Hello World

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Mar 21, 2024 6:11 am
I have never done PBP gaming before (didn't even know it existed apart from playing chess by mail back in the days before the internet and even then, it was just seeing it referenced once or twice in an old TV show or movie!)

As far as TTRPGs go, I was invited to play AD&D 2nd edition in middle school but declined because it looked complicated and also looked like it was a major time commitment and I wanted to be able to bounce between spending time with different friends at lunch rather than committed to the same group in the library every day.

My next run in with TTRPGs was 2 years ago when I decided to find a group and finally play D&D. (I had bought the starter sets for D&D 3.5E, 4E, and 5E but never understood it well enough to be the DM or a player for that matter, and didn't have any friends that were interested or committed enough to try playing it.) Thus, I found a local game store and learned they had a D&D group that was about done with a campaign so sat in and watched a couple games until it ended. I then joined the next one because some of their players were joining different games at that time and therefore, the GM had openings.

That game was supposed to be every week but due to schedules and health issues, got cancelled frequently and turned out to be more like once a month. I spent close to a year playing that game, had my first character die fairly early on and created a new character who lasted longer through the rest of the year. Then that character died and I created a third character but his introduction got delayed due to cancellations and when we did meet, I informed the group that I was going to be moving out of state and could no longer continue so didn't introduce my character. It didn't matter a whole lot though as that session turned into a huge defeat for the party and the DM decided to transition the campaign into something else due to the lack of structure of the original campaign setting and I think the group may not have lasted more than a month or two after that.

Anyway, over the past year I have been wanting to join a D&D group but the local (next town over about 30 minutes drive away) hosts games but not any D&D or Pathfinder games. An hour away is a town that does have a D&D group that I went to once but it was one game with 50+ players and only one DM and in 4 hours we only had 3 rounds of combat and for most of the characters it was too crowded to really move or do anything so decided that was too many people for my taste and didn't go back. Thus I have been left craving to continue my experience with D&D (5E is what I know) or to try Pathfinder or other D&D versions but would kind of prefer to stick with 5E for the moment since that is what I am familiar with and I felt I was still learning as it was a year ago).

About three days ago I ran across a YouTube video talking about PBP gaming and watched a couple more videos on it, one of which directed me to this website. Thus, I am here hoping I can get my TTRPG fix from PBP format and learn how to do this, and hopefully find a game that fits well.

I wasn't a min/max player who focuses only on the numbers and what attracts me to this and stories/games/shows like this is the adventure, the story, the quest so it sounded to me like this would be a good format for the emphasis on the story aspect.

Anyway, I am a newbie, so if there are any who want to take me under their wing, I'd be interested in learning and playing. I'm 45, male and very open minded and am not offended by much of anything and there are no taboos from my standpoint of what can or cannot be covered in game, but that said, I know most people are not as open as I am so will respect any limits that the GM or players put on the game.
Mar 21, 2024 6:43 am
Welcome, tigereye!

If you want to see how GP functions, here are links to the New GP Member Guide, the forum rules, this video introduction made by user Qralloq and a little helpful formatting guide made by user Adam. You might also be interested in looking through some public games as well to get a feel for the site.
If you have any questions about how to use the site, you can put them into our Questions and Help subforum.

To join a game, keep your eyes on the Games Tavern, where GMs advertise their games and look for players.

You're also invited to join us on the Discord server for some friendly conversation, about the site, RPGs in general or anything else!

If you have any concerns or questions, feel free to contact any of the following moderators:

bowlofspinach
CancerMan
Naatkinson
Qralloq
Keleth (site owner)

Happy gaming!
Mar 21, 2024 6:59 am
Welcome to the GP community, tigereye468! Good luck finding some 5e (and older / other D&D) here -- quite a bit of it gets played! One other thought as you try to get some RPGing into your life -- playing online (over Zoom, Discord, etc.) works really well too if you can't find consistent / good games locally...
Mar 21, 2024 8:54 am
Welcome Aboard!

5E, as Harrigan said, sees a lot of activity on GamersPlane so finding a game shouldn't be too hard or require too much patience.
One caveat about PbP is that it can be a bit slow compared to face to face games but it does give you ample time to come up with well thought out and researched responses. No twiddling thumbs while someone looks up a rule or tries to come up with a plan or response...there's time enough for that without the rush.
I'd recommend joining the DISCORD channel for GamersPlane. We don't play over there but do have lively discussions about gaming, pop culture, etc. and the response time is usually pretty fast.
Mar 21, 2024 1:14 pm
Welcome to gamersplane.com!
[ +- ] Tiny Invitation
Mar 21, 2024 1:28 pm
Welcome to GP!
Mar 21, 2024 2:25 pm
Welcome to the fold!
Mar 21, 2024 3:29 pm
Welcome!
Mar 21, 2024 4:06 pm
Hey tigereye468! Welcome to GP!
Mar 21, 2024 4:07 pm
Welcome!
Mar 21, 2024 4:12 pm
Welcome to the fold!
Mar 21, 2024 5:18 pm
Welcome tigereye468. Glad that you're sticking with it, it's a great hobby and D&D 5th edition is a solid game.
Mar 22, 2024 1:48 pm
Welcome! And thank you for that self-introduction. That 50 player game sounds wild; it can be really difficult to find a game and a group to play. PbP is one of better solutions to overcome that.
Mar 22, 2024 2:26 pm
Welcome :)

You do not have permission to post in this thread.