Hailing frequencies open (Intro & OOC chat)

load previous
Jul 12, 2024 8:10 pm
1) She does. NEVER, EVER, tell RB that they are owned. =)

2) "Property" doesn't receive salary. They will go along for the ride and work for free.

3) The Ramirez Salvage Team. Maya will sell and handle all that.
Jul 12, 2024 8:26 pm
htech says:
1) She does. NEVER, EVER, tell RB that they are owned. =)

2) "Property" doesn't receive salary. They will go along for the ride and work for free.

3) The Ramirez Salvage Team. Maya will sell and handle all that.
Those were the answers I expected (including the NEVER EVER say that to RB part). However, I wanted to make sure it was explicitly stated.

BTW, is RB "he", "she", or "they". You just used "they" in this post, but I thought I'd see "he" before. I just want to make sure Hank uses the correct pronoun.

Also, Hank will offer to help with any Admin surrounding any of the sale and/or handling of her friends remains. She would, of course, drive all of it, but he could try to help with any fussy bureaucracy she needs to get out of the way. If she wants.

New question: Are we installing the recovered core into the Celestial Voyager? I think we determined this is a relic Spike drive, correct? If so, it would seem to be something that would be advantageous for us. If not something we are expected to do, from a meta-game perspective. :-D

Additional question: We recovered two relic artifacts: a working full AI and a theoretically working Spike drive. I can't imagine those things are anything less than priceless. Does this mean we'll have various governments and agencies crawling up our various orifices if anyone finds out? It just seems like something we should be on the lookout for ...
Last edited July 12, 2024 8:27 pm
Jul 12, 2024 8:31 pm
Oh if we can I WANT it in the Celestial Voyager. A relic Spike 2 (I think) Drive? Yeah.
Jul 12, 2024 9:02 pm
In theory, I agree. But, if having it means that we're going to have the equivalent of the FBI, CIA, Air Force, Space Force, NIA, and several major megacorporations all trying to hunt us down, it's appeal starts to diminish some.
Jul 12, 2024 9:05 pm
It is rightful salvage, so legally obtained, not an illegal artifact being smuggled and hidden so I think we'd be ok... From that direction at least..
And no special properties I know of so ?
Now our AI friend... That will get people interested.
Jul 12, 2024 10:32 pm
Spike 4. Unfortunately it just fits a Frigate and the Celestial is too big for it.

It is also just the Core, but you can easily buy the remaining equipment for a starship fitting. It's also legal. Although rare, there are other ships with those drives.

It sells for 300,000 credits, if you don't wanna keep it. You won't be able to buy something similar later, though.
Edit:
Quote:
Now our AI friend... That will get people interested.
Indeed.
Jul 12, 2024 10:37 pm
How much would a starship fitting be?
Jul 12, 2024 11:41 pm
100,000 credits to turn this core into a "Drive-4 upgrade" starship fitting for a Frigate. It takes 4 power, 6 mass from the Frigate.

You can keep the Core in the cargo holds until you get another ship... Maybe a Free Merchant hull. ;)
Jul 13, 2024 12:30 am
Quote:
BTW, is RB "he", "she", or "they". You just used "they" in this post, but I thought I'd see "he" before. I just want to make sure Hank uses the correct pronoun.
They/them. It's a genderless robot, after all. =)

Maybe I used "he" (didn't notice) because of my dumb Portuguese brain that is limited to he/she. =D

All robots are "he" in portuguese.
Jul 13, 2024 1:09 am
Hey, anyone who has a second language has one more than me.
And you're trying. I say A+
Jul 13, 2024 2:28 am
Thanks! And I could have simply misremembered, too.

I agree with PhoenixScientist. Your English is great!
Jul 14, 2024 3:48 am
I like Peter's question, and calling Hank out on that is very fair game. He has an answer for it, but it will have to wait for tomorrow. It is a great question!

In fact, Hank wants questions like that for something this important. If he's wrong he wants to know before he makes the mistake.
Last edited July 14, 2024 3:49 am
Jul 14, 2024 4:48 am
Yeah I think it’s fair to ask more, just because something is ancient we shouldn’t trust it unconditionally… I think specially if it is ancient.
Jul 14, 2024 2:10 pm
I don't think we should trust it until it is proven trust-worthy. (I don't think we should trust *any* NPC until given reason to. For example, in the initial encounter with VIREN, Hank didn't trust what it was saying until it surrendered. For it to do that meant that it viewed the threat as incredibly real, ergo it could be trusted for that assessment.) HOWEVER, it could be incredibly helpful and it is a risk worth taking as long as we can mitigate that risk. Thus the suggestion for the half-step: let it prove itself first, then start expanding from there. I'll explain more in-character at the appropriate point. The simple summation is this: we are going on an incredibly risky trip with or without the ancient artifact. Is the risk introduced by using the AI outweighed by the risk reduction it provides while doing the trip?

An ancillary question of note: Jil's in-character description shows she is very nervous and incredibly afraid of Elder and Elder-tech. If we keep the AI, we may lose Jil entirely as she isn't willing to take the risk of the presence of the AI because of her stated backstory. Are we willing to lose our only other skilled pilot to keep the AI? (Hank and Corbin can "pilot". But the only two with real skill are Douklan and Jil.) That is a legitimate question to throw in there.

And, while asking questions, there is one more: The drive was stated to be a frigate drive. We have a cruiser. Is it even possible for us to use the drive? If this was standard Postech, the answer would be "No". Is the answer different because it is Pretech?

(I feel it is appropriate to make these last two points here because they are meta-game questions. And I tried to keep my comments on the first point meta, too, so the more in-character stuff waits for the in-character discussion.)
Jul 14, 2024 2:59 pm
[Comment moved to appropriate thread]
Last edited July 14, 2024 3:52 pm
Jul 14, 2024 3:23 pm
Quote:
The drive was stated to be a frigate drive. We have a cruiser. Is it even possible for us to use the drive? If this was standard Postech, the answer would be "No". Is the answer different because it is Pretech?
Nope. You need a Frigate. The tech is too advanced for you to modify or even scale up/down. Drives of rating 4 and higher are generally TL5 (Elders) artifacts that cannot be built on most modern worlds.
Jul 14, 2024 3:26 pm
PS: Please move meta-game discussion for side-threads. I answered above but will try to avoid this in the future.

We should keep the main OOC thread for OOC praises or feedback (including the one for Peter's player), real life updates, etc to keep its volume reasonably low and/or extremely relevant. This is one of our main threads, although not rate limited because of its importance.
Jul 16, 2024 9:12 pm
Prepping my next reaponce if noone gets to it first: part of the agreement was that the spike drive is ours because it was a tool for our AI"friend" to get the info where it was supposed to go?
Jul 18, 2024 4:35 pm
I am sorry, but I will be out of pocket for a couple of days. I might not be able to post until this weekend. I'll update when I get back.
Jul 21, 2024 12:08 am
Update: The reason for the trip was because my mom fell very ill. She didn't make it. As such, I won't be able to post until Monday or Tuesday. I'll be good to go after that. (This stuff really helps keep my mind on other things, so it is a help with dealing with the loss.)
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.