05. The Courting of Fire

load previous
Mar 7, 2024 2:52 pm
You finish your drinks before heading over to Stojanow Gate. The massive walls of Valjevo Castle tower above you. The massive iron-bound doors of Stojanow Gate are spread wide open as they have been for over one hundred years. From the top of the wall, bodies hang from thick rope; twisting slowly in the breeze while ravens peck away at the tastier morsels. Despite the time of the day, a long line of people are lined up at a desk where a bored looking guard thumbs through an enormous ledger.
Mar 7, 2024 2:53 pm
Pierce looks at the line and wordlessly gets at the end of it, seemingly quite content to simply wait their turn.
Mar 7, 2024 11:17 pm
"Pleasant place, remind me never to end up behind bars here, just kill me." Davin said as they entered.

He noticed the line and stepped in the back with Pierce but tapped the person in front of them on the shoulder.

"Are you waiting to see someone in there? Or what is the reason for the line?" He asked.
Mar 7, 2024 11:36 pm
"I think this is the line to be arrested. Guards are so good in these parts, people send themselves to jail." The Hobgob stands next to Pierce. "Should we try and get the line moving faster?"
Mar 8, 2024 12:52 am
"Probably not," comes the deep, rumbling reply."It does not seem wise to do anything that may be considered 'disruptive.' Do not give them a reason to find you guilty."
Last edited March 8, 2024 12:53 am
Mar 8, 2024 4:12 am
With a mental shrug to his companions We may not need to wait. I will check Muttering a quick spell fo Guidance Chitkree moves towards the gate to the castle to listen and look. He wants to hear what the guards with the paper is doing and see if there are other gate guards or others passing in and out.
OOC:
Rolls are to look innocent/unthreatening and/or not draw attention from the guards

Rolls

Deception + Guidance - (1d20+1+1d4)

(16) + (2) + 1 = 19

Stealth - (1d20+9)

(14) + 9 = 23

Mar 8, 2024 9:45 pm
Davin, the man in front looks a bit strangely at you, "Why it’s to report a crime of course! Someone stole my cat!"

Chitkree, the guard quickly looks up as the strange voice suddenly reverberates through his head. He does recognise you however, "What is it you want? I’m just recording the reports that all these *ahem* fine people are arriving with"
Mar 9, 2024 1:44 am
We are assisting the Lord Sage with the investigation of the wanted criminal that was posted earlier this day. We understand that one of the perpetrators was apprehended and is being kept within the keep. The Sage instructed us to question this person that we might ascertain the whereabouts of the others that assisted him in his crimes.

May we pass to see the prisoner?
Mar 11, 2024 6:45 pm
OOC:
Give me a persuasion check
Mar 11, 2024 6:49 pm
Chitkree does not smile, that never works with flesh bags, ummm . . . humans
Last edited March 11, 2024 6:50 pm

Rolls

Persuasion - (1d20+1)

(19) + 1 = 20

Mar 11, 2024 8:21 pm
The guard chuckles, "Ah yes, Tibeem was it? I’m afraid he’s not very talkative at this point", he points upwards behind you and as you follow his direction, you see that he’s pointing at one of the dead bodies hanging from the gate. "As for his friend the fugitive, we heard of someone fitting his description travelling towards the Dragonspine Mountains. But that’s way out of our jurisdiction, ergo not really my problem". He reaches into a drawer in the desk and hands you a small piece of paper, "All he had on him was this". It just reads "Sheaf of
vellum (1), chalk dust (1lb sack), leather case"
Mar 11, 2024 9:58 pm
He asks the guard Any chance we could set the items in question? It may help us in out efforts to serve the Lord Sage.

and relays all he has learned back to Pierce and the others then asks
Do we hit the road and try to catch up or keep digging around for clues?
Last edited March 11, 2024 10:31 pm
Mar 11, 2024 10:26 pm
"By the gods who would do such a thing! Tell me, what is your cat's name? And what does your cat look like? I, Davin, will make it my personal mission in life to find it and bring it back to you!! He said, greatly angered by the fact that someone would steal a cat!
Mar 12, 2024 10:52 pm
Chitkree, the guard looks dumbfounded for a second before realising the mix up, "No, dummy. He literally only had this note. Don’t know why he had it, maybe a shopping list? Now can I please get on with this?", he motions towards the line of people who are getting steadily more impatient.

Davin, the man gets more animated as you show interest in his plight, "My little Scruffles is sort of grey, and black, and also a bit white and also maybe has a little bit of reddish brown fur. I for one think it’s my neighbour who took it! He’s been eying that cat the moment I brought it home. He told me to keep it away from him and his pet mice. But I know it’s a ruse and that he just wants it for himself!"
Mar 13, 2024 7:08 pm
"Your neighbour will pay the price if it is true that they had something to do with your missing cat! No one steals a precious thing like that and gets away with it!" He told told the man, now holding his hands and staring into the soul of the man as a single tear falls down from his left eye.

"Scruffles will be found! I swear it!"
Mar 13, 2024 8:33 pm
Grumbling about miss communication Chitkree returns to the others.

Giving an odd look to Davin he queries So, who's good at tracking? It seems the quarry has fled the city
Mar 13, 2024 9:54 pm
Davin, the man puts his forehead against yours and thanks you deeply.
OOC:
Are you planning on going straight towards the mountains?
Mar 15, 2024 7:44 pm
Davin holds his head against his and whispers.

"Your neighbour will burn, either in this life, or in the Nine Hells, if it is found that they have taken your cat, I promise you this. Now where do you live?" He asks before they separate and he pats the man on his left shoulder, without looking at the others, he holds up a hand to gesture to hold one one moment.

"I'm not terrible, I did play a bounty hunter in a play once, and studied a Ranger to learn their ways, I take my roles very seriously." He replied mentally.
Mar 16, 2024 8:58 pm
OOC:
So are you going straight off to the mountains or do you try to do more investigating beforehand?
Mar 16, 2024 11:03 pm
Pierce.will set off for the wanted man, unless someone.can convince him to wait.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.