Daryen character generation

Nov 28, 2023 11:48 pm
Welcome! Please roll your attributes and let's begin!
Nov 29, 2023 9:06 pm
Well, let's get this started:

First, 4d6k3. Second, 3d6.

Rolls

Primary Roll 1 - (4d6h3)

(1254) = 11

Primary Roll 2 - (4d6h3)

(3151) = 9

Primary Roll 3 - (4d6h3)

(1165) = 12

Primary Roll 4 - (4d6h3)

(1243) = 9

Secondary Roll 1 - (3d6)

(544) = 13

Secondary Roll 2 - (3d6)

(164) = 11

Nov 29, 2023 9:26 pm
A lot of average rolls, but it works. =) Please assign them to your attributes and then choose your character name, pronoums, homeworld and describe your family, your childhood and adolescence. Use your rolled attributes as a reference/guideline.
Nov 29, 2023 9:47 pm
OK, wow. Those are some bad rolls. Not utter garbage rolls, but when literally every dropped roll is a 1 and I still have to keep a one half the time, these are terrible rolls. And my "best" roll is from the pure 3d6. Not expected.

Still, let's run with it. I suck and I embrace it!

Str - 9
Agi - 11
Wit - 12
Char - 9

Edu - 13
Soc - 11

Lesse, ...

Harold "Hank" Heron (he/him)

Hank is the unremarkable middle child of an unremarkable family who lives in an unremarkable city in an unremarkable country on an unremarkable world. His father is a nameless technician for the vast infrastructure; his mother is a nameless low-level flunkie in the bureaucracy of an unimportant company. He went to public schools and performed well enough and learned more than given credit for. He enjoyed athletics, but was never particularly good at any of it.

He could go into more detail, but no one cares.

Aspiring for more, he attempts to attend University.
Last edited November 29, 2023 9:48 pm
Nov 29, 2023 10:02 pm
Aging: Rolled an 11, so I get to start at age 31, meaning I need make one set of aging rolls.

Let's see what I get for my aging rolls ...

OK, failed only strength. Let's see the loss ...

Lose 2 strength, now I only have a 7, and every single strength roll is at -2.
Last edited November 29, 2023 10:09 pm

Rolls

Aging - (3d6)

(236) = 11

Str aging roll - (3d6)

(446) = 14

Dex aging roll - (3d6)

(361) = 10

Wit aging roll - (4d6)

(2532) = 12

Str loss roll - (1d3)

(2) = 2

Nov 29, 2023 10:13 pm
Well. That's what I call turning an unremarkable roll into something more. A lot of unremarkable! heheh. =)

You're good to go until you're 31. First, choose your 5 initial skills, at level 0, from the whole skill list, describing how/why you have them.

And as you said you wanna go for it, let's roll for University, Education DC10 in the sequence. Roll 1d20+2, due to your 15. =)

What major are you looking for? What skills do you wanna learn in it?
Nov 29, 2023 10:14 pm
Whoa, wait a little bit. You only age when you reach 31. You're still 18 :)

31 is when we will stop chargen. It's your ending age, not current. You start at 18. Sorry if it was not clear.
Nov 29, 2023 10:22 pm
Here are my five base skills:
- Athletics
- Bureaucracy
- Mechanics
- Pilot (flitter)
- Ranged Weapon

He tried athletics while growing up, but wasn't particular good at any of it. Despite that, he can competently throw, run, climb, swim, and even play some sports. He just isn't fast and can't do it for very long. In a burst, he can be surprisingly competent.

He learned about both of his parents trades while growing up, thus is competent at dealing with bureaucracies and mechanical things. He did actually pay attention to his parents.

In his late teen years, his family did have access to a flitter, which was not uncommon on his homeworld. As a result, he learned to pilot (and maintain) such vehicles.

He also learned how to handle and use personal weaponry available to citizens. Military weaponry is outside his experience, but he understands how to use and fire (with some accuracy) handguns and hunting long guns. (By "guns" I mean whatever is appropriate for his homeworld. They could be slug throwers, lasers, blasters, phasers, or whatever would be commonly used in that society. We can figure out the options later.)
Nov 29, 2023 10:27 pm
htech says:
Whoa, wait a little bit. You only age when you reach 31. You're still 18 :)

31 is when we will stop chargen. It's your ending age, not current. You start at 18. Sorry if it was not clear.
Oh, I know it doesn't take effect until then. But, I wanted to know where I was going to end up. While my character is only 18 now, I won't get to use him until he is 31. If I had failed everything and got a -2 or -3 to each, I would have bagged the character. Also, by knowing where he is going to end up, I now know I have to waste 2 years to make sure he ends up at Str 8 instead of Str 7. I wouldn't bother with that if I didn't know I was going to need it. It also means I know that he only has about 2-4 good years in him. He's done once he reaches 35.

(Your aging penalties are really harsh!)
Nov 29, 2023 10:35 pm
So, first thing he does is work for two years to get his strength up to 10. While it probably isn't the best way to start, I might as well get it done now (instead of finishing with it) so I can kill the -1 for all of chargen.

Hank is now 20 and has a Str of 10.

He then finally applies to university using EduDC10 ...

Not getting the hint, he isn't willing to immediately give up on his dreams. Another EduDC10 ...

And, whoo hoo, did he learn from his first failure and succeed!

Hank is now 24 (+1 year for the failed entry; +3 for the successful entry).

His two level-0 skills are Academics (Math) and Electronics.
His one level-1 skill is Computer.
Last edited November 29, 2023 10:44 pm

Rolls

Apply to University - (1d20)

(2) = 2

Try 2 for University - (1d20)

(20) = 20

Nov 29, 2023 10:36 pm
Actually, we will play most of those years. Events can (and will) need you to make rolls and tests, with your current attributes. They can also change them, not only your skills.

Unlike Travellers, we will actually play your University ;) Moreover, there is no survival rolls. You will begin the "main" adventure at 31. You won't roll aging after chargen.

So I will hide and ignore those rolls, ok?
Nov 29, 2023 10:39 pm
htech says:
Actually, we will play most of those years. Events can (and will) need you to make rolls and tests, with your current attributes. They can also change them, not only your skills.

Unlike Travellers, we will actually play your University ;)

So I will hide and ignore those rolls, ok?
Please feel free to hide them, but I'd really like to keep them long-term. I *barely* succeeded on the two I succeeded on. I really don't want to have to roll them all over again and completely ruin the character after chargen.

I really want to keep those rolls. I don't trust the Gamers Plane die roller to not completely screw me at the end.
Nov 29, 2023 10:41 pm
Hahaha. I'm here to protect you from the GP dice. Trust the system ;)
Nov 29, 2023 10:43 pm
By the way, you misunderstood. You only reduce your Strength if you roll above it. You actually failed 2 of then. (Wits and Agi) ;)

But let's ignore that. You roll 1d20+2 due to your Education, but I will keep those rolls, as the results are the same

Edit: My bad.
Nov 29, 2023 10:46 pm
htech says:
By the way, you misunderstood. You only reduce your Strength if you roll above it. ;)
I did. For Dex, I rolled a 10, have an 11, so succeeded. For Wit, I rolled a 12, have a 12, so succeeded barely. For Str, I rolled a 14 against my lowly 9 (or now 10). So, unless I spent a full 10 years working solely on my strength score, that roll fails.
Last edited November 29, 2023 10:48 pm
Nov 29, 2023 10:48 pm
This is definitely not a good chat platform. Sorry, you need to roll below to lose. The rationale is that it is easier to lose above average attributes. Let me check the rules again.
Nov 29, 2023 10:49 pm
htech says:
But let's ignore that. You roll 1d20+2 due to your Education, but I will keep those rolls, as the results are the same
I updated a prior message above. I failed to get into University. I then tried again and succeeded wildly. I chose my skills. Now I assume I need to wait before trying to graduate.
Nov 29, 2023 10:50 pm
Fixed it. Didn't really proofread that aging rule. Sorry ;)
Nov 29, 2023 10:53 pm
htech says:
This is definitely not a good chat platform. Sorry, you need to roll below to lose. The rationale is that it is easier to lose above average attributes. Let me check the rules again.
The rules specifically stated roll above. In that case, I would lose Dex, but keep Str. I can live with that, honestly. Either way, Wit is safe because I rolled it exactly! I will still keep the 2 years devoted to improving Str because I want to get rid of the -1, at least to start.
Nov 29, 2023 10:56 pm
As a summary, here is the current situation:

Str - 10
Agi - 11
Wit - 12
Char - 9

Edu - 13
Soc - 11

Skills:
Athletics-0, Bureaucracy-0, Mechanics-0, Pilot(Flitter)-0, Ranged Weapon(?)-0, Academics(Math)-0, Electronics-0
Computer-1

Hank is currently still in University, hoping he graduates without issue.
Last edited November 29, 2023 10:57 pm
Nov 29, 2023 10:58 pm

Str - 10
Agi - 11
Wit - 12
Char - 9

Edu - 15 (you receive +2 after enrollment)
Soc - 11

Max chargen age: 31 (born in 1204)

Skills:
Athletics-0, Bureaucracy-0, Mechanics-0, Pilot-0, Ranged Weapon-0, Academics(Math)-0, Electronics-0
(No need for specializations in Pilot and Ranged)

Computer-1
It is now time to start In Character posts. Let me prepare something so we can proceed.
Nov 30, 2023 12:06 am
Trade Era 1228, Day 63

Contitech University, Maryburg city, New Jordan
OOC:
"Trade Era 1228" marks the 1228th year since the establishment of the Interstellar Trade Commission and the creation of the interplanetary defense forces (Navy and Marines).
The sun had barely begun its ascent over Contitech University as Hank stirred from his dorm room. With a yawn, he donned his favorite hoodie, the one adorned with a fading logo from his hometown's flitter races. The campus was already alive with the hum of students on a mission.

As he traversed the campus, the familiar scent of coffee greeted him at every corner. The Computer Science building loomed ahead, its sleek architecture a stark contrast to the unremarkable cityscape he once called home.

Today's class was in the tech labs, where the rhythmic clatter of keyboards blended with animated discussions on software architecture. Hank's fingers danced across the keys, translating abstract problems into lines of code. Amidst his focused work, he occasionally stole glances at the clock, eagerly anticipating the end of the class—a step closer to graduation.

In his current assignment, he was supposed to use a University code library and simulate a starship's computer jump algorithm, but it was not working as Hank expected. In the midst of debugging, he stumbled upon an anomaly—a stray line of code that invoked an out of place configuration file. Intrigued, he followed the electronic trail and found a professor's access credentials. It was a security breach. He could use that to pass himself as a faculty member.
OOC:
What do you do?
Nov 30, 2023 3:09 am
OOC:
Do I know who the professor is? Do I like the professor? Or are these details I need to fill in while telling the story?
Nov 30, 2023 9:17 am
OOC:
You need to fill in. You can also create and roleplay friends and other NPCs if you wanna. As long as we don't contradict anything we wrote before, you can (should) write whatever you want. This is a collaborative storytelling game in a blank page. I'll say "Yes, and..." to whatever you go for, 99,9% of the time. :)
Nov 30, 2023 9:16 pm
OOC:
Sweet! I know how I'm running with this, at least initially, but I won't have time to type it out until tomorrow.
Dec 2, 2023 2:38 am
After being initially surprised by his discovery, Hank becomes curious over who this professor is, as he does not recognize the name. He becomes curious as to whether the professor is the victim or the actual perpetrator. With some more investigation, he can see that the professor is the victim of whatever was going on. However, what he sees implies that at least someone in the university's IT department was in on the effort, or it would have been detected by now. He then cleans up evidence of his discovery.

Once he is satisfied he should be good, and making sure his project now works, he investigates the professor. He finds that she is a leading research luminary on Elder research. Seeing that she is still on campus that day, he goes over to her office to talk with her.
OOC:
Ok, my thoughts here. Hank does not use the access. He is too close to graduation to want to screw it up. He wants to graduate because he succeeded, not because he cheated at the end. Since it looks like at least someone in IT is involved, he is going to tell the professor what he has found. He is asking for nothing to tell her this info, so he can't be seen as trying blackmail. (That is not what he wants.) However, if he can prove valuable to her, so much the better. Getting involved in a post-graduate research project would be really cool. If not, he still wants to do the right thing.
Dec 2, 2023 9:19 am
OOC:
Nice, let's go...
Quote:
He then cleans up evidence of his discovery.
Roll Computers + Wits, DC10, please. Let's see how you did there. =)
Quote:
Once he is satisfied he should be good, and making sure his project now works, he investigates the professor.
Receive Investigation-1 as part of this event.
Dec 2, 2023 5:13 pm
Ok, here's my roll ...

I did terrible. Since I did terrible (bad enough that I know I failed, but not bad enough to think I succeeded), Hank submits a trouble ticket after all. He keeps it generic and describes his attempt at a cleanup as just trying to fix things.
Last edited December 2, 2023 5:16 pm

Rolls

Computer cleanup - (1d20)

(6) = 6

Dec 2, 2023 5:25 pm
Quote:
Seeing that she is still on campus that day, he goes over to her office to talk with her.
Trade Era 1228, Day 63

Contitech University, Maryburg city, New Jordan

The corridors of Contitech University were buzzing with activity as Hank made his way to Professor Evelyn Stone's office.

Upon reaching the office, Hank hesitated for a moment before knocking. The door swung open, revealing a cluttered space filled with stacks of research papers and datapads related to the mysterious Elders.

"Professor Stone?" Hank inquired, unsure of what to expect.

The professor looked up from her work, her eyes narrowing inquisitively. "Yes, and you are?"
OOC:
What do you do?
Dec 4, 2023 1:49 am
"Professor, my name is Hank Heron. Just to cut to the chase, while working on my project I tripped across something that showed me your computer credentials. Your account has been completely compromised. I have reported this to university security, but wanted to tell you personally because I think someone in IT might have been in on it.

"I can't prove that last item, but that's what it looked like to me."
OOC:
The idea is that something about her Elder research has a lot of people she doesn't realize interested in her work. He can't prove that, so he doesn't say that directly.
Dec 4, 2023 2:07 am
BTW, I added a character sheet. I have to work on my avatar.

Also, I need a home world. It needs to be high-pop, reasonably hi-tech, yet non-descript. The equivalent of Tulsa OK or some other place that isn't bad, but isn't important, and no one ever goes there unless they have to. (I apologize to anyone from Tulsa.) Maybe Tulsoma?
Last edited December 4, 2023 2:12 am
Dec 4, 2023 9:11 am
Tulsoma is fine. :) Please submit your character to the game, it's not showing for me yet.
Dec 4, 2023 5:08 pm
OK, I created the character, but for the life of me, I cannot see how to "submit" it for anything. So ... any guidance on how to do that would be great!

Found it! And now submitted!

Still working on the avatar.
Last edited December 4, 2023 5:11 pm
Dec 5, 2023 12:41 am
Professor Evelyn Stone stared at Hank, a mixture of surprise and concern etched on her face. The news of her compromised credentials struck a chord of urgency within her.

"Hank Heron, was it?" she responded, her tone serious. "I appreciate your diligence, Mr. Heron. It's disconcerting, but unfortunately, not entirely surprising given the sensitivity of my research."

Hank's curiosity grew. "Your research? Is there something specific that might have made you a target?"

The professor hesitated, choosing her words carefully. "I delve into Elder research, ancient technology and knowledge that predates the establishment of the Interstellar Trade Commission. It's a niche field, but there are elements within and beyond the university who might find it… Intriguing. Do you have skills in digital forensics? If you want, I would like your help to investigate further, discreetly. I can secure a research grant for you until you graduate, theoretically for aiding me in predictive modeling, while in practice, your work would involve delving into this matter"
OOC:
Either way, roll for graduation. Also, choose and apply for a career. Your next event will consider both your choices and your rolls.
Dec 5, 2023 1:55 am
Hank accepts her offer.

Attempt to graduate ...

Edit: I would like to make a minor change to my university skills can I swap out Electronics for Investigate? That works better for the character and doesn't change any of the other stuff.

I'll be optimistic and assume that's OK. That means his Education is now 17, Academics(Math) and Ivestigate are each at 1, and Computer is at 2. A good solid base.

He wants to try for Scholar. So, now I'm rolling to get in ...

Ok, I failed that abysmally. Can I try again, or do I have to go somewhere else? (Either works. If he can, he will try one more time for Scholar. Otherwise, he heads off to be an Office Worker. Yes, Office Worker. I have a backup plan. :) )
Last edited December 5, 2023 2:15 am

Rolls

WITS - Graduate DC10 - (1d20+1)

(17) + 1 = 18

Scholar Application Roll DC12 - (1d20+3)

(1) + 3 = 4

Dec 5, 2023 2:53 am
Ok, I'll let you swap. It helps my plans as well. Your investigate is at 2, because of the event.

Yup. I'll give you one more try if you loose 1 year and write something In Character about it. Probably Professor Stone helped you, with your studies. If you fail, roll for the Corporate career in the next day (not year). Or Agent :)
Dec 5, 2023 6:07 pm
OOC:
OK, I am just winging this until I get some good rolls. Fortunately, I have a back-up plan to try before my actual back-up plan ...
Flush with excitement of his successful graduation, Hank immediately applied to be a research assistant at the university. He was pretty optimistic going in to apply, but it just didn't work out and he was rejected. He never got a good answer as to why, but he later learned that his association with Dr. Stone ended up hurting him in his attempt. The adminstration did not want anyone beholden to Dr. Stone to get one of the positions. He was gutted first by the failure, then by the reason for the rejection.

Hank took off a month or so, then contented himself doing small programming and research jobs ad hoc for others and his mother. After about 4 months, Dr. Stone let him know about an expedition she was going to lead and encouraged him to apply. She said she didn't have direct control on the application process, but encouraged him to apply anyway. Rather than be an in-university assistant position, it would be a full in-the-field research position. Excited by the prospects, Hank applied himself to preparing for the application. It took the rest of a full year before he was able to apply. (... applying now ...) Unfortunately, he was still not able to overcome the politics of the university to get the position.

However, during his research he found that the expedition was actually being run by the ITC exploration division. While Hank was very leery of working directly for the government, he decided to take a chance and apply for a junior archaeologist position that would put him in position to join the expedition through another avenue. (... applying now ...) Unfortunately, that was an utter disaster. His ambition and what he was trying to do was apparently too transparent for the managers interviewing him, so they rejected him out of hand.

Now, humbled, with his ambitions thoroughly crushed, he gave up on his dreams and simply applied as an analyst to the corporation his mother worked at, figuring it was a safe alternative as his final back-up plan. (... applying now ...) With some behind-the-scenes help from his mother (that he never found out about), he got the position. He then reluctantly headed off to his preordained destiny to be a wage-slave as a faceless cog in a nameless corporation.
OOC:
Yes, I know things will get more interesting for the poor guy, as I have six more years to figure out. But right now, Hank is pretty thoroughly defeated. As an aside, I am intentionally not naming the corporation he now works for. The point is that it is just like dozens of other nameless, soul-sucking corporations out there. It doesn't *deserve* a name. :D Also, since he is pretty low right now, I am thinking of adding to the misery ...
Last edited December 5, 2023 6:24 pm

Rolls

Apply to Field Research Position DC12 - (1d20+3)

(6) + 3 = 9

Apply to ITC Exploration DC10 - (1d20+1)

(1) + 1 = 2

Apply as a Corporate Analyst - (1d20+3)

(10) + 3 = 13

Dec 5, 2023 6:29 pm
Extra question: Can I apply for my next career *before* quitting my old career? That way I still have a job if I fail the application? I mean we *both* can see how well my rolls are working ...

Hank is now 25. I have been updating the character page as we go along.

Looking forward, I will end up either as an Agent or a Drifter. (His corporate career will not end well.) It all depends on how that future application ends up rolling. My bet right now is on Drifter ...

EDIT: I will update the avatar later. But this one is perfect for him *now*.
Last edited December 5, 2023 6:34 pm
Dec 6, 2023 12:42 am
OOC:
Welcome to the corporate career! I see that you already wrote your level-0 skills, so that's okay.
Trade Era 1229, Day 210

Somewhere unremarkable, Maryburg city, New Jordan

Hank found himself a faceless cog in the intricate machinery of the nameless corporation. The sterile hum of fluorescent lights and the rhythmic tap of keyboards became the backdrop to his newfound reality. With a sigh, he glanced at the clock, noting the slow progression of time. The stack of paperwork on his desk beckoned, a tower of reports and analyses waiting to be dissected and compiled.
Receive Bureaucracy +1 as part of this event.
A couple of hours later, he stood up and navigated through the cubicle maze to attend a client meeting, his aspirations for groundbreaking research now replaced by the mundanity of everyday corporate life.

Seated across from the client, a middle-aged executive with an affinity for dull questions, Hank feigned enthusiasm as he sifted through data and graphs. The client's words were a monotonous symphony of routine inquiries that seemed to stretch endlessly.
Receive Deception +1 as part of this event.
As the clock ticked, Hank channeled his unremarkable past, drawing on the patience honed through the trials of rejection and disappointment.
Receive Will +2 as part of this event.
He skillfully danced through the tedious queries, providing meticulous answers that betrayed none of the disillusionment he harbored within. His dreams of archeological expeditions and groundbreaking discoveries were now distant echoes, drowned out by the banality of the corporate queries before him.

Occasionally, he stole a glance at the framed picture of his parents on his desk, a poignant reminder of the unremarkable roots that anchored him to reality. The client droned on, and Hank nodded at the appropriate intervals, his mind occasionally drifting to the untrodden paths he had once aspired to explore.

In the midst of the client's inquiries about profit margins and market trends, a spark of resilience flickered within Hank. He realized that even in the face of the mundane, he could carve out spaces of significance. With a subtle shift in perspective, he approached the client's questions not as tedious tasks but as opportunities to find kernels of intrigue within the ordinary.
Receive Wits +2 as part of this event.
As the meeting concluded, Hank exchanged pleasantries with the client, the door closing behind them. The afternoon sun dipped below the cityscape outside and the pulse of the corporate machinery persisted, a steady beat that echoed the passage of hours. With each completed task, he felt the weight of the routine.
OOC:
Well, ok, you can apply for another career without leaving your job. Please give me an 1d4 (duration of this corporate term) and 1d20 (for the lists of available skills, so you can choose 2 of them). And your application roll
Dec 6, 2023 1:45 am
Cool! Got some good stuff there!

Here are the dice rolls for this term ...

Since the term is a full four years, I am going to throw in a major complication during that time that will drive him towards his next career.
Last edited December 6, 2023 1:58 am

Rolls

Duration of Term - (1d4)

(4) = 4

Skills Roll - (1d20)

(20) = 20

Dec 6, 2023 1:56 am
I was gonna go for Agent, but now that I think about it, I think I should go for Merchant/Broker. I figure he has a natural transition to that. He would spend that term ground-based, but transition to full Free Trader when I age out in two years. On the other hand, I'm not sure what skills you're gonna need for the group. Of course this all assumes I make any of my application rolls going forward. Those last two years may end up just being Drifter ...
Dec 6, 2023 9:23 am
You gotta a 20 there! Choose three skills from the whole list to receive +1 for this term.

About skills need by the group... All your characters should be quite capable in a lot of situations (if the dice don't @#$%# you after chargen as well). I deliberately made the rules so each of you has more than a dozen skills, at least in the first levels. I also have a lot of skill points given by events where I nudge towards a balanced crew. So don't worry about it and think only about what makes sense for Hank. :)

Your last two years may be with another player, so please stop after you choose your career and after your successful application roll. If you fail, choose another and roll for it (or choose drifter). Drifter and Merchant are natural ways to get away from the planet, specially aboard the Celestial Voyager (see Katzle and Esidrix threads).

I have plans if you join the Agent career as well, so choose what you think is best for Hank (or what the dice let you do. ;)
Dec 6, 2023 2:08 pm
I am going to take Academics(Elder), Computers, and Pilot. There are so many good options, but I want the addition to Computers, have an actual bonus with flying cars, and Need the Academics(Elder) for the rest of his story. (Note that while you are not differentiating, his pilot skill is with flying planetary vehicles. I.e. air/rafts, flitters, flying cars, grav vehicles, or whatever they are called in this universe. Personally, I always want to revert to "air/rafts".)

For the next career, I will let the dice decide. I will try for Agent, then Merchant, then default to drifter if I utterly fail. Regardless, he is leaving the corporate world. Once the die rolls are made in successive updates to this point, I will make one more post that will cover some details of his Corporate career to the job switch. I will fold the roles into the narrative depending on how things turn out.

First, I'm going for Agent. Despite the higher DC, Education gives the better odds ...
OK, that didn't work ...

Second, I'm going for Merchant. This is just a straight Education roll ...
And this one worked! I even made it with an unmodified roll, though had I tried with Charisma, I would have failed! Fortunately, they were not judging him just on his personal magnetism.

I will write the follow-up post soon. It is just to give some background on how his career change worked with a little extra personal info involved. It will also explain the weird skill I chose. The background will stop when he succeeds with his application to the Merchants.

Do note that I have NOT chosen my single level-0 Merchant skill. My only options are Gunnery, Streetwise, and Zero-G as I have everything else already.
Last edited December 6, 2023 2:39 pm

Rolls

Apply to Agent (Education) DC12 - (1d20+3)

(2) + 3 = 5

Apply to Merchant DC10 - (1d20+3)

(10) + 3 = 13

Dec 6, 2023 8:38 pm
After having reconciled himself to seeing his dreams die, Hank was disappointed and despondent at being relegated to a life of being a wage slave like his parents before him. However, after a couple months he reconciled with his fate and chose to dive into his corporate life. Over that first year he found acceptance of his situation. During that time he met a fellow co-worker with whom he found a connection. They hit it off and soon began a serious relationship. Despite himself and his lost dreams, he had found contentment and no longer feared being corporate drone for his career.

During this time he did keep in contact with Dr. Stone and followed her career and research. Because of this, and because of his own research, he gained a surprising base of knowledge on what was and is know about the Elder. But this was just a hobby and he understood that and kept things with proper priority, focusing on his paying job and his relationships. As time progressed, he was able to get a promotion and increase his responsibilities. While he certainly was not moving into management, he still was gaining status and responsibilities.

With that increase in responsibility was an increase in access to more proprietary information within the corporation. With his computer and investigative skills he found out about illegal activities going on within the company. He also learned that his girlfriend was involved with the activities. He confronted her with what he found, and she insisted that he join them with the activity and help them more effectively cover it up. He told her he had to think about it. But really, he was unwilling to compromise himself that badly.

He took the opportunity given by his waffling to contact the authorities. He offered to help them investigate the impropriety, but they dismissed his offer and shunted him to the side while they investigated the situation. Realizing he now had no job, he immediately gathered his important belongings (while his girlfriend was still at work) and completely moved out of the only real city he had ever known. He moved the the startown instead.

When he got to the startown he immediately started looking for a new job while simultaneously providing his old job his zero hour notice of resignation. He got very fortunate and found work at a merchant trading company that valued his analyst and computer skills and appreciated that he had some familiarity with brokerage. So now he is working in a new company, in a new city, all while hoping no one comes looking for him.
Dec 6, 2023 9:03 pm
The dawn of a new day in the startown heralded unforeseen challenges for Hank. Unbeknownst to him, the tendrils of deceit had not released their grip entirely. His girlfriend, in a desperate attempt to cover her tracks, framed Hank for the very crimes he had exposed.

One evening, as the city lights flickered below, the police arrived at Hank's new residence. The once unremarkable analyst, now caught in the crosshairs of a sinister plot, found himself facing accusations that threatened to shatter the fragile stability he had rebuilt.

Released pending investigation a couple of days later, Hank's mind raced for an escape route. Just when the shadows of the past seemed poised to engulf him, a beacon of hope emerged—an unexpected savior in the form of the Celestial Voyager starship. It sought new crew members and was ready to embark on its celestial journey.
OOC:
What do you do?
Dec 6, 2023 10:11 pm
Hank signs on. He thought he had protected himself through his contact with the authorities, but that apparently wasn't sufficient. As a result, there is nothing left for him here. He applies for the crewman position, though he has no idea how he can be useful to them. Still, he gives it his best shot.

Assuming he gets the position, he packs up his meager possessions and boards the ship. Just before he leaves, he sends a copy of the recording he secretly made of his confrontation with his now former girlfriend to one of the investigators that visited him. He also sends a message to Dr. Stone thanking her for her long friendship and that he hopes he will meet her again in the future.
Dec 7, 2023 3:15 am
Since this isn't locked yet, I want to add a single note to complete this. I realize I forgot one last minor, but very important thing: he sends a farewell message to his parents.

He tells them he loves them and will miss them, but he has to go away. If fortune smiles on him, perhaps one day he will be able to see them again. Please give his love to his brother and sister. He thanks them for all they gave him and he hopes to make them proud.
Dec 7, 2023 8:52 am
Yeah, I thought this message was sent as well. :)

Thread locked