05. The Courting of Fire

Feb 10, 2024 10:42 am
The time after the incident at Valhingen Graveyard is spent in a variation of ways. Pierce manages to finally complete his new weapon, Chitkree starts to take up training with a former Black Fist member as he attempts to learn ways to further master his fighting, while Zrukz almost ends up in trouble with the Welcomers as he tries to learn more about the secretive thieves guild.

Once again the party is a few members short as Aramil & Vess decides to travel on from the city, while Augustine pauses his adventuring and instead chooses to devote more time as a member of the Quiet Faithful of Lysander.

One day, you go on an early evening walk through Phlan. Cool, early evening-air blows through a narrow street. The streets are bustling with famished laborers out for a meal, vendors hawking their wares, and grimy sailors looking for moorage at barstools. The evening's peace is broken by a burly Black Fist guard who pushes himself through the rabble and drives a nail through a sheet of parchment with a stout hammer, affixing it to a sign post. In bold, black print it says "Wanted for Thievery Most Cunning."

Looking at the sign post, you see other posters of a similar nature. The most recent addition details the crimes of a man named Spernik including theft, breaching the peace, rendering aid to the enemies of Phlan among other lesser offences. There is also a caricature of a young, male human. He appears to have protruding rat-like ears and beady eyes, although you're not sure about how much of that could be attributed to artistic license. The sign reads, "Reward Promised by the Lord Sage of Phlan" and bears an official-looking seal.
OOC:
Davin & Donkog, please feel free to introduce your characters at this point
Feb 12, 2024 5:52 pm
Deep in his hooded cloak Chitkree studies the sign a moment before checking with good companions telepathically Bounty hunting could price interesting. To be honest a nice simple mortal seems a nice break street or recent jobs with undead.
But if they are paying these everywhere competition might be a problem. I wonder what he did...
What do you think?

The thri-kreen still keeps his appearance hidden in public and let's good companions do most of the interactions needed. He misses having the paladin around to be the parties face for the public.
Feb 12, 2024 9:51 pm
I've wasted a few days and some money trying to get some intel on thieves. I'm tired. goblin makes a moment to attempt think - not one of his usual experiences - and exclaims Ha, I know. We throw a public party for rich people and the thieve will come to rob our guests! That's where we catch him

He obviously have no idea of how to technically implement his idea or what would that cost.
Feb 12, 2024 11:00 pm
Davin, with his hair flowing in the breeze continues to play his viol, the tune he plays is a joyous little shanty, he dances in a square shape, so that he does not bother the others around him, but still gives more to his performance.

But when the guard comes around and sticks something to the post, and he becomes curious as to what is written on it, he also touches his pouch and notices that it has become light recently, another incentive for him to look.

"Sorry everyone, a little break to see what the big, burly man has come to show us." He said to those around him, his voice low, soft, warm like melted chocolate. He walks over to the sign, reads the contents and then turns to the people.

"It seems that we have some law breaking brute among us, a man by the name of Spernik, a most interesting looking person, wanted for theft, breaching the peace, rendering aid to the enemies of Phlan! Oh, a most vile man indeed! Clearly he is a menace to you, the people and should be stopped, but who will take on such a task? I perhaps could," he said, working up the people in the area. "Even though I'm a stranger in your town, I've felt the love of this place and feel compelled to aid in ridding you of this criminal and making the streets safe once again! But I may not be able to do this alone, he could be part of a gang! Or worse servant to an evil wizard! Who can I call to join me in this most important mission?" He hen asked the crowd.
Feb 12, 2024 11:12 pm
https://i.imgur.com/omGwBZ7.png
Leaning against a nearby building, people-watching. A crimson-skinned hobgoblin stands nearby. His long, flowing black hair is braided and runs past his shoulders. A simple shield is on his back, along with a bow and quiver. Two hand axes coated with dried blood hang at his sides.

Once the Black Fist tacks up the note, he waits for a crowd to pass before heading over to take a look.
He groans as this Bardish fool begins showboating and drawing a crowd. He stands nearby and shakes his head thinking to himself. He is going to get himself killed. Bringing so much attention to going after a wanted criminal.
Last edited February 12, 2024 11:18 pm
Feb 12, 2024 11:45 pm
Pierce is fiddling with a new contraption. Without looking up, the large metal man addresses the goblin with his deep, rough voice. "We do not know what he stole. Rich guests may not draw him to our party if he stole... say, secrets?"

He cocks his head and spins the device on a finger, nodding appreciatively as he slides the do-dad into a leather thong on his hip. "There have been a lot of undead recently. When I was newly created, I believed the dead usually stayed dead. I am now... uncertain that is the case."

Looking around, he spies the post and the entertainer making a big production about it. Pierce simply walks up to the board, reaches past the man, pulls down the past and returns to his comrades.
Feb 13, 2024 6:00 pm
Pierce, my metal friend, you make sense as always. Best course of action is to have fun at the Laughing Goblin and keep ayes open.
Goblin is almost ready to leave, when you notice Davin Holt announcing his interest in catching criminal, but admitting to have no party.
You know what?! Zrukz address Davin We will be ready to reinforce you in the act of taking out that bandit. Please find me at the Laughing Goblin when you have any idea where to find that man. I'll pick my friends and we could do the job all together, sharing the risks and helping each other!
Feb 14, 2024 3:17 pm
OOC:
I'll let you guys RP a bit if you'd like, otherwise are you going to the Laughing Goblin for rumours and intel?
Feb 15, 2024 2:38 pm
Zrukz is going to the Laughing Goblin.
OOC:
I was trying to figure out a way to involve in conversation with 2 strangers and why would be all want to combine our efforts on intel gathering.... no idea how. Perhaps other players have a better idea for a RP here
Feb 15, 2024 3:13 pm
OOC:
ditto to Grey's comments. I assumed that was why Pierce grabbed the flyer as the "hook" to get them to talk. On to the Goblin
Feb 15, 2024 3:30 pm
OOC:
That waa my hope, yes.
Feb 15, 2024 3:52 pm
OOC:
we can always hand wave the chit chat and just say they are joining as temporary allies do to shared interests and fear of competition from the publicity of the posted notices
Feb 15, 2024 3:58 pm
OOC:
I was sort of waiting for more from Davin. I am more of a strong and silent type. Waiting for Tavern chat.
Feb 15, 2024 4:05 pm
OOC:
great we have strong silent warrior, mute telepathic thief, eccentric goblin mage, hmmm ..all business(?) warforged, and a shy bard? Great PI firm 😀
Feb 15, 2024 7:28 pm
"Hey, I was looking at that." Davin said as he watches the piece of parchment be taken from the post, dammit, maybe that's what I should have done, will have to make a mental note of that. He then thought to himself.

He hears the goblin and his own pointed ears twitch at the sound of it's voice.

"Excellent! You see, when asked, all kinds of allies will show themselves. Good goblin, I will meet you at, what was it called again? Laughing Goblin? With information that will help aid in our case." He says, but before he moves from his place, Davin looks around to see if anyone in the area was acting suspicious as he was speaking.
OOC:
I would like to see if anyone in the area was acting suspicious as I spoke, was someone trying to keep their face hidden or looking to argue the charges that were said. If nothing, than I will head to find the Lord Sage of Phlan to ask him some questions before meeting the others at the Laughing Goblin.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+2)

(19) + 2 = 21

Feb 16, 2024 2:10 pm
Davin, you keep a watchful eye on the crowd as you move through it, however no one seems to be standing out to you as being suspicious. You move to Scholar's Square where Mantor's Library is located. Sun-bleached colonnades frame the austere facade of the library. A solitary bench sits next to a tranquil pond at the fore of the property in the center of the square. The grounds are well manicured and festooned with blooming flowers and other local flora. Despite the hour being perhaps on the late side, you're almost immediately greeted upon entering the building by a older male half-elf who introduces himself as the Lord Sage, "How may I be of assistance?"

Does anyone else go with Davin or are everyone else going to the inn? Public

Inn
Lord Sage
Feb 16, 2024 2:59 pm
Curious about the bard Chitkree tells Pierce and Zrukz that he will catch and and follows the bard to the library.
Feb 21, 2024 11:44 am
Davin, as you make your way over to the Lord Sage, you do notice that the goblin's...friend? A strange four-armed being, is following you silently.

Meanwhile, Zrukz, Pierce & Donkog, you make it over to the Laughing Goblin and some of the regulars greet Zrukz very warmly as you are known for your chaotic exuberance that is sure to liven up an evening. The bartender, Imizar, and the waiter, "Fat" Mar, nods in acknowledgment as you enter, although both look fairly busy as the place is full of dining patrons.
Feb 21, 2024 11:31 pm
The half-orc unfortunately didn't notice anyone acting suspicious at the post, but still felt that he should gather information from the one reporting it. He makes his way down but couldn't help but feel a presence following him.

Davin looks back at the creature and recognizes it as a comrade of the goblin that offered to help.

"You make me feel uneasy being all the way back there, like I'm getting sized up to be mugged, come, I see you're as interested as me in finding any information about this case. Besides having you close by WILL in fact deter people from trying to do me harm." He said as he waited for Chitkree to come to him.
OOC:
Will see the reaction, then will move back to speaking to Lord Sage.
Feb 22, 2024 2:36 am
Shrugging Chitkree move to join the half-orc. Reaching out with his mind Chitree establishes a telepathic comunication link. No offense meant. I can not speak the common tongue, as i lack one entirely, and have to use this form of communication to be understood by your kind.

I was curious about your interest in this task. Have you experience with this sort of endever? My companions and I have completed a few tasks recently but without the backing of a large guild constatnly find ourselves seeking new commisions and often new memberes as well as few have to stomach to pursue this lifestyle.
Feb 22, 2024 6:20 pm
In the Laughing Goblin Zrukz feels like fish in a water. He is trying to speak with every dining patron willing to hear his story about Valhingen Graveyard robbery. He hope his talking about robbery would open mouths to those who has their own experience with Thievery, hoping to get some pointers to that Spernik.
Feb 22, 2024 8:35 pm
OOC:
Zrukz, give me a persuasion check. Chitkree & Davin are conversing. Donkog & Pierce, anything you’d like to do?
Feb 22, 2024 9:20 pm
OOC:
let's see

Rolls

Persuasion - (1d20+5)

(5) + 5 = 10

Feb 22, 2024 11:57 pm
OOC:
Just passing time till we reach the library to talk with the Lord Sage
Feb 23, 2024 12:03 am
The hobgoblin sits down at a lone table, and watches the goblin make the rounds, telling his tale.
If the talkative goblin approaches his table, he gives them a simple request to Zrukz to sit and join him.
Feb 23, 2024 1:54 am
Pierce will simply sit patiently and await the return of Chitkree.
Feb 23, 2024 8:54 pm
Davin had dealt with messages that came through the mind before, wasn't the biggest fan of it, but that was because his former manager and stage director would use magic like this to yell at the actors to get them in their places or insult them for not hitting a note among other things.

"Very interesting, a creature that has no way to verbally speak so you speak through the mind, the world is truly fascinating," he replied within his mind and then reached into his pockets and flipped the pockets inside out. "I could use the coin, I have some people to entertain down the road and arriving with no money is often a deal breaker, yes, I have some experience with such tasks as this, the more that I get to use this guy," he pointed to his mouth, "the better off I usually am."

They then continued to walk.

"So you mentioned guilds, are you looking to join one?" He asked.
Feb 23, 2024 9:00 pm
Zrukz, you dramatically retell your story about the Valhingen grave robbers, but it has probably lost a bit of its lustre by the sheer amount of times it’s already been retold in this place over the past week. It at least doesn’t command quite the attention you hoped for and definitely doesn’t bring forth anyone willing to trade a thieves tale back to you. You do see an unknown hobgoblin who beckons you to his table.
OOC:
Chitkree & Davin, if you prefer you can also RP with the Lord Sage with the scene description I gave earlier
Feb 25, 2024 3:21 pm
OOC:
I'm worse at what I do best. And for this gift, I feel blessed.
- Kurt Cobain
Zrukz sit at the table with hobgoblin (Donkog) not even asking for a permission and start conversation.
First time in The Laughing? Sure you are! First drink on me and let's meet each other. I'm Zrukz - the one who talks with the ghosts, should you seek guidance of your ancestors...
Goblin makes pause to evaluate reaction and see if there is any business possible with the hobgoblin, but realized it is better to change theme:
But what brings you to Phlan ?
Feb 25, 2024 4:43 pm
"It's been a while since I roamed these parts. I don't think I have been here yet. Interesting place. " He takes a drink of the ale. "Looking to the past for insight in the present. You are wiser than most green ones I have met. " He looks around the club for the outspoken orcs, not seeing them. He sighs and shrugs. " You have a group that seems capable and a possible job. I want in.
Feb 25, 2024 6:21 pm
[ +- ] history
Figuring this man is likely similar to the college deans he saw on campus while studying Chitkree gives a slight bow as he pulls back his cloak. Lord sage, we beg your pardon for this intrusion but we come to inquire after this villian you put on notice. One Spernik? Can you or one of your staff provide any additional information on the crimes he has committed so that we my more quickly apprehend him?
Last edited February 25, 2024 6:21 pm
Feb 26, 2024 11:42 am
Chitkree, the Lord Sage grows more serious as you mention the name Spernik. "Ah yes, a matter most grave. Spernik and his partner, Tibeem, were hired as scribes at the library about four months ago. They were skilled at their jobs, but not exceptional. Two days ago, they were caught sneaking out of my offices and when I questioned what they were doing there, they fled. I summoned the Black Fist and they gave chase. Spernik escaped, but Tibeem was caught and taken to Stojanow Gate...although not before slaying a Black Fist guard.". The Lord Sage sighs deeply, he's obviously troubled by the whole scenario. "I searched Spernik & Tibeem's room and found two rare tomes that had previously been stored in my personal library. When the books were taken back to be filed, two clever forgeries were already on the shelf in their place. Upon comparing the original tomes to the forged copies, each contained subtle factual inaccuracies; it seems that the two scribes intentionally changed the content of the forgeries. The books were found packed in a large haversack along with other equipment typically associated with an extended expedition; extra clothes, rope, food and water, etc.

I believe that Spernik may have stolen and stashed away other books, so if you plan to kill him they may be lost forever. I'm willing to offer 50 gp to bring the thief to justice and an additional 100 gp for the safe return of any other books or tomes that were stolen from the library."
Feb 26, 2024 1:20 pm
OOC:
OK, I just want that Havrsack! Any good negotiators here? sigh
Individuals posing as scribes yet skilled enough to kil a guard? This seems suspicious. While they worked here did they ever mention their past? Where they were from? Giver refferences? And could you perhaps get your staff to assist with a better picture and description. The one posted seemed rather odd so I am unsure to its accuracy.
As you pointed out their forgeries were designed to repalce with changes. Perhaps understanding what those changes affect may give a clue as to their reasoning and therfor their purpose which may lead us to be able to anticipate them. Can you review the changes and explain them to us pelase?
Feb 26, 2024 8:32 pm
Davin listens as the man speaks to Chitkree, although he couldn't hear his part of the conversation, he was able to gather enough information from Lord Sage about what was going on.

"This is quite the tragedy for the academic world, having the contents of books changed can have terrible consequences to those who read them, I completely understand why you would want him captured." He said to Lord Sage.

"A couple things on my end, what were the titles and authors of these rare books, as well as the correct contents that were written in them? Can we look at the evidence that was found, the haversack, and the other equipment? And can we get a chance speak to interrogate this Tibeem? I know that he might be keeping his mouth shut at the moment, but I have ways of having people open up to me." He asked.
Feb 26, 2024 9:36 pm
We - group? Nah! Yes we had been though quite some adventures with the metal man and the bug, but anyone is welcome. The more the merrier.
Sitting with Donkog Zrukz continue talking a lot of positive while saying nothing
Feb 27, 2024 12:20 am
"Are you the Spokes Goblin of the group? Should I speak with the others?" He finishes his ale and waves for another.
"Is it just the three of you?
Feb 27, 2024 3:54 pm
Chitkree & Davin, the Lord Sage nods and motions for you to follow him. "I'll take you to their room. They mostly kept to themselves, we have many scribes who come and go. You should be able to get to see Tibeem, I went to see him in his cell, but he refused to say anything to me. Maybe, you'll have better luck.".

You walk through the Scribe's Hall. Rows of writing tables and high stools are arranged around the perimeter of the room. The din of quills scratching parchment fills the room as scribes work at their desks, though two are notably empty. The Lord Sage identifies the desks as being assigned to Spernik and Tibeem. "Feel free to talk to the scribes as well. Maybe they know something of value, although I haven't learned much information from them. The two forged books are called The History of the North & Lex Geographica. The original The History of the North had a chapter referencing the Circle of Scale, a sect of druids that sought to enslave dragons. This chapter was missing from the forgery. The original Lex Geographica contained an entry referring to a circle of standing stones located in the Dragonspine Mountains, at which a group of dragon-worshipping druids once resided. This entry was missing from the forgery.".

He leads you to a small room furnished with a bunk bed, a narrow desk, and two small dressers. "We left the room untouched, the books were found in the haversack". He motions towards the haversack on the desk. It contains equipment which you would typically associate with an extended expedition; extra clothes, rope,food and water, etc.
Feb 27, 2024 4:32 pm
OOC:
so not a magical handy haversack? Sigh.
Chitkree begins inventorying the contents of the pack and room looking for anything hidden or unusual while Tikcha sniffs around (advantage for scent only)

Rolls

Investigation + guidance - (1d20+5+1d4)

(12) + (1) + 5 = 18

Perception - (1d20+4)

(14) + 4 = 18

Tikcha Perception (advantage) - (2d20H1+5)

(1213) + 5 = 18

Feb 27, 2024 8:14 pm
OOC:
Nope, sorry, just a big ol’ regular sack
Chitkree, you explore the room and by one of the dressers, you find a false panel. In the compartment behind it, you find two sets of black and purple clothing, each emblazoned with the livery of a low-ranking member of the Cult of the Dragon. An outfit you recognise from some of the cultists you fought on the ship on the Moonsea.
Feb 28, 2024 2:59 pm
OOC:
OK let's continue the intro while the two are investigating
A job?! A wealthy man accuse other man of doing thing less terrible than things I've seen local guards perform... Zrukz is unsure if there is even a real job to do, but he keep conversation with Donkog, who sounds desperate for a job :

You can speak to metal man over there goblin points out Pierce He likes tea, though he don't much need to drink or eat... not sure how does that work goblin shrug and smile.
I can later introduce you to the bug man. There have been others, not seen them lately. As I told you - we are no "group", which means you don't need anyone to let you in - count yourself in already
Feb 28, 2024 4:05 pm
If they're is nothing else then Chitkree will head back to report their findings to the Lord Sage when Davin is ready. He explains what he knows of the cult, mostly from his recent interactions with the egg and isle, and asks if the Sage has any other information on the cult that might be useful. He suggests the Sage check for other books that may have, or had, references to dragons or their cult.
Last edited March 1, 2024 7:34 pm
Feb 28, 2024 8:19 pm
Chitkree, the Lord Sage nods and agrees that he will look at those books as the most likely to have been stolen. "Although without knowing exactly what we’re looking for, it will take a while. I know quite a bit about everything or at least will have an idea of where to find it, what would you like to know about this cult?"

Rolls

Secret Roll

Mar 1, 2024 11:40 am
OOC:
Is there anything else you’d like to do or ask before meeting up with the rest?
Mar 1, 2024 7:34 pm
Chitkree thanks the man for his assistance ready to return to the others
Mar 1, 2024 7:36 pm
Davin looks at the clothing but doesn't recognize the colour arrangement or the symbols on it. After finding nothing else, the group of three join together, but they matched so that meant something.

"Umm, no I think we have everything, I think we might be able to get more from the captured prisoner. If we find out anything useful, we'll be sure to come back and let you know about it." He said to Lord Sage, when the doors shut and it was just the two of them, he looked to Chitkree.

"Have you seen those robes or those markings before? I haven't, but I know that they match in colour scheme and markings, so they were both a part of something." He asked his comrade.
Mar 1, 2024 8:43 pm
Those are common among members of the Cult of the Dragon. We've encountered them before. They seem to be gearing up for something as they are unusually active for the last several weeks in the area, if not longer.
Mar 4, 2024 12:44 pm
Chitkree & Davin, you head back to the Laughing Goblin and Chitkree quickly spots Pierce & Zrukz, who are sitting next to a hobgoblin that you haven't seen before.
OOC:
I'll assume that you relay everything that you've learned to the rest
Mar 4, 2024 8:06 pm
Davin rolls into the Laughing Goblin and follows Chitkree to the group where they meet a hobgoblin with them.

"Well, our venture has proven to have given us some good intel, I'll let your friend explain what we were able to find since he has quite the unique ability." He said to the group as he then raised his hand in the air so that he could get someone to take his order.

"Or is this more of a, you have to go to the bar yourself to get a drink around here?" He asked the group.
Mar 5, 2024 10:46 am
So Chitkree what is that we need to do now? Any particular location we must visit or a person ?
OOC:
Looks like scenario is railroading us to that Stojanow Gate and have a chat with the Black Fists we have had so terrible experience with. So we just go there, don't we?
Mar 5, 2024 1:35 pm
More Dragon cult goons Chitkree sighs telepathically to the group. He explains what transpires and what they learned.
OOC:
Is it too late to try to get more information on the Dragon cult, a copy of section about the druids in the Dragonspire mountains and some notes on the Circle of Scale?
Mar 5, 2024 8:10 pm
OOC:
I’ll say that you can have given the Lord Sage your questions, but he needs time for research. Let me know what you’d like to know.

You can go to Stojanow Gate if you’d like?
"Fat" Mar sees Davin’s hand and walks over, "What would it be?"
OOC:
Zrukz, give me an insight check with advantage
Mar 5, 2024 8:34 pm
"Just a beer please and thank you gorgeous." He ordered giving a wink to Mar, he then looked to the group again.

"I think if I can get near the captured one, I can convince them to give up their friend." He said with great confidence.

"I could have been a great inquisitor if my life hadn't gone the way it did I believe. As much as I like to see he cheers and joy of a crowd watching my performance, I do like seeing a person break." He chuckled.
Mar 6, 2024 8:26 am
OOC:
insightful goblin :)

Rolls

Insight (advantage) - (2d20H1+3)

(131) + 3 = 16

Mar 6, 2024 1:04 pm
Questions for the Lord Sage says:

1. What is the origin on the name of the Dragonspire mountains
2. See if there is anyy connciton between the circle of the scale and the circle of stones.
3.Are there any prophesies the cult has that may point to this time/place or recent events? (explain other dealings with the cult)
4. Are there any known methods for identifying cult members or for membrs to identify and verify each other? (potentail to take a couple robes and impersonate a member . . . not me but another peerhaps)
Mar 6, 2024 2:21 pm
OOC:
Zrukz, I'll say that you know "Fat" Mar well enough at this point due to all the time you've spent in here. If you want gossip in Phlan, Mar is your guy.

Chitkree, your questions have been noted and the next time you see the Lord Sage, he might have some answers
Davin, Mar looks at you with a cocked eyebrow, but doesn't say anything as he nods and moments later returns with a mug of ale.
Mar 6, 2024 2:37 pm
"The Cult of the Dragon is certainly becoming an issue, it would seem," Pierce observes. "It makes me wonder if they have some larger goal we should be wary of."
Mar 6, 2024 2:39 pm
OOC:
Sassafras says:
The bartender, Imizar, and the waiter, "Fat" Mar, nods in acknowledgment as you enter, although both look fairly busy as the place is full of dining patrons.
Zrukz is eccentric, but not egocentric. He would collect all types of gossips at any time when Fat Mar isn't busy
Mar 6, 2024 3:36 pm
Shall we go check on they prisoner after this or is there another lead?
Mar 6, 2024 4:58 pm
The hobgolin that was hanging out with Zrukz stands and greets the bug man and the metal man. "I wish to join you and aid you on your currently job. I just arrive in town and I am looking for work. I spoke with the goblin Zrukz, He said I should introduce myself."
He offers a hand to shake. "I am Donkog. At your service."
Mar 6, 2024 5:12 pm
Let everyone finish their drinks, Zruks look at Davin who just got his first mug then let this braggart's impress us with his performance at Stojanow Gate.
Zrukz suggests (or probably just puts in words what everyone have decided already).
Mar 7, 2024 2:52 pm
You finish your drinks before heading over to Stojanow Gate. The massive walls of Valjevo Castle tower above you. The massive iron-bound doors of Stojanow Gate are spread wide open as they have been for over one hundred years. From the top of the wall, bodies hang from thick rope; twisting slowly in the breeze while ravens peck away at the tastier morsels. Despite the time of the day, a long line of people are lined up at a desk where a bored looking guard thumbs through an enormous ledger.
Mar 7, 2024 2:53 pm
Pierce looks at the line and wordlessly gets at the end of it, seemingly quite content to simply wait their turn.
Mar 7, 2024 11:17 pm
"Pleasant place, remind me never to end up behind bars here, just kill me." Davin said as they entered.

He noticed the line and stepped in the back with Pierce but tapped the person in front of them on the shoulder.

"Are you waiting to see someone in there? Or what is the reason for the line?" He asked.
Mar 7, 2024 11:36 pm
"I think this is the line to be arrested. Guards are so good in these parts, people send themselves to jail." The Hobgob stands next to Pierce. "Should we try and get the line moving faster?"
Mar 8, 2024 12:52 am
"Probably not," comes the deep, rumbling reply."It does not seem wise to do anything that may be considered 'disruptive.' Do not give them a reason to find you guilty."
Last edited March 8, 2024 12:53 am
Mar 8, 2024 4:12 am
With a mental shrug to his companions We may not need to wait. I will check Muttering a quick spell fo Guidance Chitkree moves towards the gate to the castle to listen and look. He wants to hear what the guards with the paper is doing and see if there are other gate guards or others passing in and out.
OOC:
Rolls are to look innocent/unthreatening and/or not draw attention from the guards

Rolls

Deception + Guidance - (1d20+1+1d4)

(16) + (2) + 1 = 19

Stealth - (1d20+9)

(14) + 9 = 23

Mar 8, 2024 9:45 pm
Davin, the man in front looks a bit strangely at you, "Why it’s to report a crime of course! Someone stole my cat!"

Chitkree, the guard quickly looks up as the strange voice suddenly reverberates through his head. He does recognise you however, "What is it you want? I’m just recording the reports that all these *ahem* fine people are arriving with"
Mar 9, 2024 1:44 am
We are assisting the Lord Sage with the investigation of the wanted criminal that was posted earlier this day. We understand that one of the perpetrators was apprehended and is being kept within the keep. The Sage instructed us to question this person that we might ascertain the whereabouts of the others that assisted him in his crimes.

May we pass to see the prisoner?
Mar 11, 2024 6:45 pm
OOC:
Give me a persuasion check
Mar 11, 2024 6:49 pm
Chitkree does not smile, that never works with flesh bags, ummm . . . humans
Last edited March 11, 2024 6:50 pm

Rolls

Persuasion - (1d20+1)

(19) + 1 = 20

Mar 11, 2024 8:21 pm
The guard chuckles, "Ah yes, Tibeem was it? I’m afraid he’s not very talkative at this point", he points upwards behind you and as you follow his direction, you see that he’s pointing at one of the dead bodies hanging from the gate. "As for his friend the fugitive, we heard of someone fitting his description travelling towards the Dragonspine Mountains. But that’s way out of our jurisdiction, ergo not really my problem". He reaches into a drawer in the desk and hands you a small piece of paper, "All he had on him was this". It just reads "Sheaf of
vellum (1), chalk dust (1lb sack), leather case"
Mar 11, 2024 9:58 pm
He asks the guard Any chance we could set the items in question? It may help us in out efforts to serve the Lord Sage.

and relays all he has learned back to Pierce and the others then asks
Do we hit the road and try to catch up or keep digging around for clues?
Last edited March 11, 2024 10:31 pm
Mar 11, 2024 10:26 pm
"By the gods who would do such a thing! Tell me, what is your cat's name? And what does your cat look like? I, Davin, will make it my personal mission in life to find it and bring it back to you!! He said, greatly angered by the fact that someone would steal a cat!
Mar 12, 2024 10:52 pm
Chitkree, the guard looks dumbfounded for a second before realising the mix up, "No, dummy. He literally only had this note. Don’t know why he had it, maybe a shopping list? Now can I please get on with this?", he motions towards the line of people who are getting steadily more impatient.

Davin, the man gets more animated as you show interest in his plight, "My little Scruffles is sort of grey, and black, and also a bit white and also maybe has a little bit of reddish brown fur. I for one think it’s my neighbour who took it! He’s been eying that cat the moment I brought it home. He told me to keep it away from him and his pet mice. But I know it’s a ruse and that he just wants it for himself!"
Mar 13, 2024 7:08 pm
"Your neighbour will pay the price if it is true that they had something to do with your missing cat! No one steals a precious thing like that and gets away with it!" He told told the man, now holding his hands and staring into the soul of the man as a single tear falls down from his left eye.

"Scruffles will be found! I swear it!"
Mar 13, 2024 8:33 pm
Grumbling about miss communication Chitkree returns to the others.

Giving an odd look to Davin he queries So, who's good at tracking? It seems the quarry has fled the city
Mar 13, 2024 9:54 pm
Davin, the man puts his forehead against yours and thanks you deeply.
OOC:
Are you planning on going straight towards the mountains?
Mar 15, 2024 7:44 pm
Davin holds his head against his and whispers.

"Your neighbour will burn, either in this life, or in the Nine Hells, if it is found that they have taken your cat, I promise you this. Now where do you live?" He asks before they separate and he pats the man on his left shoulder, without looking at the others, he holds up a hand to gesture to hold one one moment.

"I'm not terrible, I did play a bounty hunter in a play once, and studied a Ranger to learn their ways, I take my roles very seriously." He replied mentally.
Mar 16, 2024 8:58 pm
OOC:
So are you going straight off to the mountains or do you try to do more investigating beforehand?
Mar 16, 2024 11:03 pm
Pierce.will set off for the wanted man, unless someone.can convince him to wait.
Mar 16, 2024 11:31 pm
Chitkree will follow Pierce. I just wish we had a better description me mutters telepathically to Pierce and Zrukz.

To Donkog and Davin he sends You coming?
Mar 17, 2024 9:22 am
OOC:
I'm back from vacation, looks like not missed much
Guys, what's written there? Zrukz who is not educated enough to read any language double check with companions and suggest probably dumb idea - Can we get these items with us. No idea why, just in case.
OOC:
Can I buy Sheaf of vellum (1), chalk dust (1lb sack), leather case before going? Otherwise good to go
Mar 18, 2024 8:28 pm
Zrukz, absolutely. You know that Cockburn Groceries is the most likely place to get them and you go to buy the things on the list. As you do, the proprietor Ted Staslep gives you a funny look, "Huh, that’s the second time in a week that someone puts in that very specific order"
OOC:
If I haven’t heard anything by tomorrow from the other two, I’ll assume that they’re okay with the plan
Mar 19, 2024 7:21 pm
OOC:
I'm good, if we're good to go let's do it!
Davin hears the words within his head and responds.

Coming! Was just making sure that I remember about the cat when we get back! No one steals another person's pet! He replied.

"If the rest of you were wondering what me and the kind fellow in front of us was talking about, his cat was stolen, and I am determined to get it back, by force if necessary, but we'll deal with that when we get back."
Mar 20, 2024 12:10 am
Donkog is just beside following the group. Keeping an eye out for any trouble and keeping to himself.
"Thanks for letting me join along. It has been lonely on the road traveling by myself."
Mar 20, 2024 12:16 am
"Isn't the term people use when another living being is taken by force "kidnapped?"" Pierce will ask Davin as they walk. ""Stolen" implies some form of ownership. But a cat is not an item, it is a living being."
Mar 20, 2024 8:31 pm
You decide to adjourn for the night and leave first thing in the morning. The trek towards the mountains takes you two uneventful days, but finally you reach the foothills around midday on the third. The rolling hills are peppered with large boulders, likely falling millennia ago from the mountains looming above. Finally, you reach a large clearing with a 60-foot wide circle of 20-foot tall stones standing in the middle. Dozens of recently made footprints in the dusty soil leads towards the middle of the circle.
OOC:
Everyone give me a perception check

Rolls

Secret Roll

Secret Roll

Secret Roll

Mar 21, 2024 12:41 am
"Lots of footprints," comes the deep, rumbling observation.

Rolls

Perception (WIS) - (1d20+3)

(7) + 3 = 10

Mar 21, 2024 12:54 am
Standing beside Pierce, Donkog pulls out his bow. "Yeah. I don't like it..."

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+3)

(7) + 3 = 10

Mar 21, 2024 3:12 am
Chitkree sends Tikcha aloft to search the area from above, circling the clearing before landing to sniff at the tracks. As Tikcha circles a couple of times Chitkree looks around for other signs with a murmured prayer for Guidance.

Rolls

Perception + Guidance - (1d20+4+1d4)

(6) + (3) + 4 = 13

Tikcha Perception (advantage smell only) - (2d20H1+5)

(1218) + 5 = 23

Mar 21, 2024 4:55 am
I don't like how bolders stare at me

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+1)

(16) + 1 = 17

Mar 22, 2024 8:57 pm
Among the boulders ahead you all spot 8 incredibly poorly hidden kobolds. Tikcha, thanks to her much higher vantage point, spots an additional 4 winged kobolds.
Mar 25, 2024 12:42 am
Upon spotting the threat Chitkree makes sure the team is all aware by relaying messages telepathically and he pretends to continue his examinations. Then uses his small size, his larger companions, and the rough terrain he will find an opportunity to conceal himself if possible while Tikcha finds a safe vantage point to observe things.
[ +- ] Chameleon
OOC:
Oh, wow, I'm invisible :P Must not be any good cover, sigh. Maybe I will distract some with my antics
Last edited March 25, 2024 12:43 am

Rolls

Stealth (advantage) - (2d20H1+9)

(32) + 9 = 12

+ Guidance - (1d4)

(1) = 1

Mar 25, 2024 12:52 am
"Should we expect a fight? Maybe one of us should go and talk with them. See what they want." Donkog keeps his bow ready and follows a few of the flying ones. "Or are you a fight first ask questions later sort of group?"
Mar 25, 2024 1:21 am
Pierce looks around before replying.

"Their positioning suggests they do not intend to talk," he points out. "However, if you'd like to converse, feel free."
Mar 25, 2024 1:30 am
Listening he Chitkree joins in telepathically Everytime we encounter them they are fanatics of the dragon cult, but sure, try
Mar 25, 2024 10:06 pm
Davin had followed the group on their journey, his mind lost about the cat. He agreed with Pierce that the cat had been kidnapped and not stolen.

But the small conversations stopped as it seemed some of the group was able to catch the sight of kobolds, a discussion had begun about whether to make an offensive move, or to communicate with the creatures.

"Ah, well, that is where I can be of use." He said as he was sure to first be behind the group, he quickly sang a little tune and moved his hands with some salt and soot and then rubbed his hands over his ears. He then stepped forward.

"Just be ready to get physical if this doesn't workout." He mumbled to the group.

"Hello there! Fellow followers of the dragon! You might not recognize us, but we were sent to the city to find out what happened to our little saboteurs, we found that one of our brothers had escaped, thank the dragon, but the other, well the other did not do so well. But we made sure that he would never tell what was going on here." He lied as he ran a finger over his neck, indicating that they had killed him.

"We need to report the rest of what we found, to the rest of our brothers and sisters. Let them know that our secrets are safe, and we can continue without being disturbed."
OOC:
OOC in case I roll a 9 or lower, my roll immediately becomes a 10, plus my skill in deception, it's an automatic 18.

Rolls

Deception Expertise - (1d20+8)

(8) + 8 = 16

Mar 29, 2024 9:07 am
As Davin finishes his spiel, you only hear the sound of a light breeze washing through the rocks before a croaking voice speaks in broken common, "Spernik not say nothing about more people going...". A scaled face peeks out from behind the rocks, "Spernik say, if anyone go here. You kill."

Rolls

Kobold insight check DC18 - (1d20-2)

(11) - 2 = 9

Winged kobold insight check DC18 - (1d20-2)

(13) - 2 = 11

Mar 29, 2024 2:56 pm
Looking through Tikcha's eyes for a moment Chitkree telepathically relays to the others the locations of all of the kobolds along with weapons and other tactical information. He then check if there is a place he can get out of the kobolds line of sight to hide. (Just let me know if I can roll stealth again. If not then he stays with the other.) As Davin and the kobold talk, Chitkree will then focus on the one talking and relay information on that one to Davin.
Apr 2, 2024 5:39 pm
OOC:
I’ll say that the last stealth check covers this.

What about the rest of you guys?
Apr 2, 2024 6:12 pm
OOC:
OK, how about my Goblin's "smart" ideas
Spernik?! Since when kobolds are man's minions? I brought you everything you need to do it all your own Zrukz throw on the ground the items he recently purchased: Sheaf of vellum, chalk dust sack and leather case.
Hoping that this would attract at least a moment of their attention he would try to disengage to also find some safe place.
OOC:
I assume I need to roll something, persuasion perhaps As I'm neither lie nor intimidate. Though I'm just trying to win some time

Rolls

Persuasion - (1d20+5)

(8) + 5 = 13

Apr 2, 2024 6:53 pm
OOC:
Pierce was going to just shoot them, but others wanted to talk. Pierce is still willing to shoot them.
Apr 3, 2024 10:42 pm
"That's because Spernik doesn't want everyone to know their plans! Come on, does Spernik tell you everything that they do or plan in a day? Think about it, how would we know to come here and that we would be met by our own? Instead of attacking, we know to come with open arms and friendly smiles because we get to be with our own again. How would we have the items that they left behind? We are your friends, your brothers, you can trust us!" He said to the kobolds, continuing with his lies.
OOC:
18 Deception again.
Last edited April 3, 2024 10:43 pm

Rolls

Deception (Expertise) - (1d20+8)

(8) + 8 = 16

Apr 4, 2024 7:56 pm
The kobolds step out and lower their daggers, seemingly happy with Davin and Zrukz’ explanations. However the winged kobolds screech, "No you idiots, we no trust weird persons! Kill them or Spernik gets mad!"
OOC:
They might have -2 to insight but a nat 20 is a nat 20 🤷‍♂️

2 of you get to act before the winged kobolds
[ +- ] Order of Combat

Rolls

Secret Roll

Secret Roll

Kobold initiative - (1d20+2)

(3) + 2 = 5

Winged kobold initiative - (1d20+3)

(13) + 3 = 16

Zrukz: Initiative - (1d20+2)

(11) + 2 = 13

Davin Holt: Initiative - (1d20+3)

(20) + 3 = 23

Pierce: Initiative: - (1d20+4)

(8) + 4 = 12

Chitkree: Initiative:Dex(5)+Mod( 0 )= - (1d20+5)

(14) + 5 = 19

Donkog initiative - (1d20+3)

(5) + 3 = 8

Apr 5, 2024 1:58 am
Cursing at the failed manipulations Chitkree moves to engage the enemy.
OOC:
AC:20 HP:28/28
Move and attack, dual wield melee if possible otherwise bow
How far to the kobold, winged? Do they have cover, can we move to cover?
Last edited April 5, 2024 2:00 am

Rolls

Attack - Hit - (1d20+7, 1d20+7)

1d20+7 : (16) + 7 = 23

1d20+7 : (19) + 7 = 26

damage (rapier, shortsword/shortbow) - (1d8+5, 1d6+5)

1d8+5 : (5) + 5 = 10

1d6+5 : (2) + 5 = 7

Apr 8, 2024 1:15 pm
OOC:
I'll try and get a map up, maybe tonight. The kobolds believed you guys, so they've stepped out from behind cover. The winged kobolds are behind the standing stones. There's probably one more kobold within melee distance apart from the one you just eviscerated
Chitkree, sensing the danger, you immediately rush forward and behead the nearest kobold before it has a chance to take up arms against you. The other kobolds screech in horror as they fumble to arm themselves again.
OOC:
One more PC to act before the first enemies
Apr 8, 2024 1:22 pm
Pierce will move to a location where he can see a winged kobold, and put his newly crafted device to work.

A ridiculously loud rapport signals that it works.

Rolls

Attack (Pistol) - (1d20+7)

(4) + 7 = 11

Damage (Piercing - Magic) - (1d10+5)

(5) + 5 = 10

Apr 9, 2024 1:22 pm
Pierce, you fire your pistol but the bullet digs itself into the standing stone next to the winged kobold as it and its brethren take to the sky. They all approach you in the air and two of them get close enough to drop rocks at Chitkree and Pierce. However both miss as they seem a bit disoriented by the sunlight.
OOC:
The rest gets to act before the kobolds

Rolls

Winged Kobold Vs Chitkree AC 20 - (1d20+5, 1d20+5)

1d20+5 : (15) + 5 = 20

1d20+5 : (12) + 5 = 17

Winged Kobold Vs Pierce AC 19 - (1d20+5, 1d20+5)

1d20+5 : (1) + 5 = 6

1d20+5 : (18) + 5 = 23

Apr 9, 2024 3:48 pm
The hobgoblin moves in front of one of the more squishy members of the party to protect them from the possibly incoming attacks.
"Stay low and behind me! Rocks incoming!!"
With bow in hand he looses an arrow aiming for one of the flying kobolds hoping to clip a wing...
OOC:
DC 14 Str Check on a flying Kobold to knock them prone and out of the sky!
[ +- ] Trip Attack. DC 14
Last edited April 9, 2024 3:49 pm

Rolls

Attack Long Bow @ Flying Kobold +Trip - (1d20+5)

(8) + 5 = 13

Damage Long Bow @ Flying Kobold +Trip - (1d8+3+1d8)

(5) + (5) + 3 = 13

Apr 9, 2024 8:52 pm
OOC:
Not sure about map, but I'm casting sleep trying to get as much Winged Kobolds as possible in range and it would be even better if can get also some on the normal kobols
[ +- ] 1: Sleep (Cha)
Zrukz continue to retreat while casting a spell

Rolls

Sleep HP roll - (5d8)

(43482) = 21

Apr 10, 2024 6:37 pm
OOC:
Nat 20! Hahaha dammit!
Davin hears that the Kobolds want to believe them, but the strength of fear that their master has over them is apparently very strong. It makes him a little sad, he sees the tragedies of their upbringings come to his mind. But he shook that off, knowing that now was a fight to survive and complete their mission.

He backs up with the rest of the group as far as he can and looks to the closest grounded Kobold.

"You should have just listened to me, now you'll become nothing more than worm food." He said as he began to hurl an insult about that particular kobold, casting viscous mockery on it. (WIS Saving throw DC14).

He then looks to Pierce and shouts out.

"Pierce, I see that you have one of the finest shots in all the lands! May your next one decimate your target!" He shouted, sending a Bardic Inspiration (1d6) his way.
[ +- ] Vicious Mockery (Cha)

Rolls

Psychic Damage - (1d4)

(4) = 4

Apr 15, 2024 8:18 pm
OOC:
Sorry, I know I still owe you guys a map.
Donkog, you send an arrow through the chest of one of the winged kobolds and yank it’s already dead corpse to the ground with a hard crunch.

Zrukz, you murmur your sleep spell, blow the sand in the direction of the three remaining winged kobolds and they immediately fall to the ground. They land hard and wakes up again, very injured, very confused and very angry.

Davin, your mocking spell really seems to hurt the kobold’s feelings, as well as its brain as blood starts to trickle from its eyes, like very gross looking tears.

The kobolds rush forward, although only two can make it into melee (one of which is the injured one). Both goes against Chitkree, but both miss.
OOC:
New round. Two gets to act. There are two kobolds and now three grounded winged kobolds within melee.

Rolls

Falling damage to winged kobolds - (2d6)

(23) = 5

Kobold wisdom saving throw - (1d20-2)

(11) - 2 = 9

Kobold Vs Chitkree AC20 - (1d20+4)

(7) + 4 = 11

Kobold Vs Chitkree AC20 - (1d20+4)

(9) + 4 = 13

Apr 15, 2024 9:56 pm
Pierce, feeling inspired, will take aim at the flying Kobold and try out his new toy.

Rolls

Attack (Pistol) - (1d20+7+1d6)

(12) + (5) + 7 = 24

Damage (Piercing) - (1d10+5)

(7) + 5 = 12

Apr 16, 2024 5:43 pm
Zrukz bravely retreat another 30 feet attacking an injured kobold engaged with Chitkree
[ +- ] 0: Chill Touch (Cha)

Rolls

Chill Touch to hit - (1d20+5)

(16) + 5 = 21

Chill Touch damage - (1d8)

(8) = 8

Apr 17, 2024 8:38 pm
Pierce, Davin's encouraging words magically reverberates in your head as you take aim on one of the winged kobolds. Just as it gets back to its feet, you fire the gun and the bullet goes straight through its throat, killing it dead before it hits the ground again.

Zrukz, you desperately send your spell over your shoulder as you retreat, and the already injured and very sad looking kobold dies as the chill touch hits it square in the chest, a look of embarrassment etched on its face.

The two remaining winged kobolds desperately lash out at Pierce with their daggers. You manage to swat on aside, but the other dagger punctures your upper arm.
OOC:
The rest gets to act. Two winged kobolds are in melee, the other kobolds are within closing distance.

Rolls

Winged kobold Vs Pierce AC19 - (1d20+5)

(11) + 5 = 16

Winged kobold Vs Pierce AC19 - (1d20+5)

(17) + 5 = 22

Damage to Pierce - (1d4+3)

(3) + 3 = 6

Apr 23, 2024 5:32 pm
Davin, quickly backing up from being attacked, takes out his viol and strikes a sharp tune from the strings, casting Dissonant whispers on the winged kobold that hit Pierce.
OOC:
WIS save DC14
[ +- ] Dissonant Whispers (Cha)

Rolls

Psychic Damage - (3d6)

(562) = 13

Apr 23, 2024 7:27 pm
Moving to take advantage of the chaos Chitkree sends a Thorn whip lasting at one of the flying kobold engaging his allies and pulls out to the ground.
[ +- ] Thorn Whip
Last edited April 23, 2024 7:30 pm

Rolls

ThornWhip - (1d20+5, 1d6, sneakattack:1d6)

1d20+5 : (15) + 5 = 20

1d6 : (2) = 2

sneakattack:1d6 : (6) = 6

Apr 24, 2024 7:55 pm
Chitkree & Davin, you take care of the two remaining winged kobolds. Davin by whispering a strange melodic noise that causes one of them to collapse, while Chitkree tears the other one in half with his thorn whip.

Donkog shoots an arrow at one of the onrushing kobolds, but it whizzes over its head.

The 7 remaining kobolds descend on Chitkree, Pierce & Donkog, each getting hit once by their daggers.
OOC:
New round. Two of you get to act. 7 kobolds within striking distance

Rolls

Donkog Vs Kobold - (1d20+5)

(2) + 5 = 7

3 kobolds Vs Chitkree AC20 - (1d20+4, 1d20+4, 1d20+4)

1d20+4 : (19) + 4 = 23

1d20+4 : (5) + 4 = 9

1d20+4 : (8) + 4 = 12

2 kobolds Vs Pierce AC19 - (1d20+4, 1d20+4)

1d20+4 : (9) + 4 = 13

1d20+4 : (16) + 4 = 20

2 kobolds Vs Donkog AC15 - (1d20+4, 1d20+4)

1d20+4 : (15) + 4 = 19

1d20+4 : (7) + 4 = 11

Damage to Chitkree - (1d4+2)

(3) + 2 = 5

Damage to Pierce - (1d4+2)

(4) + 2 = 6

Damage to Donkog - (1d4+2)

(1) + 2 = 3

Apr 24, 2024 9:32 pm
Chitkree will unleash a Thunderwave on the kobold
OOC:
DC 13 Con st
If I can't get at least 3 then let me know and I will just go melee weapons instead
[ +- ] Thunderwave +A@15’c=I(V,S)

Rolls

Thunder wave con DC 13 for half - (2d8)

(72) = 9

Apr 25, 2024 1:09 pm
Zrukz realizing all enemies focused on his teammates find courage to step back and use his magic to calm enemy down, casing sleep again
[ +- ] 1: Sleep (Cha)
OOC:
WIth diameter of 40 feet I believe I should be able to get most if not all kobolds in range

Rolls

Sleep HP roll - (5d8)

(52151) = 14

You do not have permission to post in this thread.