Chapter 5.2A: To sit under a tree

load previous
Mar 25, 2024 12:55 am
Quote:
without Peter noticing it
Peter has his mind occupied elsewhere, besides focusing on doing the perimeter sweep (he wouldn’t really suspect one of our own crew), he has been given a brief explanation about the search for the brother from Emily and Hank.

"I would be more than willing to come back and help with the searches after the last load, I know first hand how deep a brother/sister connection goes, and I really want to help anyway I can."

If it was someone he knew better Morgan would offer a hug, but he settles in just giving a firm handshake. After mentioning her own sister Peter mind is taken elsewhere and he isn’t really able to notice anything
Mar 25, 2024 9:54 am
As he made his way back to the customs building, Mercer pocketed the scrambler and steeled himself for the task ahead, his steps cautious and deliberate. With a quick glance around to ensure no one was watching, he entered the restricted area where the cargo was inspected.

As Inspector Lin Xia approached, Mercer activated the remote scrambler, his fingers trembling slightly with anticipation. The device emitted a faint signal, interfering with the bio scanners used by Verdura's authorities.

Lin Xia eyed the box with a practiced gaze, her scrutiny thorough but seemingly unaffected by any suspicions. Mercer held his breath, his heart racing as he watched her inspect the cargo.
OOC:
Rolling...
To his relief, Lin Xia's inspection yielded no indication that there was anyone concealed inside the box. With a nod of approval, she motioned for a colleague and the crates were released.

As Mercer made his way back to the Solaris passenger area, a sense of excitement coursed through him. With the successful evasion of the authorities and the clandestine loading of the concealed cargo, he allowed himself to indulge in dreams of the future. He imagined the thousands of credits that would soon fill his coffers, the rewards of his daring venture.
OOC:
I will post Emily's search results later today. Congrats on your extra ton of Citrus, Mercer. I didn't think you would make it when we started this =)

Rolls

Lin Xia inspection (Notice, -2 scrambler,.+2 skill) - (2d6)

(21) = 3

Mar 25, 2024 4:19 pm
OOC:
I wasn't sure either, Mercer thought he could do it, but I wasn't sure.
Mar 25, 2024 9:25 pm
OOC:
I have to admit I thought you were insane to not take @htech's offer to use a prior successful roll to get out. Glad it worked out!

Thank goodness Lin Xia was tired at the end of a long day, too!

Dr. Emily Hart

htech

Mar 25, 2024 11:23 pm
In the hotel lobby, Dr. Emily Hart sat at the computer terminal, her eyebrows furrowed as she delved deeper into her investigation. The ambient hum of conversations and footsteps around her faded into the background as she focused intently on her task, her determination unwavering. She also clutched her dataslab tightly, the screen displaying a list of upcoming presentations and seminars at the Meixian Medical Conference Center.

Finally arriving after the last load was sent to the Celestial Voyager, Hank hurried over to her, concern and a little bit of guilty etched on his face.

Quote:
After tracking her down, he asks, "How is the search going?"
Emily smiled, her eyes fixed on the screen before her.

"I've made a breakthrough. My brother, Robert, is working at the Verdura Medical Research Institute. He is stationed at the VMRI Outpost Omega-7. I have their address here. That's quite a remote outpost, so I wonder what is he doing there."

She paused.

"I also discovered that he is working under Dr.Mei Lin, the head of Virology. This department carries out research on many communicable diseases in man and animals, with emphasis on viral transmitted infections."

Emily continued, determination flashing in her eyes. "Mei Lin will be at the Meixian Medical Conference Center tomorrow, she has a presentation scheduled. I think we can meet her there and demand answers."
OOC:
What do you do?
Dr. Emily Hart
Mar 25, 2024 11:46 pm
Hank's brows furrow for a moment. That does not sound particularly good.

"It will probably start out better if we ask for answers first.

"The others and the shuttle have left. Mariella mentioned something about maybe not getting to come back if we leave, so it will probably work out best if we stay the night here. Hopefully accommodations are not too expensive. We might want to do a little necessities shopping, too.

"Do you think we can get into the conference?"
Last edited March 26, 2024 2:54 pm
Mar 25, 2024 11:57 pm
daryen sent a note to htech

Dr. Emily Hart

htech

Mar 26, 2024 12:08 am
"I am pretty sure he listed me in his employee's emergency contact form. And he is working for them, disappeared and nobody called me?!? But okay, let's start asking. Maybe I spent too much time with Erin before the hyperspace jump."
Quote:
"Do you think we can get into the conference?"
"I think we can. I already have my tickets, I will get you one. But if someone else is joining us tomorrow, I won't be able to get more tickets, though. They will have to wait outside, I guess."
OOC:
Is someone else joining? Are you going back with the Solaris?

Emily hasn't found her brother yet but haven't explicitly asked for Peter or Mercer's help, so I don't know how to interpret your previous messages. What do you do?
Dr. Emily Hart
Mar 26, 2024 12:19 am
htech sent a note to daryen
Mar 26, 2024 12:33 am
OOC:
Peter has offered to help as per the last message, but if she seems like she doesn’t want the help when he mentioned it to her, he will get the hint and just stay até the ship.

In my previous message he was talking directly to her and offering so I guess you could role play what she responds
Mar 26, 2024 1:00 am
If Mercer hears about the conference the next day he will be willing to stay at a coffee shop or whatever nearby if they want someone nearby. He will now do everything he can to help speed things along help Dr. Emily Hard find her brother.
OOC:
I joke a bit, but Mercer is doubly motivated to get things moving for real. He does honestly want to help, but also to do it all in the next day.
If there are tickets for sale for a reasonable price Mercer will go along if it seems like he is welcome.
OOC:
A talk skill might be nice.
Last edited March 26, 2024 1:05 am
Mar 26, 2024 3:11 pm
OOC:
A quick question:
- Mariella mentioned that it could prove difficult to get back on-planet after we leave with the cargo. Is that actually the case? If it is, then Hank will stay behind and rent a room so he doesn't have to leave yet.
- If there is no problem returning, Hank will try his hardest to convince her to come back with them to the ship so they can start fresh the next day. But I need to know the answer to the "can we return?" question first.
- Along with this, Hank is more than willing to invite Morgan and Mercer along as long as there is no issue with returning.
After regaining his thoughts, Hank says, "What are you going to do if Mei Lin doesn't know or won't say? Considering where he was working, if something is wrong, they are going to make it very, very hard to find out."

Hank pausing for a bit, he continues, "I apologize if I am being too pushy. You only contracted for us to bring you here, so we can be done if you'd prefer. However," Hank adds in a smile, "you have not formally quit yet, so as long as you want the help, I am willing to provide it. In fact, Peter and Mercer seem to be interested in helping, too, if you want. But it is best if it is help you want, not help you are forced to take."
OOC:
Basically, Hank is wanting to respect boundaries. If she now wants to pursue this on her own, then that is her decision. However, he does want to help. Hopefully, she will want to continue on as the ship's doctor once the mystery is solved. Plus, we only have two days to solve it.
Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm
OOC:
I actually don't know, neither does Hank. I will roll now. Because there is a risk (this planet is a mess) I will assume Hank stayed.
Before leaving, Peter asked Emily if she wanted help. She gladly accepted, so he promised to come back in the next day. Mercer also offered help, talking to her from orbit.
So, in the next day, Peter and Mercer found themselves again awaiting inspection in the customs building. At the head of the line stood Inspector Lin Xia, her demeanor stern as usual.

"Welcome to the Celestial Gate," Lin Xia greeted them, as she always does, "Are you here for business or pleasure"?
OOC:
What do you do?

Mercer, roll your Talk as well, please, together with your answer

Rolls

Is there any trouble to return? - (1d10)

How difficult - (2d6)

Dr. Emily Hart

htech

Mar 26, 2024 11:07 pm
Quote:
After regaining his thoughts, Hank says, "What are you going to do if Mei Lin doesn't know or won't say? Considering where he was working, if something is wrong, they are going to make it very, very hard to find out."
"I don't know. I want answers, I deserve that..."
Quote:
Hank pausing for a bit, he continues, "I apologize if I am being too pushy. You only contracted for us to bring you here, so we can be done if you'd prefer. However," Hank adds in a smile, "you have not formally quit yet, so as long as you want the help, I am willing to provide it. In fact, Peter and Mercer seem to be interested in helping, too, if you want. But it is best if it is help you want, not help you are forced to take."
"Thank you." - she says, with a smile - "I will gladly accept it."

Dr. Emily Hart
Mar 27, 2024 12:08 am
Absolutely Hank stays if there is risk to return.

Once he is in his room, he also calls in to the Captain to let her know where he is and what he is doing.

Mar 27, 2024 12:12 am
Mercer smiles at her as she asks, but then looks thoughtfulI don't know if I'd call it pleasure, but we are here to help a friend in a personal matter.
Last edited March 27, 2024 12:14 am

Rolls

Mercer Canaan Furio: Talk - Usual roll - (3D6h2+3)

(443) + 3 = 11

Mar 27, 2024 12:34 am
Focusing on the future is very tiring, so after expending too much effort, too quickly, Hank goes to sleep until the next day.
Mar 27, 2024 12:41 am
Lin Xia's brow furrowed slightly in recognition as she studied Mercer and Peter more closely. It didn't take long for her to remember their previous encounter, the details of which were likely etched into her memory.

"Ah, I remember you two," Lin Xia remarked, her tone softening slightly. "You were here just yesterday, weren't you?"

Mercer nodded in confirmation, his expression earnest. He explained that today's visit was unrelated to their previous business and that they were back to help a friend with personal matters.

Lin Xia's gaze lingered on them for a moment longer, her scrutiny unyielding yet not unfriendly. She checked their documentation. "Very well," she said finally, satisfied with their responses. "You may proceed."
OOC:
Continues...
Mar 27, 2024 12:53 am
Emily and Hank made their way through the bustling streets of Meixian towards the conference center, their steps quickened by a sense of anticipation and resolve.

As they entered the building, Emily couldn't help but feel a surge of apprehension. The hallways were abuzz with activity, filled with researchers and medical professionals from around the world. Hank remained by her side, offering a reassuring presence amidst the sea of unfamiliar faces.

Meanwhile, Peter and Mercer sat in a nearby coffee shop, their eyes scanning the crowd for any sign of trouble. They were unable to get tickets, so they had decided to keep a close eye and wait from a distance, ready to intervene if the situation called for it.

In the conference center, Emily and Hank navigated through the maze of corridors until they reached the main auditorium, where Mei Lin was scheduled to deliver her keynote address. Emily took a deep breath, steeling herself for whatever lies ahead.

As Mei Lin took the stage, Emily's gaze remained fixed on her, her eyes burning with intensity. She watched as Mei Lin spoke with confidence and authority, her words captivating the audience. As the presentation concluded, Emily approached Mei Lin, her heart pounding in her chest. Hank stood beside her, his presence lending her strength.

"Good morning, Doctor Lin," Emily began, her voice steady despite the turmoil raging within her. "My name is Emily Hart and I need to speak with you about my brother, Robert. He was working under you at the Verdura Medical Research Institute, and he's gone missing. Do you have any information about him?"

Mei Lin's expression remained unreadable as she regarded Emily with a cool detachment. "I'm sorry to hear about your brother, Emily. But I'm afraid I can't help you. My work keeps me quite busy, and I'm not privy to the details of every employee's whereabouts."

"But he reported directly to you!" - Emily replied.

Mei hesitated for a moment before responding, her tone measured. "There were rumors of strange occurrences, but nothing concrete. Our priority at the Institute is always the safety and well-being of our staff. If your brother encountered any trouble, I assure you, it was not at the behest of the Institute or during his working hours. We don't know where he is."

Hank had a strong déjà vu at that last comment from Dr. Lin.
OOC:
What do you do?
Mar 27, 2024 3:03 pm
Knowing the situation can only deteriorate, Hank whisper to Emily, "You have gotten all you're going to get out of her. We need to pull back and regroup. You won't find your brother if you are in jail!" He attempts to make sure his lips are blocked from Dr. Lin's view. He is simultaneously trying to guide her away from the confrontation.
OOC:
Follow-up note: he will be much more forceful if she stays for a second outburst. If she makes a scene, she will just get arrested, which will not help the cause.
load next

Thread locked