Need testers for some big changes on staging

load previous
Sep 8, 2024 1:55 am
Keleth says:

I think this is where some confusion has been coming in. We have bookmarked games on the home page (I just put in that fix, can you check FlyingSucculent). That's staying, regardless. I was thinking of removing all the dropdowns in the header for v2.
Oh yeah, I forgot about that spot. Just checked staging and the bookmarked games section on the front page is working for me.
Sep 8, 2024 1:55 am
Keleth says:
Ok, here's what I've done with the header:

Characters - If you have no characters favorited, it shows your first 6 characters, alphabetically. If you have characters favorited, it shows all your favorited characters only, alphabetically.

Games - If you have no games favorited, it shows your first 6 games, sorted by if you're the gm or not, then alphabetically in that sub group. If you have games favorited, it shows all your favorited games, sorted by if you're the gm or not, then alphabetically in that sub group.

Thoughts?
That seems reasonable to me
Sep 8, 2024 4:39 am
Keleth says:

I think this is where some confusion has been coming in. We have bookmarked games on the home page (I just put in that fix, can you check FlyingSucculent). That's staying, regardless. I was thinking of removing all the dropdowns in the header for v2.
Actually, on closer inspection, staging is missing a bookmarked game for me. It's a game I'm not in, but I had bookmarked on the main site before migration (HERE). New bookmarks on staging of games I'm not in are added to that section of the front page.
Sep 8, 2024 11:03 am
Keleth says:
I think this is where some confusion has been coming in. We have bookmarked games on the home page (I just put in that fix, can you check FlyingSucculent).
On one hand, it matches the data in the /games/my menu on staging.
On the other, both don't match prod. Some games I haven't had bookmarked in years showed up in both /games/my and Bookmarked Games on the main page (specifically 2434 and 3186).

Edit: also, the main page seems to have lost Latest Public Posts section?
Last edited September 8, 2024 11:07 am
Sep 8, 2024 1:53 pm
I'll look into all 3 games. I may not quite have the query down right. And I'll look into the Latest Public Posts section.

While I'm at those, since we've made a lot of progress, anyone know of any other bugs I still missed? I went back through the thread and think I caught everything. If nothing is standing out, what I can do after I fix the favorites issue at hand is do another data dump, do the updated steps, to make sure it works as expected, and then we can do a clean run through.

We're close, I think. Fixing some of these bugs seems to have sped staging back up?
Sep 8, 2024 1:57 pm
FlyingSucculent says:
Keleth says:
I think this is where some confusion has been coming in. We have bookmarked games on the home page (I just put in that fix, can you check FlyingSucculent).
On one hand, it matches the data in the /games/my menu on staging.
On the other, both don't match prod. Some games I haven't had bookmarked in years showed up in both /games/my and Bookmarked Games on the main page (specifically 2434 and 3186).

Edit: also, the main page seems to have lost Latest Public Posts section?
I think the database was over a week old, so there weren't any "latest" posts. I just made some post now, check again now.

Also, staging is working for me again and is working fast again.
Sep 8, 2024 2:22 pm
Chalrytharendir says:
I think the database was over a week old, so there weren't any "latest" posts. I just made some post now, check again now.
Hmm, it did appear. Although last time this was the case (before import?), there was still the heading and just no posts, which is what threw me off this time. :'D The main page looks very odd when these sections disappear, but I suppose it's not necessarily a bug.
Sep 8, 2024 2:27 pm
Keleth says:
While I'm at those, since we've made a lot of progress, anyone know of any other bugs I still missed?
Did you look into ACP group permissions (report post, follow-up)?
Also can't rename player groups in ACP on both prod and staging.

No one ever confirmed if notifications are checked, someone with active subscriptions should get on that. (I don't know how they should work, so not a good tester.)

Edit: mark as unread doesn't work for me.
Last edited September 8, 2024 2:30 pm
Sep 8, 2024 3:16 pm
Keleth says:
... do another data dump, do the updated steps, to make sure it works as expected, and then we can do a clean run through.
I also have one game that is Favorited on prod but not marked as such on Staging. If these are the only things that are getting lost on the transfer it is not a bit deal, we can also always rebuild the 20 items in the favorite lists... but why is stuff getting lost? Let's see what the next data dump does.

User portraits did all transfer through, but we were told to ignore that issue.
Keleth says:
... I think. Fixing some of these bugs seems to have sped staging back up?
Speed seems good.
Keleth says:
... anyone know of any other bugs I still missed? ...
Emojis are still showing wrong, as seen in staging's version of this thread: [ref].
FlyingSucculent says:
... No one ever confirmed if notifications are checked, someone with active subscriptions should get on that. ...
They were working, but are not working now.
Emails would probably not get through since staging is trying to sign mails as gamersplane.com and does not have the key, but I am not seeing logs about any attempts to send at all.
Sep 8, 2024 3:18 pm
Chalrytharendir says:
Actually, on closer inspection, staging is missing a bookmarked game for me. It's a game I'm not in, but I had bookmarked on the main site before migration (HERE). New bookmarks on staging of games I'm not in are added to that section of the front page.
I was not returning retired games, but it makes sense to leave retired games returning for favorites.
FlyingSucculent says:
2434 and 3186
Did you mean 3086? 3186 doesn't show up on staging or prod. And if you did mean those two, they were both in the data dump I took for the transfer. They're not in prod now, and doing a data dump at this time shows they're not in those values. I'm guessing you had them favorited at the time.
Sep 8, 2024 3:22 pm
The game that is missing from my favorites on staging is the 💡 Gamers' Plane development which I added to my favorites on prod when we started the issue with the emojis, so it might not have been favorited at the time the data was dumped?
Sep 8, 2024 3:25 pm
vagueGM says:
I also have one game that is Favorited on prod but not marked as such on Staging. If these are the only things that are getting lost on the transfer it is not a bit deal, we can also always rebuild the 20 items in the favorite lists... but why is stuff getting lost? Let's see what the next data dump does.
So far, it hasn't appeared to be missing, rather the queries I'm writing don't quite do what we want. It's been incremental improvement. As noted just above, I was filtering out retired games. Was the game you favorited that wasn't showing up retired? Can you give me the id?
vagueGM says:
User portraits did all transfer through, but we were told to ignore that issue.
I haven't copied any images over, so portraits won't show. Some images are hardlinked to gamersplane.com, while others are relatively linked, so it depends.
vagueGM says:
Emojis are still showing wrong, as seen in staging's version of this thread: [ref].
vagueGM says:
Can you clarify? They're not showing up now on the home page top?
vagueGM says:
Emails would probably not get through since staging is trying to sign mails as gamersplane.com and does not have the key, but I am not seeing logs about any attempts to send at all.
I shut down the postfix server to avoid emails going through while I figure out why it was sending emails it shouldn't be. But yah, I never set up a staging key, a problem for later.
Sep 8, 2024 3:44 pm
Keleth says:
... Was the game you favorited that wasn't showing up retired? ...
Not retired. When I add to the list on staging it shows.
Keleth says:
... Can you give me the id? ...
Keleth says:
... I haven't copied any images over, so portraits won't show. ...
No worries then. :)
Keleth says:
vagueGM says:
Can you clarify? They're not showing up now on the home page top? ...
This was about notification emails. Sorry for the confusion, words are hard. :)
Keleth says:
... I shut down the postfix server ...
Good idea. I started it again for this test, and no mails showed up in logs.

I shut it down again in case there were problems.
Keleth says:
... I never set up a staging key ...
There is a staging key, and opendkim appears to be configured to use it. The logs from 8 days ago show it was trying to use prod's domain and keys at that time, but it should use be using the correct ones now.
Sep 8, 2024 3:50 pm
Keleth says:
FlyingSucculent says:
2434 and 3186
Did you mean 3086? 3186 doesn't show up on staging or prod. And if you did mean those two, they were both in the data dump I took for the transfer. They're not in prod now, and doing a data dump at this time shows they're not in those values. I'm guessing you had them favorited at the time.
Oops, accidentally copied the forum ID instead of the game's, it was 1335.
But 2434 is very strange. Is this dump a few years old? This game ended a few years ago, and I moved it from the bookmarks soon after. I'm pretty sure I never added it again.
(And 1335 definitely shouldn't be in recent dumps, it is 4 years old.)

Well, it's probably not a big problem anyway, it'd be worse if games disappeared instead of appearing!
Last edited September 8, 2024 3:58 pm
Sep 8, 2024 4:24 pm
So I messed up something BAD on staging and am doing a full data load of prod as of 5 minutes ago. It'll be unavailable while I do so. This'll be a good test of the current state of things.
Sep 8, 2024 6:21 pm
Ok, staging is back up with the latest data. Please tell me if things look good, specially for the concerns over recent posts/sections that were missing possibly due to stale data. Emoji's don't work right now (that's what I broke earlier). I'm working on it. Anything else should be good.
Sep 8, 2024 9:23 pm
It's working fast, front page looks right to me.

When I checked a game I found a few problems: Players' avatars are not all correct (e.g. mine, Harrigan, Windyridge all look correct, KCC is wrong, Len is missing), character avatars are missing, and the character menu in the footer isn't working again (shows only my character).

For comparison see player avatar, character avatar, menu:

(Note: This is a private game, so Keleth might be the only one who can check, but I've added screenshots too)

Staging
https://i.imgur.com/bCXuJFC.jpeg

Prod
https://i.imgur.com/fLc0MIr.jpeg
Last edited September 9, 2024 2:11 am
Sep 8, 2024 9:28 pm
Clicking the Games menu at the top is taking me straight to the /games/ page and not showing the menu. The Characters menu is working as intended.
Sep 8, 2024 9:29 pm
@Chalrytharendir, avatars missing is a temporary thing.
Keleth says:
vagueGM says:
• A few random players in my games are missing portraits. This might be an irrelevant symptom of how the data was transferred, but met us know if you want us to report each occurrence of such. The data seems to be out of date, so I don't know if those players did not have portraits at that time.

• Character posts are showing the player's portrait.
Yah, don't worry about the avatars.
The Games dropdown stopped showing up for me, otherwise things look fine at a first glance. And the ACP thing is fixed, yay.
Last edited September 8, 2024 9:30 pm
Sep 9, 2024 12:25 am
Character footer and games dropdown in header. I'll work on those.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.