Chapter 5.2A: To sit under a tree

load previous
Mar 23, 2024 3:58 am
The CV will not do a loan, but will gladly move any freight that Mr Chen wishes to pay transport for.
OOC:
Do keep in mind that I would expect a loan to require us to return to Verdura, and I do not believe we have planned to do that.
Mar 23, 2024 4:01 am
OOC:
The loan is from Chen.
Also there are confirmed ITC/interplanetary banks and such, so that would mean I would have /some/ way to pay to Chen's assets.
(I know of deals that work like this IRL, on a smaller scale than interplanetary, obviously.)
Last edited March 23, 2024 4:03 am
Mar 23, 2024 5:10 am
Mercer nods to the StellarGrove trader they are working with.
I apologize, but if you would excuse me a moment I would like to contact an astute businessman who, I believe, would love to buy some of your Starfire Citrus. Assuming he gets an ok, Mercer will step out or head to whatever room is appropriate to make a holocall t o Xiao Chen.
From the holovid display comes the image of a young, suspicious looking man. A new assistant? I can't remember meeting this one. Please get Mr. Xiao Chen. Tell him it's Mercer Furio. I helped with both the Naprodium and the Cinderberry wine shipments. Tell him I would like to help him make some good money.
Last edited March 23, 2024 5:10 am
Mar 23, 2024 9:20 am
After a brief wait, the hologram shifted, revealing the imposing figure of Xiao Chen, the notorious mafia boss known for his shrewd business acumen and ruthless tactics.

"Mercer Furio," Chen's voice rumbled through the holocomm, his eyes narrowing as he studied Mercer. "What brings you to call upon me today?"

Mercer straightened his posture, meeting Chen's gaze with unwavering confidence. "I have a lucrative opportunity that I believe would interest you," he began, choosing his words carefully. "I've established a connection with a StellarGrove trader who possesses a shipment of Starfire Citrus, a rare and highly sought-after commodity. With your network and resources, I believe we can turn this into a profitable venture for both of us."

Chen listened intently while Mercer told him the details of his proposal. The mafia boss kept his expression inscrutable as he weighed Mercer's proposition.

Mercer knew he had to tread carefully. Chen was not one to be trifled with, and any negotiation with him required finesse and strategic maneuvering.

"I need guarantees before a loan," Chen replied evenly. "Are you willing to offer collateral worth more than the value of the loan or a favor of my choosing right now? Breaking legs in another planet... I mean, collecting debts in another planet... That is very expensive and I don't wanna do that unnecessarily."
OOC:
What do you do?
Mar 23, 2024 2:40 pm
OOC:
Do NOT let Hank know you want to make a deal with a mob boss. He doesn't want to involve the CV in something like a loan to a mob boss. Oddly, the issue isn't moral; he'll turn his head when he needs to, though he does follow the rules by default. It's simply calculated danger. If, by some horrid roll of the dice, we can't make money on the citrus on Zyronis, we can wait for the next world. If you have a loan to a mob boss, you have to make that money on Zyronis no matter what. Hank does not want a mob boss chasing the CV because he rolled snake eyes on the wrong roll.
Mar 23, 2024 3:31 pm
"As you know, I am still an up-and-coming trader, with little assets to my name. I have a blaster and rifle, and some armor that I don't think you want to take it I am invested in protecting your assets.
I will be getting paid 300 credits when I finish my current delivery job to Zyronis, just so you know there is some risk mitigation.
However, we both know that to grow a business sometimes requires some amount of risk. Even though, the value I am working with is less than what you would be, the risk is relatively greater for me. The profit can be greater for you though.
Plus I would be working as security for your shipment for free, a job I am being paid a half thousand for, plus assets. As well, you know that the sellers fee I am offering is already lower than what you normally pay, so your profit would be even greater."
Mar 23, 2024 3:33 pm
OOC:
I don't know if I should roll. .

Rolls

Mercer Canaan Furio: Talk - Usual roll - (3D6h2+3)

(125) + 3 = 10

Mar 23, 2024 3:39 pm
"No collateral and no favors, no loan. Your word is not enough in my line of business. Remember that you contacted me, not the other way around. Now you are wasting my time, Mr. Mercer..." - said Chen, with a threatening gesture.
OOC:
Talking won't be enough... If you don't wanna do him a job and as you don't have enough assets and will leave the planet soon, roll Talk DC8 to make him "forget" everything. Otherwise, you will either have to do a job for him or give him 0.2 of your citrus as a "gift"

PS: We can consider that roll as your success to "forget " if you want
Mar 23, 2024 3:52 pm
"I would hope that bringing you the opportunity to make such profits, with reduced overhead as I am helping minimize sellers fees and protection costs would count for something. But if it is not I would be happy to offer a favor to you, but I'm not sure the value. We will only be on planet for a couple days before my contract takes me to Zyronis.
If you have something in mind that I can help you with within that time, I would be happy to help you though "
Mar 23, 2024 4:08 pm
After a tense pause, Chen's gravelly voice echoed through the holocomm. "Now we are talking. I have a small favor to ask of you."

Mercer tensed, his mind racing with possibilities. He knew that any favor requested by Chen would likely come with significant consequences. Nevertheless, he maintained his composure and nodded in acknowledgment.

Chen leaned forward, his expression unreadable. "There's a man I need you to take with you to Zyronis," he explained, his tone measured. "He's in a bit of trouble with the authorities here on Verdura, and he needs to lay low for a while. Unfortunately, he doesn't have the necessary permits to leave the planet."

Mercer's mind raced as he processed Chen's request. Taking an undocumented passenger off-world was a very risky endeavor, one that could potentially draw unwanted attention from law enforcement.
OOC:
What do you do?
Mar 23, 2024 4:43 pm
OOC:
Well, f---.

You'll also need to either keep this person hidden from the VC crew, or lie really well as to why we need a passenger to Zyronis. Just sayin' ...

Now I'm just waiting for the other shoe to drop on who this person is ... If it is the exact, correct person, you might be able to get everyone to help.
Mar 23, 2024 4:52 pm
Mercer paused, obviously doing social calculations in his head. "May I know this person's name?" He said, in a thinly veiled attempt to.fill the space as he tried to make a plan.
Mar 23, 2024 5:06 pm
"Marr. John Marr. Maybe you've met his brother Sylas. Sylas is an important person in Draco, one of the leaders of the Ironsides"
OOC:
Nope. Not that brother. It's another one.

Note that the more you ask or talk about, the more you get involved in it. He's not the type of person to let it go.
Mar 23, 2024 5:32 pm
"The Ironsides certainly quite the ... Influential group. I, of course, would be happy to help... Your friend.... Find passage to Zyronis. However I am not in control of the ship I am currently traveling with," (Mercer and I assume Xiao can find this info easily enough, and is not realky hiding it) and they seem to be reticent to tempt disapproval by the authorities. I could come up with some reasoning for them to be more willing.
Also, If you asked me to transport a shipping crate or container for you, and I forgot to ask very specifically what was inside... Maybe if all I knew was that it had 'non-hazardoud biological material and various gasses'. Well...
OOC:
Edit: This idea isn't the only option for Mercer, but it is an offer to expedite the process for Xiao Chen
Last edited March 23, 2024 5:35 pm
Mar 23, 2024 8:12 pm
OOC:
For the record, don't forget Mercer is getting an odd number of crates and such, anyway. One crate more or less isn't going to be easy for anyone to track, especially the CV crew, since we have no reason to think anything. If he sets it up carefully enough, he should be able to slip it by the authorities, too. Unless things go bad, no one will be the wiser. If things do go bad, well, they go very bad.
Mar 23, 2024 9:08 pm
"Indeed, I think that you can do me that favor. Just facilitate and provide security for 3 tons of freight with 198 lbs of fragile non-hazardous biological material within and I can loan you up to 1,000 credits if you pay me a small interest rate of 220% per day." - answered Mr. Chen.
OOC:
Sorry, terrible roll, I know... Anyway, what do you do?

Rolls

Credits available (thousands) - (1d10)

(1) = 1

Interest rates (times 20%, per day) - (2d6)

(56) = 11

Mar 23, 2024 9:21 pm
Mr. Chen, I am surprised, after trying to help you multiple times today, and doing this favor for you, you attack me with this interest rate? I thought you didn't want to waste time, and yet you put me in this position?
OOC:
I am going to make this one attempt to reduce the interest.

Rolls

Mercer Canaan Furio: Talk - Usual roll - (3D6h2+3)

(666) + 3 = 15

Mar 23, 2024 9:40 pm
OOC:
Excellent roll
"Those are my standard rates. Okay, how about I pay for the favor. Standard freight rates for the ship and 1,000 credits for your security and facilitation?"
Mar 23, 2024 9:44 pm
Mercer flashed a big smile. How wonderfully reasonable. It is a pleasure doing business with you.
Once the product is sold I will immediately transfer you your earnings. I assume the offplanet-transfer information is still the same?
Mar 23, 2024 9:52 pm
"Yes, it is. Let's keep in touch, and I will put you in contact with Ian. He is from Zyronis, has a cargo lighter and a container to lend and can facilitate stuff in the Celestial Gate. You will probably have to Sneak inside with a small tampering device or Talk your way through customs. This is his contact. "
OOC:
What do you do?
load next

Thread locked