Lightning in a Bottle (RP)

load previous
May 2, 2024 2:58 am
"Could the cup she have resemble the ritual tools I was using?"

Gronk takes out his ritual gear to see if the old lady reacts.

While he's at it, he also looks through his notes to see if he wrote down anything that might fit the lady's sherade.
OOC:
Could I make some kind of folklore or arcana check to see if I remember anything about this creature?
May 2, 2024 8:51 am
The figure looks briefly-optimistic at Ezme's line of thinking, then sighs in frustrated disappointment.

When Gronk starts taking out his ritual tools it looks eager, then confused. Studying Gronk's tools it seems to come to a realisation and looks disappointed in itself. It thinks for a minute. When next you see, the grail has become a bucket and the figure appears to be pouring its contents out where it stands.

What do you do?
May 2, 2024 8:58 am
"Hang on." Albert interjects. "She may require blood, but does it need to be human blood?" Perhaps there is a way to solve this without people getting hurt. "We could bring an animal. Maybe some arrangement to offer a goat every full moon or something."
May 2, 2024 9:08 am
The figure looks eagerly at Albert as he speaks, then, once again, it looks frustrated at how dense people can be (it does not know you are not from around here:).

It might take a moment for you all to realise the image has changed, it is still pouring a bucket at its feet, but there is another bucket on the ground nearby... and another, fainter, a little ways off. For the briefest moment there is also another figure —a man this time— pouring a bucket, but then the first figure shakes its head, as though worried this will confuse you more and the second figure fades away.

What do you do?
May 2, 2024 12:09 pm
Ezmaray stares at the long line of buckets, her lips turning down with distaste. "She needs blood every night." A memory striking her, she turns her head abruptly toward the two men. "MUST GIVE BLOOD. That is what--!" She almost says something about Wankle, but stops herself, wishing to avoid bringing trouble upon the mistling.

"People must give her blood, and it must be frequent and voluntary," she rephrases firmly. She turns back to the crone for confirmation.
May 2, 2024 12:11 pm
- Ezme -

The crone-figure makes a gesture the seems to say 'well, duh!'.

What do you do?
May 2, 2024 12:17 pm
Ezmaray's eyes widen and her back straightens as another realization occurs to her. "That's why mistlings inflict wounds that itch! We have to wound ourselves!"
May 2, 2024 12:21 pm
- Ezme -

The crone looks disappointed, but you get the impression it is not directed at the party, but rather at the whole situation. Either the imagery is becoming more nuanced or you are starting to understand better.

What do you do?
May 2, 2024 12:44 pm
"It was not always this way...." Ezmaray murmurs. She turns to Gronk and Albert. "Townspeople did something to cut her off from original source of sustenance, whatever that was. I am not from here. Do either of you have any clue what that could have been? Was river dammed? Temple destroyed? Magical well closed up somehow?? ...??" The trapper shrugs and throws her hand up.
Last edited May 2, 2024 1:02 pm
May 2, 2024 12:48 pm
- Gronk -

The crone-figure looks on with baited breath. Ezme's suggestion should be enough for you try puzzle this out given what you know of the town.

What do you do?
OOC:
Puzzling this out could either be done in character dialogue; or could be a roll, probably +INT or +WIS depending on how you describe it.
May 2, 2024 1:44 pm
OOC:
I don't remember much about the town that seems useful right now, so I'll try for the roll.
Gronk seems genuinely puzzled but eager to solve the mystery.

"Ezme, I think you're on to something. But what was it that the town did to isolate this creature from its food?"

Gronk sits, deep in thought.

Rolls

wisdom roll - (2d6+1)

(23) + 1 = 6

May 2, 2024 2:16 pm
- Gronk -

Clearly you have been too separated from the community to remember this in time, but —and too late— you recall that, a few months before the incidents started, there was a town-wide campaign to 'clean up the local river'. It did not affect you much, but a key point centered around stopping the various industries from dumping their waste into the river, and this included the butchers.

Apparently other uses were found for the various effluvia of the animal slaughtering industry, so it might prove hard to convince the populace to abandon these new practices and return to feeding the river with its waste, as has been done since time immemorial.
May 2, 2024 2:18 pm
Before Gronk can relay his revelation to the others, the figure grows impatient at the length of the wait, with a silent scream of frustration it flickers out and vanishes. The calls from the mist start again immediately and you all feel a glowering and hungry tension in the air.

It is no longer safe for you to be out in the mist.

What do you all do?
May 2, 2024 2:18 pm
- Ezme -

You had almost forgotten about the itch, it had not been pressing on your mind during your conversation, but as the crone-figure vanishes it returns with a vengeance. You can not resist scratching, even in front of these men.

What do you do?
May 2, 2024 2:19 pm
- Roald -

You finally hear an answer to your call. Off to your right and behind you —the opposite way from where rope leads— you hear Albert and Gronk and Ezme calling desperately for your help.

If the away-party start moving towards you, you will also feel the rope drop slack.

What do you do?
May 2, 2024 3:02 pm
As the visage of the old woman vanishes and Ezmaray's itching swells unbearably, the trapper hunches and hisses loudly, her eyes wincing as her fingers dig into her own flesh where the hidden lacerations lie.
OOC:
It sounds like she itches at least once. Rolling to see if I get a 5 or lower, in which case, she'll itch twice.

Rolls

Itching twice or only once? - (2d6+1)

(14) + 1 = 6

May 2, 2024 3:07 pm
OOC:
Oh wait. Remembered that wrong. It's 6 or under. Poor Ezme!

Rolls

Die of Fate (minus # of itches) - (1d6-6)

(3) - 6 = -3

May 2, 2024 3:36 pm
Though Ezme's hunched position affords her a little privacy as she scratches, the others can easily guess at what is happening as blood starts pooling at her feet. When the trapper eventually straightens, blood gushes in rivulets down her front as her tunic steadily turns crimson.

She meets the others' eyes, her expression frenzied with the realization that she is losing all control. "Frack."
May 2, 2024 4:26 pm
Roald suppresses the urge to run into the direction of the voices, that has gone wrong before. He starts pulling hard, hauling in the rope to get it tight again.
May 2, 2024 4:48 pm
Gronk, realizing the danger they are in now, will yank on the rope in the pre-defined signal for help.

"I think we should head back now, guys."
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.