Chapter 6.2: Daring Rescue

load previous
May 14, 2024 4:49 pm
Trade Era 1235, Day 163. 12:30:12 UTC
With a fizzle and a bang, R1 explodes after Douklan’s shot. The air filled with the acrid scent of burning electronics, mingling with the scent of ozone and smoke.

With the chaos of battle still echoing in their ears, Maya and James emerged from the relative safety of the warehouse, their senses on high alert as they ventured back into the fray, the robot hot on their heels.

https://i.imgur.com/a3X7yHy.jpeg
OOC:
Next round! What do you do?

Trade Era 1235, Day 163. 12:30:12 UTC
OOC:
Quote:
this is going to be rough…
Unpredictably so! I'm looking forward to playing it =)
Mercer's muscles tensed as he swung his vibrosword, aiming to cleave through the cybernetically-enhanced ape's defenses. But to his dismay, the creature anticipated his move, dodging with unexpected agility.
OOC:
Either way, the ape takes 2 damage from Shock due to your ‘Shocking Assault’ focus
Moreover, Hank's laser rifle spat another burst of energy, but the beams sizzled harmlessly past.

Then, instead of using his claws again, this time the ape retrieved a small device from its back—a Force Pavis, an Elder force disc projector capable of absorbing all manner of small arms fire.

"What?! It has a force pavis!" Mercer thought, with envy and frustration, having heard about it but never having seen one in person before.

Rumors said that one of the megacorporations in New Jordan had reverse engineered it and were able to build and sell some shields, but its components were incredibly expensive, so it was never a common equipment. Even the best ITC’s Marine armory didn't include them.

Regardless, holding it with one of its hands, the ape grinned menacingly, its primal instincts augmented by the Elder’s technology as it activated the device. A shimmering blue barrier materialized before it, crackling with energy.

https://i.imgur.com/gPDShHy.jpeg
OOC:
Next round! What do you do?

Rolls

R2 vs Peter AC18 - (1d20+1)

(11) + 1 = 12

May 14, 2024 5:19 pm
OOC:
First it can attack twice in a round, and then it has a Force Pavice, Mercer is jealous of an ape...
Mercer tries to steady and attack where the ape isn't protecting by the Force Pavice.

Rolls

Mercer Canaan Furio: Stab - Usual roll - (1D20+4)

(13) + 4 = 17

Mercer Canaan Furio: Vibroblade (Advanced Medium) - (1D8+1)

(1) + 1 = 2

May 14, 2024 6:45 pm
After seeing one of the robots get inside the store after the others Peter says to Douklan:

"Keep an eye on the one inside, i got the other one"

he will shoot a burst on R2

Rolls

Peter Morgan: Laser Rifle (burst) - ToHit - (1d20+5)

(11) + 5 = 16

Peter Morgan: Laser Rifle (burst) - Damage - (1d10+2)

(2) + 2 = 4

May 14, 2024 6:47 pm
OOC:
So, to be clear, Hank can't hit the Ape now that it has it's magical shield? Or does it just make its AC higher? May I assume that Hank's best option is to keep firing to make sure the force pavis is pointed at him rather than Mercer?

Either way, Hank can't do melee. It would be pointless and he has no weapon other than the laser rifle.

EDIT: Also, is Hank at a "dead end"? I assume that to move forward he would have to do some jumping and exercising his Exert skill. Is that correct. (Yes, I know he has no Exert skill.)
Last edited May 14, 2024 7:03 pm
May 14, 2024 6:58 pm
daryen says:
OOC:
So, to be clear, Hank can't hit the Ape now that it has it's magical shield? Or does it just make its AC higher? May I assume that Hank's best option is to keep firing to make sure the force pavis is pointed at him rather than Mercer?

Either way, Hank can't do melee. It would be pointless and he has no weapon other than the laser rifle.
OOC:
It just makes the AC go up. I know the item from the book, TC5, it's cool.
Picture something like: https://i.pinimg.com/736x/17/80/59/1780591bc45ad3ec93775cdaadcbf018.jpgor like the Halo Hardlight shield. Pavices are large shields.
I assume it's AC 15-16 now.
Last edited May 14, 2024 7:04 pm
May 14, 2024 7:07 pm
OOC:
OK, assuming Hank is at a dead end that requires a skill (he doesn't have) check to progress, he will fire away ...
Hank sighs at the increased difficulty and fires away again. He's now down 9 charges.
OOC:
As a total aside, I modified my character sheet to calculate the Attack Bonus in the dice roll buttons automatically from the level.
Ooo. Forgot to add in the burst mode bonus of +2, so that roll is actually 18. So, hopefully that is a hit. Here's the damage ...

EDIT: Oh! I totally missed that most energy weapons (including the laser and plasma weapons we are using) get a "free" +1 to hit! Ignoring the past, that means that my roll for this attack is really a *19* to hit! Woot!
OOC:
Also, I am not sure if the anti-robot team has been using that +1 they are entitled to!
Last edited May 14, 2024 7:43 pm

Rolls

Hank Heron: Shoot at Ape - (1d20+1)

(15) + 1 = 16

Damage to Ape - (1d10+2)

(10) + 2 = 12

May 14, 2024 7:46 pm
OOC:
Thanks for the example pictures!

BTW, assuming we kill this Ape quickly enough, be sure Mercer takes that force pavis! If you are going to go sword-n-board, then make sure you have a kick-ass board!
Last edited May 14, 2024 8:58 pm
May 14, 2024 8:05 pm
OOC:
I was going to ask if you were ok with Mercer taking it, but was going to ask in character.
Thanks.
May 14, 2024 9:00 pm
OOC:
Oh, we should still do it in character. But Hank has no use for it, and Mercer is like a perfect fit for it. Let's hope the Ape doesn't break it or anything before you can claim it. Hopefully 14 points more is enough to finish it off!
May 14, 2024 11:19 pm
OOC:
Thanks for the pictures PhoenixScientist! That's how I imagined it as well.

Indeed, the pavis just increased the ape's AC to 16, so Hank did hit it. Mercer as well. I rolled damage for Mercer in your post. It was enough to kill it. So Hank and Mercer's combat ended.
Trade Era 1235, Day 163. 12:30:18 UTC
Mercer gritted his teeth, his grip tightening on his vibroblade. With a silent determination, he lunged forward, his blade flashing in the dim light as he struck at the creature's exposed flank.

The ape recoiled, its augmented muscles straining against the onslaught. But Mercer pressed on, his movements fluid and precise as he danced around the beast's attacks.

Hank fired another burst, the laser beams slicing through the air with deadly accuracy. This time, the ape staggered, its movements slowing as the damage took its toll.

With a final, decisive blow, Mercer drove his vibroblade deep into the creature's chest, severing vital circuits and bringing it crashing to the ground in a heap of twisted metal and flesh. As the cybernetically-enhanced ape fell to the ground, its metallic body convulsing in its final moments, the Force Pavis clattered to the floor with a resounding clang.
As the echoes of battle faded, Mercer and Hank stood amidst the aftermath, their breaths ragged but victorious. Approaching cautiously, Mercer picked up the force pavis, turning it over in his hands. The device was still working and recently fabricated, its sleek surface devoid of any signs of wear or decay. But what intrigued them most was its design—it bore all the hallmarks of Elder technology.

"This isn't man-made," Hank remarked, his voice tinged with wonder. "It's Elder's design. Probably made recently, somewhere in or near the Forbidden Regions."
OOC:
What do you do?

To act:
- Hank
- Mercer
- Douklan
May 14, 2024 11:23 pm
Mercer has questions about where it could have been made, by who, why, and how.
But there were still people in trouble, "We have to keep moving." Then he gestures to the Force Pavice he is holding. "You don't mind if I... "
May 14, 2024 11:23 pm
OOC:
Quote:
I am not sure if the anti-robot team has been using that +1 they are entitled to!
They were. You weren't, so I even put this observation in your character sheet, to remind us whenever you shot. I have considered it before this round. (but generally it didn't matter, you usually hit or missed by a lot)
May 15, 2024 2:14 am
After examining it for a minute, he hands the force pavis back to Mercer.

"Take the force pavis? Of course I don't mind! You're the one using a sword. Might as well have the shield to go with it. Just be warned that Professor Stone is gonna wanna borrow it for study when we all get back together. But sure, it's yours.

I agree. Let's get moving! But, before we go, please cut its head clean off. I don't want to find out if it can repair itself."

After a quick decapitation, they are on the move again.
Last edited May 15, 2024 2:16 am
May 16, 2024 11:40 pm
daryen says:
Also, I am not sure if the anti-robot team has been using that +1 they are entitled to!
OOC:
Can't speak for anyone else, but I have been.
Douklan nods at Peter's suggestion, turns, and tries to take a shot at R5 through a hole/over the top of the wall. ::Getting low on plasma charges...::
OOC:
Note that, if there is absolutely no line of sight on R5, Douklan will shoot R2 instead.
Last edited May 16, 2024 11:41 pm

Rolls

Plasma Project, damage on a hit - (1d20+6, 2d8+1)

1d20+6 : (16) + 6 = 22

2d8+1 : (64) + 1 = 11

May 17, 2024 12:08 pm
Trade Era 1235, Day 163. 12:30:18 UTC
Douklan is unable to take a shot at R5, as the robot is completely inside the warehouse and behind its walls. So he shoots and destroys R2.

Either way, R5 can't fire at him either. So a low, ominous hum fills the air as the last remaining combat robot maneuvered through the debris-strewn floor on its sturdy treads inside the warehouse. Its sensors scanned the area, seeking out any signs of movement or heat signatures from Maya and James.

Fortunately, they had exited through the front door just moments before, but the robot was not far behind. Its mechanical joints creaked slightly as it navigated the cluttered space, pushing aside rusted crates and broken equipment in its path. Finally, it left through the front door, the echoes of the ongoing battle outside seemed to beckon it forward, promising further conflict and potential targets.

https://i.imgur.com/6NqSt4T.jpeg

Maya Chen
Doctor Maya Chen, now a few meters away from the warehouse, ducked behind a large dead tree, her breaths ragged from the tension and exertion. She peered back toward the warehouse, watching the entrance and dreading the sight of the robot emerging in pursuit.

James (Synth Alpha)
In the meantime, Corbin lay sprawled on the ground, his body motionless and his face pale. Leaving the warehouse, James's optical sensors scanned him for signs of life, quickly identifying a faint but steady heartbeat. Relief, in whatever capacity a robot could feel, surged through James's circuits. Without hesitation, it calculated the fastest route and sprinted towards Corbin, his mechanical legs propelling him swiftly across the battlefield.

https://i.imgur.com/NlubV47.jpeg
OOC:
Next round. To act:
- Douklan
- Peter
May 18, 2024 9:56 pm
::Last shot, Duke.:: Douklan thinks as he sights down the muzzle of the whining plasma projector. ::Better make it count!:: Then he releases his last plasma sphere at R5 as the robot trundles into view.
Last edited May 18, 2024 9:57 pm

Rolls

Plasma Projector, damage on a hit - (1d20+6, 2d8+1)

1d20+6 : (8) + 6 = 14

2d8+1 : (31) + 1 = 5

May 19, 2024 12:06 am
OOC:
Don't forget that Hank refreshed everyone's Type-A cells on the other shuttle. You should have a full set of cells when you started this long walk to the shuttle crew.
May 19, 2024 4:25 pm
OOC:
The assault suit actually has a built-in energy
feed interface. It allows the wearer to connect it to any one weapon or device that uses a type A power cell as a Main Action. So long as the device remains connected to the suit, it is treated as having unlimited ammunition.

You can connect your plasma projector to it next round.
Even though Lt. Paravides hit the robot, it was not enough to destroy or incapacitate it. With a menacing intent, the robot turned his guns towards Douklan.
OOC:
To act:
- Peter
May 19, 2024 7:42 pm
OOC:
How close are Hank and Mercer?
May 19, 2024 11:13 pm
OOC:
Quote:
How close are Hank and Mercer?
Between 1 and 2 minutes. Its in a previous post, plus the rounds it took you to kill the ape, minus what you already walked while you were not fighting and the rest of the crew was. I can check that in a couple of rounds, it will take you at least 10 from now.

PS: To be honest, I don't have that exact number of turns written down because I don't think you'll make it in time for this fight, but we'll see. Also, as soon as we are no longer tracking seconds, you can catch up and it will be irrelevant :)
load next

Thread locked