Daryen character generation

load previous
Dec 6, 2023 1:56 am
I was gonna go for Agent, but now that I think about it, I think I should go for Merchant/Broker. I figure he has a natural transition to that. He would spend that term ground-based, but transition to full Free Trader when I age out in two years. On the other hand, I'm not sure what skills you're gonna need for the group. Of course this all assumes I make any of my application rolls going forward. Those last two years may end up just being Drifter ...
Dec 6, 2023 9:23 am
You gotta a 20 there! Choose three skills from the whole list to receive +1 for this term.

About skills need by the group... All your characters should be quite capable in a lot of situations (if the dice don't @#$%# you after chargen as well). I deliberately made the rules so each of you has more than a dozen skills, at least in the first levels. I also have a lot of skill points given by events where I nudge towards a balanced crew. So don't worry about it and think only about what makes sense for Hank. :)

Your last two years may be with another player, so please stop after you choose your career and after your successful application roll. If you fail, choose another and roll for it (or choose drifter). Drifter and Merchant are natural ways to get away from the planet, specially aboard the Celestial Voyager (see Katzle and Esidrix threads).

I have plans if you join the Agent career as well, so choose what you think is best for Hank (or what the dice let you do. ;)
Dec 6, 2023 2:08 pm
I am going to take Academics(Elder), Computers, and Pilot. There are so many good options, but I want the addition to Computers, have an actual bonus with flying cars, and Need the Academics(Elder) for the rest of his story. (Note that while you are not differentiating, his pilot skill is with flying planetary vehicles. I.e. air/rafts, flitters, flying cars, grav vehicles, or whatever they are called in this universe. Personally, I always want to revert to "air/rafts".)

For the next career, I will let the dice decide. I will try for Agent, then Merchant, then default to drifter if I utterly fail. Regardless, he is leaving the corporate world. Once the die rolls are made in successive updates to this point, I will make one more post that will cover some details of his Corporate career to the job switch. I will fold the roles into the narrative depending on how things turn out.

First, I'm going for Agent. Despite the higher DC, Education gives the better odds ...
OK, that didn't work ...

Second, I'm going for Merchant. This is just a straight Education roll ...
And this one worked! I even made it with an unmodified roll, though had I tried with Charisma, I would have failed! Fortunately, they were not judging him just on his personal magnetism.

I will write the follow-up post soon. It is just to give some background on how his career change worked with a little extra personal info involved. It will also explain the weird skill I chose. The background will stop when he succeeds with his application to the Merchants.

Do note that I have NOT chosen my single level-0 Merchant skill. My only options are Gunnery, Streetwise, and Zero-G as I have everything else already.
Last edited December 6, 2023 2:39 pm

Rolls

Apply to Agent (Education) DC12 - (1d20+3)

(2) + 3 = 5

Apply to Merchant DC10 - (1d20+3)

(10) + 3 = 13

Dec 6, 2023 8:38 pm
After having reconciled himself to seeing his dreams die, Hank was disappointed and despondent at being relegated to a life of being a wage slave like his parents before him. However, after a couple months he reconciled with his fate and chose to dive into his corporate life. Over that first year he found acceptance of his situation. During that time he met a fellow co-worker with whom he found a connection. They hit it off and soon began a serious relationship. Despite himself and his lost dreams, he had found contentment and no longer feared being corporate drone for his career.

During this time he did keep in contact with Dr. Stone and followed her career and research. Because of this, and because of his own research, he gained a surprising base of knowledge on what was and is know about the Elder. But this was just a hobby and he understood that and kept things with proper priority, focusing on his paying job and his relationships. As time progressed, he was able to get a promotion and increase his responsibilities. While he certainly was not moving into management, he still was gaining status and responsibilities.

With that increase in responsibility was an increase in access to more proprietary information within the corporation. With his computer and investigative skills he found out about illegal activities going on within the company. He also learned that his girlfriend was involved with the activities. He confronted her with what he found, and she insisted that he join them with the activity and help them more effectively cover it up. He told her he had to think about it. But really, he was unwilling to compromise himself that badly.

He took the opportunity given by his waffling to contact the authorities. He offered to help them investigate the impropriety, but they dismissed his offer and shunted him to the side while they investigated the situation. Realizing he now had no job, he immediately gathered his important belongings (while his girlfriend was still at work) and completely moved out of the only real city he had ever known. He moved the the startown instead.

When he got to the startown he immediately started looking for a new job while simultaneously providing his old job his zero hour notice of resignation. He got very fortunate and found work at a merchant trading company that valued his analyst and computer skills and appreciated that he had some familiarity with brokerage. So now he is working in a new company, in a new city, all while hoping no one comes looking for him.
Dec 6, 2023 9:03 pm
The dawn of a new day in the startown heralded unforeseen challenges for Hank. Unbeknownst to him, the tendrils of deceit had not released their grip entirely. His girlfriend, in a desperate attempt to cover her tracks, framed Hank for the very crimes he had exposed.

One evening, as the city lights flickered below, the police arrived at Hank's new residence. The once unremarkable analyst, now caught in the crosshairs of a sinister plot, found himself facing accusations that threatened to shatter the fragile stability he had rebuilt.

Released pending investigation a couple of days later, Hank's mind raced for an escape route. Just when the shadows of the past seemed poised to engulf him, a beacon of hope emerged—an unexpected savior in the form of the Celestial Voyager starship. It sought new crew members and was ready to embark on its celestial journey.
OOC:
What do you do?
Dec 6, 2023 10:11 pm
Hank signs on. He thought he had protected himself through his contact with the authorities, but that apparently wasn't sufficient. As a result, there is nothing left for him here. He applies for the crewman position, though he has no idea how he can be useful to them. Still, he gives it his best shot.

Assuming he gets the position, he packs up his meager possessions and boards the ship. Just before he leaves, he sends a copy of the recording he secretly made of his confrontation with his now former girlfriend to one of the investigators that visited him. He also sends a message to Dr. Stone thanking her for her long friendship and that he hopes he will meet her again in the future.
Dec 7, 2023 3:15 am
Since this isn't locked yet, I want to add a single note to complete this. I realize I forgot one last minor, but very important thing: he sends a farewell message to his parents.

He tells them he loves them and will miss them, but he has to go away. If fortune smiles on him, perhaps one day he will be able to see them again. Please give his love to his brother and sister. He thanks them for all they gave him and he hopes to make them proud.
Dec 7, 2023 8:52 am
Yeah, I thought this message was sent as well. :)

Thread locked