Hello World- Let's tell a story!

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Feb 29, 2024 10:55 pm
Hi guys!

I'm new here, but I'm very interested in storytelling and narrative-forward games. I started playing DnD 5e, but I did not enjoy the experience. I really thought I was interested in a tactical, super crunchy system, but couldn't ever seem to get into the plot or the groove of the game. I eventually had a really un-fun experience in a friend's game that turned me off from 5e, so I started to look around. I learned very quickly that most games (pathfinder, call of cthulu, etc.) were basically DnD clones with different settings, and that any mechanics they had that were unique didn't solve any of the problems that I had experienced. I stumbled upon PbtA games on accident with the release of Avatar Legends at GenCon last year (2023) and fell in love with the focus on switching narrative control and failing forward. Since discovering the game, I have run 7 sessions as a GM (one short campaign, a one-shot, and the beginning of a longer campaign that is still ongoing). I am interested in play-by-post games as a way to learn more about GMing through practicing playing/GMing with other players outside of my group, and so that I can be involved with more stories. I am excited to dive in!
Feb 29, 2024 11:12 pm
Welcome, GameMaster!

If you want to see how GP functions, here are links to the New GP Member Guide, the forum rules, this video introduction made by user Qralloq and a little helpful formatting guide made by user Adam. You might also be interested in looking through some public games as well to get a feel for the site.
If you have any questions about how to use the site, you can put them into our Questions and Help subforum.

To join a game, keep your eyes on the Games Tavern, where GMs advertise their games and look for players.

You're also invited to join us on the Discord server for some friendly conversation, about the site, RPGs in general or anything else!

If you have any concerns or questions, feel free to contact any of the following moderators:

bowlofspinach
CancerMan
Dramasailor
Naatkinson
Qralloq
Keleth (site owner)

Happy gaming!

Len

Feb 29, 2024 11:42 pm
Welcome to our community, GameMaster!
Mar 1, 2024 12:04 am
Welcome to GP, GameMaster!
Mar 1, 2024 12:09 am
Thank you everyone, I'm excited to be here! I just posted a call for players for my first game, so I'm diving in head-first!
Mar 1, 2024 1:30 am
Love to hear that enthusiasm @GameMaster. PBTA games can be so very rich with baked in flavor. I loved running Kult: Divinity Lost.

Oh yeah, and welcome!
Mar 1, 2024 2:55 am
Welcome Aboard!

I highly recommend joining the GP DISCORD channel. We have a lot of lively discussions over there you might be interested in.
Mar 1, 2024 3:07 am
I think I'll try out the discord, thank you!
Mar 1, 2024 3:58 am
Welcome to the community, GM!
Mar 1, 2024 5:46 am
Hey GM :) Welcome to GP!
Mar 1, 2024 8:41 am
Welcome! There are a lot of game systems that aren't D&D based engines, PbtA being one. Hope you get a chance to experience a bunch of others too!
Mar 1, 2024 3:38 pm
Greetings and Salutations. My favorite non-D&D game is Fate. It is most certainly more narrative driven. I think you should check it out sometime.
Mar 1, 2024 3:53 pm
I'm familiar with Fate- it's the crunchiest narrative system I know. It's unique to have so much mechanic supporting narrative progression.
Mar 1, 2024 4:02 pm
I find it flows really well, and the mechanics actually don't come into play that often. I'm running a public game of Dresden Files Accelerated (which uses Fate Accelerated) here. Love for you to take a look at it.
Mar 1, 2024 5:06 pm
Welcome aboard, GamneMaster.
Mar 1, 2024 5:33 pm
I'll read through your Fate game tonight! Hopefully it will help me get a feel for the PbP style. Thank you!
Mar 1, 2024 8:56 pm
Welcome to gamersplane.com!
[ +- ] Tiny Invitation
Any system with any mechanics can be crunch depending on the GM. I've only done Fate a couple of times but it was heavily narrative driven with the players using more crunch than the GM except in combat.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.