Our adventuresome fellow drawing upon knightly tuition to recognize its significance.

"The stew smells delicious," Al says to Elista. Allowing his bowl to cool slightly. Even though burnt tongues from hot stew may be among the very least of all our worries!
Last edited December 4, 2023 11:32 pm

Rolls

Religion - (1d20)

(19) = 19

Dec 4, 2023 11:49 pm
Ogbar consumes copious amounts of stew as he listens to the talking. He doesn't even check over the stone, knowing he'd have no chance of identifying any markings on it. He simply watches the family in their natural environment and thinks of his dearest Olga and the many children they would one day produce.
Dec 5, 2023 12:26 am
After thanking their hosts for the meal, Theran eats his stew silently, simply choosing to watch and listen. Ruined buildings are of little importance to him, but he will give the piece of stone a cursory once-over as it's handed to him, before passing it along.

Well, they certainly seem to think it's important... whatever it is. Time will tell, I suppose.
Dec 5, 2023 12:39 am
OOC:
Performance Check as requested!
Kragga's fireworks might be a bit too aggressive for the children, he realizes...
Last edited December 5, 2023 12:44 am

Rolls

Performance Check (+1) - (1d20+1)

(8) + 1 = 9

Dec 5, 2023 12:40 am
Xana looks at the piece of stoneware as if fascinated by its... texture? color?... before passing it to the next person.

Rolls

Religion - (1d20)

(9) = 9

Dec 5, 2023 12:44 am
Kragga follows the human customs - bowing his head during the mealtime prayer, thanking his hosts, not belching loudly. He works at using the utensils with some concentration.

When offered, Kragga takes the stone shard from Xana and looks it over with curiosity, especially the symbol.
Last edited December 5, 2023 12:51 am

Rolls

Religion - (1d20+4)

(7) + 4 = 11

Dec 5, 2023 4:41 am
Kragga recognizes the symbol as a sort of religious symbolism, clearly representing the sun. Probably some symbol of a sun-worshipping faith.
Aanbo sees that the symbol is similar to that of Pelor, the sun god, but the disc of the sun is enclosed with two very faint etchings: swooping lines as of outstretched arms or eyelids, though one of them ends in a curlicue. As with any faith, there have been many offshoots and sects of the worship of Pelor across history; this is likely to be one of them. Parl was one, Pae another. The stone is clearly a worked piece of some sort of sedimentary rock, very old, and likely the corner of a large block probably four hands' width on a side.
Albertus recognizes the symbol as that of Pae, an ancient avatar or aspect of Pelor whose symbol was the disc of the sun with the body of serpent coiled around it like eyelids: an ancient god of light, life, growth, and regeneration which hasn't been worshipped openly in Keoland for centuries.
https://i.imgur.com/Vzi2Nk7.jpg
The meal finished, the family cleans up the bowls and scrub out the cauldron. Enlisting the help of Albertus, Kragga, and Ogbar, Abel moves all the chairs upstairs, and Elista, Abella, Emiless, and Torren carry down hides and blankets to lay out for the guests to use as bedding. There's the usual jockeying for space for a while before Elista recognizes that there isn't really room for all seven adventurers and all their gear in the one room, so they move Torren and Wenderly out of the boys' room upstairs so that three of the adventurers can stretch out up there (on two beds and a fair bit of floor space) and not have to lie on the dining table.
OOC:
As the fire dies down, each member of the party can share a little story or anecdote with the rest, if you wish.

As the group swaps stories, the younger children gradually fall asleep and their parents carry them upstairs, until it's only Abella, Elista, and Abel staying up as the fire has burned down to a soft glow of red coals. Abel announces that he and Abella will show the party the way to the stream in the morning, and they thank everyone for the stories, as well as for all the help they are giving their family, and they head upstairs to sleep.
Dec 5, 2023 5:46 am
Kragga is pleased to share an anecdote with the others, sharing a tale about Magic.

"Once upon a time in The Land of Black Ice, a wizard came across a fount of powerful oerthmagic. He used it greedily, however, sharing it with no one. At great expense, he erected a tower around the fount, but by the time he finished building it, the reservoir ran dry."

The moral of the story is that magic lasts longer if more people use it, each distinct spell pattern adding to the reservoir of energy. Magic must be used and shared, and not hoarded.

So sayeth the teachings of Boccob."
Last edited December 5, 2023 7:05 am
Dec 5, 2023 2:18 pm
Settling into a warm corner near the firelight, Albertus thinks about the ancient symbol of Pae.

"These ruins must be old indeed," he says in knightly contemplation. "And they were surely religious too. The GOOD kind, Pelor being a benign diety and all that. Or I guess, at least, whoever dropped the stone so long ago was."

Emerald-green eyes barely stay open, as sleep begins coming on. And the knight manages a brief nighttime tale.

"I’m reminded of a time I was saved in battle. I was skirmishing, with the Knights of Holy Shielding, over in Furyondy. A raider had assailed me, and just before striking me with what surely would’ve been a killing blow…my foe was felled by…well, by a mysterious warrior. He wasn’t one of us. He simply stood over me, and told me, ‘Pay it forward.’

"To this day, I don’t know who he was. But it was a moment when I realized, I must fight for those who cannot fight for themselves.

"Or at least, that’s the way I took it."

Albertus’ eyes again look over at the ancient stone. And the knight smiles.
Last edited December 5, 2023 2:21 pm
Dec 6, 2023 1:09 am
The next morning dawns slowly, with the sunlight diminished by the trees of the Dim Forest and diffused by the fog typical of these areas close to the Rushmoors. Elista and Abel rise with the dawn, tiptoeing around the supine adventurers as she starts a fire in the hearth and he takes the cauldron to fill it from a rain barrel outside. Once the fire is blazing and the cauldron is starting to steam, they get the kids to help with the rest. Abella collects several eggs, and Abel reaches up for the jar on the high shelf they reserve for special occasions: the remains of the last sack of oats they had bought from Hale Arneson, the miller in Hochoch. Emiless and Torren go out to milk the goats and gather morels and miner's lettuce, respectively.

Thus it is that, as the party rises and brings the chairs back downstairs, the Jarl family has a hot breakfast of omelette and porridge for everyone, with a bit of watered down mead (Abel apologizes; they're at the bottom of their last cask) to wash it down.

As soon as the pots and pans have been emptied of every last trace of food, Abel rises and says "Well, we'll be going now." Recognizing the signal, Abella dons an old, slightly-too-large cloak from the peg and hands an equally shabby one to her father. They lead the way outside. Abel takes up a stripped and oiled old branch that he uses as a staff and heads off into the woods towards the morning light, as best as anyone can see through the very light drizzle that quickly forms beads of moisture on clothing, hair, and packs.

The crofter and his family have cleared the underbrush near their homestead, and travel is quick on the thick layer of leaves that line the forest floor. Condensation drips from every leaf and branch, making a intermittent pattering to accompany your footfalls. Within ten minutes or so, you reach a small spring, which feeds into a tiny pool. Several small birds flutter up from the water's edge as you approach. A little rivulet of water drains from the pool down a channel to the northeast; Abel and Abella lead you down alongside this channel. Soon the way gets more difficult, as fallen branches and wiry shrubs show that you've reached the edges of the area that the Jarl family has cleared, and the party is forced to walk single file. At one point, the path narrows into a ravine as the little trickle of water spills down a stepped waterfall; with care each party member is able to descend the mossy rocks without slipping or catching any of their gear on an obstacle.
https://i.imgur.com/Waue15N.jpg
After another twenty minutes, the land levels out again, and Abel stops the group, somberly pointing to a fallen tree trunk. "This is as far as we go, Abella. Tell them the rest, and we'll head back."
OOC:
Interested characters can attempt a DC10 INT Nature check to fathom what his concern is.
Abella nods and steps forward. She smiles at the group and points along the direction of the water's flow. "If you follow the stream here, in a mile or so it flows into a larger brook. That's as far as I ever went. But Devek told me that, when you cross the brook, you turn left on the other side and follow it for a couple of miles. It forks there, where two streams meet. Follow the right stream and in a few minutes more you'll see the ruin amongst the trees. If you get to the...he said that if you got to the beech trees, you've gone too far."

The father and daughter bid you gods speed and good fortune, and they had back to their home. The girl's directions are fairly straightforward, compared to other directions you've each received in the past. Probably the only thing that has kept this ruin from being well-known are the rumors of man-eating beasts and monsters that inhabit the Dim, which discourage wider settlement and exploration.
OOC:
You may also attempt a DC15 WIS Survival check as you continue your trip.
As you proceed through the Dim Forest, how fast do you want to go: slow, moderate, or fast? The faster you go, the more noise you will make, which is more likely to attract the attention of anything in the woods, but the fewer chances you'll have to run into something. Slower travel means it'll take longer to reach the ruin, more care, less noise, but more time to possibly run into things in the woods.
Dec 6, 2023 1:28 am
Albertus bids find farewell to Abel and Abella. "Glad I got to know you both. Hopefully, our paths will cross again soon enough. Until then, be well."

Our knightly fellow strides ahead. Well, maybe he doesn’t stride, so much as slosh.. The morning mist and dew gathering along Al’s hard brown boots!

Thinking warily upon matters of nature and survival, Albertus suggests a medium-paced frolic through the woods. "I want to say, if we maintain a moderate pace, friends…our timing will be well enough, and we won’t get too fatigued in the process. Other thoughts…?"
Last edited December 6, 2023 2:38 am

Rolls

Nature - (1d20)

(14) = 14

Survival - (1d20+1)

(2) + 1 = 3

Dec 6, 2023 1:31 am
Theran walks quietly but briskly, staying towards the middle of the group. He makes many mental notes as they travel, intent to know the area they're passing through. "This is a beautiful region," he says softly and to no one in particular, smiling as all the drips drop.

When their guides give them instructions, he listens with rapt attention -- such things matter. Perhaps once he knows his companions better he won't worry as much, but for the moment the wood elf has to assume no one else will be able to get them home.
OOC:
Clearly the dice roller still loves me.
Last edited December 6, 2023 1:32 am

Rolls

Nature (INT) - (1d20+1)

(8) + 1 = 9

Survival (WIS) - (1d20+5)

(7) + 5 = 12

Dec 6, 2023 2:04 am
Aanbo gazed upon the fallen tree that defined the boundary of their host. He considers that trees must fall all the time in a wild forest, so for Master Abel to distinctly pick this particular one might lend some insight into the woods, perhaps clues to the reported owlbears.

"Thank you, noble sir,"
Aanbo says as thanks before Abel and Abella depart. "Whichever way the land takes us, I hope to find you again."

Rolls

Nature DC 10 - (1d20+1)

(7) + 1 = 8

Survival DC 15 - (1d20+3)

(18) + 3 = 21

Dec 6, 2023 7:50 am
Kragga observes the fallen tree with concern. Such a thing could be an ill omen on a journey.

Kragga is silent during the parting words, letting Al and the others do the talking. He does make a courteous bow to display his gratitude. Once Abel and Abella have departed, he confers with the others about their plan.

"A moderate pace is acceptable," he concurs with Al.

Rolls

Nature Check DC10 - (1d20+2)

(5) + 2 = 7

Surivival Check DC15 - (1d20)

(11) = 11

Dec 6, 2023 7:42 pm
"Yes, a moderate pace please." Joseph says, knowing that still means walking twice as fast as everyone else.

Rolls

Nature - (1d20+1)

(4) + 1 = 5

Survival - (1d20+4)

(13) + 4 = 17

Dec 6, 2023 9:06 pm
Albertus sees the fallen tree trunk, which appears to have fallen some time previously, as it's crumbling from rot. But peering a little closer, he recognizes that only the mossy bark of the tree had rotted. The inside is still firm wood, exposed by the savage effort of some large clawed beast that has ripped the hard wood apart. The others had shared about their encounter with an owlbear: this may be a sign that one remains in the area.
https://i.imgur.com/Waue15N.jpg
As the party progresses at a moderate pace through the brush and bracken, Aanbo's keen eyes note traces of something else's passage: broken ferns here, a bit of scraped moss on a brookside rock there. Jonathan also notices that something has passed this way before the party. Eventually there is a gap in the trees and a shallow place by the water, in which the monk and rogue spot a few neat tracks going in both directions: the footprints of a small human wearing rope sandals. They agree that it's likely to be the path that Devek took, and the mud was thick enough in this spot that his footprints haven't been completely erased by the drizzle yet, even though the teenager last passed through here days ago. Now knowing what to look for, the party begins to follow these tracks, and the way through the forest becomes a little bit easier.

After crossing the stream, Devek's path diverges from Abella's directions a bit: instead of following the headwaters, it cuts directly north through the trees away from the water's edge. After a bit of debate, the party decides to follow Devek's track for a bit, confident that Theran can easily return them to the water if they lose the path.

But the way is relatively clear, and there are many signs of Devek's passing: occasional footprints still visible beneath the fronds of huge ferns, broken leaves that show his passing. Away from the water, there is no sound other than the clanking of gear and the trudging footfalls of the party. The woods seem muted with the moisture, hanging thick about you, somewhere between a sprinkle and a mist. Soon enough you see a darker shape amidst the trees: the remains of a large building, perhaps five times the height of Ogbar or Kragga, overgrown with foliage: trees and ferns that have rooted on every horizontal surface, tendrils of creeping ivy that has grown up many of the vertical surfaces. You stop to consider the shape while it is still half-obscured by the thick air. There is no sound from the ruin. Devek's tracks continue in a straight line toward it.

Rolls

Mysterious rolls to no sinister purpose - (3d20)

(1212) = 15

Dec 6, 2023 9:50 pm
Kragga will state his intention to scout the perimeter, and with anyone who wishes to join him he will cautiously walk around the outside of the building, looking for entrances (especially noting where Devek's tracks intersect with the building's exterior) and structural weaknesses in the sides of the building. He will also approach the side of the building and try to cut and clear away some of the foliage with his dagger to investigate what the walls of the building are made of.
Dec 6, 2023 9:53 pm
OOC:
Can Joseph see inside, or shall I light a torch?
Dec 7, 2023 12:31 am
Aanbo joins Kragga in the perimeter search, for two sets of eyes are better than one. He is not much use in cutting away foliage, but he offers his quarterstaff to push or poke aside stubborn brambles.

"I did not see any extra footprints," says Aanbo. "At least we won't have to worry about trying to find someone else."
Dec 7, 2023 12:40 am
As Aanbo takes a turn at the foliage with his staff, Kragga takes the opportunity to cast Mage Armor. Extending his arcane focus, he makes the arcane signs and speaks aloud the words "Aegis arcanum, embrace my presence." The space around him ripples like the air over a fire as the Mage Armor takes near-invisible form over his vestments, just in case the vines turn out to be the man-eating kind.
Dec 7, 2023 2:07 am
Albertus gazes emerald eyes upon Kragga with knightly approval. He had aided the half-orcish fellow in defending a northern village from raiders, and has been ever-impressed with his friend’s arcane prowess. Our knightly fellow hasn’t met very many orcs of high intellect, and Kragga certainly defies, and indeed exceeds, all such expectations!

I can light a torch if needed. I’ll almost certainly need one, myself. We must be cautious friends, if there’s an owl ear in the area. And we also must be quick in our steps, lest poor Delvek could be in real danger!

Albertus lights a torch if needed, annd otherwise readies his trusty sword. Stuff about to get real.
Last edited December 7, 2023 2:08 am
Dec 7, 2023 7:04 am
Xana reassures Albertus. "Nothing to worry about here, new one! There isn't much that can get by me. I'll protect you from any dangers that may be around the corner, good sir, or my name isn't Xana Beren!" Mid-way through her conversation, she gets distracted by the play of light on nearby leaves and the sounds of nature around them. She smiles, and finds herself subconsciously searching the skies and the ground for any critters to have a nice chat with before remembering that they were all standing around expectantly. "What a truly wonderful day! What were you saying?" She looks back at Albertus.
Dec 7, 2023 2:15 pm
Watching the others as they go about their business, Theran eventually moves forward to check the entryway to the ruins.
Dec 7, 2023 5:39 pm
As the party has chosen which path they have taken, I am wrapping up this thread and will continue the narrative in the next thread, "The Forest Ruin (1.5)."
Dec 7, 2023 8:24 pm
OOC:
Woo hoo!
Last edited December 8, 2023 3:56 am

Thread locked