spaceseeker19 character generation

Nov 28, 2023 11:50 pm
Welcome! Please roll your attributes and let's begin!
Nov 30, 2023 9:45 am
@spaceseeker19 hi :)
Nov 30, 2023 3:36 pm
Chargen Step One: Attribute rolls and selection

Rolls complete: 10, 12, 14, 18

Selections:
STR 10 (+0)
AGY 14 (+2)
WIT 18 (+4)
CHR 12 (+1)

Modified totals:
STR 11/+0 (+1 from Naval Academy)
AGY 14/+2
WIT 19/+4 (+1 from Naval Academy)
CHR 12/+1
Last edited December 3, 2023 12:13 am

Rolls

Attribute roll (1 of 4) - (4d6h3)

(3545) = 14

Attribute roll (2 of 4) - (4d6h3)

(2532) = 10

Attribute roll (3 of 4) - (4d6h3)

(4666) = 18

Attribute roll (4 of 4) - (4d6h3)

(1246) = 12

Nov 30, 2023 3:41 pm
Chargen Step Two: Upbringing Attributes

Rolls complete: 7, 9

Upbringing selection:
EDU: 15 (Start at 9, University study increased this to 11, graduation increased to 13, trained EDU for +1 to 14, Naval Academy increased to 15)
SOC: 7
OOC:
Edited to note increase to EDU from University and attribute training.
Last edited December 3, 2023 12:14 am

Rolls

Upbringing (1 of 2) - (3d6)

(225) = 9

Upbringing (2 of 2) - (3d6)

(142) = 7

Nov 30, 2023 3:47 pm
Chargen Step Three: Personal Details

Choosing my character name, pronoums, homeworld and describing my family, childhood, and adolescence.

A bit more than a century ago, an ITC exploration ship arrived at the system labeled Mondassian-Kolno 74, and in their survey of the planets, they discovered two of interest, which were named Akvarin-Pyeong 1 and 2 after the two scientists who set foot on the worlds and did the analyses. Akvarin-Pyeong 1 had gravity very near Earth standard, and so various corporations worked with the ITC to establish colonies there. By now, the various colonies refer to their world informally as "Akpy." But the second body, Akvarin-Pyeong 2, was a dwarf planet containing a lot of metals and covered with ice. Engineers slightly altered the trajectory of a comet so that it impacted with Akvarin-Pyeong 2, breaking it into many chunks. Mining operations began to set up in the asteroid belt, mining metals and ice for shipment to Akpy. Inevitably, settlements grew on the larger planetoids in this destroyed belt. The inhabitants began to refer to the belt as "Destroid," and each inhabited asteroid was given a number in the order they were first settled.

Douklan Paravides was born and raised on Destroid-3 in the MK-74 system. Douklan was born to his mother Shanren, a Navy flight officer, and father Paumo, an entertainer, when they settled down after Shanren's honorary discharge after three tours. Both were native Destroidos, and they ran a small shuttle/tug for hire all through Douklan's childhood. He spent his time learning to maneuver in a vacuum suit in low gravity when he wasn't with his parents on trips to and from Akpy. They sent Douklan to school on Akpy, and he proudly remembers that he was there on the surface when it rained for the first time outside of Dendro Colony. The ITC terraforming scientists, working with the Akpy and Destroid engineers, had finally brought enough water onto the planet that noticeable precipitation had begun. It became a holiday at Dendro, called "Rain Day." (Other colonies had similar experiences at different times, but Dendro was the first colony to observe actual rainfall.) Douklan was an excellent student and was fascinated by spatial and logic puzzles in particular. He was drawn to the arts and physics as a result: sculpture, 3D modeling, and hydrodynamics. Douklan was never as strong as the natives, but he exercised quite a bit to not be debilitated by the heavy gravity, and his reflexes made up for what his muscles lacked. He was decent at any sports that involved throwing things, so he managed to get a spot on his school's sling ball team as an adolescent. He met a native Akpian girl at school, Farchelle, and had a semi-serious romantic relationship for the last two years of school. With graduation, they hoped that their choices would allow them to stay together, but they actually had never discussed it so neither knew the other's plans.
Last edited December 1, 2023 5:37 pm
Nov 30, 2023 7:43 pm
Nice. You're good to go. Please write step 3 in a new post, so I'm notified of it and come back here. Edits are (usually) not marked as unread. Thanks =)
Dec 1, 2023 5:35 pm
Chargen Step Four: Choosing Initial Skills

Initial skills:
Zero G - He was born on a low gravity asteroid, Destroid-3, and spent much of his life traveling between there and other locations in Destroid via a tug.

Reflex - He spent a lot of time on a ship, needing to react quickly to various developments. He also played a lot of sling ball.

Piloting - He grew up with his parents operating a shuttle/tug.

Notice - He needed to be alert to his surroundings - many sensors - on board a ship. He also dealt with native Akpy bullies at school, so awareness was an important survival skill.

Mechanics - Everyone living on an asteroid or in a ship for an extended period of time quickly learns how to repair myriad devices and equipment.

Tally of total skills:
- Academics (Fleet Tactics): 0 (Naval Academy)
- Arts: 1 (0 for studies, 1 for graduation)
- Athletics: 0 (0 from Naval Academy)
- Computers: 1 (0 for studies, 1 for graduation)
- Electronics: 0 (0 from Naval Academy)
- Engineering: 0 (0 from Naval Academy)
- Gunnery: 0 (0 from Naval Academy)
- Leadership: 1 (1 from 1st Navy tour)
- Mechanics: 0 (0 for upbringing)
- Navigation: 2 (1 for studies, 1 for graduation)
- Notice: 0 (0 for upbringing)
- Piloting: 1 (0 for upbringing, 1 for 1st Navy tour)
- Ranged Weapons: 0 (Naval Academy)
- Reflexes: 0 (0 for upbringing)
- Resilience: 0 (for Naval Academy)
- Zero-G: 0 (0 for upbringing)
Last edited December 3, 2023 6:15 am
Dec 1, 2023 5:50 pm
Chargen Step Five: Determine target age (age at the start of the adventure)

Rolling 3d6+20 to see what age Douklan will be when the adventure begins (minimum 23, maximum 38).

Douklan begins the game when he is 33, which leaves him 15 years of Education and Careers to determine.
Last edited December 1, 2023 6:03 pm

Rolls

Target age - (3d6+20)

(256) + 20 = 33

Dec 1, 2023 6:02 pm
Chargen steps six through eight: Education and Careers

Checking up on how to do checks against EDU. If I'm reading it correctly, to apply Douklan for university, I would:
1. Roll 1d20
2. Subtract 1 (for an EDU of 9)
3. Subtract 10 more (for the DC)
4. If the result is 0 or greater, Douklan is accepted.

Similarly, for Douklan to apply to Military Academy (Planetary Defense Forces), I would
1. Roll 1d20
2. Nothing is added or subtracted for the attribute, as the STR mod is 0.
3. Subtract 10 (for the DC)
4. If the result is 0 or greater, Douklan is accepted.

Are those both correct reads?

Age 18: Douklan applies for University (rolling against EDU). Douklan has been accepted to University.
Last edited December 2, 2023 5:23 pm

Rolls

Application to University - (1d20-11)

(11) - 11 = 0

Dec 1, 2023 9:54 pm
Yes. Everything looks fine, so far.
Dec 2, 2023 5:30 pm
Chargen Step Six, continued (Education)
Having been accepted, Douklan attends University from age 18 to age 21.
His EDU increases from the initial 9 to 11.
He studies Arts, Computers, and Navigation
(In case you are copying from another file, note that "Electronics" is spelled "Eletronics" in the chargen)
Dec 2, 2023 5:49 pm
Thanks! I'll fix that as well.

From those 3, which one is the level-1 skill?
Dec 2, 2023 6:06 pm
htech says:
From those 3, which one is the level-1 skill?
I was waiting to say, in case the choice would be informed by "University play"/events you wanted to provide. But I think Navigation makes sense.

Should I continue with age 21, then?
Dec 2, 2023 6:08 pm
Nope. It's the other way around, that's why I asked. I'll write an event with Navigation in mind (Daryen was Computers). Gimme a minute.
Dec 2, 2023 6:12 pm
htech says:
Nope. It's the other way around, that's why I asked. I'll write an event with Navigation in mind (Daryen was Computers). Gimme a minute.
I like that. The Chargen paragraph that starts with "Enrollment bonus" seems to read the opposite order.
Dec 2, 2023 6:27 pm
Trade Era 1220, Day 174

Mondassian-Kolno University, Akvarin-Pyeong 1

Douklan Paravides stood at the entrance of the prestigious Mondassian-Kolno University, a blend of excitement and nervousness coursing through him. Entering the Department of Astrophysics, Douklan marveled at the cosmic murals and interactive displays that adorned the walls. It felt like stepping into a gateway of knowledge that stretched across the vastness of the universe. His heart raced with the thrill of a new chapter.

As Douklan settled into his first astrophysics class, he found himself surrounded by students from diverse backgrounds. The professor, a seasoned astrophysicist with a mane of white hair, welcomed the eager minds embarking on this cosmic journey. His first lectures delved not only into celestial mechanics, gravitational waves and the intricacies of star formation but also in their interactions with the Jump Drives.

Douklan's artistic inclination found an unexpected ally in the subject. Astrophysics, he discovered, was not just about numbers and equations but also about envisioning the cosmos in all its splendor. Douklan's mind buzzed with ideas of sculpting celestial bodies and creating computer-assisted 3D models that captured the essence of distant galaxies.

Yet, amidst the academic fervor, Douklan faced a dilemma. He missed Farchelle, the Akpian girl who had shared his dreams during their school days. One day, as Douklan worked on a sculpture depicting the collision of asteroids, he received a message.
OOC:
What message, related to Farchelle, you have received? Did she find someone else? Enrolled in a nearby university? Entered in a career?
Dec 2, 2023 6:32 pm
spaceseeker19 says:
I like that. The Chargen paragraph that starts with "Enrollment bonus" seems to read the opposite order.
Yeah, thank you very much for your help in proofreading the game. The reverse order should only be for the Military Academy (there the events are before the bonus, as these are very interesting years)

Adjusted. Thank you again.
Dec 2, 2023 7:34 pm
Farchelle's application to university was not accepted, so she spent her first year just making money in odd jobs around Dendro. Since Rain Day, Akpy's population has swelled with an influx of all sorts of climate, biological, botanical engineers and their families. With that population growth, a need for entertainment has also grown. Farchelle joined a theater troupe and has had some success with her burgeoning entertainment career. Without the constant, daily interactions to keep them in tune with each other, Douklan and Farchelle have developed in different directions, with lives that aren't really built around the other any longer. They remain fond and affectionate, but they have less and less in common now, and there have been other relationships in the intervening three years since Douklan started his university studies.

Chargen Step Six through Eight: Education and Careers (continued)

Douklan's skills are currently:
- Navigation: 2 (1 for studies, 1 for graduation)
- Arts: 1 (0 for studies, 1 for graduation)
- Computers: 1 (0 for studies, 1 for graduation)
- Mechanics: 0 (0 for upbringing)
- Notice: 0 (0 for upbringing)
- Piloting: 0 (0 for upbringing)
- Reflexes: 0 (0 for upbringing)
- Zero-G: 0 (0 for upbringing)

Age 21: Douklan attempts to graduate. He graduates! +1 to Navigation, Arts, and Computers, +2 to EDU.
Last edited December 2, 2023 7:37 pm

Rolls

Graduation roll 1 (1d20-6, DC -10 +4 for WIT) - (1d20-6)

(8) - 6 = 2

Dec 2, 2023 8:39 pm
You're good to go. Congrats on the graduation. No events this time, but we will have something after your application roll. Please choose your career or Military Academy and roll once for application.
Dec 2, 2023 9:38 pm
Step Six through Eight: Education and Careers continued

Age 21, post graduation: Feeling some pressure from his family to remain in civilized systems, Douklan decides not to run off to become a Deep Space Explorer and instead tries to follow in his mother Shanren's footsteps, applying to enroll in Navy Academy.

Age 22: Having his Naval Academy application rejected, Douklan decides to study some more in some correspondence courses (1 year spent training EDU).

Age 23: Determined that he will make it this time, Douklan applies again for entrance to the Navy Academy.
OOC:
Edit: Sorry, I only saw after I did the second roll that you asked me to only roll once.
Last edited December 2, 2023 9:45 pm

Rolls

Navy Academy application - (1d20-8)

(2) - 8 = -6

Second Navy Academy application - (1d20-8)

(20) - 8 = 12

load next

Thread locked