What Comes Next (OOC)

Nov 21, 2023 5:55 am
Out of character chatter about What Comes Next can go here to avoid cluttering up the Roleplay thread.
OOC:
Use the OOC tag in your posts in the Roleplay thread to clarify what is happening or suggest moves.
This is for longer questions and answers related to that Roleplay, general rules questions not answered in the Help! thread can go in General.

Add a link back to the post in question so we can have context. After posting you can right-click on the orange header and select 'copy link address' (or whatever your browser calls it), then paste that in your OOC post.
Nov 25, 2023 11:58 am
Can we say that Albert has bought a new backpack and some traveling supplies off screen, or would we need to play that out? It seems a bit insignificant and might hold up progress.
Nov 25, 2023 12:49 pm
We can assume you have found replacement gear. The village has supplied your immediate needs. [ref].

You are welcome to play out as much of this as you want.
Nov 27, 2023 8:22 am
Going to post a reply later today :)
Nov 28, 2023 7:59 am
It's really hard to give our characters money, vague. You're going to have to try harder :P
Nov 28, 2023 8:01 am
I noticed that. :)
Nov 28, 2023 8:09 am
@Airshark, what do we do with the option of adding an NPC? I like the idea of bringing Theo or Daryl since we know them already. Lady is a bit of a mystery still, but getting to know her might also be fun.
Nov 28, 2023 8:19 am
TheGenerator says:
... I like the idea of bringing Theo or Daryl since we know them already. ...
Since it sounds like you are going with the captain for the first part, you would have Theo along and can decide later if he will be coming with you further.

You can also have Daryl come with for that first part —either on Theo's invitation or yours— and decide later if he is going on with you afterwards. If you end up joining a caravan and heading back this way, you could drop him off at home again if needed.
TheGenerator says:
... Lady is a bit of a mystery still, but getting to know her might also be fun. ...
The players can let me know if you want someone like her to be a fun hindrance or challenge to that party, or a pure benefit. Travelling companion NPCs need not be something the characters want, but what to they know about storytelling? :)
Dec 2, 2023 8:25 pm
TheGenerator says:
@Airshark, what do we do with the option of adding an NPC? I like the idea of bringing Theo or Daryl since we know them already. Lady is a bit of a mystery still, but getting to know her might also be fun.
Airshark? Any opinions on this?
Dec 3, 2023 5:06 am
Sorry, I forgot.

Yes. Daryl and/or Theo for me.
Dec 4, 2023 10:18 pm
Just an idea: roald gets a leather belt engraved with ancient symbols. Decorated with polished copper studs.
I thought that if at any given point he achieves a new level. The cupper can turn out to be gold.

I'm also happy with the belt without the golden copper.
Dec 5, 2023 8:26 am
Airshark says:
... achieves a new level. The cupper can turn out to be gold.
To what end? To 'pay' for the level? Let's not think like that.

If you have some other reason behind that, then we can work towards it. But why is that belt significant now? How does it make your life better now? (Why does Phil think you would like it?)
Dec 5, 2023 8:45 am
Just thought it would be nice to not knowingly carry around an expensive object, that way there is no need to "find" a 1000 pieces of silver (I forgot how much a level costs). But as I said, just an idea.

If it has to be something that improves roald's life now... Maybe a hunting bow would come in handy. I see there are also guns available in the equipment list. I don't think we encountered one before, so those are probably very rare. They are probably more effective in scaring people away than doing actual damage :). So a bow for Roald please.

about the other items: with the cloack, boots, wash-up and adventure gear, I don't think I will exceed 60s. Roald still has his glowing sword and dagger, so he's fine for now.
Dec 5, 2023 9:09 am
Airshark says:
... Just thought it would be nice to not knowingly carry around an expensive object ...
That is indeed a cool concept. I expect we can do that as well, with any item, but, of course, it is more cool when it is an item that has some history (like being given by a friend).
Airshark says:
... If it has to be something that improves roald's life now ...
It does not have to be, it does not have to be anything mechanical at all —take Albert's booze :)— but Phil thinks it is a worthy reward for your saving her life, so don't insult her. :)
Airshark says:
... guns ... I don't think we encountered one before, so those are probably very rare. ...
And the ammo and powder are even rarer. If we are interested in seeing more guns, then we can have them be a bit more prevalent in the new area we are going to? It is up to you guys.
Airshark says:
... probably more effective in scaring people away than doing actual damage ...
They do the same damage as bows and such. Their value is mainly in the fiction, as you say: loud noises are scary. Their 'cost' is also mainly in the fiction since it is relatively easy to make new arrows, and even shot ('bullets') can be made without too much trouble, but making gunpowder is currently beyond your abilities, so that will have to be rationed very carefully till you find a source, it is also dangerous to transport.

That said. A gun with a little power is well within the bounds of what Phil might have for you, if you want it. Just don't accidentally blow your own head (or even foot) off while learning how to use it. :)
Airshark says:
... So a bow for Roald please. ...
Sure, if that is what you want. And we can have it turn out to be more than meets the eye at some point.
Airshark says:
... Roald still has his glowing sword and dagger ...
And he still has Armour, which was half of your starting gold. So I don't expect replacing backpacks and cloaks (maybe Lady also has a special cloak for you? Feel free to add that.) and such to come anywhere near exceeding your 'budget'.

We can also treat this a bit like Adventuring Gear in Dungeon World:
Adventuring gear is a collection of useful mundane items such as chalk, poles, spikes, ropes, etc. When you rummage through your adventuring gear for some useful mundane item, you find what you need and mark off a use.

So you can declare later that there is something in the stuff you got that is useful to solve the problem you face now.
Dec 5, 2023 9:16 am
I do think the way dungeon world handles this is nice.

Lady giving Roald a new cloak is a great idea. I'll write something tonight. Tx.

And about the guns, no need to bring them into the game in the future. If it fits the story, no problem, but I'm totally fine without them.
Dec 5, 2023 9:21 am
Airshark says:
... guns, no need to bring them into the game in the future. If it fits the story, no problem, but I'm totally fine without them.
I had not thought about them since the start of this game. I admit I am surprised that none of the new characters took them and forced us to bring them into the story.

Now that I have mentioned it I will give it some more thought. It might be interesting to have the new 'country' we are heading to be a place where there are guns. We can always drop the subject when we come home since we will no longer have access to powder.
Dec 5, 2023 3:38 pm
vagueGM says:
take Albert's booze
Take Albert's booze and suffer Raynor's wrath! 😡
😜
Airshark says:
I do think the way dungeon world handles this is nice.
I agree. I like the abstraction of the adventuring gear. If we can implement this, I'd be pretty happy. I'm horrible at writing down a list of gear. I find it tedious.

Is it ok if I get Albert's broomstick upgraded? I'm thinking a new coat of varnish and maybe reinforced tips? Not sure if that would be possible in this village. I can also wait for it till we get back to town with the captain.
Dec 5, 2023 6:39 pm
TheGenerator says:
Is it ok if I get Albert's broomstick upgraded? I'm thinking a new coat of varnish and maybe reinforced tips? ...
Why don't we find somewhere that can varnish/treat the wood, go there and see what has happened to the tips already?
Dec 6, 2023 4:11 pm
If I exceeded the budget or misinterpreted something I don't mind changing or deleting the last posts .
Or maybe you had plans for swordless Daryl? (Sounds like a pirate's name)
Dec 6, 2023 4:19 pm
Airshark says:
If I exceeded the budget or misinterpreted something I don't mind changing or deleting the last posts .
How much did you give him?
Airshark says:
... Or maybe you had plans for swordless Daryl? ...
No plans, it was just a thing that seemed appropriate at the time. Solving that problem is your job. :)
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.