Chapter 4B: Asteroid Battle

load previous
Mar 9, 2024 9:13 am
OOC:
Quote:
the same two things every other round.
I think this is allowed, but it's not the purpose of it. There are many, many things a department can do to help. Repeating something after a while seems ok. Choosing the same two descriptions over and over again seems like a lazy approach.
Mar 9, 2024 6:34 pm
Ensign Carderas (Comms) is Doing His Duty by monitoring communications to see if the Patrol Boat is calling for aid.
OOC:
That should be another 1 CP.
I am assuming we are still doing one round of Fire All Guns, so here is the Sandthrower firing at the fighter shooting at the Sentinel ...

... another hit! Rolling damage ...

... for no effective damage as the armor eats it all.
Last edited March 9, 2024 6:36 pm

Rolls

Firing on a Fighter - (2d20h1+3)

(2019) + 3 = 23

Damage chance 1 - (2d4)

(23) = 5

Damage chance 2 - (2d4)

(13) = 4

Mar 10, 2024 7:37 am
Quote:
I think coordinating the gunnery head with the gunners is taking some time and is not adding that much of a choice and gameplay experience, as the head naturally makes most of the decisions. I propose we streamline that by letting arthur12320 take all guns and also control Lt. Fu. @spaceseeker19,@arthur12320,@daryen do you agree? Can I give him your gunners? In the future, I plan to keep it that way with whoever gets the gunnery head. In PbP being a gunner doesn't feel the same.
OOC:
I agree, but if @daryen would like to take control also not a problem.
Mar 10, 2024 2:45 pm
OOC:
I am amenable to whatever works better. Having one person manage the guns is fine by me.

Doing Comms is sufficient for my purposes.
Mar 11, 2024 3:36 am
htech says:

1. I think coordinating the gunnery head with the gunners is taking some time and is not adding that much of a choice and gameplay experience, as the head naturally makes most of the decisions. I propose we streamline that by letting arthur12320 take all guns and also control Lt. Fu. @spaceseeker19,@arthur12320,@daryen do you agree?
OOC:
Sure, that's fine. I would expect it to play that way in real-time as the default.

To me, here on GP, it would also make sense for a player to control the gunnery department (declaring the actions) and then have the GM do all the rolls for the actual guns (because it reduces posts and saves time).
htech says:
The captain has a special move called Support Department (0 CP) were she chooses a department.
OOC:
Yes, the Captain would do that every round.
htech says:
SWN has a unique dice mechanic: it's 2d6 for skills and 1d20 for attacking in combat.
OOC:
So if it's a skill check outside of combat, it's 2d6, but if it's a skill check in combat, it's 1d20?
Or is it just skill checks that involve attacks in combat that are 1d20, and other skill checks in combat are still 2d6?

OOC:
I don't have a sense of how badly damaged the Sentinel is at this point, and I don't know the condition of the ships we're attacking, either (well, the fighters are undamaged, but I don't know about the patrol boat). So I don't know whether the Captain would Support the Gunnery or Engineering/Repair departments for this third turn. If the Captain Supports the Engineering department to work on repairs, that reduces the cost of repairs by 2 CP (I don't know the cost of repairs), but would that also mean (as I suspect) that the Engineering department would be actively making a repair check rather than Doing Their Duty, so our current CP total would be 2, rather than 3?

I've looked over the space battle actions you've put on Douklan's sheet (thank you); without knowing the condition of the ships, I don't know whether I should be spending points on Evasion or concentrating on generating CP for the gunnery department. We were hit in turn 2 and are down to 19 ship HP; did we deal any damage to the patrol boat on turn two? What is its condition?
Last edited March 11, 2024 4:05 am
Mar 11, 2024 9:07 am
OOC:
Quote:
So if it's a skill check outside of combat, it's 2d6, but if it's a skill check in combat, it's 1d20?
Or is it just skill checks that involve attacks in combat that are 1d20, and other skill checks in combat are still 2d6?
Just those that involve attacks (Shoot, Stab, Punch, etc).
Quote:
If the Captain Supports the Engineering department to work on repairs
The Engineering did their duty this round, see PhoenixScientist post above, so that is not an option anymore, their round is finished. The patrol boat is pretty hurt so focusing on Gunnery is an option. The Bridge's Evasion is still a possibility as that's under your control as well.
Quote:
I've looked over the space battle actions you've put on Douklan's sheet (thank you);
Great! I will add that in the other PCs sheets too.
Quote:
did we deal any damage to the patrol boat on turn two? What is its condition?
Fighter 1 - 8 HP left (of 8)
Fighter 2 - 7 HP (of 8)
Patrol Boat - 8 HP (of 25)

I will add an HP table next round as well. :)
Mar 11, 2024 1:12 pm
OOC:
I've been generating CP till now, but I plan on trying Damage Control to get back lost HP in round 4.
Mar 11, 2024 2:01 pm
OOC:
Please kill the Patrol Boat first. Honestly, if at least two of the three Fusion Beam shots hit, then it should reduce the Patrol Boat's HP to 0.

As an aside, what does happen when the ship's HP drop to 0?
Last edited March 11, 2024 2:02 pm
Mar 11, 2024 2:25 pm
daryen says:
OOC:
Please kill the Patrol Boat first. Honestly, if at least two of the three Fusion Beam shots hit, then it should reduce the Patrol Boat's HP to 0.

As an aside, what does happen when the ship's HP drop to 0?
PG 94: Starship Hulls says:

Hit Points reflects the amount of damage the ship
can take before it explodes or becomes inoperable.
OOC:
Nothing good
Last edited March 11, 2024 2:28 pm
Mar 11, 2024 2:31 pm
OOC:
Just so that I’m clear on the order, all of our departments already went on round 4? Waiting for the enemy ships now? In the next round I could go ahead and try to finish the patrol boat?
Mar 11, 2024 2:39 pm
OOC:
I have not seen round 4 declared. I was just communicating intent early.
Mar 11, 2024 3:29 pm
OOC:
Quote:
Just so that I’m clear on the order, all of our departments already went on round 4?
Nops. We are still at round 3.

Round 3

Ship Action CP left Result
The Sentinel Engineering: Do your duty 1
The Sentinel Comms: Do your duty 2
The Sentinel Bridge: To be defined ?
The Sentinel Captain: Support Department (To be defined) ?
The Sentinel Gunnery: Fire All Guns?? ? The sandthrower already missed a fighter. The other guns can go? (or can I roll for them?)
The Sentinel Any CP left? ? ?
Mar 11, 2024 3:38 pm
OOC:
Why do we have CP listed by department if they're shared?
Mar 11, 2024 3:41 pm
Quote:
Why do we have CP listed by department if they're shared?
OOC:
I think that is not by department, is the remaining cp after that action. Ex: after the comms department did their duty we received 1cp going from 1 to 2
Mar 11, 2024 3:44 pm
OOC:
Yup. Sorry if it was not clear. The remaining CP is what really matters for the next actions, so I'm listing it in each row.
Mar 11, 2024 3:51 pm
OOC:
@htech About the gunnery, all guns will fire (if we manage to get 3 CP) and I can roll for the two plasma guns

Rolls

Gunnery - plasma beam 1 - (1d20+4) - (1d20+4)

(17) + 4 = 21

Gunnery - plasma beam 1 - (1d20+4) - (1d20+4)

(5) + 4 = 9

Damage (if hits) plasma beam 1 - (3d6)

(461) = 11

Damage (if hits) plasma beam 2 - (3d6)

(636) = 15

Mar 11, 2024 3:53 pm
OOC:
In that case, please roll damage for each gun as well with your posts, so if you hit I can already deduce the damage and if you miss I can simply ignore that specific damage roll. =)

I will update your post above to show how =)

Round 3

The Sentinel Gunnery: Fire All Guns -1 Needs CP or this action will be canceled. The Patrol Boat will explode / become inoperable.
The Sentinel Any CP left? ? ?
Mar 11, 2024 4:18 pm
htech says:
OOC:
Yup. Sorry if it was not clear. The remaining CP is what really matters for the next actions, so I'm listing it in each row.
OOC:
My question more defined, because I dont understand yet. If it's CP generatied Engineering should be 3. But we have shared CP, so having it separated doesn't make sense? Because any department can use the CP any other department generates so Engineering doesn't have 2 and The Sentinel 1, The Sentinel has 3.
If it was CP generated this turn it would be only 1 for everyone who Did Your Duty
Last edited March 11, 2024 4:19 pm
Mar 11, 2024 4:21 pm
OOC:
think of it like a timeline, we started with zero CP, engineering did their duty, we went from 0 to 1, comms did their duty also going from 1 to 2 and so on. And of course we are sharing it, for example gunnery is trying to use 3 CP, since we only had 2 in total we are currently at -1 unlesss some other department generates more.
Last edited March 11, 2024 4:22 pm
Mar 11, 2024 4:29 pm
OOC:
Oh. Every round CP resets (starts at zero).

So, what the table is showing is that at the beginning of round 3, Engineering was the first to act, and generated 1 CP. We have 1 CP available after that.
The Sentinel Start of the round 0

Then, Comms did, and generated another CP, for a total of 2 available after that.

Bridge and Captain still have to act in this round, but Gunnery chose "Fire All Guns". Normally, they would have to wait, because we don't have 3 CP available yet. But I'm letting they go and will consider all rolls. That means the CP is at -1 after Gunnery acted. If the Bridge/Captain don't fix that, Gunnery action will be canceled.

The Sentinel Gunnery: Fire All Guns -1 Needs CP or this action will be canceled. The Patrol Boat will explode / become inoperable if we fired all guns.

load next

Thread locked