[Recruitment Thread] Dresden Files FAE

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

ClosedFate AcceleratedPublic4 / weekJoshuaMabry
Werewolves, Vampires and Faeries oh my! Welcome to the Dresdenverse, a place of magic, mystery, danger and excitement. Things go bump in the night. Be one of the ones that bumps back. Play a Wizard, Knight of the Cross, or other protector of humanity in the struggle against the forces of supernatural darkness.

Jan 16, 2024 8:06 am
Well folks, which will it be? Hither comes Conan, multiverse spanning adventures through alternate histories, or demon hunting in the urban jungle?

I'll monitor this thread until midnight CST Friday Jan 19th, at which point I'll choose four players to go forward. Anyone who expressed interest in the initial IC thread will automatically be considered.
Last edited January 16, 2024 9:10 pm
Jan 16, 2024 9:29 am
Quote:
Or an urban fantasy game a la Jim Butcher's the Dresden Files
This one is a huge YES from me

A stargate'isk game would also be nice, but time-shenanigans is not for me.
Last edited January 16, 2024 12:56 pm
Jan 16, 2024 12:30 pm
I'm for any (or all) of those...by all, if one were to use a Stargate like concept, I mean that you could replicate multiple environments/themes based on the mission they are on, especially if the stargate system travels between multiverses. Conan type world here, dragons and trolls there, demon infested jungles, etc.

Regardless, I'm interested :)
Jan 16, 2024 12:31 pm
Count me as potentially interested, in case you end up with one of the following:

1st preference: multiverse spanning adventures through alternate histories
2nd preference: urban fantasy à la Dresden

Thanks! :)
Jan 16, 2024 12:45 pm
Count me in too, please! Most excited by the urban setting or multiverse adventures.
Last edited January 16, 2024 12:46 pm
Jan 16, 2024 1:25 pm
Very cool! Once again Urban Fantasy/Dresden inspired gets my top vote, followed by the Conan inspired one. Multiverse alternate history does sound interesting so I'm still in if it goes that route.
Jan 16, 2024 1:29 pm
As I said, I'd be happy with any...but if I had to chose...

A story of multi-dimensional time police who prevent criminals and terrorists from disrupting timelines for their own ends.

Reminds me of Star Trek's TIC:

The Temporal Integrity Commission was a 29th century Federation agency tasked with protecting the timeline from temporal incursions.

But they only focused on protecting their own timeline...protecting the timelines of other multiverses is an interesting twist.
Jan 16, 2024 2:21 pm
I've been doing a lot of fantasy and I'm not really a history buff so I would vote for the demon hunting in the urban jungle
Jan 16, 2024 2:33 pm
Seems like the urban fantasy is getting a lot of traction. I wonder if I should just run the Dresden Files RPG, which is based on Fate.
Jan 16, 2024 3:17 pm
multiverse / time travel settings are not my cup of tea - but keep me posted if this ends up being a Hyperboria Era setting. Happy gaming!
Jan 16, 2024 3:24 pm
JoshuaMabry says:
Seems like the urban fantasy is getting a lot of traction. I wonder if I should just run the Dresden Files RPG, which is based on Fate.
That's a cool option! You should also have a look at Dresden Files Accelerated, if you have access. It kinda streamlined many of the rules, as the DF RPG was quite complex/crunchy, while still keeping plenty of options for character creation.
Jan 16, 2024 3:30 pm
gnomius says:

That's a cool option! You should also have a look at Dresden Files Accelerated, if you have access. It kinda streamlined many of the rules, as the DF RPG was quite complex/crunchy, while still keeping plenty of options for character creation.
Not sure I want to go that route. I prefer Fate Core to Fate Accelerated in general. I'll give it a look though.
Jan 16, 2024 3:48 pm
I am unfamiliar with any Dresden files RPGs, and I'm not very familiar with the Dresden files overall.
Jan 16, 2024 3:59 pm
The Dresden Files is a novel series by Jim Butcher. The titular character, Harry Dresden, is a wizard private investigator in modern day Chicago. He's a sort of Jim Rockford type, in that he struggles financially and things never seem to go his way. In the beginning of the series he's dealing with other magic users, vampires, fae, werewolves... etc. As the series is coming to its conclusion some twenty books later he's grown a great deal in power and battles powerful necromancers, fairie royalty, demons (both Christian and otherwise), and most recently a demi-god.

The game is enough like Fate Core/Condensed that you can use those as reference for the rules.
Jan 16, 2024 4:01 pm
Just so everyone knows what to expect there's a lot of collaborative world building and character creation involved in Fate. We'll probably spend a week or two on that before we actually begin play.
Jan 16, 2024 4:04 pm
Sounds very exciting! In terms of urban centers, do you see it set in an Earth city, or somewhere else?
Jan 16, 2024 4:08 pm
An Earth city. Los Angeles California, San Antonio Texas, and New York are my go to choices simply because I'm from/in the United States and am familiar with them. I'd be happy to set the game somewhere else if that's what the group decides.

Now that's if we go with Dresden Files, which I must admit I'm leaning more and more toward. If we do the time travel multiverse game then who knows.
Last edited January 16, 2024 4:09 pm
Jan 16, 2024 4:17 pm
That sounds great! I’d vote San Antonio, since I’m not as familiar with it and it would feel new to me. :)
Jan 16, 2024 4:31 pm
JoshuaMabry says:
The Dresden Files is a novel series by Jim Butcher. The titular character, Harry Dresden, is a wizard private investigator in modern day Chicago. He's a sort of Jim Rockford type, in that he struggles financially and things never seem to go his way. In the beginning of the series he's dealing with other magic users, vampires, fae, werewolves... etc. As the series is coming to its conclusion some twenty books later he's grown a great deal in power and battles powerful necromancers, fairie royalty, demons (both Christian and otherwise), and most recently a demi-god.

The game is enough like Fate Core/Condensed that you can use those as reference for the rules.
Oh look, they actually make a FATE book. I got it on my shelf
https://d1vzi28wh99zvq.cloudfront.net/images/2152/213844.jpg
OOC:
Polka will never die!
Jan 16, 2024 4:33 pm
JoshuaMabry says:
Not sure I want to go that route. I prefer Fate Core to Fate Accelerated in general. I'll give it a look though.
Yes, I prefer Core too, but DFA is not as simple as vanilla FAE, I was positively surprised by it.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.