Westward Expansion

Mar 26, 2024 1:58 am
Heading west you move through a grass field just outside the expedition camp walls. After a short walk down the well worn road you reach the beginning of the mashes and soon the swamp itself. Ahead you see a guard tower. A couple of guards lounge at the base with another couple up in the lookout.

The guards warn you that though there is a road and it is much safer than before the swamp is still a dangerous place. They point out the waters and thick vegetation hide a variety of local wildlife. These threats range from large alligators, swarms of fish that will strip you to the bones in seconds, poisonous snakes, and the ever-present flies.

The two guards wave you on through as you continue west. The road continues on the far side of the second tower, which is taller and of sturdier construction with four guards, however the road dwindles to a simple track just wide enough for a single horse cart. As you travel you see a variety of plant and animal life. Snakes, insects, frogs, lizards, water rats, squirrels, and an occasional larger beast you have learned are referred to as "Dinosaurs". These large beasts are often hunted for meat by many of the intelligent species that moved into the area causing most of them to have learned to not wander too close to the road. Turning north then west you continue on following the path till the far end of the swamp is in sight.

Beyond the swamp are high grasses with clumps of trees and a few hills. The lush grass must be a common grazing area as your spot a few dinosaur herds. The main trail heads west but you soon find a side trail heading SW through some trees.
Mar 26, 2024 2:19 am
Date&Time(Alpha): 19@9:15
Looking over the map you secured from the clerk you ascertain you are at the western edge of the swamp just west of the Manor Ruins (4)
on the dotted trail just above the camera icon
[ +- ] Image of Area map
Looking out over the west you see knee to waist high grass with clumps of bushes and trees spotting the area. Low rolling hills add to the difficulty of seeing very far. The hills seem to be somewhat dryer and tend to be more overgrown. Throughout it all the number and variety of the dinosaurs increases. So far the herds have been small, ranging from 6 to 12. However you can see dozens in some of the larger herds further out over the hilly grasslands.
Mar 26, 2024 2:33 am
OOC:
I'm guessing that the "4" is underneath the film projector icon.
Blornvid stares in awe at the dinosaurs. To no one in particular, he says, "Have ye ever seen such a thing?"
OOC:
And which kind of dinosaurs might we be looking at? Sauropods? Something with horns or armor?
Mar 26, 2024 4:05 am
OOC:
updated map, hopefully the numbers are clearer
Mar 26, 2024 11:35 am
"Not I, they are like dragons or cows, dragon cows.", says Barley staring across the fields at the lumbering but majestic beasts as they graze.
Mar 26, 2024 12:53 pm
The hers you spot havve several varieties of donosaur. The largest are beasts larger than some buildings with lang neck that are grazing on tree tops. North by the river are some cattle sized beasts wading and swimming as well as some bird like versions of the beasts. Others if varying sizes graze further to the west and south.
https://i.imgur.com/RAf2W2Dm.jpeg https://i.imgur.com/0ZjLU3h.jpeg
https://i.imgur.com/QevjfH7m.jpeg https://i.imgur.com/ggwDcRMm.jpeg https://i.imgur.com/TifSy2q.jpeg
Mar 26, 2024 1:02 pm
These beasts would kill us in one bite. How can we make sure that they are herbivore? Should we just take the risk to get closer?
Mar 26, 2024 3:11 pm
Ealdwig being very short, is having a tough time seeing all the new creatures. He can see a few of the bigger ones and is transfixed by them, staring wide eyed.
ForeverDED says:
[ooc]
Blornvid stares in awe at the dinosaurs. To no one in particular, he says, "Have ye ever seen such a thing?"
Without taking his eyes off them, he replies to Blornvid nope.

Ealdwig is pulled out of his trance hearing Karrik's comment about getting closer. Incredulously he says, are you mad? Closer?

Ealdwig keeps his head on a swivel the rest of the trip, figuring at any moment something can come out of the high grass and eat him.
Mar 26, 2024 4:19 pm
OOC:
I figure Skeeve had no chance at the shaman side-trip, as he was so focused on figuring things out at the Tower.
Skeeve is outright stunned at the sight of the great beasts they were watching. "I have seen a lot of weird and wild things. These creatures are magnificent!"
OOC:
Beware the feathered lizards!
Mar 26, 2024 5:15 pm
MoyenBateau says:
These beasts would kill us in one bite. How can we make sure that they are herbivore? Should we just take the risk to get closer?
"If they weren't herbivores, they'd be after us already."
Mar 27, 2024 1:15 am
OOC:
The idea was that you could hit the shaman's hut on the way to the western grasslands and the Remnants. But since the majority already posted here we'll just continue here. I will update later tonight
@Stalker05,@Cathamber : The party is in the Westward Expanse
Mar 27, 2024 2:27 am
OOC:
Sorry, I could have posted to see the Shaman. Maybe we will be able to stop by on the way back.
Mar 27, 2024 4:47 am
[ +- ] map
Taking a closer look at the map you figure if you want to go to the library (B) you need to head SW. Straight to the west you can see one of the "Remnants", the residential one (A), that looks to be a walled off area of buildings. The SW path has a bit more recent traffic you presume that the expedition does send their researchers there occasionally. But if you want to stick to the trails and reach the other remnants you should head west past the Residential.

However the presence of the nearby herds indicates that these groups are either fast enough to avoid the beasts or large enough to discourage them. Herbivores have been known to be dangerous if not handled properly. As you watch the dinosaurs you are comforted that most you see seem to be grazing though you do note that the fliers look to be fishing in the river. The question is, if these are are herbivores, where are the carnivores that prey on them?

Where are you going?
Mar 27, 2024 6:05 am
Arc feels happy to be able to travel again, even better, travelling with the group... not alone like last time. And he somewhat preferes to walk to the residencial remnant, and from there decide were to go next... probably point C?

When I arrived in this land, by one of those bizarre storms, I landed close to these animals Blornvig. Magnificent and dangerous Skeeve. Now recalling some of his research about animals in the Tower, he feels confident in sharing more information. They are called dinasours, they come both in herbivorous and carnivorous species. You can all differenciate these two groups by looking at the head and teeth, and to their legs. Most carnivorous have huge mouthes with sharp teeth, and walk in two legs. Most herbivorous have flat teeth, walk in four legs and some have sort of body protection like horns and frills for defense. Most flying ones are carnivorous.

Now recalling his own previous experience, he takes out his bow and makes sure his quiver is at hand...

The herbivorous won't mind us as long are we keep some distance. If we move closer Kaarik, they may consider us hunters and will take defensive measures... If we ever really need to bother them, I'll try to speak to them first, but if it is not needed, it is best to stay away.
As for the carnivorous...The small or medium-sized carnivorous usually hunt in groups, they could jump from these tall grass at us if they think they have an easy prey. If some do, they will try to divide our group to focus on the smallest divided party. It is wise walk together with weapons ready, and if we leave the trail do not to make too much noise.
On my way here I was attacked by a group of four hunters, luckily I survived! Now we have strength in being a big group.

Arc looks at the sky to see if there are any flying dinasours around, beside the fishing ones by the river.

Hunters hide in the tall grass but can be seen from the sky. If it makes you feel safer, I could do a small flight around our area to see from above if we are walking into a group of hunters or if we are followed.

Only if there are no flying dinasours close to them, Arc jumps high and does a quick aerial reconnaisance between their location and the residencial remnant. He remembers how high his attackers could get and flies just a bit higher. But if bigger flyers seem to notice him, Arc will immediatly go back to the group.
Last edited March 27, 2024 6:32 am

Rolls

Hunters in the trail between them and residencial area? - (2d6)

(35) = 8

Hunters following them? - (2d6)

(16) = 7

Mar 27, 2024 12:38 pm
OOC:
Just a side note about how I view Beast Speaker
I view them as extreemly simpe NPC with limited IQ and emotins as well as heightened instincts. Talking to them dos not automatically mean they are friendly, as you may have noticed already. Like with people, beast take time or the right conditions, or a good roll, to convince. It may not be a bad idea to approach beast to et them used to you before actualy needing something from thm.
A couple of the largere fliers circle the area but most stay over the river. Based on ARc's experience he estimates that some of the fliers have larger wings than he does though most are his size or smaller The most common fliers have total wingspans about a wide aas one or Arc's wings (5-6')

Judging a short flight of limite altitude to be safe enough Arc launches up into the sky before circling abouve the others for a short moment. Scanning the grassy area Arc confirms that the open areas are dominated by the larger dinosaurs but there are smaller ones near the tree cover and river. Some of these definitely have the look and behavior of hunters. Fortunatley you have yet to catch the attention of any predators.
Mar 27, 2024 1:56 pm
OOC:
Ignoring the dinos for a moment, I just want to make sure of something.
A is a residential for us remnant that has been explored, at least some.
B is the library remnant.
C and D are remnants that are known, but as of yet unexplored.
What is E?
"I think we should be ambitious. Let's make a full circuit. We can go through the Residential Remnant to the first unexplored Remnant to the west of it. Then we can head sound to the other unexplored Remnant, and then hit the Library on the way back. If we are really lucky, one or all of them will have a Matrix Node."
Mar 27, 2024 2:15 pm
OOC:
it is on the Info sheet, maps, are map, also on the first map post in this thread. E is a large castle currently under orc control
Mar 27, 2024 4:42 pm
daryen says:
"I think we should be ambitious. Let's make a full circuit. We can go through the Residential Remnant to the first unexplored Remnant to the west of it. Then we can head sound to the other unexplored Remnant, and then hit the Library on the way back. If we are really lucky, one or all of them will have a Matrix Node."
OOC:
So A, C, D, B. Giving E a wide berth.
Mar 27, 2024 6:35 pm
OOC:
Sorry Psybermagi, I didn't fully get It. Arc checked the area around the trail between our position and point A (Residential) and then the area behind us. I understand that, while there are some hunters near the river and trees, none of those groups are near the road we need to take to go to A, so it will be safe to walk. Am I right?
OOC:
Yes, I am getting better at understanding how beast speak works. Since we won't be staying too long in this área, Arc doesnt think he will have the time to befriend any of these dinasours properly. Thats why he suggested not to get too close to any of them.
I agree with Skeeve and Blornvid, Let's do a tour A, C, D and B. We can leave that Castle (E) for later. And after B, some of us can visit the druid.
Last edited March 27, 2024 9:47 pm
Mar 27, 2024 7:07 pm
Skeeve nods his head in assent.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.