RESOLVED: [Interest Check] 1 of 2 D&D5e campaigns

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Dec 15, 2023 7:09 am
I know that there are a lot of D&D 5e games that are being run, but on the assumption that there are still players interested in joining yet another high fantasy campaign, I'm trying to choose between two campaigns I know and love to run.

If you are interested in a D&D5e game, would you be interested in either or both of these? Do you have a preference between the two?

First, the "Secrets of the Greenwold" campaign is a milestone-leveling campaign written by David Crennen, known as "America's DM" from the CritJuice podcast. It's an epic campaign that takes PCs that survive from L1 - L10, set in a custom setting, the Greenwold. It involves many custom monsters, artifacts, the threat of war, world-shattering stakes, and lots of travel.

Second, is the Dragon of Icespire Peak, the milestone-leveling campaign from the D&D Essentials Kit that is a counterpart to Lost Mine of Phandelver. It is set on the Sword Coast, starting in the mining town of Phandalin but moving all over the region of the intersection of the Sword Mountains and the High Road. It takes PCs that survive from L1 - L13.

UPDATE: Slightly more people were interested in the Secrets of the Greenwold" campaign; I have started a separate recruitment thread for that game.
Last edited December 28, 2023 4:38 pm
Dec 15, 2023 7:50 am
I’m down for both of them. The first one sounds intriguing since I’m not familiar with it, but the second one sounds great too since it seems like a classic adventure. Would love to play a heroic character (as opposed to a morally gray one), so whichever one that’s better suited for (or both), I’d be down for it.

Edit: I just read up on Greenwold, that looks absolutely amazing. The mousekin looks awesome!
Last edited December 15, 2023 8:44 am
Dec 15, 2023 8:17 am
I would like to know more about Secrets of the Greenwold
I'm not interested in Dragon of Icespire Peak
Dec 15, 2023 9:05 am
I would love to join another 5e. And I could second runekyndig.

Subjective opinion (I've been both a player and DM in DoIP): DoIP is a cool story works best with passive players who want DM to entertain them and lead them.

I don't have experience with Secrets of the Greenwold, which makes it so appealing to me. Would love to explore David Crennen's settings.
Last edited December 15, 2023 9:05 am
Dec 15, 2023 10:30 am
Interested in Greenwold if there's room. What are you thinking for posting frequency?
Dec 15, 2023 11:19 am
Also interested in Greenwold. I found the gamefound page for it. Where can I find more information on it?
Dec 15, 2023 11:39 am
I’d be down for either one, reads like fun!
Dec 15, 2023 2:37 pm
There can't be enough 5e games. ;)

Both sound very interesting and I would love to be in one of them. Never played Dragon of Icespire Peak and would love to do so, if I had to choose.

Please make something like this happen, spaceseeker! :D
Dec 15, 2023 3:07 pm
I would like to play a male, Wood Elf Ranger in "Secrets of the Greenwold!"
Dec 15, 2023 3:09 pm
I'm always around to play some 5e. :) Both sound just great to me.
Dec 15, 2023 7:25 pm
More 5e please! I’m interested in either or both. Very interested in Greenwold!
Dec 15, 2023 9:42 pm
I am very much interested.
Dec 16, 2023 3:28 am
GreyWord says:
Subjective opinion (I've been both a player and DM in DoIP): DoIP is a cool story works best with passive players who want DM to entertain them and lead them.

I don't have experience with Secrets of the Greenwold, which makes it so appealing to me. Would love to explore David Crennen's settings.
Just curious: did you play just the "Dragon of Icespire Peak" module, or did you play through the whole campaign (which continues from "Dragon of Icespire Peak" with "Storm Lord's Wrath," then builds on that with "Sleeping Dragon's Wake," and finally concludes with "Divine Contention")? I've been running the cycle in a roll20 game for the past year or so, but I haven't found another DM who has so that we can trade notes.

A note: as is common with most published adventures that use milestone leveling, neither of these campaigns are West Marches/sandbox-style games where the PCs are free to roam anywhere and ignore all the calls for adventure that are presented to them. Perhaps some quests and encounters can be ignored, but leveling without XP requires that the PCs complete certain objectives, and those objectives are laid out in pre-written situations, quests, and encounters. If that feels constraining, probably neither of these is going to be very fun for you. "Dragon of Icespire Peak" - the first part of that campaign, which takes PCs from L1 to L6 - is actually balanced pretty well to allow players to level normally, through XP, if the group chooses to do that. But the XP rewards begin to fall short as the campaign continues, and by the end of the campaign, it's very unlikely that a party of 6 PCs will ever get to the target level (L13) with the amount of XP the encounters provide. Would it work with 4 PCs? Maybe...but I'm not inclined to limit a PbP game to that small a party. "Secrets of the Greenwold," on the other hand, makes much less of an attempt to keep XP rewards in keeping with the points where you level. In the beginning, assuming you engage with the adventure, PCs will take much longer to gain levels 2 and 3 than they would if they were doing XP leveling, and toward the end, they will be gaining levels much faster than just XP rewards would provide. I'm just trying to set expectations: does that still interest you?
Dec 16, 2023 3:28 am
SenorDeebs says:
Interested in Greenwold if there's room. What are you thinking for posting frequency?
I like to shoot for once a day in my games, so 7 substantive posts a week.
Dec 16, 2023 3:33 am
JoshuaMabry says:
Also interested in Greenwold. I found the gamefound page for it. Where can I find more information on it?
They don't really have a public repository of setting information that doesn't also reveal campaign details. If I start this game (and I'm leaning toward that), I will make a public game forum with world lore in it, for users to browse before they choose to apply for the game or not.
Dec 16, 2023 4:27 am
spaceseeker19 says:
JoshuaMabry says:
They don't really have a public repository of setting information that doesn't also reveal campaign details. If I start this game (and I'm leaning toward that), I will make a public game forum with world lore in it, for users to browse before they choose to apply for the game or not.
I would like that:)
Dec 16, 2023 5:18 am
I’m not a fan of West Marches style, so this sounds better and better.
Dec 16, 2023 7:07 am
Hello hello, I'd be down for either campaign, and both leveling paces sound like they could help with a good time. Same with the posting frequency.
Dec 16, 2023 7:34 am
Keeping eager eyes on this and hoping I can pick up another game
Dec 16, 2023 9:35 am
spaceseeker19 says:
A note: ... "Secrets of the Greenwold," on the other hand, makes much less of an attempt to keep XP rewards in keeping with the points where you level. In the beginning, assuming you engage with the adventure, PCs will take much longer to gain levels 2 and 3 than they would if they were doing XP leveling, and toward the end, they will be gaining levels much faster than just XP rewards would provide. I'm just trying to set expectations: does that still interest you?
Yes, Secrets of the Greenwold does indeed interest me more and more. So much so that I am starting to think of character concepts I would like to play, what challenges I would set myself and so on.
For instance, I usally play very human-like characters. Perhaps a more monstrous one like a kobolt with a dragon obsession
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.