Against the cult: the Forest Ruin (1.5)

load previous
Apr 11, 2024 12:57 am
Aanbo makes a mental note of the location of the lever that Xana found. As the others venture into the workshop, he remains outside so that he can open the portcullis if needed.
Apr 11, 2024 1:07 am
Kragga follows Xana into the room, if only to hold a torch aloft and light the way. Otherwise, he hangs back and observes.

Rolls

perception (DC 10) - (1d20)

(13) = 13

Apr 11, 2024 6:40 am
MaJunior says:
Theran ... tries to remember what was above the area beyond the door.
Theran is confident in his orienteering: the workshop is below and to the east of the illusory pit trap containing the gold chandelier and all the medallions from the disintegrated Heralds. Whatever is beyond the door is about 20 feet below the overgrown veranda with the trapped statues.

Theran and Kragga both notice that the stains on the door seem to be fresh, and the wood seems to have swollen around the rusted iron bands and in the frame. In fact, Theran notices that the wood is "sweating" in places, beads of condensation visibly standing out on the darkest stains, toward the bottom of the door.
Apr 11, 2024 3:59 pm
"Heat, maybe?" Theran posits as he inspects -- careful not to touch! - the swelling and sweating of the wood. He will use the back of his hand to touch the handle, testing to see how warm it is.
Apr 12, 2024 1:55 am
Kragga responds to Theran, impressed with his acute senses. "Does heat do this to wood? I confess, I know nothing of this phenomenon. But I am wary of it, given all the other traps in this place."
Apr 12, 2024 2:07 am
"Heat certainly can cause wood to sweat, not unlike it does the rest of us," Theran says. "But like you, I am wary of the overwhelming number of traps, and so I have concerns this may be something else at work here."
Apr 12, 2024 2:32 am
Aanbo remains confident in his decision to remain behind, poised to press the portcullis lever in case a hidden mechanism traps his companions in the workshop. "Well, I'm here, ready to help if needed," he says aloud to help affirm his assistance.
Apr 12, 2024 2:40 am
"I'm content to leave this door closed. I am satisfied that we have discovered the glowing stone orbs and the antidote."
Apr 12, 2024 8:53 pm
Theran feels the door; the lower half is wet as if with condensation. He also feels a tremor in the wood, as if something is scratching or rubbing against the door on the other side. The damp explains the mold, and the rust in this room and the previous one: there's much more moisture down here than in the ruin upstairs. The druid looks down at the bottom of the door, and sees that the wood, which was carefully fitted to fit neatly in the frame, has swollen down to connect with the floor. This would take a lot of liquid. There's no smell other than the mildew, so it's water or something similarly low odor. Toward the bottom of the door, the wood is slightly soft to the touch. The swelling would make it hard to open the door, but it would be easier than it looks to break it.

Joseph Nimblefingers

spaceseeker19

Apr 12, 2024 8:59 pm
Joseph Nimblefingers
"Well, I'm satisfied." Joseph says, looking at the discarded weapons, "I'd be content to go back upstairs and try the antidote."
Apr 12, 2024 9:02 pm
Ogbar
Ogbar grumbles. "Are we going to go back without seeing what's on the other side?" He sighs. "Well, what about the magic door upstairs? Are we going to leave that, too?"
Apr 13, 2024 12:09 am
Al defers to kind wisdom of his friends.
Shall we go upstairs and try the antidote, then?
Apr 13, 2024 12:51 am
Aanbo asks, gravity in his voice, "Are we prepared to help the old man transition into this new world?"
Apr 13, 2024 12:55 am
"There is... something... on the other side. Movement. The handle doesn't feel warm, so I don't think heat caused the wood to swell and sweat. It seems like just an overabundance of water?"

The elf squats down and pokes the door with the pommel of his dagger, so he can see how it responds to the liquid.

"If I didn't think such a thing highly improbable, I would almost think the room beyond is literally full of water and would cascade out in a torrent of we opened or breached the door. Although admittedly, it might be amusing to witness."
Last edited April 13, 2024 12:56 am
Apr 13, 2024 11:04 pm
Al approaches the door and places gauntleted right hand upon it. Closing his eyes in concentration, our paladinic fellow attempts to discern evil presences nearby.
OOC:
Move to the door and activate Divine Sense.
Apr 14, 2024 2:07 pm
Xana perks up at Theran's comment. "It would be amusing... let's do it!" She readies herself to stand back and blast it open if needed.
Last edited April 14, 2024 2:07 pm
Apr 14, 2024 10:13 pm
Kragga moves well out of the way of danger in case Theran and Xana manage to open the door.
Apr 14, 2024 10:16 pm
"Um, okay," Aanbo says to himself. He takes a position flanking the portcullis, ready to assist people in clearing the pit if there's an immediate retreat.
Apr 14, 2024 10:47 pm
"Um, Al? If you wouldn't mind?" Xana attempts to shoo him away from the door. "What are you doing?"
Apr 14, 2024 10:57 pm
"I never said it was a good idea," Theran mutters as he moves out to the other side of the pit trap, hoping that the hole will contain the water.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.